Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: BaseCamp replacement?  (Read 755 times)

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2019, 02:54:55 pm »

I have BaseCamp. I can keep it in maps through using my otherwise nearly dead Zumo 660. I have a TomTom Rider550 and I don't care for MyDrive routing. I use Kurviger for fun routes. What are my options for a third party router? I looked at the Tyre site and remain as confused about it as ever. I don't need or want phone routing apps.

What are alternatives to BaseCamp, and will export GPX files?

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

PatM

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 994

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:45:19 pm »

I've used this Windows app in the past ITN Converter to convert different formats to gpx. You may want to check this one, it's a free app (donation welcomed).
My use was mostly to convert MS Streets and Trips est format to gpx and gdb. I've had issues when converting but creating and saving to gpx was fine.

It has route planner that uses google maps and other like TomTom maps in the background.

Ride safe!
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:58:56 pm »

Way cool! Thanks!

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Advertisement

Daboo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW F800GT
Miles Typed: 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:44:03 pm »

I've never been a big fan of using something like BaseCamp to plan routes.  Instead, I use both Google Maps and Bing Maps.  Both have their function in my routing.

Google maps has a nice ability to show Terrain on the map.  Streetview is also handy for comparing scenery along two or three routes.  And then there's a photo option you can enable that will show you photos others have posted online along the route.  It gives you a good way to narrow down a route from multiple alternatives.

Once I've figured out the route, I move over to Bing maps.  I enable the gas stations to show along the route I picked and identify which ones are spaced appropriately so I'm not running out of gas somewhere.  The gas stations pretty much fix the routing to the way I want it to be.

I then turn on the Garmin and enter those gas stations in as waypoints on my route.

No GPX files to transfer.  

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
IBA# 49894   John 14:6
st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie and 1993 Ducati 907ie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 03:42:05 pm »

I've never been a big fan of using something like BaseCamp to plan routes.  Instead, I use both Google Maps and Bing Maps.  Both have their function in my routing.
Google maps has a nice ability to show Terrain on the map.  Streetview is also handy for comparing scenery along two or three routes.  And then there's a photo option you can enable that will show you photos others have posted online along the route.  It gives you a good way to narrow down a route from multiple alternatives.
Once I've figured out the route, I move over to Bing maps.  I enable the gas stations to show along the route I picked and identify which ones are spaced appropriately so I'm not running out of gas somewhere.  The gas stations pretty much fix the routing to the way I want it to be.
I then turn on the Garmin and enter those gas stations in as waypoints on my route. No GPX files to transfer.  
Chris

I'm feel the same when it comes to BaseCamp.

Thanks for the tip Daboo. Thumbsup

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal