Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: adventure vs. sport touring rides  (Read 2351 times)

rajflyboy

Reputation 376

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2021, 08:25:29 pm »

Smaller Adventure bikes are much better if you actually want to do off-road or just get a bike like Jay has for going off-road (it’s worth the cash)

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

howardrichman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 301

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2021, 08:57:52 am »

I have to ask; what is this trend of either the 34+ seat height "supermoto" type street bikes sa. Tracer, the stroms,verses,ect. and the super attraction on nakeds. I tried to ride my Ninja 650 w/o the shield or even a short shield for a short ride, but after reaching speed; after a while, I've had enough. Riders are raving about touring on these highly desired bikes tells me they're puting up w/ the ride it offers. There are soo many great naked (non fairing) bikes; sa the Yamaha MT's, KTM's, triumph, Honda,and Aprilia ect.  The larger, heavier in line 4's sa. the Suzuki and Kaw GT's are the only 2 sport tourers i've noticed come to market.    

any thoughts ?

TNX...
Biking Sailor

Reputation 70

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, a Tenere 700 and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1071

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2021, 10:06:52 am »

My thoughts are the bike's ergonomics, performance, luggage options, and even looks are all subjective for the individual and how/where the bikes are used.

Both Jay and I have ridden dual sports a great deal and kind of like the familiar feel of wide bars and upright ergos on the FJ-09. Another friend of mine has never ridden off road and is more comfortable with low/narrow bars and high pegs, like on sport bike ergos (he rides/tours on a Ducati Supersport).

Figure out what you like and go with it. The cool thing is we have lots of choices and life is too short to ride a bike you are not happy on. Being able to have different types of bikes is certainly a luxury.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
Advertisement

howardrichman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 301

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2021, 10:50:27 pm »

My thoughts are the bike's ergonomics, performance, luggage options, and even looks are all subjective for the individual and how/where the bikes are used.

Both Jay and I have ridden dual sports a great deal and kind of like the familiar feel of wide bars and upright ergos on the FJ-09. Another friend of mine has never ridden off road and is more comfortable with low/narrow bars and high pegs, like on sport bike ergos (he rides/tours on a Ducati Supersport).

Figure out what you like and go with it. The cool thing is we have lots of choices and life is too short to ride a bike you are not happy on. Being able to have different types of bikes is certainly a luxury.

Speaking of Ducati Supersprt 950 and I think most of there V twin engines of reviews I've read; is there heat from the rear cylinder affecting the rider to a high degree; though I love the look and sound of them. The ninja defenetely turns in quicker than my FJ-09. Hopefully I'll demo a Aprilia tuono 660 next week, and will report my findings.

TNX for replies...    
kver
not A doctor -- THE DOCTOR...

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 362

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2021, 12:57:23 am »

Speaking of Ducati Supersprt 950 and I think most of there V twin engines of reviews I've read; is there heat from the rear cylinder affecting the rider to a high degree; though I love the look and sound of them. The ninja defenetely turns in quicker than my FJ-09. Hopefully I'll demo a Aprilia tuono 660 next week, and will report my findings.

TNX for replies...    

Any chance you will try out a Taureg -- and report back??   I'll give thanks for that  - maybe even have some turkey and wine  Smile
Jehu

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Harleys: '19 FXLR Low Rider; '18 Road Glide; '10 FLHR Road King; Suzukis: '18V-Strom 1000XT ; '16 Bandit 1250S; '13 DR650SE; '07 DRZ400. Many, former mounts ... some R.I.P
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2021, 07:08:55 am »

As has been stated, there is no perfect bike.

For long distance super-slab mile making, I like the Road Glide, (because I don't have a Gold Wing), enjoyed  both the C10 and C14 rapid transit machines I had (and foolishly sold). True dual sporting or ADV-ing with actual off-road riding, the DR650 (or the Honda and Kawasaki equivalents) are good for all but the most difficult dirt or most long/most fast pavement. For me, the Swiss Army Knife of canyon carving, super-slabbing, light off roading, load carrying and nag for the buck value is the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 though many also like the "Wee-Strom" 650.

I'm too old and too well developed in the mid-section  Rolleyes to crunch up in a sport bike for hours whilst travelling; but I'm too young at heart to only ride a Geaser-Glide or Golden Age Wing, though both are great bikes in their own right.

Make no mistake, the V-Strom 1000 is not a dirt bike - though I suppose even a Winnebago "could" be forced off-road. It's also not a sport bike but runs up, down and through the Black Hills with aplumb. It happily hauls all my stuff - and I'm a "gear is good - more gear is more good" guy. It does hyper-legal speeds for hours with a friction lock (wish it had proper cruise control) and is comfortable enough.

If always riding solo and not bringing the entire Bass Pro Shop along for the ride (as I have been accused of) the 650 Wee-Strom is also a great "Swiss Army Knife" bike.  

IBA # 72864
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 266

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2903

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2021, 12:09:56 pm »

As has been stated, there is no perfect bike.

For long distance super-slab mile making, I like the Road Glide, (because I don't have a Gold Wing), enjoyed  both the C10 and C14 rapid transit machines I had (and foolishly sold). True dual sporting or ADV-ing with actual off-road riding, the DR650 (or the Honda and Kawasaki equivalents) are good for all but the most difficult dirt or most long/most fast pavement. For me, the Swiss Army Knife of canyon carving, super-slabbing, light off roading, load carrying and nag for the buck value is the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 though many also like the "Wee-Strom" 650.

I'm too old and too well developed in the mid-section  Rolleyes to crunch up in a sport bike for hours whilst travelling; but I'm too young at heart to only ride a Geaser-Glide or Golden Age Wing, though both are great bikes in their own right.

Make no mistake, the V-Strom 1000 is not a dirt bike - though I suppose even a Winnebago "could" be forced off-road. It's also not a sport bike but runs up, down and through the Black Hills with aplumb. It happily hauls all my stuff - and I'm a "gear is good - more gear is more good" guy. It does hyper-legal speeds for hours with a friction lock (wish it had proper cruise control) and is comfortable enough.

If always riding solo and not bringing the entire Bass Pro Shop along for the ride (as I have been accused of) the 650 Wee-Strom is also a great "Swiss Army Knife" bike.  

First post?! Welcome.

I'm going to remember those descriptions!

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal