Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
Print

Topic: Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right  (Read 148116 times)

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1536

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 12:44:07 pm »

Yes, the rates of the tourguides are definately over the top. Being local, I of course don't have to rent or fly, but I spend something south of $1000 for 7 days of playing in total when I go. That's less than $1000 for a week of extreme fun including hotels, food, drink, gas, my smokes, everything.

Wow, thats a lot. Considering we both don't have to rent bikes since we use our own, I spend maybe CA$3000 (even less in US$) for the month and that includes airfare from Canada...so, all inclusive.

What are you smoking to bring your costs that high?  Lol

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bubba zanetti

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 12:48:29 pm »

Great thread. After reading this mrs zanetti and I are thinking of a 3 year plan to put away $150 a month for just such a trip.

I have driven the areas you listed in an old VW Van and Ursula did it on her 200cc Vespa. I think it would be wonderful on any reasonably modern bike.

Thanks !! Ya gots me thinking GR !!  Bigok
throttlemeister
formally afterburn

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: R1100S, K1200S
GPS: Netherlands
Miles Typed: 320

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 05:42:05 pm »

Wow, thats a lot. Considering we both don't have to rent bikes since we use our own, I spend maybe CA$3000 (even less in US$) for the month and that includes airfare from Canada...so, all inclusive.

What are you smoking to bring your costs that high?  Lol

I'm Dutch, you really have to ask?  Bigsmile

Seriously, I typically stay at probably little more expensive hotels than you do. I am usually with a group of American friends, so we typically need 5 or 6 rooms. This can limit the choice of hotels available. If I travel by myself, I stay in small gasthof or b&b at probably half the rates. But those places sometimes don't even have 6 rooms, let alone 6 free.

2003 BMW R1100S 'Bumble Bee' | Heavily modified...
2007 BMW K1200S 'ICBM' |[/COLOR
Advertisement

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007, 06:49:41 pm »

As of 29 Dec. 06, we got 0.73 to the dollar (or about $1.37 per Euro) at a Naspa (ex-Nassauer Sparkasse Bank) in Bad Schwalbach (NW of Wiesbaden).  Regular gas was around 1.15 to 1.20/ltr and premium was about 1.25 and up.  We had an Opel Vectra combi ("stationwagon") and, prior to turning it back in at Frankfurt, topped the tank at an Aral on A66 near Mainz-Kastel at 1.16/ltr.  Often these gas stops cost less than what's charged off the autobahn.  Go figure...  

I just spoke with friends in Switzerland (anybody even heard of Veltheim in the Aargau?) and the Swissies have come with a new fun way to help you remember their autobahn speed limit is 120 km/hr.  Effective today, 1/1/07, your income is factored into the fine.  As an example, get nailed doing 180 (that's a touch over 110 MPH), and you could see a fine as high as 50,000 SFr or, according xe.com, over $41,000 US.  Have a nice day...  

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2007, 08:17:27 pm »

Regular gas was around 1.15 to 1.20/ltr and premium was about 1.25 and up.

Thats quite a bit cheaper than what I paid last summer in Italy, but then gas prices vary from country to country, or maybe the time of the year matters.

The Swissies have come with a new fun way to help you remember their autobahn speed limit is 120 km/hr. Effective today, 1/1/07, your income is factored into the fine.  As an example, get nailed doing 180 (that's a touch over 110 MPH), and you could see a fine as high as 50,000 SFr or, according xe.com, over $41,000 US.

As high as? What about the minimum?

Actually, not a bad idea.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 698

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 07:38:33 am »

Actually, not a bad idea.

If it works. In real life, I expect the guy who gets nailed for the top fine can probably afford a top lawyer to get him off.

If I got caught for speeding in Switzerland, I'd probably go straight to jail after I told them I was unemployed. Smile
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 11:49:07 am »

I have no idea what the floor is on speeding fines but somehow I don't think it's cheap.  

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 01:22:58 pm »

I have no idea what the floor is on speeding fines but somehow I don't think it's cheap.

No, nothing is cheap in Switzerland! EEK!

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 01:37:41 pm »

No, nothing is cheap in Switzerland! EEK!

Tour the UK and you'll think Switzerland is a bargain.

All the best,
Alex
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 05:15:36 pm »

Not in my experience, but it is your thread.  Smile
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2007, 06:34:45 pm »

Not in my experience, but it is your thread. Smile

80 for a B&B in a town of a few homes in the middle of nowhere is incredibly expensive. If it were on the outskirts of London, I could understand. In comparison, an equivalent B&B in Austria or the Dolomites would be about 20.

Someone posted a tour of Scotland on ADVrider some time ago. The motorcycle rental rates were out of this world compared to other rates I've seen.

All the best,
Alex
Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2007, 06:47:05 pm »

Tour the UK?  I used to live there until recently! Lol I was back for a month recently and got through a ton of money (mainly car rental etc) even though I was able to stay with friends and relatives most of the time. I've not been to Switzerland for a few years now but always found it to be very expensive. Maybe prices in the UK have reached those of Switzerland, I wouldn't be surprised. I did find a nice hotel in Clevedon, south of Bristol for 52 including breakfast though, although this was in November, out of season.

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:46 pm »

... an equivalent B&B in Austria or the Dolomites would be about 20.

I thought we were talking about Switzerland. Yes, 20 is cheap for a place anywhere. And, 80 is expensive for a place in rural England. We won't pay more than 20-25/head for a B&B, which is still more than I'd like, but cheaper than anything we found in Switzerland.

Where was your 80 B&B? The Lake District? If you want to find cheaper, go to a town that has more rooms/competition. But, I shouldn't have to tell you that. You're in the business.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 08:56:48 pm »

I thought we were talking about Switzerland.

The place I've stayed at twice in Andermatt, Switzerland ran me CHF 45...whats that...about 19. About even with most places in Austria and Northern Italy. The cheapest place I've stayed at was in Serfaus, Austria back in 2003 at 17 (now 18) or 11.50. I spent a week there. The breakfast was first rate and they had a new garage as well.

Where was your 80 B&B?

Densole.

All the best,
Alex
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2007, 05:28:28 am »

I had to look up Densole, then I looked up Andermatt. Boy, I'll bet Andermatt was a lot more beautiful, too!

My guess is Densole can get away with charging the price because of their proximity to the ferries and the Chunnel. I hope your room was nice, and they didn't serve you those awful Walls sausages for breakfast!

We like to stay in cities for the nightlife. I'm afraid that adds to the expense.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2007, 10:27:55 am »

I had to look up Densole, then I looked up Andermatt. Boy, I'll bet Andermatt was a lot more beautiful, too!

Waking up to one heck of a thunderstorm and heavy rain in Densole (does it ever stop raining in the UK?), I'd have to say...yes.

My guess is Densole can get away with charging the price because of their proximity to the ferries and the Chunnel. I hope your room was nice, and they didn't serve you those awful Walls sausages for breakfast!

Probably. The room was nice although I didn't see much of it. Getting straight off a plane, then clearing your bike through customs, installing the bits and pieces onto the bike and getting gas in an "approved green jerry can" that I had to buy because the one I brought wasn't "approved", before finally heading off for the M25 and M20, wears you out. I remember dozing off on the M20 at times. After dinner at a pub in Folkestone, I went straight to bed...slept like a log. I had to chuckle when that "approved" jerry can leaked from the cap no matter how much I tightened it, yet they wouldn't fill a 4 liter plastic bottle normally used for winshield washer fluid...that didn't leak.  Lol

Walls sausages? Well I remember breakfast being really greasy while peering through the window looking at rain coming down. Mind you, dinner the evening before wasn't great either.

While waiting at the Euro Tunnel for my letter to come up, I did get to see a slew of old and exotic cars as well as vintage motorcycles. I also got to meet Phil Read.

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/802/8timeworldchampionphilread6xp.jpg
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:30:33 am by Global Rider » Logged

All the best,
Alex
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2007, 06:23:28 pm »

(does it ever stop raining in the UK?)

Yes. In fact, until the last couple of months, it pretty much stopped raining for the best part of two years. The southeast has had limited water rationing in effect for quite a while as a result. A better question would be, "Does the sun ever come out?" The answer is, "If you're lucky."

Mind you, our last trip to the Alps in September was a washout. Switzerland, Italy and Austria were awash except for very brief periods. I know we were just unlucky, because I have experienced glorious weather there, too.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2007, 06:46:10 pm »

A better question would be, "Does the sun ever come out?" The answer is, "If you're lucky."

True.  Lol

Mind you, our last trip to the Alps in September was a washout. Switzerland, Italy and Austria were awash except for very brief periods. I know we were just unlucky, because I have experienced glorious weather there, too.

Thats why I never have anything planned. I go where the sun is, provided of course, all of Europe isn't under cloud. I also prefer to stay on the southern end of the Alps...Bolzano and the Dolomites. The weather within the mountain ranges seems to be unpredicatable. Of course, if you haven't driven all those roads and passes yet, no choice in the matter.

All the best,
Alex
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 04:51:58 am »

Thats why I never have anything planned.

That's how it was for me the two years I lived in Edinburgh. When the sun came out, we hopped on the bike. Scotland, when it's sunny, is motorcycle heaven. During the summer, the place is full of German bikers. I just hope they're lucky with the weather.

On the downside, Scotland has fully embraced radar technology in recent times.

Also, on our September trip, I was very impressed with Croatia. I expected the coastal riding to be wonderful and it was. The countryside in the northwest and into Slovenia was a wonderful surprise. Every farm house has a sign "Sobe/Room/Zimmer" and I would expect the rates to be very reasonable. I'll definitley look forward to a return trip to Croatia.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 11:57:26 am »

That's how it was for me the two years I lived in Edinburgh. When the sun came out, we hopped on the bike. Scotland, when it's sunny, is motorcycle heaven. During the summer, the place is full of German bikers. I just hope they're lucky with the weather.

Well I hope to do Wales, Scotland and Ireland (I went to Rockwell College near Cashel) one day, maybe while on my way to Iceland. I believe you can get a ferry there from Scotland. Anywhere close to London is too crowded for my liking.

Also, on our September trip, I was very impressed with Croatia. I expected the coastal riding to be wonderful and it was. The countryside in the northwest and into Slovenia was a wonderful surprise. Every farm house has a sign "Sobe/Room/Zimmer" and I would expect the rates to be very reasonable. I'll definitley look forward to a return trip to Croatia.

I'm  heading to Slovenia and Croatia, this summer. Something a bit different for a change. Where did you stay? Any addresses or links?

All the best,
Alex
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal