Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Motor Company on life support  (Read 3366 times)

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 09:10:49 am »

Is it for sale?  

I'm considering it (Cl;oud 9 saddle swapped back to the OEM one).  It's a 27" and I think I might need something with a little lower COG (20 sting ray maybe - LOL).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 09:14:21 am by Bounce » Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Biking Sailor

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Tenere 1200, Tenere 700 and XT250. My wife's FJ09 and MT09 that I get to ride occasionally
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1291

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 10:14:43 am »

I'm considering it (Cl;oud 9 saddle swapped back to the OEM one).  It's a 27" and I think I might need something with a little lower COG (20 sting ray maybe - LOL).

With that, I might be able to keep up with my wife when we ride together.   Embarassment

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 977

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2021, 01:47:18 pm »

I was released by HDMC after 14 years as part of the Rewire “restructuring”.   They have zero leadership, they are just chasing customers now.  

The majority of the decision makers are not riders, just push out business theories on spreadsheets and are shocked when they get it wrong.  The experience with motorcycling, knowledge of the industry by the people running thins is about 180 degrees out from when I started back in 2007.

My new Employer, KTM seems to have great leaders that ride and understand motorcycling.  They had one of their bast years in 2020 and are doing great so far in 2021.  It helps that they are in the hottest segment right now (dirt bikes) but the other dirt MFGs are not doing well.

I hope HD can find their way, they are an American staple and they deserve better than what they are gettin.  I know the quote from Unforgiven “dersevin ain’t got nothing to do with it”.  Just sayin

Prubert
Advertisement

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 267

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 3299

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 01:53:42 pm »

I was released by HDMC after 14 years as part of the Rewire “restructuring”.   They have zero leadership, they are just chasing customers now.  

The majority of the decision makers are not riders, just push out business theories on spreadsheets and are shocked when they get it wrong.  The experience with motorcycling, knowledge of the industry by the people running thins is about 180 degrees out from when I started back in 2007.

My new Employer, KTM seems to have great leaders that ride and understand motorcycling.  They had one of their bast years in 2020 and are doing great so far in 2021.  It helps that they are in the hottest segment right now (dirt bikes) but the other dirt MFGs are not doing well.

I hope HD can find their way, they are an American staple and they deserve better than what they are gettin.  I know the quote from Unforgiven “dersevin ain’t got nothing to do with it”.  Just sayin

Good read.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2257

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 07:43:56 pm »

Damn bounce.  That looks like an adventure touring bike to me.  

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
kver
not A doctor -- THE DOCTOR...

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 488

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 08:41:37 pm »

Harley should have kept Buell around -- used him as R&D and slowly worked his crazy ideas into new bikes...     found a way to keep the traditional look and feel while updating the tech -- much like Triumph has managed to do with it's nostagic bikes.  

rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2021, 09:36:08 pm »

Erik aged out too.  I loved his bikes over the years.  

Biking Sailor

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Tenere 1200, Tenere 700 and XT250. My wife's FJ09 and MT09 that I get to ride occasionally
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1291

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2021, 07:08:28 am »

Harley should have kept Buell around -- used him as R&D and slowly worked his crazy ideas into new bikes...     found a way to keep the traditional look and feel while updating the tech -- much like Triumph has managed to do with it's nostagic bikes.  

I agree, but wonder how Buell would have felt about just playing in R&D, without actually trying to make performance bikes. If they keep the streetfighter (Bronks) and the Pan Am, that may have been enough for him.

I personally would like to see them survive and put out a wider range like they teased us with. But, I've had one, and it was enough. Within 15 minutes of riding it, I went from this is old school cool to wishing I was on a different bike.

About HD longevity. In my part of the world, there are a bunch of 50 year olds starting to make some disposable cash that are wanting to buy into the HD world. As they approach 60, many will pull the trigger. As some age out, new old guys are coming in. How many bike is the only question.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 104

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1507

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2021, 10:12:58 am »

Damn bounce.  That looks like an adventure touring bike to me.  

So you're in the market, eh?

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
kver
not A doctor -- THE DOCTOR...

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 488

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2021, 11:45:16 am »

I agree, but wonder how Buell would have felt about just playing in R&D, without actually trying to make performance bikes. If they keep the streetfighter (Bronks) and the Pan Am, that may have been enough for him.

I personally would like to see them survive and put out a wider range like they teased us with. But, I've had one, and it was enough. Within 15 minutes of riding it, I went from this is old school cool to wishing I was on a different bike.

About HD longevity. In my part of the world, there are a bunch of 50 year olds starting to make some disposable cash that are wanting to buy into the HD world. As they approach 60, many will pull the trigger. As some age out, new old guys are coming in. How many bike is the only question.

I never understood the twice the weight AND 1/3rd the horsepower of my sportbikes.   I mean, 1/3 the hp is ok or twice the weight is OK but both at the same time???  

However I know quite a few women who grew up getting rides on the back of daddy's Harley, and won't ride or be pillion on anything else.  Their husbands oblidged by getting Harleys for the twice a year Sunday ride...    
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 12:35:52 pm »

So you're in the market, eh?

I have too many bicycles

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal