Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Trip to 2019 Misano MotoGP  (Read 1350 times)

kendenton
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright

Reputation 65

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord, '06 Ducati Multistrada 620
Miles Typed: 3476

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2019, 02:19:24 pm »

Misano MotoGP 2019

Don't know why most photos aren't showing in Chrome - they look fine in Firefox.  Sorry

What’s that they say about “best laid plans”?  When setting up this trip many months ago I made sure to pick a hotel in Misano Adriatico that was ideally situated for walking to the track.  Since traffic getting to and from races can be crazy (and maybe nowhere more so than in Italy!) the thought of leaving the rental car at the hotel and walking a few miles to the circuit seemed really appealing.

Then at the end of June I ruptured my Achilles tendon - “C’mon dad, trampoline parks are fun!”  Many weeks in a cast, surgery, then all weight-bearing movement required a boot.  On Monday the 9th I was cleared from the boot, and 48 hours later I was on a plane to Europe.  Now the plan of walking several miles each day to and from the track was about the worst idea possible.

I was determined to make the best of it and do as much as I could.  I really had no idea how much I would be able to accomplish, having not walked more than a few hundred feet each day for the previous 10 weeks.

Thursday, Arrival Day

Of course I didn’t sleep a wink on the overnight flight.  Had a very tight connection in Frankfurt that required me walking over a mile at a brisk pace - including a few staircases.  I was definitely hurting by the time my next flight touched down in Bologna.  An easy 1.5 hour drive on the autostrada got me to Misano Adriatico just after lunchtime.  I relaxed in and around the hotel for a bit, then took a drive out to Tavullia to check out Rossi’s hometown.  Later I picked Dave (NearlySeventy) up from the train station and we got some dinner and checked out the town.  Sleep came early and easy.

I was excited to be heading to Europe on a 747-400, the “Queen of the Skies”.  I ponied up an extra $100 for Economy Plus so I could stretch my leg out during the long overnight flight.  Very glad I did.

Scoped out the parking situation on Thursday when I arrived at Misano.  There were actually quite a few lots very close to the circuit, provided traffic would allow us to get to them.

The Park Hotel Kursaal was right across from the beach

Approaching Tavullia you can’t miss VR46 world headquarters

The center of Tavullia has the Rossi fan club, official Rossi store, restaurant, etc.  It would be much more crowded Friday when we drove through again.

Rossi Fan Club did a brisk business

Welcome to Tavullia

Da Rossi pizzeria and VR46 official store

Yeah, I joined the fan club and got a hat.  “Fully immersive experience” lol

Been a long time since the bells of that church have rung out for a Rossi victory

Back in Misano Adriatico it was pretty easy to find yellow shirts to buy

Can't wait!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:28:53 pm by kendenton » Logged

I miss my sig picture.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

kendenton

Reputation 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:20:19 pm »

Friday, Part 1 - Free Practice

I knew from the outset that I wanted to sit in the Rossi fan area and was happy to get seats in Brutapela Gold near turns 1-3 (Tribuna E on that map).

Misano is an unusual venue in that there are different entrances depending on your stand, and the areas are not connected.  If you use the entrance for Tribuna A/B/C, for example, you can’t walk to other stands.  You would need to exit the track and re-enter at the appropriate entrance.  

At least on Friday you can use any entrance and go in any stand.  On Saturday and Sunday your ticket is only good for your grandstand, and your ‘zone’.  Since we knew we would be confined to Brutapela Gold on Saturday and Sunday we would shoot for someplace else today.

I was hoping to park closer to the track but police were blocking the main road in front of the track if you didn’t have a pre-paid hangtag so we had to park a fair distance away.  The walk was just over a mile and slow going with me limping along.

The first entrance we came to was for Tribuna A/B/C so that was our winner for the day.  Normally on Friday and Saturday at races I roam all over the circuit looking for the best photo ops – not this trip.  By the time I sat my butt in a seat in Tribuna A I was content to linger.  I also didn’t bring any of the photo ‘big guns’ on this trip.  Just the Fuji X-T2 and a consumer-level 50-230 zoom lens.

Lamborghini Hurican Performante heading to the track

Woot!

Super fans

The view from Tribuna A

Behind the stand there were a few vendor booths and some “SpeedFood”

Charity auction

New kid in town, Fabio Quartararo.  He came soooo close this weekend!

Jorge had no pace all weekend

Vale!

Maverick would have a decent weekend

Cal Crutchlow

Michele Pirro

Zarco – who knew it would be his last race of the year?

Vale!

After FP1 we wandered around our area a bit, but we were cut off from the rest of the circuit by the paddock

For the rest of the day I just wandered between Tribunas A, B and C which were right next to each other.  They were great for photos since it was on the inside of a curve, which is really unusual at a MotoGP track.  The stands were pretty empty so I could stretch my leg and move around trying a lot of vantage points.

Alex Marquez

Kaito Toba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsa71eULbY

MotoE FP

Mike di Meglio crashing his Moto-E bike

Corner workers all in insulated boots.  They have to check first to make sure the ‘red light’ isn’t on.  If so the bike cannot be moved by them.

They do love their flares

Moto3 FP

Iannone on the Aprilia.

Riding in enemy territory

Joan Mir on the Suzuki

Vale!

Maverick

Bye Vale!

Coming up, a visit to the Marco Simoncelli Museum in nearby Coriano

I miss my sig picture.
kendenton

Reputation 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:21:00 pm »

Friday, Part 2 – Marco Simoncelli Museum in Coriano

Like a lot of MotoGP fans I was a huge fan of Marco Simoncelli - SuperSic – and was devastated when he was killed during the Malaysian GP in 2011.  I would normally have watched the race that day, but I was on my way back from the STN Campout in WV.  My wife gave me the news when I got home.  Such a tragic loss, not only was he a great talent and likely on his way to becoming one of the top MotoGP riders but he had such a wonderful personality, a true spark in the MotoGP paddock.

I am fortunate to have seen him race a few times, including in 2009 when he won the only 250 race ever held at Indianapolis (in 2008 the 250’s didn’t run because of Hurricane Ike and in 2010 it went to Moto2).

I found the museum to be very moving, very emotional, and I am very glad that I was able to visit.

Marco at Indy in 2009 where he won the 250cc race

Marco riding MotoGP at Indy in 2011

Marco during the riders charity auction at Indy in 2011

The museum entrance is through the gift shop

Marco’s Minimoto bike

Oh man, this is the champagne bottle from the Indy race I attended.  That choked me up.

His 250cc days

And his final MotoGP bike.  The pit board Sad

What a great photo of Marco and his dad Paulo.

After the museum I drove Dave through Tavullia so he could see that, and it was much busier than on Thursday.  We didn’t even attempt to find parking.  Back to the hotel to drop the car off, then wander into the center of town to find some food.

This guy likes stickers

Great cheap restaurant in town, 5 euro for pasta and 5 euro drinks

Aperol Spritz, the official drink of Italy

Delicious plate of pasta and, of course, an Aperol Spritz for me

Forecast for the weekend was…beautiful!

I miss my sig picture.
Advertisement

kendenton

Reputation 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:23:11 pm »

Saturday, Qualifying

Today and Sunday we would be ‘confined’ to the Brutapela Gold section of the track.  Some creative use of Google offline maps enabled us to come around the circuit from a different direction and get to the lots closest to our stands – a real benefit to me as it meant a lot less walking.  There are a variety of parking options including free big fields, paid fields, and some private lots.  10 euro got us a spot in a lot 50 yards from our stands.

From our seats we could see most of the action from T1-T6.  Unfortunately, while we had 3 screens across from us they were all way too small to be useful.  Even zooming in with the telephoto lens didn’t help.  With all the track announcing in Italian (of course), and no usable big screens, it was very hard to know what was going on elsewhere on the circuit.

Didn’t notice it in the A/B/C Tribuna stands yesterday, but the seats in Brutapela Gold were really cramped.  Squeezed shoulder to shoulder and no legroom meant I couldn’t sit in my seat for too long as it kept my ankle in a pretty uncomfortable angle.  Thankfully the stands were not full today so I moved to a different section where I could really stretch out.

Italian police RT

Our home for the next 2 days

Great views of Turns 1-6

The view from our stand

Pretty tight area behind the stands with food and merch vendors

This passenger appears to be enjoying the ride…

…this one not so much

Crappy crop, but you can see the synchronized stoppies the Moto-X2 bikes were doing for their passengers

Going into Turn 3

We could sort of see down the start/finish straight from some places in the stand

Leaving the track on narrow roads with pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles and car traffic was a challenge.

Saw this Porsche Super 90 on the autostrada heading up to Bologna

Made a quick trip to the Mirabilandia amusement park where they opened a “Ducati World” section this year

Back in Misano Adriatico this place seemed to be hopping all the time

Another great 10 euro dinner

Big party going on downtown

Everywhere you look

I miss my sig picture.
kendenton

Reputation 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 02:23:39 pm »

Sunday, Race Day

Can’t beat this parking lot.  Knowing it was going to be much more crowded than yesterday we got to the track really early and brought reading material for the car.

Getting in

Everyone coming in to our section got a flag from the Rossi Fan Club

Morning warm up

Highside in MotoE YouTube video
Highside in MotoE

MotoE race

Vendor area behind the stand

This guy is REALLY a Rossi fan

Adds a whole new level to ‘playing doctor’

I’m all set

By happy coincidence my seat was #58

It was really a great atmosphere in the Rossi fan stands

Definitely tweaked that exhaust

4 Moto3 riders went down in the first lap alone.  Albert Arenas highsided from 4th with 20 laps to go

Moto3 action

Getting busier and busier

For the Moto2 race I had to find someplace different to sit where I could stretch my leg out.  Thankfully lots of empty first-row seats.

Moto2 riders coming through Turn 2

#7 Lorenze Baldasarri (10th place) and #21 Fabio Di Giannantonio (2nd place) shake hands after the race

Alex Marquez came in 3rd and was unfortunately was routinely booed by the fans in our stand.

Brutapela Gold

“Fine, I’ll wear yellow, but I’m not wearing a stupid t-shirt”

The tightest seating I can recall

Getting ready for MotoGP race and the arrival of their hero

More to come…

I miss my sig picture.
kendenton

Reputation 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 02:24:32 pm »

“Vale! Vale! Vale!”

Cheers for Dovi, Boos for Marquez

Let the race begin!

Rossi pit out

Rossi rides by and crowd goes crazy

Start of the MotoGP race

First laps of the MotoGP race

This could be from lap 8, 12, 16, 19, etc.  MM spent a lot of the race just glued to the back of Fabio’s bike

Took Vale forever to get around Franco Morbidelli

But when he finally did the place went nuts

Marc went around Fabio on the last lap, and Fabio fought back in front of us

Rossi managed 4th but once again Marquez was the race winner

Track invasion coming up next!

I miss my sig picture.
kendenton

Reputation 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 02:25:23 pm »

Similar to Mugello, at the end of the MotoGP race they open the gates to the track and spectators swarm in.  In Mugello the invasion included scooters and motorcycles which made for a really crazy atmosphere – Misano was much more restrained but still fun.

Like the gate holding in King Kong on Skull Island

With my Achilles injury no way was I going to be able to climb up the fence, balance across the tire wall and then jump down to the track.  I will need to find another easier way in.

And there it is

On-track with Dave

On track

A lot of folks too the pit-out lane to get to the garages.  Which were all locked up of course.

Vale!  Vale!

A large crowd gathered in front of the podium hoping for a visit from Valentino.  After a while they announced Vale would not be coming out.

Start/finish straight

Heading into turn 1

Track workers having fun

Panorama of turn 4

Looking back to turn 3

Racetrack or prison?

On the way to Bologna airport Monday morning saw caravan of HRC Honda trucks heading to Aragon in Spain

Final thoughts coming up…

I miss my sig picture.
kendenton

Reputation 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 02:25:50 pm »

Final Thoughts

Even with my mobility issues over the weekend I had a blast at Misano – no surprise!

Some of the plusses are ample close parking if you want to drive, plentiful accommodations within walking or bicycling distance from the track if you don’t, super close to the beautiful seaside, a variety of grandstands with decent views of several turns, and picture-perfect weather every day.

The atmosphere (if you’re a Rossi fan, of course) can’t be beat.  While we were seated in one of the official Rossi fan stands, the whole place is pretty much a Rossi fan stand.  Yellow is everywhere, and it’s easy to get caught up in the joy of cheering on their favorite son.  Being able to head out onto the circuit after the race is icing on the cake.

On the downside are some of the track facilities – the strict zoning sections are disappointing as you can’t roam around the circuit easily (or at all on Saturday and Sunday).  The viewing screens are inadequate – we had 3 across from our stand and none of them were big enough to see what was going on without binoculars.  The seats themselves are packed in much too tightly, the food choices are very limited, the circuit isn’t the most thrilling as it’s all flat.

Overall I’d give it a strong recommendation if you’re looking for a first European MotoGP to attend – at least until Rossi retires.  Once that happens, and the circuit loses that ‘yellow fever’ feeling it’s not going to feel nearly as special.

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to a number of European MotoGP races (thank you frequent flyer miles and hotel points!) and thought I’d share some quick thoughts on the different venues.

Mugello (2011, General Admission)

Insanity.  We were only able to go on Sunday, and had GA tickets.  No hotels near the track, crazy traffic getting to and from, parking over a mile from the entrance, campers, scooters and motorcycles allowed inside the circuit on what would normally be pedestrian walkways, vastly inadequate bathrooms, masses of people everywhere – and I absolutely loved it.  It was one giant crazy party the whole day.

Catalunya (2013, Grandstand G)

Still my choice for first-timers.  While really no hotels near the track it is an easy train ride from Barcelona, one of the greatest cities in Europe.  The venue has lots of shady hills to watch the action from, fantastic ‘stadium section’ grandstands, lots of good food options, immense viewing screens, passionate Spanish fans and overall just a beautiful facility.

Silverstone (2014, Woodcote A)

Vast.  The track is enormous, and very spread out – you’ll never feel crowded.  Driving in and out wasn’t bad at all, huge array of food and merchandise options, many covered grandstands.  The track is flat, so you can only see a few corners from any one spot.  Atmosphere was very low-key compared to Mugello or Jerez.  Photo above is not from Woodcote stand.

Jerez (2015, Tribuna X1)

Fantastic atmosphere, beautiful hilly venue, can see half the track from certain spots, lovely area of southern Spain with many historical towns nearby.  Bad traffic getting to and from, parking a long long walk from the venue, need to use certain gates for certain stands, abysmal food options inside the circuit (but great choices right outside).  Big crowds of passionate fans.

Assen (2016, Haarbocht Tribune)

Only able to go on race day, which I don’t prefer.  Can’t roam around the circuit getting a feel for the venue, can’t get any good photos, can’t experience the place without huge crowds.  Weather for the race was abysmal, even get red-flagged in the middle it was coming down so hard.  Good system of trains and dedicated busses to get to the track, decent food options.  We had seats on the start/finish straight so could only see bikes whizzing by in a straight line – in the rain.  Would need to go back here to really get a feel for the place.

I miss my sig picture.
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2330

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 08:43:41 pm »

One day when I get rich(unfortunately my time is past, sounded good though) I will get over there for a GP race.

I went to the local track and watched the New Mexico guys this weekend. Does that count for anything?

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
rajflyboy

Reputation 370

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1756

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 08:27:03 am »

Awesome thread.  

Thanks for posting this  Thumbsup

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal