Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: R1200RS vs VFR1200???  (Read 1512 times)

Epyon

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ‘09 Street Triple R, ‘10 S1000RR
Miles Typed: 73

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:54:45 pm »

These two would seem to be relatively closely matched to each other.  I'm surprised that I can't seem to find a comparison of them.  I'd be willing to wager that VFR is the more sporty of the pair.  There is someone that has developed Cruise control for the VFR now.  THey seem to have about equal size fuel tanks I believe.  

Has anyone had a go on both or owned both that could give use an opinion on this match up?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 11:22:15 pm »

These two would seem to be relatively closely matched to each other.  I'm surprised that I can't seem to find a comparison of them.  I'd be willing to wager that VFR is the more sporty of the pair.  There is someone that has developed Cruise control for the VFR now.  THey seem to have about equal size fuel tanks I believe.  

Has anyone had a go on both or owned both that could give use an opinion on this match up?

Haven't ridden either bike, but knew 2 people that had R1200RS' --  One stopped riding after getting married and the other got rid of his BMW and opted for a Hayabusa with soft bags and then swapped to a similarly appointed Kawasaki ZX14R...   Both loved the civilized manners of the BMW but complained about the weight doodling around town and going on spirited rides.   I'm assuming they'd have complained even more about the VFR1200 -- their complaints were about having a TOURING bike when they really wanted a comfortable sports bike.  The boxer is also NOT a sportsbike engine -- it's torquey but very low on HP -- great for real world touring and WV roads but they were outclassed when people became hooligans on fast sweepers instead of twisty mtn roads.  I had similar experiences with my modded sv650s vs people on 600RR bikes.    

I see you ride a VFR800...  I think the 1200 is a very different beast --- a refined sports-tourer as opposed to an aged sportsbike turned SPORTS-tourer (VFR800) or TOURING bike (R1200RS) -- again I haven't ridden a VFR1200 so take that with a grain of salt... I think it would compare fairly to a refined hayabusa with bags or a blackbird or the BMW K1200S.  I knew someone with one of those too -- he also swapped for a ZX14R...   His excuse was the wife didn't want to ride pillion so why bother with the weight of a SPORTS-Touring bike when he just wanted comfortable power on tap for cheap.  
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 05:31:30 am »

RS owner here.  I never cared for the VFR, and having an XX and realizing I couldn’t handle the posture anymore, the R and RS were the only bikes I tried that were comfortable for my aging bones.

The RS had EVERYTHING the XX had (with my mods) plus cruise control and steering damper to boot.  Givi makes cases for it (although only one option)...other R and RS owners had luck with other suppliers for aftermarket side cases.

It certainly is not as “peppy” as the XX (twin boxer vs. inline four), but getting to triple digits is easily done.  So, whether it’s “plodding” is a matter of your riding style.  A test ride will best let you know if you’ll love it or hate it.  In short, after I did the 600 mile break in, I took a spin on the XX and promptly sold it to another XX owner.  The difference in comfort and, therefore, speed told me I couldn’t go back to the XX...no matter how much I had loved that bike.

If you buy a 2020 R or RS, you get the new TFT display which almost eliminates the need for a Nav system.  Install the BMW app on your phone, and you have phone, music and GPS through the instrument cluster.  A dedicated Nav does more and better but the BMW option is overpriced trash (Garmin).  If you want a Nav system, you can buy what you want and install it or use a Zumo 600 series in the stock BMW cradle.  As the TFT makes you navigate to a root menu to select between phone app and Nav interaction, it’s not a big deal until and unless BMW reworks the interface on newer models.

That said, the massive difference will be cost...even if you buy a used RS.  I got mine new for just under $20K and before farkeling.  BMW makes limited production runs, so the only way to get a better deal is to buy one that didn’t sell and/or was used as a demo bike.

From a maintenance perspective, the RS isn’t bad.  Worst part is buying new tools (most everything uses security torx bolts) and the maintenance light needs a special tool to reset ($500).  As BMW will likely charge $50 a pop to reset/reprogram the light for you, the unit pays for itself over time AND you can diagnose fault codes in the field with a smartphone.

Otherwise, the RS is a fantastic choice if price doesn’t make you faint.  I don’t know if Honda let’s you test ride, but if you can test ride both...go with what you feel will make you happier.  I really didn’t want to spend so much for BMW, but it was the only option that worked for me
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 05:35:50 am by zer0netgain » Logged

Advertisement

Epyon

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 06:50:14 am »

Very interesting to hear the XX comparison.  I am currently with out a dedicated ST/Tourer as I sold my FJR and VFR.  I will likely be “inheriting” a Concours 1400 this year.  I was able to spend a long weekend with an R1200GS and absolutely loved it, especially the motor.  

Seeing the RS and remembering how much I enjoyed the GS makes me thing the RS would be just awesome.  I am a little concerned it won’t be touring enough for me (also a valid concern on the VFR1200).  Both bikes are so far  and few between I have yet to be able to test ride either.  Being in MN doesn’t help either.  I have sat on 2 RS’s and thought the seating position was fine.  But that only means so much as we all know.

The plan is to potentially run the C14 for a year or so and if I want to change use the C14 to help make a down payment.  The price of the VFR is very tempting and the fact it’s a Honda and a V4.  

I’m sure I would adjust to a more SPORT touring bike relatively easily and it gives me a good excuse to spend money on even better gear hahaha.  Or just get. ‘13 GS and be done with it haha.

If anyone else wants to chime in please do!

Zero- XX’s have been on my short list so your insight is especially appreciated.  I saw your posts in the BMW section and read some of them.  Congratulations on your new toy.  It’s good to hear more about the TFT functionality and that the recockulously expensive nav isn’t a necessity.
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 07:58:53 am »

Very interesting to hear the XX comparison.  

Zero- XX’s have been on my short list so your insight is especially appreciated.  I saw your posts in the BMW section and read some of them.  Congratulations on your new toy.  It’s good to hear more about the TFT functionality and that the recockulously expensive nav isn’t a necessity.

Before getting the XX, I asked if it would make a good touring bike.  Others called it a "willing mistress."  You could use it as a track bike, a drag bike, a sport tourer, a commuting bike.  It did everything well.  We lamented that Honda didn't take the XX and make it the foundation for the VFR line as many found it better for sport touring than the VFR itself.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1764

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 01:02:22 pm »

A little back round. Currently an R1200RS owner but previous bikes include VFR800, CBR1100XX, FJR1300, K1200S, K1300S and GSX1250FA.

Test rode the VFR1200 when I was looking to move on from my K1200S. Build quality was typical Honda nice. I liked the engine too, in the same ball park as the XX and K12/13S. I did not get along with the riding position. The reason I left the XX behind was that there just wasn't enough leg room for me on longer rides. It's not as crouched as the XX as far as forward lean but wasn't nearly as comfortable as either of my K bikes or the RS for that matter. It also felt top heavy and it is a heavy bike tipping the scales around 590 lbs. The RS doesn't have the nuclear power of either K bike but it is lighter at 520 lbs compared to the 560 of of the K1300S. I can't speak to the handling. Living in the flat lands of Central Illinois doesn't give you much of a chance to really test cornering ability during the few miles of a test ride.

I'm not really a twin guy having owned mostly four cylinder bikes since I got into sport-touring so it did take a little time to get used to the boxer in the RS. It makes great power at low rpm and is easy to ride but doesn't have that woooossshhh of power up top. It's the only bike I've ever accidentally hit the rev limiter on. That said, I feel like I'm just as fast on my RS as I was on my other bikes, you just ride it a little differently.

Looks are subjective but I didn't care for the styling on the VFR. I liked the blue better on that bike but think all of my other ST bikes were better looking. I like the RS style but it is a PITA to try and clean. Like washing an erector set.

The bag system is nice on the RS and there's a long list of options with most bikes being very well equipped. If you decide on the RS and are OK with slightly used you can save quite a bit of money, especially this time of year. The RS isn't a popular model for BMW and doesn't hold it's value very well. A low mile garage queen could save you thousands.

Happy to answer any other questions you have if there's something specific you'd like to know.

Also, no security Torx on the RS I've ever seen but regular Torx are common.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:37:25 pm by Jetpilot5 » Logged

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
lightcycle
Nomad

Reputation 36

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: R1200GS
GPS: formerly Toronto, Canada
Miles Typed: 1996

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 02:11:51 pm »

I've not ridden the VFR1200, but I've ridden the 5th and 6th gen VFR800, plus my wife used to own the R1200ST, which was the model before the R1200RS and I'm intimately familiar with the 1200cc boxer engine.

Those two bikes, the VFR800 and R1200xx are probably more closely matched in terms of power than the VFR1200, which I suspect would stomp all over the air-cooled 1200cc boxer twin. Even moving up to the newer, water-cooled R12050RS, I don't think it would be a match for the VFR1200.

Good all-day comfort on the R1200RS, typical sport-touring seating position, good useable space in the OEM sidecases. And if you spring for the newer R1250RS, you get that nifty TFT digital dash, which I think looks terrific.

Gene
Ride Reports: http://www.RideDOT.com
Epyon

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 08:16:16 pm »

I sat on an XX with Helibars and 1 inch lowering pegs and again sitting still it was pretty comfy.  I'm 5'7" 29-30 inch inseam, I've been told that I may not like the reach to the bars on the XX.  Looking at the stock lay out on cycle-ergo.com it definitely wouldn't be my first choice for slabbings that is for sure without the mods I mentioned.  I'm all about twisty roads where ever I can find them so I definitely need something to have fun with when I get some place but I don't want to ride a torture rack to get there.  I want a fairing and would really like CC and factory luggage would be a plus, but add aftermarket would be fine too.  

The prices on VFR12's are certainly in my range, a little hard to come by.  Finding a good XX will be touch considering age.  I'd love to have the TFT display on the 20 RS but that thing costs twice as much as my car.  Granted most he the year I don't drive my car so I feel like I could justify a more fancy bike....for a third bike  .

You guys that have RS's how tall are you and how do you find the bike on the highway?  Is the weather protection good enough for long days in the saddle?  Do you feel it has enough touring in its blood?
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1622

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 08:32:54 pm »

XX

Awesome bike but getting awful long in the tooth now a days

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
NinjaLady

Reputation 90

GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 09:18:10 pm »

We rode my boyfriends VFR1200f 2-up from Pennsylvania to California and back a few times and never had an issue. While in the central region of the country I can tell you the VFR is down right fast.  Razz
Epyon

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 09:29:29 pm »

XX

Awesome bike but getting awful long in the tooth now a days

True but can be had for pennies, is basically invincible, has plenty of power and still are plenty of aftermarket parts to be had.  At the same time I wouldn't mind more gizmos heh.
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1622

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 09:49:57 pm »

True but can be had for pennies, is basically invincible, has plenty of power and still are plenty of aftermarket parts to be had.  At the same time I wouldn't mind more gizmos heh.

I love the XX

My absolute favorite sporty bike of all time

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 06:36:24 am »

You guys that have RS's how tall are you and how do you find the bike on the highway?  Is the weather protection good enough for long days in the saddle?  Do you feel it has enough touring in its blood?

5’ 10”.  With a Givi windscreen placed in the upper position, I get plenty of wind protection on the highway.  I added barkbusters to shield the hands in rain.  I did save my Airhawk saddle cushion and do use it on multiple day rides.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 02:44:07 pm »

6’2” with a 34 inch inseam. The only change I’ve made was to switch to the sport seat which is the tallest of the four seat options available from BMW. The extra leg room is always a plus for me and I never have problems reaching the ground. I’m good with the stock screen for weather protection. Plenty of touring bike for me but I mostly do local or long day rides, usually doing one 4-5 day trip a year of a couple thousand miles. A good day ride for me will be 500 plus miles though.

My FJR was better for touring but was pretty big for just a run around bike. The RS is better for me as a do it all bike that’s fun when the road gets twisty but can still tour well enough to take a trip.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Epyon

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 04:17:00 pm »

My FJR was better for touring but was pretty big for just a run around bike. The RS is better for me as a do it all bike that’s fun when the road gets twisty but can still tour well enough to take a trip.

Ok this is great because I used to have an FJR.  I like some wind on me and I am not a tall dude so the stock screen was perfect for me and was almost never moved from the bottom position.  If an FJR is 100% on the weather and wind protection scale what would you say the RS is?

Your mileage sounds like the kind of miles that I want to do as well, I'd deal with the occasional wild hair up my ass for huge slabbing miles.
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 06:03:30 am »

Similar issue for me.  The BMW touring bike was nice but heavier and more top heavy than my XX.  I wanted something the same or lighter.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 09:15:16 pm »

Ok this is great because I used to have an FJR.  I like some wind on me and I am not a tall dude so the stock screen was perfect for me and was almost never moved from the bottom position.  If an FJR is 100% on the weather and wind protection scale what would you say the RS is?

Your mileage sounds like the kind of miles that I want to do as well, I'd deal with the occasional wild hair up my ass for huge slabbing miles.

I suppose the RS has about 85% of the weather protection of the FJR. I mostly notice the Yamaha gave more protection to your legs and arms. Seems like the screens are pretty close between the two. I ran the FJR screen full down and the RS screen in the down position but in the upper mounting holes. I think the width of the FJR fairing played a bigger role than the height of the screen.

Epyon

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 06:12:17 pm »

How about tank range?  What are you guys getting?
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 05:41:45 am »

Depends on how you ride.  It tends to be consistent with most other bikes ... 180-200 miles per tank.  If the bike says you need gas...don’t ignore it.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 08:05:05 pm »

Usually filling up around 180 miles. Most I've gotten from a tank of E-10 is 207. I do notice much better mileage if I run ethanol free gas. Filled up at 230 miles with 12 miles remaining showing on the dash with a tank of non-ethanol but that's pretty hard to find here in the Midwest.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal