Poll
Question: What would you do?
take the pickup instead
Ride over the mountains (adventure baby!!)
Ride, but go around the mountains
What are you asking me for?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: What to do?  (Read 2597 times)

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:10:55 am »

I'm going to Cody, WY for the weekend. Leaving Rapid CIty around noon on friday and coming back on monday. The weather calls for clear and 60's on monday, but Fri. is calling for high of 50 and 50% chance of rain/snow. That is going to mean a cool/wet 400 miles, plus going over the bighorns could very well see me riding in some freezing rain or snow? My other option is to go around the bighorns (not that much farther). So what would you do?

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Swampy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kat 1100 Modified
Miles Typed: 76

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:17:35 am »

electric vest and long undies bro

In a car you watch a movie - on a bike you star in it
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:53:20 am »

I didn't get an electric vest until a few years ago. I can't believe I rode all those years without one!!!

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Advertisement

Guy
Scattered, smothered, and covered

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 4th gen VFR, 1st gen FZ1
GPS: Outside the pattern
Miles Typed: 2375

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:38:38 pm »

...won't work if you've wadded your bike due to snow/ice on the road in the middle of the Big Horns.

BH, when is decision time? Can you put it off 'til departure time, and check to see if the weather improves?
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:52:49 pm »

...won't work if you've wadded your bike due to snow/ice on the road in the middle of the Big Horns.

BH, when is decision time? Can you put it off 'til departure time, and check to see if the weather improves?

Yes, I can decide at noon on friday, Just thought some opinions from here would be "interesting"

Mike-H

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: KTM 530 EXC, YAMAHA XT250, HONDA CB1100F, DUCATI 900SS FE, YAMAHA FJR 1300
GPS: Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 3304

My Photo Gallery

Aspiring back to a dirt donk

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 01:35:31 pm »

If you don't mind riding your bike in snow (road salt) Headscratch do it....otherwise I'd adopt a wait & see attitude....

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
rockwells

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '05 Yamaha FJR1300, '01 BMW R1150GS, '00 H/D Road King
Miles Typed: 82

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 10:23:33 am »

[email protected]#k snow!  Take the bike, but stay away from the snow!
Playinthestreet

Reputation -5

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 10:52:34 am »

put the bike in the pickup...........
lanispet
Rainmaker

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 SV650, '80 CX500 rat-bobber, '65 Benly, 85 V65S, parts of others
Miles Typed: 157

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 04:17:51 pm »

Freezing rain in the mountains? Forget it... i've driven in black ice conditions when i didn't have any other choice, or was too dumb/unhinged to care, but i'd need a pretty damn compelling reason to do it again...  Thumbsdown

Of course i own a pickup truck and a trailer!
Let's see you carry a 13' sailboat on an SV650 :P
Guy
Scattered, smothered, and covered

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 4th gen VFR, 1st gen FZ1
GPS: Outside the pattern
Miles Typed: 2375

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 09:25:04 am »

National Weather service forecast for Bighorn mts. fri 10/5 0459mdt
Today: Scattered rain and snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Some thunder is also possible. Increasing clouds, with a high near 45. Windy, with a southwest wind 31 to 34 mph decreasing to between 16 and 19 mph. Winds could gust as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Looks like going around is the better idea, there is such a thing as prudence, despite the prevailing attitudes sometimes shown here.
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:16:58 pm »

Well,  made it to Cody. When I left Rapid it was cloudy and 51. 10 miles later it was sunny and 60! To make some time I took I-90 tpo Buffalo. It was still sunny and the clouds over the mountains looked fairly tame. It stayed sunny about half way across, then it rained for the last 20 miles into tensleep. But it was in the 50's. After that the sun came out again and it was a perfect ride!! Now, If I can have similar luck on the way home Mon. it will be the perfect weekend!!

black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 10:42:32 am »

Looks like going around is the better idea, there is such a thing as prudence, despite the prevailing attitudes sometimes shown here.

You are correct, to bad I don't have any of this "prudence" stuff....

You wouldn't believe the ride home!! It was sunny and 50+ in Cody at 9a.m. yesterday when I was ready to leave. The sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. As I headed East (pushed by a 40mph W. wind) it was great riding weather. I knew the big horns had snow, but assumed the roads would quickly clear with this weather. When I got to Greybull it was beautifull and it looked completely clear over the mountains. AS I headed up Schell canyon the roads were fine and the scenery was great! The higher I got the cooler it became and soon it was near 30. I noticed that although the roads were dry in the sun they were still wet in the shade. Soon this wetness turned to Ice!! Fortuntaley it had been sanded, so it was passable. I would ride like mad on the dry stuff (up to 85mph) then get on the brakes before each shadow, slowing to 35-40mph. Then pulling in the clutch, aiming for a smooth looking tire track and trying not to shift my wieght at all. After a while it seemed to become almost easy? On the way down into Sheridan the Ice spots were much longer and although well sanded required more of a coasting approach with speeds under 20mph. I managed to keep it upright, and soon I was low enough that the ice disappeared. I was a bit nervous, but by the time the ice was gone the sense of accomplishment was amazing!! the best part was when I passed a car that had gone in the ditch!! Although I don't think I'll try it again anytime soon!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal