Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Hey All! Been a while  (Read 818 times)

Dan K

Reputation 110

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4225

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2021, 05:50:47 pm »

I don't think I've posted in a couple years, but see some of the same people here. Nice. Hope all are well in these crazy times...

SO- took a 3.5 hour ride on my VFR1200.  For the first time ever, my knees hurt about an hour and a half in.

So I'm thinking about replacing it with a bike on which I can stretch out a bit.  Any good route to go other than a Triumph Tiger/Versys style crossover bike? Keeping the old Tuono, so it has to be good for longer rides.

Let me know your thoughts!  No idea what to do.  Thought about lowering the pegs, but it's not likely to be enough, and I haven't replaced a bike in like 6 years or so, maybe more.  Can't do forward controls on a cruiser - just shifts the problem to your back.  Like it to be fast and able to jazz a bit in the twisties I can find here in the midwest.  

THANKS!

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Biking Sailor

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, a Tenere 700 and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1056

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 07:59:57 pm »

FJ09 or Tracer 900.

Legs not too bent, easy to stand up on the bike to stretch them out. Upright riding position with wide bars so you push it like a supermoto thru the twisties. A lot of fun to ride aggressive with it's relative light weight. Motor is very entertaining without being over the top. Good gas mileage/range also.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 976

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 09:43:26 pm »

KTM 1290 Super Adventure S

Prubert
Advertisement

Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4225

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 07:36:24 pm »

KTM 1290 Super Adventure S

How does foot placement compare to the SuperDuke GT?

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 976

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 09:25:27 am »

The foot pegs are a little forward from the GT.  You leg is a little more straight than on the GT as well.

Definitely more legroom on the Super Adv S.

I don't know when you are looking or if you are looking new or used, but the new model of the 1290 Super Adventures are going to be here in the states in Jan as MY22.  It has a lot of evolutionary improvements that make it little better than the very good current gen 1290 SA (Lower seat height..from the ground, auto preload to go along with the semi-active suspension, new display with better navigation and radar cruise control.  No word on the $$ yet.

Prubert
Zixxerpilot
Where does THIS bolt go?

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: Stevens Point, WI
Miles Typed: 1459

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 09:19:50 pm »

FJ09 or Tracer 900.

Legs not too bent, easy to stand up on the bike to stretch them out. Upright riding position with wide bars so you push it like a supermoto thru the twisties. A lot of fun to ride aggressive with it's relative light weight. Motor is very entertaining without being over the top. Good gas mileage/range also.

This times a thousand! My FJ is easily the most comfortable and versatile bike I've ever had. Even moreso than my FJR was. Just make sure to get a better seat. Then again, I've never had a stock seat I was happy with.

Anyone know where I can find rubber pants my size?
jay547

Reputation 273

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 09:24:35 pm »

I have the FJ too. It's a good all-around bike. I agree it needs a better seat. If I'm going more than 150 miles or so, I put on a seat pad.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal