Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Renting in WV or nearby  (Read 2647 times)

Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:39:25 pm »

I just want found out that my boss wants to send me to a conference in Roanoke WV at the end of October 2007. Apart from the fact that it would be 5 days each way, I can't ride down because I live in Canada, and we almost always have snow on the ground by then where I live. I can rent though once I get down there. I assumed there'd be good motorcycle rentals that close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, but so far have found only Harleys. Any advice anyone? Since I'll have to be flying into a major airport to make connections from Canada to Roanoke, it can be just about anywhere in nearby states, maybe even Atlanta.

If I have to rent a Harley I will, but even a Goldwing would be preferable. You can see I'm getting desperate. Last time I was down there about five years ago, I was able to rent a BMW, but that seems to have gotten more difficult.

Bob in the frozen north.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

T.RexRacing

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:52:11 pm »

Roanoke is in Virginia.Close to West Virginia but Virginia.I don't know of any other makes renting bikes.Buddy you ride a '69 Royal Enfield and don't wanna ride a Harley?Rent a new Sportster you may be surprised.
Canuck

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »

Sorry, WV was a dumb error. I did know it was Virginia. The map is sitting open in front of me. I still want to rent something other than a Harley.

Without meaning to hijack this thread to something other than rental info, I can't resist the RE Interceptor comment. The 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor was one of the most exotic and fastest sport-tourers of its day, although nobody really classified bikes into categories like sport-tourers then. It is not the now Indian made single cylinder. It was a vertical twin 750. You might have noticed that I also ride a 2002 V-Strom. That's what I use for most riding and all longer-distance rides. The old Brit bikes are a hobby and still have their charm. If you rode one, you'd likely be pleasantly surprised. Just don't try emergency braking. Lol Here's hoping modern sport-tourers recognize the history of their passion, but even I'm not crazy enough to tour on a 30-40 year old British bike.

Bob

Advertisement

T.RexRacing

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 09:07:01 pm »

Wasn't speaking bad of your Enfield.And I know what it is.And if you want an American bike that can cover some miles and be fun see if you can rent a Ulyesses.They're more fun than you think.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:39:07 am »

I think you should be able to hunt down a BWM *somewhere*, but I can't provide any leads.

That said, there's a guy in Morgantown, WV that runs day tours of WV. He also has a couple bikes for rent, one of which is a Kawi ZR-7 (naked standard). Perhaps he'd be willing to rent you that bike for a week. Fly into Pittsburgh (he'll pick you up) and then spend a day riding across WV to Roanoke (awesome roads). Riding that part of the world in October is not to be missed. It can be very cool in the mornings, but the scenery and roads are outstanding!

http://www.wvriders.com/rentals.html

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:23:52 am »

For the record, there is a big hotel and conference center located in Roanoke, West Virginia.   Wink

http://www.stonewallresort.com/

Either way, I can't help in the rental department.  I don't believe there are any rental places in North Central West Virginia (even if you are going to be in Roanoke, Virginia).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 01:52:20 pm by R Doug » Logged
Canuck

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 06:58:34 pm »

Here's the result of my ongoing search for places that rent bikes other than Harleys in Virginia or nearby states. I only found one place in Virginia that rented motorcycles, and claimed to rent Harleys and Hondas. It is in Chantilly, but when I went to the website they only showed Harleys for rent. Maybe they just don't have any Hondas in stock just now. Here it is:
http://www.eagleriderdc.com/

Other places that will work for me, because I can fly into any international airport and rent there, ride, then grab a flight to Roanoke

Boone, NC http://www.actioncyclesports.com/rentals.html Also just Harleys showing, but they say they'll have more models in the spring.

Some place that just says 35 miles north of Atlanta http://www.brmr-inc.com/ Rents BMWs, a couple of K-bike 750s and an R1100s. They are getting a bit older.

Best choice overall appears to be in Nashville/Murfreesboro http://www.streeteagle.com/Locations/Tennessee/Nashville.aspx They rent Honda ST1300s and FJRs, prices are on the low end of the competition and includes insurance and unlimited mileage, and they'll pick you up from the airport.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal