Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Sport touring is Dead  (Read 2814 times)

rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1987

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2021, 05:30:57 pm »

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2020/12/bmw-executive-indicates-sport-tourers-are-being-replaced-by-adventure-bikes-with-17-front-wheels/

I say hogwash on this.   People still want bikes with some Ass.   Heck you need some ass to hang those meals on wheels boxes  Bigsmile

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Biking Sailor

Reputation 62

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 950

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 05:53:28 pm »

My 6 year old FJ09 is what he is describing. BMW half a decade behind Yamaha?

So, ya got me reading and remembering. Way before the FJ09, and even the Ducti Multistrada, Yamaha came out in the early 1990's with the TDM 850. Was this the first of the subject bread?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TDM850
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:34:55 pm by Biking Sailor » Logged

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 07:03:28 pm »

Adventure touring.  I will leave that up to you folks out west.  

Advertisement

FJRider
Developing ADV addict

Reputation 1750

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Drifting through the Driftless
Miles Typed: 614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 11:59:00 pm »

I hate to break it to you but my GS is a superior sport touring ride than my FJR ever was. I really hate to admit this but it is true. It is more comfortable, handles better, seamless integration of GPS and phone, is just about as quick (more torque) and it is not a sphincter tightening experience on dirt/gravel roads. I can hang bigger cases on it and is not a handful at low speeds. True the weather protection is not quite as good but that's what Gore-Tex is for. It just a more comfortable place to sit than the FJR. The only concern I have is reliability. We'll see. With that being said I am looking forward to this summer's cross country/BDR ride. The really nice thing about the Boxer is its torque and compression braking. You can tool down a curvy road and not really have to brake or change gears much.

Sport touring is not dead. It's just taken a turn off road for a while.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:03:13 am by FJRider » Logged

It’s weird being the same age as old people.
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 05:04:18 am »

GS has some ass to it.  Yes it does  Lol

Biking Sailor

Reputation 62

Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, an R1200GS, a WR and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 07:28:37 am »

I hate to break it to you but my GS is a superior sport touring ride than my FJR ever was. I really hate to admit this but it is true. It is more comfortable, handles better, seamless integration of GPS and phone, is just about as quick (more torque) and it is not a sphincter tightening experience on dirt/gravel roads. I can hang bigger cases on it and is not a handful at low speeds. True the weather protection is not quite as good but that's what Gore-Tex is for. It just a more comfortable place to sit than the FJR. The only concern I have is reliability. We'll see. With that being said I am looking forward to this summer's cross country/BDR ride. The really nice thing about the Boxer is its torque and compression braking. You can tool down a curvy road and not really have to brake or change gears much.

Sport touring is not dead. It's just taken a turn off road for a while.

Having both an R1200GS and an FJR, I concur with you assessment that a GS can do twisty roads well while also able to cover long distances in comfort, just like the FJR.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
dougleo

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 01:59:46 pm »

GS has some ass to it.  Yes it does  Lol

Hondo has spoken, close the thread.
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 03:53:20 pm »

GS has more room for bags

It’s got more ass.   Bigsmile

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 254

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2564

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 04:46:37 pm »

i like all motorcycles.

BUT, this is a SPORT-TOURING site. My bikes are for "do all" purposes. Street related!!

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
FJRider
Developing ADV addict

Reputation 1750

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 07:29:55 pm »

i like all motorcycles.

BUT, this is a SPORT-TOURING site. My bikes are for "do all" purposes. Street related!!

Today you can now have both worlds.

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1123

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 08:08:35 am »

“Sport-touring” does not rely on the BIKE.  It’s not about what BIKE you are riding.  It’s about HOW YOU RIDE it.

Just because someone rides an “adventure” bike, that doesn’t mean they can’t “sport-tour”.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 09:51:35 am »

I never can understand this wanting to pile a bunch of shit on the back of your bike and go ride.   Travel light and enjoy the riding is my motto.  

Biking Sailor

Reputation 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 11:49:48 am »

I never can understand this wanting to pile a bunch of shit on the back of your bike and go ride.   Travel light and enjoy the riding is my motto.  

Playing devil's advocate... if you do some of the traveling I do, all 4 seasons on the same trip, camping, hotels, hiking, dining out, etc... you have to carry some stuff. And as much as I like soft packs on my bikes, secure lockable storage is piece of mind when away from the bikes.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15191

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 01:10:02 pm »

Day ride? Sure, I can understand that.

Two weeks across 11 countries and every type of weather along the way, as well as off-the-bike clothes for evening and non-bike days? Those bags come in handy  Thumbsup

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4856

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 02:10:10 pm »

Two weeks across 11 countries and every type of weather along the way, as well as off-the-bike clothes for evening and non-bike days? Those bags come in handy  Thumbsup

The sheriff has spoken.

and    add a spouse who doesn't want to ride her own,  and some camping equipment and next thing you know,  you've got a trailer being pulled by a CBR1100xx.    I've still railed through the corners to the point I had a solo riding buddy ask me to slow down  ...  just a bit.    Yeah sure  LOL

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 02:38:04 pm »

The sheriff has spoken.

BTW, I am sad that I lost that badge. It was such a cool thing - thanks for getting it!

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 08:14:38 pm »

Well

If you have the cash you just buy stuff on the go and dispose of it when you move on   Use washing machines when possible. Wash in sink using camp suds.  Lighten the load.  Yes it is living a bit more dangerously but you are on a freakin motorcycle.  

FJRider
Developing ADV addict

Reputation 1750

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 08:31:41 pm »

She is correct. You need to carry everything you need you might encounter on your trip. But like her, I assume, you plan stops with have laundry facilities so you can economize on clothing.

For example when me and my riding buddies are planning out moto-camping trip through Moab/Canyondlands we pick a campground with laundry facilities. It only make sense unless you want to walk to town for dinner smelling like a ripe Frenchman.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:35:18 pm by FJRider » Logged

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 02:00:09 am »

If you have the cash you just buy stuff on the go and dispose of it when you move on    

It isn't a matter of money. But who in their right mind goes out and buys (for example) hiking boots while on a trip, uses them once, and then "disposes" of them? What  a wasteful and uneducated approach to life  

Member since 2003
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 01:05:21 pm »

It isn't a matter of money. But who in their right mind goes out and buys (for example) hiking boots while on a trip, uses them once, and then "disposes" of them? What  a wasteful and uneducated approach to life  

If you got the cash. (Enjoy it). Capitalism is great.  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal