Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Sport touring is Dead  (Read 6057 times)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 01:07:54 pm »

If you got the cash. (Enjoy it). Capitalism is great.  

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of just buying a new motorcycle because the tires are worn  Lol

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

rajflyboy

Reputation 378

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2257

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:17 pm »

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of just buying a new motorcycle because the tires are worn  Lol

Meals on Wheels do get eaten.   Lol

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 267

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 3299

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 09:05:23 am »

FlyBoy! You been drinking?

Your posts sound like some spoiled trust baby. Some of us here enjoy the adventure. I think FJRider will probably agree with me here in that sitting around the camp fire at night and sharing stories with your friends about the day's ride ain't gonna happen in a Wally World looking for clothes!!!

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
Advertisement

rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 05:58:01 pm »

FlyBoy! You been drinking?

Your posts sound like some spoiled trust baby. Some of us here enjoy the adventure. I think FJRider will probably agree with me here in that sitting around the camp fire at night and sharing stories with your friends about the day's ride ain't gonna happen in a Wally World looking for clothes!!!

The most Important question = how long are you willing to wear one pair of underwear ?

02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3388

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 07:13:20 pm »

I never can understand this wanting to pile a bunch of shit on the back of your bike and go ride.   Travel light and enjoy the riding is my motto.  

Luggage / storage capability makes my bikes more versatile; even for everyday riding. I run top cases on my bikes all the time and the panniers on the Bandit as needed. My bikes would not be suitable for commuting duties were it not for the luggage.

As to “buy as you go”; pure silliness, for most people, outside of expendables.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
stevent
Aging Cafe` Racer

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '10 K1300GT
GPS: near Tacoma, Wa.
Miles Typed: 1703

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 07:14:53 pm »

The most Important question = how long are you willing to wear one pair of underwear ?

I believe 4 days is the accepted limit, front and back, then inside out front and back. Alternately you could just do a better job of wiping your ass.

Carpe` Throttleum - Loud Suits Save Lives -

"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 267

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 08:18:16 pm »

When I was much younger we would strap on a sleeping bag, some clothes and go motorcycle riding. That is what it was called. Motorcycle riding. We did it in the summer time and used the lake to take a bath. Windshield? No. Side bags? No need. Ride over 1,500 miles during the trip? No way.

We sport tour now. Our bikes have much greater performance potential than in the past. We can ride mostly twelve months now with the comfort amenities built into modern bikes. We sport ride with the ability to set up camp in a KOA/other that has LAUNDRY facilities, showers, etc. I have ridden over a week and packed everything I need and got home feeling fine.

I have sport ridden with expert level guys and toured with Vtwin 70mph guys. My FJR1300 can do both in the same day so that is what I call sport-touring when I am on the road overnight. Can I do that on a 500cc putt, putt? Can I do that on a 900 lb 1800 Vtwin? In my opinion NOPE!

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 09:22:21 pm »

When I was much younger we would strap on a sleeping bag, some clothes and go motorcycle riding. That is what it was called. Motorcycle riding. We did it in the summer time and used the lake to take a bath. Windshield? No. Side bags? No need. Ride over 1,500 miles during the trip? No way.

We sport tour now. Our bikes have much greater performance potential than in the past. We can ride mostly twelve months now with the comfort amenities built into modern bikes. We sport ride with the ability to set up camp in a KOA/other that has LAUNDRY facilities, showers, etc. I have ridden over a week and packed everything I need and got home feeling fine.

I have sport ridden with expert level guys and toured with Vtwin 70mph guys. My FJR1300 can do both in the same day so that is what I call sport-touring when I am on the road overnight. Can I do that on a 500cc putt, putt? Can I do that on a 900 lb 1800 Vtwin? In my opinion NOPE!

Good explanation.  With age ...  comes the cage.   Lol  

kver
not A doctor -- THE DOCTOR...

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 488

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 10:29:50 pm »

Riding 2-up is what made me get a sport-tourer.  I was perfectly OK with the sportbikes for day trips and multi-day trips in the summer.  Like you I strapped on a duffel on the pillion, brought a hammock with mosquito net, a camelback for hydration and ate fast food along the way.  Easy-peasy and if I suffered a bit or smelled a lot - I didn't care...  

One day my gf asked to go on an overnighter and stay in a hotel...  suddenly we needed a comfortable ride, much more storage capacity, etc....  I might get her to do the motorcycle camping thing one day  -- but so far we've stuck to nicer hotels or cute cabins on the road -- I get to ride and have company, I'm not messing that up by forcing her to rough it.    
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 267

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 08:43:29 am »

Riding 2-up is what made me get a sport-tourer.  I was perfectly OK with the sportbikes for day trips and multi-day trips in the summer.  Like you I strapped on a duffel on the pillion, brought a hammock with mosquito net, a camelback for hydration and ate fast food along the way.  Easy-peasy and if I suffered a bit or smelled a lot - I didn't care...  

One day my gf asked to go on an overnighter and stay in a hotel...  suddenly we needed a comfortable ride, much more storage capacity, etc....  I might get her to do the motorcycle camping thing one day  -- but so far we've stuck to nicer hotels or cute cabins on the road -- I get to ride and have company, I'm not messing that up by forcing her to rough it.    

Yep. My wife in the early 2000s wanted to go overnight with me so along came the 1st 2005 FJR1300!

rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2021, 08:56:35 am »

KVER riding 2up

For some reason I don’t picture that

kver

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2021, 09:11:19 am »

KVER riding 2up

For some reason I don’t picture that

Girlfriends have wanted to ride pillion since HS...   the difference is between a 1 hour ride vs a multiday ride.  
Most pillions will do an hour or two on anything and suffer as needed - but not more.  I'll do multi-day on anything and suffer as needed -- pillions will not.  Though as I get older the sports bikes see less use...    
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 07:29:14 pm »

I did 19 days in England with sidebars and a top box.  I’ve done several 4-5 day trips with just some soft bags.  I’ve camped 3-4 days with a tent and sleeping bag strapped on the rack and clothes in a couple of side cases.  I’ve also driven and towed the bike when my wife wanted to come along, or ridden and had her drive and carry the luggage.  There’s no one way that is right for every occasion.  Nor does doing it one way make anyone better than someone doing it a different way, or not as good as someone else.  You do you.  I’ll do me.  

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:21 pm »

I did 19 days in England with sidebars and a top box.  I’ve done several 4-5 day trips with just some soft bags.  I’ve camped 3-4 days with a tent and sleeping bag strapped on the rack and clothes in a couple of side cases.  I’ve also driven and towed the bike when my wife wanted to come along, or ridden and had her drive and carry the luggage.  There’s no one way that is right for every occasion.  Nor does doing it one way make anyone better than someone doing it a different way, or not as good as someone else.  You do you.  I’ll do me.  

This  Bigok

You win the prize for exactly how motorcycle touring should go  Thumbsup

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2021, 09:54:06 am »

This  Bigok

You win the prize for exactly how motorcycle touring should go  Thumbsup

See...THAT’S the problem.  There is NO “exactly”.  Just as there is NO “wrong” way.  

Stop trying to define it, analyze it, or pigeonhole it.  Just enjoy it any way you like.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Biking Sailor

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Tenere 1200, Tenere 700 and XT250. My wife's FJ09 and MT09 that I get to ride occasionally
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1291

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2021, 11:18:21 am »

See...THAT’S the problem.  There is NO “exactly”.  Just as there is NO “wrong” way.  

Stop trying to define it, analyze it, or pigeonhole it.  Just enjoy it any way you like.

Exactly! (pun intended).

I can sport tour on my GS, FJR, FJ09 or Griso, all equally well. They have different luggage methods, from full hard cases to just a little luggage rack behind the passenger seat. And I have camped off all of them.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
kver

Reputation 68

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2021, 04:14:00 pm »

Exactly! (pun intended).

I can sport tour on my GS, FJR, FJ09 or Griso, all equally well. They have different luggage methods, from full hard cases to just a little luggage rack behind the passenger seat. And I have camped off all of them.

Ironically -- I've never camped out using my sport-tourer ---  I have using sportbikes and dirt-bikes.   The sport-touring bike was bought for 2-up use and hotel stays.    
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2021, 05:18:10 pm »

Ironically -- I've never camped out using my sport-tourer ---  I have using sportbikes and dirt-bikes.   The sport-touring bike was bought for 2-up use and hotel stays.    

For Amen or awomen ? Lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:57:28 pm by rajflyboy » Logged

kver

Reputation 68

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2021, 05:40:32 pm »

For Aman  or awomen ? Lol

If that your idea of making a pass at me --- I don't swing that way ----  not that there's anything wrong with that... Smile

I told you - I like real and spectacular....
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2021, 06:57:09 pm »

If that your idea of making a pass at me --- I don't swing that way ----  not that there's anything wrong with that... Smile

I told you - I like real and spectacular....

Did you even know what I was referring too?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal