Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 ... 431   Go Down
Print

Topic: Northern Va Ride II  (Read 969811 times)

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3541

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1620 on: May 28, 2007, 07:51:48 am »

Who's riding tommorow morning?  How about meeting at the Route 15/I66 sheetz for a change of venue?  9am?  Bueller? bueller?....
Ill be on the klr, so... I'll be slow(er)

Got some stuff to take care of first thing this morning out at my moms place in Woodstock.  I should be done by 9:30-10:00.  If by chance your travels take you near Woodstock give me a shout. Sending a PM with the number.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:53:33 am by Windblown » Logged

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #1621 on: May 28, 2007, 12:58:34 pm »

Home safe and sound!

Great ride this year - I have plenty of stories.

Short version:  No drops, no performance awards, 20th place of 49 riders that started.  Not bad as lots of really big dogs showed up with more than 10 riders competing in the full 10 day Iron Butt Rally this year.

A few highlights:

I ran 219 from Elkins to Romney at 2:00 AM. EEK!  There were just a few deer, luckily my lights are so poor I only saw 50 of the hundreds that lined up around ever curve to cheer us on.  I will not run another 24 hour rally without extra PIAA or HID's.  Please hold me to that - several tried to commit Bambiside, one almost succeeded.  Crazy

I was so exhausted at the point that I stopped to rest.  Sadly, I got tossed from the lobby of the Marriott Courtyard in Winchester (that plan failed - go figure) so I slept in their parking lot next to a red mini-van for 60 minutes and watered their shrubs as thanks. Twofinger

Duc - does my new bike have good extra lights and a 2nd gas tank yet?  I really could have used it this year.

There was also that little 8.5 mile motocross "shortcut" road that I took.  Headscratch  Thanks Mr. Garmin. Twofinger Twofinger  When I got in the medium ruts, the side bags got hung up and I almost high centered.  Luckily they are already scratched up a bit from the little bridge incident last year.  Had I got in the big ruts, I'd still be there.  Then there were the tire popping rocks.  Dodged another bullet on those as well.  

Did I mention that little storm you were refereeing to caught me on the top on Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh?  To get down I had to ride around Overlook drive (or something like that).  Wiz of Oz is right - I think I did see a house fly by, but I'm not sure, for the 10,000,000,000 time... i was lost.

Looking forward to next your - top 10 Headscratch
Doubtful but I will try (provided I get new lights).

Sounds like everyone is having a great weekend - some day son we should actually ride again together.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:09:10 pm by DNA » Logged

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: Recalculating. . ..
Miles Typed: 3717

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1622 on: May 28, 2007, 05:58:54 pm »

Clap Clap Clap

Well done.   Thumbsup

I survived the 2007 VFR Hostage Crisis.   
My IBA number is still lower than DNA's.
NoVa First Responder.
Advertisement

hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1623 on: May 28, 2007, 06:14:29 pm »

On the ride thing -- I should have my bike back this week.  One day this weekend should be open . . ..   Bigok

Emily's team lost in the finals, 1-0.  It was a goon squad game -- the other team shoved first then went for the ball, about 18 fouls to our 2, one of which was a legitimate missed attempt at the ball.  One of their little angels actually elbow slammed one of Emily's teammates off the ball and from the back after she'd been beaten and play turned the other way.  The referee didn't see it.  Amazing that their coach left her in.  Turns out that she's their "star."   EEK!

NoVa First Responder.
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1624 on: May 28, 2007, 07:08:37 pm »

DNA,  You da man! Thumbsup  Personally, afrer 680 miles this weekend I'm pooped!

Hovmaven, Congrats to your daughter for getting to the finals! Awesome stuff.

Sling, Thanks for towing me around today.  Hit some great roads!  Next time we ditch the main roads unless you get an "Easy" button attached to a bottle of nitrous for passing.  The peddling is working, but man.... Lol  

You missed the impromptu drag race on that long straight on Rt 55 after we parted ways.  The riders lighter gear (sandels, shorts & t-shirt) didn't help him.  I flashed him a peace sign as I went by but judging from his wide eyed gaze at the upcoming corner I think he missed it. Gotta love them youngins.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:10:36 pm by Windblown » Logged

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1625 on: May 28, 2007, 07:44:30 pm »

Windblown, thanks for the laugh -- I'd have loved to see that. . ..   Lol

At the rate this shop is repairing my ride I may have to buy SWRiverstone's VFR. . ..   Crazy

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,9242.0.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:46:29 pm by hovmaven » Logged

NoVa First Responder.
DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #1626 on: May 28, 2007, 07:52:08 pm »

HOV - Tough news on the game - sounds like a bunch of thugs.  Isn't that the German style?  I forget, my international football info is a bit rusty.  Sounds like it is time to write some letters and possibly submit video evidence to FIFA (or whomever is in charge).  I'm guessing between you and the wife, you could present a well though out and throughly prepared case. Lol Lol

Total miles for me this weekend was around 1700, 1350 in the rally, and 350 to and fro.  Hurry and get the bike back - I found some awesome roads - I just cannot remember where I was!

Windy, don't kill all the squid - someone has to keep Duc in business.  I can guess almost exactly how he felt watching you blast by. Rolleyes  If Sling brings Oprah I'm guessing the passing would have been a little different.  Lol

I feel the need, the need for PIE. Thumbsup

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
MacGyver
MUST WIN TRACKDAY!!!

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Ducati ST4
Miles Typed: 1367

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1627 on: May 28, 2007, 07:54:58 pm »

*sigh* why do all the passing areas have to be uphill.   I'm just too spoiled with the fast forward handle on the XX.  We rode past Canaan valley resort after blitzing a group of harmless BMW riders going up RT 33.  They were nice enough to let us filter through their group. When they stopped at Mean Gene's 10 minutes after we arrived, they didn't speak to us.  oh well, maybe I need to reevaluate my courtesy skills.   I thought they would appreciate my brake markers.*shrug*  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:41:27 pm by MacGyver » Logged

"All I want to do is ride somewhere and watch the shadows climb..."
DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #1628 on: May 28, 2007, 08:02:18 pm »

At the rate this shop is repairing my ride I may have to buy SWRiverstone's VFR. . ..   Crazy

After my little motocross adventure, I might have some leftover clutch parts you are welcome to if it would help.  Crazy Think of it as a soul transplant.

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1629 on: May 28, 2007, 08:21:32 pm »

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,9242.0.html

Oh my! I missed that one.  

So how many days does it take to install a CCT?  I mean, we're talking two bolts here, right?

I gotta get me a helmet cam....

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1630 on: May 28, 2007, 08:33:44 pm »

We rode past Canaan valley resort after blitzing a group of harmless BMW riders going up RT 33.  They were nice enough to let us filter through their group. When they stopped at Mene Gene's 10 minutes after we arrived, they didn't speak to us.  oh well, maybe I need to revaluate my coutesy skills.   I thought they would appreciate my brake markers.*shrug*  

LOL.  You should have seen the double takes as you worked through them.  

hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1631 on: May 28, 2007, 08:37:02 pm »

LOL.  You should have seen the double takes as you worked through them.  

Better than being stuck behind a Harley parade . . . and a pissed off horse in a trailer.  Lol

(reaching back to a much earlier NoVa ride. . ..)

NoVa First Responder.
DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #1632 on: May 28, 2007, 08:51:55 pm »

Except beemer guys manage to look smug and pissed off at the same time.  Like my dentist when I tell him I don't floss every day like he wants me too.  

Come to think of it, that is the same look the horse on as well when we finally passed it.

MacGyver
MUST WIN TRACKDAY!!!

Reputation 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1633 on: May 28, 2007, 09:07:16 pm »

Rant on:  Rave Mad2
The only thing that ruffled my feathers on this ride were two separate yokel passing episodes.  

The first was a shitbox blazer with a group of chew spewing crapkicking tank painters who decided that doing 45 in a 55 was suddenly a bad idea as I was passing them. It was a nice wide open passing zone.   I heard their 4.3 litre boat anchor motor gasping for mercy as it spewed out inefficiently combusted dinosaurs into the air as we went down the road in parallel formation.  Mind you, I'm on the 38 RWHP bike designed for slowpokes.   I passed them but much farther down the road than I originally planned on.  Why would they do that? Why Why Why?  I betcha their family tree is a straight as a lunge line.  

The second was a punk ass kid in a white ford pick up truck.  He's got his prerequisite deer hunting stickers posted up in each corner of his rear window.   The puss-nutted pencil dicked motherfucker decided that his current speed was not all the fashion and decided to race me to the next corner, which incidental was marked 20 mph.   If the guy had kept his speed constant, there was plenty of space to get around and setup for the next corner.  

Somewhere between Mt. Storm and Elkins is an unmarked town called Douchebag that these abortion survivors live in.

Rant off.   Cool

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:12:50 pm by MacGyver » Logged

DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #1634 on: May 28, 2007, 09:11:16 pm »

Yikes. Crazy  Are you on Craigs list selling the KLR yet?
Sounds like a trip we took over 250 where some punk in an acura (? Headscratch) got slightly offended at our pass.  HOV had a great story as he tried to follow us through the next corner and almost bit it.

MacGyver
MUST WIN TRACKDAY!!!

Reputation 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1635 on: May 28, 2007, 09:19:58 pm »

Better than being stuck behind a Harley parade . . . and a pissed off horse in a trailer.  Lol

(reaching back to a much earlier NoVa ride. . ..)

I do fondly remember seeing a work truck tailgating a 2-up cruiser going the opposite direction down a straight decline.   I can only imagine what the truck driver was saying.  

hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1636 on: May 28, 2007, 09:24:53 pm »

That is the beauty of being a senior member -- I don't always remember things. . ..   Bigok

The shiny parade crowd never ceases to amaze me -- so too many ride as if they own the entire road -- their pace is your pace and you should be proud to share their space.   Crazy

My barometer became this:  when Blue got pi**ed off enough to pass, it was time to go.  Lol

NoVa First Responder.
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1637 on: May 29, 2007, 07:42:27 pm »

That is the beauty of being a senior member -- I don't always remember things. . ..   Bigok

Yeah, neither do I.  

I wish I had remembered the fact that it's ticket writing month in VA, the month is ALMOST over, and cops love to hide out at major speed limit changes when they are in revenue collection mode.  

His first comment when he got out of his cruiser was "he, he, out having fun trying the bike out huh?" At which point I politely said "No sir, I am heading back out to the farm from having picked up some fruit tree spray". He then asked for my license and registration and headed back to his cruiser, and came back out with his ticket book a few minutes later.  At that point I took the small pleasure of making him listen to me rant before signing the ticket. Anyway, I finished my rant, shook his hand and went on my way.  

I feel a little like Tom Sawyer when he got a whipping for something he didn't do but his Aunt Sally figured it was ok since he undoubtably had done things he hadn't been caught for, which may have some small universal truth to it.....

Score one for the man in blue.  Sad

hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1638 on: May 29, 2007, 08:11:39 pm »

Sorrry.   Sad

It could have been me, but for the fact that Duck's shop still hasn't fixed my bike.

Mad2 Rave Bash Angry3

NoVa First Responder.
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1639 on: May 29, 2007, 08:13:45 pm »

Which I dropped off way back on page 59!!!!!!!

NoVa First Responder.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 ... 431   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal