Topic: Weekend  (Read 1867 times)

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:55:44 am »

I had a nice relaxed weekend planned. Get some stuff done around the house/yard, etc. The wife was out of town, the kids were gone, it was going to be so peacefull for a change. Then a friend called to see if I wanted to go dirtbikie riding on sat. as they needed to practice for the hare scramble on sun. We rode at Farmingdale (praire/badlands type terrain) and had a great time. I then find out the hare scramble is  a 3hour two man event. The two original riders couldn't agree on what bike to use. One of them was too small for the CRF450 and the other was too big for the YZF250?? So as I am in my own little world riding some great terrain I see them over there looking at me??? I pull over and it goes something like this:
"why don't you race tomorrow?"
"I don't really want to"
"why not?"
"I have a lot of things to do"
"or maybe your just getting to be a pussy"
"OK, fine what are we riding"
"how about my 450"
So there I am, out of shape, out of practice, and with about 20 minutes of daylight left to get used to a bike I have never ridden, let alone raced!!  It went pretty well, but I was a bit concerned about the 450's brutal power, specially in the tight sections.
  The course proved to be pretty damn fun. While I would have prefered my 300 in the creek and tree sections the 450 was amazingly fast in the open stuff!! The laps were about 25 minutes long and the first one I felt pretty slow. By the second lap I was feeling much more comfortable and the 3rd and 4th went really good. We ended up taking first in the Vet class! Not exactly the weekend I had planned, but I can relax when I get old.

Some pics of the course: http://imageevent.com/shotbyharry/newunderwoodharescramble?p=37&n=1&m=20&c=4&w=4&b=0&s=0&z=2&l=4

The kids were very impreseed with the fact that "someone as old as you" could still compete. Once Again I'm "cool" for a few days anyway...
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/blackhills_2007/102207_1715.jpg

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:28:53 pm by black hills » Logged

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

mtrider16
Ride Red

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: '13 Interceptor; '13 VStar 950 '09 F800GS '07 CRF250X
GPS: Eastern Montana
Miles Typed: 1705

My Photo Gallery

Riding Montana

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:57:13 am »

I didn't get through all the pics.  Did Marty Ulrich from Glendive get down there for this race.

Headscratch  I suppose I can ask him tomorrow.  That will be the quickest way to get an answer.

Good job on the trophy!

David

Montana - Big Sky Country!
Mac
Yeehaw, Texas!!

Reputation 40

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: none
GPS: Dallas, Tx.
Miles Typed: 7823

My Photo Gallery

I just got out of a prison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:14:50 am »

Great pics. Was that an AMA event?

The course looked pretty open from the pics, other than the log crossings were there any real technical parts?

Derp derp derp.
Advertisement

black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:00:02 am »

Great pics. Was that an AMA event?

The course looked pretty open from the pics, other than the log crossings were there any real technical parts?

No. it's not an AMA event. It was all pretty open, nothing really technical There were a couple steep creek banks that a few people had trouble with, other than that it was an easy course. Lot's of fun though!! the outdoor season is over for the year, but there is the indoor enduro to look forward to in Feb. It's always fun!! here is a vid from practice last year (not me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mad7jUyZi-c

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:07:19 am »

I didn't get through all the pics.  Did Marty Ulrich from Glendive get down there for this race.

Headscratch  I suppose I can ask him tomorrow.  That will be the quickest way to get an answer.

Good job on the trophy!

David

I didn't see many out of state trucks there? but I'm not sure. We get a lot of guys from up that way for the indoor moto X and the indoor Enduro. Ask him if he comes to them. My last indoor enduro didn't go so good...
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/blackhills_2007/346KTM_5889.jpg

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal