Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print

Topic: Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right  (Read 205230 times)

TexPaul

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT, BMW R1200GS
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2008, 09:31:03 am »

Alex,

We have some of the trip planned, some not.
The plunging dollar and the rising price of gas are making this trip more expensive by the day so I'm trying to stick to a budget (for 2 people on 2 motorcycles)of under 150 euro a day for lodging and under 75 euro a day for food.  We figure the food part should be easy since the room usually includes breakfast and we plan to hit the local store and do picnic lunches as often as possible.
We'll leave Munich Sept 11 and head to the Dolomites, probably Arabba since it's central and not as touristy as Cortina or Bolzano.  Stay there 3-4 nights then go to Verona for 2 nights for the day trip to Venice.  Am considering Treviso as an alternative to Verona as you can get a bus to Venice.  In anyone has experience with Treviso I'd appreciate your impressions.
From there I am considering going from Lake Garda to Lake Como then up into Switzerland, say Andermatt or someplace similar.  Question, allowing for riding around the lakes and some sightseeing, is Garda to Como doable in one day if we take the road through the high passes to Morbegno?
Once in the Andermatt area we will probably stay 3-5 days exploring as much as possible before returning to Munich on the 24th.
Your hotel lists, like all the other info you've supplied, is great.  We just need to decide how much, and where, we want to try and see in the 14 days we have.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:36 am »

The plunging dollar and the rising price of gas are making this trip more expensive by the day so I'm trying to stick to a budget (for 2 people on 2 motorcycles) of under 150 euro a day for lodging and under 75 euro a day for food.

If that is your budget for two per day, then you are really splurging big time.

You'll be able to get by for €55 per person per day in the Dolomites and that includes breakfast and dinner. Yes, you can find more expensive places; some even cheaper. A nice room with just breakfast can be had for €35.

Cheap lunches can be had at Spar or DeSpar grocery stores in Austria and Italy. Two Kaiser buns with cheese, ham and couple of pickle slices will run you €3.50. Add a yogurt and a drink and you're in at under €5.

Dinner can be had under €12 with a beer.

You should consider getting Microsoft AutoRoute 2007 (under $40 from Amazon). Its the European version of Streets & Trips. I could send you some routes.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
TexPaul

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT, BMW R1200GS
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »

Alex,

I figured I budgeted a bit high.  If I get by cheaper then I just have more for gas!
I have the program you mention and and would greatly appreciate any routes you are willing to supply.

Thanks again for all the help.
Advertisement

tenbears

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Kawasaki zzr1100 D7; zx12r B2
GPS: Geneva, Switzerland
Miles Typed: 224

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2008, 06:03:54 am »

Overal good advice ... but €35 is extremely optimistic, Alex. I recon Tex will easily see the thick end of €75. Add the partner's share, doubling it up & I think you're in a comfort zone.

I imagine it can't be that often someone from the States makes a trip like this, so why skimp when to many it's a trip of a lifetime?

As for accomodation and pre-booking – we've never pre-booked anywhere in Europe in 20 years of touring from Scandinavia to the heel of Italy, Budapest to Porto and never had a problem anywhere. In many ways I feel it's somewhat restricting to pre-book, preferring instead to ride out and stop when & where the mood takes. With a flexible itinarary you can wander off the beaten track making the whole experience more of an adventure.

I'm planning an Alpine tour for May 2009 based in the Northern Italian Lakes. There's a good site here on Alpine passes.

http://www.alpineroads.com/index.php
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2008, 07:23:22 am »

As for accomodation and pre-booking – we've never pre-booked anywhere in Europe in 20 years of touring from Scandinavia to the heel of Italy, Budapest to Porto and never had a problem anywhere. In many ways I feel it's somewhat restricting to pre-book, preferring instead to ride out and stop when & where the mood takes. With a flexible itinarary you can wander off the beaten track making the whole experience more of an adventure.

Withstupid

I've never pre-booked myself and never had a problem.

some people get stressed by not having a reserved room...I get stressed by the feeling that I have to be somewhere that night  Bigsmile

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2008, 08:22:31 am »

Overal good advice ... but €35 is extremely optimistic, Alex. I recon Tex will easily see the thick end of €75. Add the partner's share, doubling it up & I think you're in a comfort zone.

Maybe optomistic in the UK, but not in the Alps. Paul banked on €75 per person per night for a room with breakfast. He'll be able to have a very nice room with breakfast and dinner for €100 per night for the both of them. Of course beer and wine are extra, but that was in another budget of his.

June 2008...all rates with a hearty breakfast unless noted...2 and 3 star hotels with clean equipped rooms and clean bathrooms (some you could even eat off the floor).

Gasthof Blasl, Losenstein (A): €32 per night
http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/57577at,de,SCH1/objectId,ACC187827at,selectedEntry,home/home.html

Alpengasthof Kalte Kuckl, Kalte Kuckl (A): €22 per night
http://www.kaltekuchl.at

Gasthof Bergler Stub'n, Wenigzell (A): €42 per night with a gourmet dinner (the husband and wife team were both chefs in Arlberg during the winter),
http://www.bergler-stubn.at

Gasthof Winkler, Trφpolach (A): €30 per night,
http://www.ghwinkler.at

Albergo Passo Buole, Riva di Vallarsa (I): €36 per night (€43 with dinner),
http://www.fortezzebiketour.it/alberghi/passo_buole.aspx

Gasthof Grόntenblick, Agathazell (D): €26 per night.
http://www.gruentenblick.de

But yes, you can spend €75 and lots more to get no more. And once the lights are out for the night, all rooms look alike.  Wink

I've been doing this a while.  Smile

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
tenbears

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2008, 07:22:21 am »

Maybe optomistic in the UK, but not in the Alps. Paul banked on €75 per person per night for a room with breakfast. He'll be able to have a very nice room with breakfast and dinner for €100 per night for the both of them. Of course beer and wine are extra, but that was in another budget of his.
Yeah, sure.... but don't forget you've got other daily expenditure. Generally, I think Austria, Switzerland and Germany are dearer than the UK, although recently that position may be contended.

But yes, you can spend €75 and lots more to get no more. And once the lights are out for the night, all rooms look alike.  Wink
Good list of cheapo's there! BRAVO!

I've been doing this a while.  Smile
Me too, join the club.  Wink
tenbears

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2008, 07:23:30 am »

some people get stressed by not having a reserved room...I get stressed by the feeling that I have to be somewhere that night  Bigsmile

Me too!  Thumbsup

Bigsmile
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:15 am »

Yeah, sure.... but don't forget you've got other daily expenditure.

Yes, I know and they weren't part of the €150 Paul quoted for what he had banked for daily accomodation for two.

Generally, I think Austria, Switzerland and Germany are dearer than the UK, although recently that position may be contended.

£80 per night in a B&B in Densole (before I talked them down). That was CA$175 for a night in 2005 (Yikes!  EEK!). I wanted a room for the night; I didn't want to buy the place.  Lol Austria can't be beat for some of the lowest prices for accomodations. So compared to my experience in the UK, mainland Europe is dirt cheap!

Anyway, pointless arguing...I've made my case on pricing with URLs for the places I've stayed. The max I paid was €42 for an incredible room that included a 5 course gourmet dinner. So you might say that €42 also included "other daily expenditures" as well.

All the best,
Alex
BBB

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: '05 R1200GS '08 K1200S
GPS: Welwyn Garden City, UK
Miles Typed: 266

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2008, 12:52:55 pm »

Be aware of the rates listed above as they are the price per person. So for a couple the examples listed vary from 44 to 72 euros per night for bed and breakfast or 84 euros per night with the gourmet dinner. At the current rate of exchange that works out from just under £37 to £60 a night, or £70 a night including the gourmet dinner.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2008, 08:14:04 pm »

Be aware of the rates listed above as they are the price per person.

For accomodation rates in Europe, that is almost always the case....a per person charge. Some places "list" an einzelzimmerzuschlag which is a single occupany surcharge because if alone, you are occupying a room for two, but I have yet to have been charged that in my all my years touring there.

With respect to North America, amazingly European accomodations are far cheaper.

All the best,
Alex
BBB

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2008, 01:16:11 pm »

For accomodation rates in Europe, that is almost always the case....a per person charge. Some places "list" an einzelzimmerzuschlag which is a single occupany surcharge because if alone, you are occupying a room for two, but I have yet to have been charged that in my all my years touring there.

It certainly adds a different complexion to the rates you qouted in the post above and perhaps its something you should make clearer to the other members so that they are fully aware of the true room costs should they be travelling with a companion.
tenbears

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:21 am »

With respect to North America, amazingly European accomodations are far cheaper.

Absolutely not! I just cannot agree with this.

I was there last summer... circumnavigated the States so have a pretty good idea of what States charge what rates, and I never paid anything like Euro rates for good motel rooms with ensuite swimming pools. On average a very good sized double room comes in at around £25 a night.... you just wont get anywhere near that in Europe.
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2008, 09:46:48 am »

Absolutely not! I just cannot agree with this.

I was there last summer... circumnavigated the States so have a pretty good idea of what States charge what rates, and I never paid anything like Euro rates for good motel rooms with ensuite swimming pools. On average a very good sized double room comes in at around £25 a night.... you just wont get anywhere near that in Europe.

Withstupid
While I haven't spent quite so much time over there I have been across and Europe is definitely pricier.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2008, 10:19:47 am »

Guys, post links to the places you've stayed as well as to their rates page...as I have.

The bottom line is...and that is what this thread is about, you can go self-guided for less than half the cost of an organized tour.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:23:42 am by Global Rider » Logged

All the best,
Alex
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2008, 10:47:16 am »

The bottom line is...and that is what this thread is about, you can go self-guided for less than half the cost of an organized tour.

Definitely with you on that one!  Bigok
BBB

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2008, 12:15:24 pm »

It's true that organising your own tour will save a packet on the cost of an organised tour, but for us in the UK, Europe is not a cheap option at the moment. The Pound has fallen from 1.45 euros down to 1.2 in the last year and with the increase in oil prices, it is certainly more expensive to fill up in Europe than in the UK (for us UK citizens).
tenbears

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2008, 02:33:40 pm »

Without a doubt.

I often wonder why Brits do those organised runs in France or Spain ...  it's only over the Channel so what's the big deal.
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2008, 01:50:16 am »

I often wonder why Brits do those organised runs in France or Spain ...  it's only over the Channel so what's the big deal.

The very odd time, you'd read about someone on this side of the pond going on an organized tour on their own continent.

Who knows? I guess some people just don't like surprises. Everybody has a different comfort zone.

All the best,
Alex
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:17 am »

Here is a link to some "first timers" who went to ride the Alps on a self-guided tour...

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,28553.0.html

All the best,
Alex
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal