Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Onboard video system recommendations sought  (Read 6545 times)

zer0netgain

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6414

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2019, 06:08:41 am »

I know I saw something somewhere, but I forget where.  A mountable video system (HD) with both rear and forward waterproof cameras.  Digital recorder.  Primary purpose to have documentation if thereís an accident.  Iíve given up trying to capture meaningful action video while riding.

Iíd want to be able to non-invasively mount the cameras (no drilling), and it would have to fit in a relatively protected area of the BMW R1200RS (under the seat most likely).  Also needs to be direct wired as my experience is that batteries donít last very long.  My existing set up is bulky, but these systems are getting better and cheaper.

I think the last time I saw something like this, the reviews were underwhelming.  Anyone can make an electronic gadget, and itís not uncommon for much of it to be junk.

Thanks.

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

HotPursuit

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 1996 Honda VF750C Magna, and 2003 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
GPS: High Desert, SoCal
Miles Typed: 49

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 11:01:32 pm »

I've been skimming on Amazon for a similar rig.  There's a lot of cheap Chinese models that are built from "quality" manufacturer components (most of them use Sony camera sensors).  From an electrical point, be sure to wire the camera to an accessory line to turn on/off, so it doesn't drain your battery.  I would look for models that start recording as soon as they turn on.  One less thing to think about on the checklist when you're getting going.

As far as non-permanent mount...  3M double sided adhesive does pretty well, but it does and will fail eventually.  There's some strong magnetic and suction cup rigs available too.  I wouldn't trust anything less than bolting it to the bike somehow.  If you have a crash bar, you could probably mount the camera to that without having to drill into the body work, or maybe even find a way to mount it to one of the forks.  For the rear, you could probably fabricate a small bracket to attach to the license plate.
zer0netgain

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6414

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:25:47 am »

I went with the Innovv K2.  I had to buy some 3M VHB tape from Amazon.  Donít want to drill holes if possible, and this type of tape came highly recommended.  Besides, most optimal mounting points would make it difficult to get a locking nut on the back side.

Advertisement

blackdeek2006

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '01 FZ-1
Miles Typed: 54

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 12:20:06 pm »

I watch a ton of youtube vids of car and bike stuff and this one https://motoprocam.com/collections/frontpage/products/motoprocam2-waterproof-dual-motorcycle-cam-system-w-wifi was recommended/used in the particular video.  I don't have it installed yet as i'm still waiting for the new ride to come in but you can test hook it up using a computer and gave really nice images.  Screen unit is pretty small and should fit under the seat easily.

Keep the shiny side up!
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 92

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 07:08:58 am »

There's a thread on dash cams (or dashcams). Search and read the recommendations there.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
zebraranger

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2017 Versys X-300, 2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Edition
GPS: Florida
Miles Typed: 63

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 03:09:42 pm »

I purchased this Garmin Dash Cam Mini last Christmas and its been flawless. It comes on and starts recording when you start the bike and shuts off when you turn the bike off. Shoots 4K video and the video and audio quality is excellent. Its the smallest dash cam on the market and people dont even notice its there. It measures 2" tall x 1-1/8" wide. Its USB powered and I run it with a 64 gig micro SD card which will record for 4 hours before it starts to record over, change the video resolution and it will run even longer before it loops.

Its operated by an app on your phone so you can change settings, download, save or review the video at any time on you phone. There's also a save button and a picture take button on the camera, so that if you want to save something or take a photo, you can do it on the camera too. If in an accident, it automatically senses it and saves the video, it also saves 30 seconds before and after the accident. I purchased extra mounts for my other bikes and the truck, it easily pops off the mount and then I can place it on any of the other vehicles.

2017 Versys X-300, 2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Edition
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal