Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: COVID took away my motorcycle  (Read 1352 times)

blueridgerider
Kerygmist

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2007 R1200GS - Just the one now
GPS: Beech Mountain, North Carolina
Miles Typed: 1640

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2021, 03:18:16 pm »

It's been a hard year.

Because COVID regulations made it impossible to evict non-paying renters, I got put out to dry financially this past year.  Despite not getting any rent I had to make some needed repairs.  I burned through my savings on these extra expenses and had to get rid of a couple of assets - including my motorcycle. I was hand-building/renovating our barn turned cabin at the time too so really just got hit hard.  

Just glad to say I did not go into debt because of it and my renters finally moved out - still owing me thousands, but it is what it is.  I took advantage of the strong housing market and got out of the landlord business.

Anyway, I have been without a motorcycle for the longest period in my life other than age 1-11.

I am looking to get a new scoot but have been struggling with choices.  My last bike, which I loved, was a 2007 R1200GS which also has the distinction of being the only bike I ever bought new.

I think I'd like something different, and am not interested in dualsporting in my riding experience anymore.  I want to spend about 4K since I have two kids in college and am not going to finance a bike. I will probably commute 8 or so months a year (in the mountains so will not commute often in winter).

I am really thinking hard about a bike I have lusted over for years.  I still think it is the prettiest bike made and that is a K1200RS.  Probably an 02-05 model.  I have had a K bike before but it has been many years ago and it was a full boat Light Truck  (K1200LT).

I'm really just kind of thinking out loud, but definitely want a 2 up sport or Dualsport Tourer - though 97+% is just me.  Just glad to be able to look forward to riding again.  

en arch hn o logos
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 266

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2901

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 03:37:15 pm »

That is terrible financial news. I am glad you are on the right side now. I am of no help related to the Bring More Wallet bikes.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
rajflyboy

Reputation 376

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2173

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 08:00:33 pm »

Best advice

Find a sugar momma who enjoys motorcycles  Bigsmile

And switch mindset more towards the motorcycle shaped object called a Harley Davidson Lol Bigsmile

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Advertisement

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 97

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1390

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:11:52 am »

Judge Judy is full of people (being lectured by her) trying to scam landlords under the guise of COVID protections. She nailed one guy for negotiating his rent down for fear of losing his job... which (after much questioning) he never missed a check during. Her whole "you got paid even though your boss probably saw a downturn in business. your landlord should get paid too." seemed to go over his head.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Biking Sailor

Reputation 70

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, a Tenere 700 and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1069

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 12:27:20 pm »

Judge Judy is full of people (being lectured by her) trying to scam landlords under the guise of COVID protections. She nailed one guy for negotiating his rent down for fear of losing his job... which (after much questioning) he never missed a check during. Her whole "you got paid even though your boss probably saw a downturn in business. your landlord should get paid too." seemed to go over his head.

I know of a few people that, with the enhanced unemployment, ended up getting more on unemployment than when they were working at their regular job at their regular rate. I wonder how many of those people quit paying rent because they were told the landlord couldn't evict them?

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Biking Sailor

Reputation 70

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, a Tenere 700 and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1069

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 12:29:27 pm »

And switch mindset more towards the motorcycle shaped object called a Harley Davidson Lol Bigsmile

Hey! Dudes had a hard enough time. Quit screwing with him like that with a totally unreasonable solution.    EEK!

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
jdfog2

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2011 VStrom 650 & 2013 BMW R1200RT
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 06:16:50 pm »

Hey ya Blueridge

Glad things are turning around for you and I like your desire to have a great bike to RIDE instead of having one to look cool.
Apparently, you're mature like (most) of the rest of us on here. (Myself not included in that  Lol )

I like the challenge of finding a great bike for 4K and I am sure it can be done.
I hope you find a K 1200 RS that meets your needs.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. I have a 1st Gen DL650 and a R1200RT and other than the wind noise differences I actually like the lowly VStrom 650 better than my RT. But for longer trips there's no denying the RT is a much better bike for the purpose which is why I have it. (And of course the DL650 or DL 1000 both do not have the 2up comfort most large displacement BMWs have.

Anyhow, good luck !
JD

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15302

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 06:02:54 am »

Nice that you were able to come out of it debt-free, and considering that you're ready to buy a bike already, a little bit above water even!

I hear nice things about the K bikes. Maybe cast your net nationwide and make it a fly-n-ride purchase  Bigok

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3380

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 03:55:49 pm »

If you cannot find the BMW, have you considered a Bandit 1250S?

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
rajflyboy

Reputation 376

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2173

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 10:25:01 pm »

Hey! Dudes had a hard enough time. Quit screwing with him like that with a totally unreasonable solution.    EEK!

If you can make your girl happy on the back of a motorcycle that is one very very very awesome thing.   (And you know those Harley motors share good vibrations often)

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4225

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 05:44:43 pm »

Always loved that K1300S.  Good for two-up 3% of the time!

Smooth bike.  Maybe a bit heavy for the mountains, but it can jazz a little bit.

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal