Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Article on AMA  (Read 1571 times)

rajflyboy

Reputation 370

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1756

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2020, 01:08:30 pm »

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/amas-dingman-short-term-thinking-vs-long-term-leadership/

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

jay547

Reputation 255

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3015

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 01:38:09 pm »

I joined the AMA back in my racing days. After I quit racing, I continued my membership primarily for the roadside service. In 2014, after paying for 25 years, I became a Charter Life Member. A few months ago, my wife was at the store with a dead battery. I was at work, so I told her to call the AMA service number. She called back later and told me that they couldn't find my account information. I called the AMA and gave them my name, membership number, address, etc. After going round and round with the rep for fifteen minutes, she transferred me to "her supervisor." The supervisor told me that when I was converted to a life member, my roadside service ended - but we could reinstate it for $29 a month. I then told her that I used the roadside service in 2017 without a problem. She said that someone must've made a mistake. By this time, I was getting pissed. I'm generally pretty laid back but I truly felt like I was getting screwed. I closed with, "So I paid monthly for 25 years and this is what I get? This is bullshit!" and hung up.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 380

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 02:13:23 pm »

So quit paying for AAA and see what service you get.  

IBA #8027
Advertisement

rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 03:24:30 pm »

I joined the AMA back in my racing days. After I quit racing, I continued my membership primarily for the roadside service. In 2014, after paying for 25 years, I became a Charter Life Member. A few months ago, my wife was at the store with a dead battery. I was at work, so I told her to call the AMA service number. She called back later and told me that they couldn't find my account information. I called the AMA and gave them my name, membership number, address, etc. After going round and round with the rep for fifteen minutes, she transferred me to "her supervisor." The supervisor told me that when I was converted to a life member, my roadside service ended - but we could reinstate it for $29 a month. I then told her that I used the roadside service in 2017 without a problem. She said that someone must've made a mistake. By this time, I was getting pissed. I'm generally pretty laid back but I truly felt like I was getting screwed. I closed with, "So I paid monthly for 25 years and this is what I get? This is bullshit!" and hung up.

I dropped my membership around 10 years ago.

I hate that you had to go through that mess with them.

AAA works for motorcycles.  I was riding with a dude that was going way faster than he could handle.  Eventually we caught up and saw him standing there with no bike.  He low sided in the corner and his precious Ducati had gone 50 feet over a bank.  AAA came and pulled the bike up. We straightened some plastic up the best we could and he rode the bike off into the sunset (once again riding over his head)   

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1103

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 07:52:09 pm »

Been a member for several years, but only for the road side assistance.  I have used it a couple of times for car related problems, never for the bike. I did just renew this winter for 3 years, because road side assistance is no extra charge when you do the 3 year renewal.  Wish I had waited and gotten this special price.  

Won’t go into it here, but I will say that I’ve had several “disagreements” with AMA policies over the year, on both a personal and managerial level.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:23:40 pm »

I stop at the AMA museum every 5 years or so.  It’s very underwhelming to say the least.  U would think they would have some way cool stuff in there.

McRider

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Kawasaki EX 650R, Kawasaki Klx 250s, Triumph Bonnie (68)
GPS: Southwest Washington
Miles Typed: 451

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 01:52:07 pm »

I joined the AMA in 1970 to be able to race in district 37, and I am now a life member.  All I pay is $10 per year for the magazine, and I don't know if I would pay whatever it is for a non-life membership.  But, the AMA is pretty much all we have as far as an advocate in legislative matters, and we do need an advocate.  I would hate to see it go away.  
rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 01:55:04 pm »

I joined the AMA in 1970 to be able to race in district 37, and I am now a life member.  All I pay is $10 per year for the magazine, and I don't know if I would pay whatever it is for a non-life membership.  But, the AMA is pretty much all we have as far as an advocate in legislative matters, and we do need an advocate.  I would hate to see it go away.  

Good point  Thumbsup

Wish the membership had more ability to pick who and how the AMA is run.  

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2331

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 04:51:00 pm »

District 37?  Is that Southern California?

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
McRider

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 12:00:23 pm »

Yes.  I mostly rode desert enduros back in the 70's and 80's.  
KeithU

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '15 FJ-09, '97 YZF-750
GPS: Albany, Oregon USA
Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 12:58:32 pm »

My question, and this is an honest one: What have they done for us lately? I know they were active back in the 1980s and '90s on a federal level when there were things like the "Superbike Ban" being proposed. But these days it seems like most motorcycle-related legislation happens at the state level and I just don't see AMA getting involved. Here in Oregon BikePAC is the main organization behind changes like motorcycle self-serve, lane splitting, red light laws, etc.
rajflyboy

Reputation 370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 01:08:26 pm »

My question, and this is an honest one: What have they done for us lately? I know they were active back in the 1980s and '90s on a federal level when there were things like the "Superbike Ban" being proposed. But these days it seems like most motorcycle-related legislation happens at the state level and I just don't see AMA getting involved. Here in Oregon BikePAC is the main organization behind changes like motorcycle self-serve, lane splitting, red light laws, etc.

Thumbsup

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2331

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 01:18:47 pm »

Yes.  I mostly rode desert enduros back in the 70's and 80's.  

The good old days. I learned how to ride dirt bikes, and sharpened my skill, in the Mojave area. Mid 70s.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
McRider

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 11:42:44 am »

I know they get involved in keeping BLM and National forest land open for dirt bike trails, and also ending the practice of law enforcement setting up road checks for motorcycles.  They are also trying to stop E-15 gasoline.  There may be others, but that's what comes to mind immediately.  I would like to see them more active in promoting lane splitting, but they seem to be mum on that subject.......I suspect because a lot of motorcyclists don't approve of it.  
TheRedOnesAreFaster
Had to go with a white motorcycle to slow things down a bit.

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT, Honda CB500F, Yamaha XT250
GPS: Battle Creek, MI
Miles Typed: 2005

My Photo Gallery

Rides the Maidencruiser

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 12:45:56 pm »

I just got my 21 year pin last week.

I keep the membership for 4 reasons:

• I've been a member this long, so I might as well make it to the "Life Member" stage
  • The roadside assistance is nice to have, although it can be had elsewhere
  • Legislative advocacy for motorcycles (more so for off road at this point)
  • Occasionally, one of the discounts available is actually useful and worth the effort

The magazine rarely has anything I want to read, but it does have info on what the are doing to influence legislative issue relevant to motorcycling.  At the least, it does keep you informed on the issues in your area and nationwide.  It also has info on upcoming races and events.

I've used the roadside assistance without issue a number of times, and this is worth the price of the membership.  I wouldn't expect roadside assistance if I wasn't paying for it in some form or another- I get it free by having my membership automatically renew.  If it goes away when I hit "life" status (assuming I stop having to pay an annual membership fee as well), I'll join AAA.

Not Siegfried.  Not Roy.  But I do have a white Tiger.
Plus Ultra
Pres 4 life Central Valley chapter EOMB

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: "16 Honda CRF1000 Africa Twin 05 DL 1000 KTM 450
GPS: Nor Cal
Miles Typed: 113

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 10:34:37 pm »

Just an FYI on AAA roadside assistance. In this new reality you cannot ride with the tow driver to your destination. They will leave you stranded. Literally. Two weeks ago my work truck broke a ball joint 80 miles from home. They hauled my truck to the shop of my choice. I almost ran my phone dead trying to rent a car. Ultimately the wife was able to retrieve me. It was not a good day.

Ex Nemo Non Feces
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal