Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: J+M cb radio to bluetooth communications ?  (Read 463 times)

howardrichman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 301

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2021, 08:33:32 am »

My wife and I ride 2 separate bikes, both J+M CB radio since 2003. It's been much work to accomodate wiring, coax, antenna, tuning and CB radio itself onto various bikes i've owned. also troubleshooting the radio and cords are constant maintanence. When the units work, there great, but when not, frustrating. J+M discontinued there CB line recently and only repair them. the cords and headsets  can still be purchased. I've considered bluetooth commications for both our bikes, but reading reviews they all seem unreliable, finicky, short distance comm. and voice activated only. I cant figure why anyone would want to use a voice activated comm. device having no trigger to speak switch. Cardo and Sena seem to be popular, Cardo being rated #1. I cannot locate a simple communications system that allows a gps/mp3 input for music with remote talk.

Pease reply if can advise;

Howie...  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 97

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1391

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 10:06:52 am »

My wife and I ride 2 separate bikes, both J+M CB radio since 2003. It's been much work to accomodate wiring, coax, antenna, tuning and CB radio itself onto various bikes i've owned. also troubleshooting the radio and cords are constant maintanence. When the units work, there great, but when not, frustrating. J+M discontinued there CB line recently and only repair them. the cords and headsets  can still be purchased. I've considered bluetooth commications for both our bikes, but reading reviews they all seem unreliable, finicky, short distance comm. and voice activated only. I cant figure why anyone would want to use a voice activated comm. device having no trigger to speak switch. Cardo and Sena seem to be popular, Cardo being rated #1. I cannot locate a simple communications system that allows a gps/mp3 input for music with remote talk.

Pease reply if can advise;

Howie...  

So bt in your phones and call each other on Signal.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
howardrichman

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:46:40 pm »

So bt in your phones and call each other on Signal.

Not sure what you mean. just want to be able to have a ptt function.

Advertisement

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 97

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 10:14:00 am »

Not sure what you mean. just want to be able to have a ptt function.

Use the Signal App to communicate via cell phone.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
howardrichman

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 09:05:54 pm »

Use the Signal App to communicate via cell phone.

I'll look into it; but will not always have a cell signal and ptt ability.
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 97

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 11:25:11 am »

I'll look into it; but will not always have a cell signal and ptt ability.

There's no BT to BT "walky talky" app?

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
howardrichman

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 09:06:55 pm »

There's no BT to BT "walky talky" app?

I didnt know these cell phones have that capability. i'll have to check. I have an android phone. wouldn't i need cell service and have it be on w/o a pause and  still operate w/ music and GPS ?  What would to Walky-talky distance be between phones on intercom ?    
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 10:53:03 pm by howardrichman » Logged
Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 97

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 09:51:40 am »

I didnt know these cell phones have that capability. i'll have to check. I have an android phone. wouldn't i need cell service and have it be on w/o a pause and  still operate w/ music and GPS ?  What would to Walky-talky distance be between phones on intercom ?    

Depends on if you have a multi-connect radio in that model. There are also things that you can add to your audio chain that can do BT so IT could be the connect for BtB comms.  Spitballing here.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
howardrichman

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 03:04:07 pm »

Depends on if you have a multi-connect radio in that model. There are also things that you can add to your audio chain that can do BT so IT could be the connect for BtB comms.  Spitballing here.

OK. I found there is a cell phone intercom app, butt only communicates aprox. 230 ft max (fig. 200ft). Not enough for the wife and i to talk. The Cardo and Sena units can do maybe a mile.  The Sena srl-2 fits the Shoei gt air2 , but has bad reviews, and recommend to look @cardo units. i just cant get real user info on any of these units.  

TNX for reply...
kver
not A doctor -- THE DOCTOR...

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 362

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 03:22:59 pm »

OK. I found there is a cell phone intercom app, butt only communicates aprox. 230 ft max (fig. 200ft). Not enough for the wife and i to talk. The Cardo and Sena units can do maybe a mile.  The Sena srl-2 fits the Shoei gt air2 , but has bad reviews, and recommend to look @cardo units. i just cant get real user info on any of these units.  

TNX for reply...

I'm not sure I fully understand your requirements, but I use chinese knockoffs of Sena's and have a 1/4 range device to device and the ability to matrix multiple riders to get a few miles between us on bluetooth.  

While resort skiing I've used various radios with BT interfaces (2M or GMRS) hooked into my cell phone or BT headset since cell signal isn't often available in some resorts and the backcountry.  I prefer that to a stricty radio based solution for skiing since we often need asynchronous communication -- the ability to say "meet up here at X time when we're out of range of each other" --- the phone apps will continue sending a simple text message until acknowleged receipt - so we don't have to waste time trying when there's a mtn range between us  -- and 1 person at the peak automatically relays the message to people in the valley.  

Back-country skiing the radio makes more sense since we're always very close to (usually shouting distance of) each other --- but want radios so we don't have to shout.  

But back to the original question -- the reason for using a cell phone in that scenario is that it can handle multiple BT connections and swap and coordinate signals as needed -- and do things like interrupt music when a call comes in (radio or telephone) or the next turn is coming up on the GPS...      
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal