Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Print

Topic: Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right  (Read 205228 times)

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2008, 09:13:23 pm »

The Tourertreff.eu web site has put up some great Alps info sheets you can download in PDF format and save. The sheets are in German, but each includes a map which is universal.

Each thread lists the pass name and the region it is in. The PDF file is within the first post and subsequent posts are usually filled with comments and pics from other forum members. More passes were added recently and some of them will have the PDF file included shortly.

Passes in Germany
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Passes in Austria
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Passes in Italy
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Passes in Switzerland
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Ralf

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: CBR600F2, TDR250
GPS: Berlin
Miles Typed: 583

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2008, 11:14:56 am »

Hmmm... interesting site, never seen it before.

But the one thread about 50 motorcyclists dying in Southern Tyrol and as a result there are, among other things, calls for closing the passes to motorcyclists over the weekend is very depressing  Sad

The Tourertreff.eu web site has put up some great Alps info sheets you can download in PDF format and save. The sheets are in German, but each includes a map which is universal.

Each thread lists the pass name and the region it is in. The PDF file is within the first post and subsequent posts are usually filled with comments and pics from other forum members. More passes were added recently and some of them will have the PDF file included shortly.

Passes in Germany
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Passes in Austria
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Passes in Italy
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Passes in Switzerland
http://tourertreff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:26 pm »

But the one thread about 50 motorcyclists dying in Southern Tyrol and as a result there are, among other things, calls for closing the passes to motorcyclists over the weekend is very depressing  Sad

Well isn't it always the case; a few aholes effing it up for everybody else. But there are boy racers who think they are actually fast all over this planet.

In the end I don't see that happening. There are passes that are the only link from one area to another unless you you drive far out of the way.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
Advertisement

Ralf

Reputation 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2008, 03:40:07 am »

I imagine that ultimately the financial ramifications of lost tourism revenue would prevent any such closings. However, after putting toll booths on many passes, with talk of adding more down the road, I could see more rigorous action such as stricter police controls as a consequence. Folks, enjoy the Alps while you can...

Well isn't it always the case; a few aholes effing it up for everybody else. But there are boy racers who think they are actually fast all over this planet.

In the end I don't see that happening. There are passes that are the only link from one area to another unless you you drive far out of the way.

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2008, 09:10:15 am »

Folks, enjoy the Alps while you can...

Maybe that'll be the carrot that so many need. And maybe it'll also drive those of us who ride them every year elsewhere. That'll give me a good reason to move along since I've been over them countless times, both ways. Furthermore, there are lots of other great riding areas in Europe. Higher, in a lot of cases, isn't always better riding.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:11:48 am by Global Rider » Logged

All the best,
Alex
throttlemeister
formally afterburn

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: R1100S, K1200S
GPS: Netherlands
Miles Typed: 320

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2008, 09:20:11 am »

I imagine that ultimately the financial ramifications of lost tourism revenue would prevent any such closings. However, after putting toll booths on many passes, with talk of adding more down the road, I could see more rigorous action such as stricter police controls as a consequence. Folks, enjoy the Alps while you can...

Given that on most good passes, you don't need to be speeding to get a serious speed fix, police checks might actually help getting rid of the idiots without hindering the normal riders too much.

2003 BMW R1100S 'Bumble Bee' | Heavily modified...
2007 BMW K1200S 'ICBM' |[/COLOR
Ralf

Reputation 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2008, 10:52:26 am »

All I know is that now with masses of riders on weekends at, for instance, the Sella Ronde and toll booths at some of the passes, with probably more to come, and more stringent controls on the horizon, the Alps are just not the same as there were say 10 years ago.

That said, there are a lot of roads out there and I know some secret routes that are less travel. So yes, higher is definitely not better  Wink

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2008, 12:39:16 pm »

ban tax paying vehicles from public roads?  Headscratch

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2008, 01:13:22 pm »

ban tax paying vehicles from public roads?  Headscratch

I wonder how much of that $1042.47 I spent in gas during those 4 weeks on the road over there was tax? Plenty, I'd bet!

All the best,
Alex
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7538

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2008, 12:24:39 am »

I don't think I've reposted in this thread after returning from Europe.

I want to say thank you to Global Rider for the advice and information which allowed me to feel confident in just renting a bike on my own and riding around.  Great exeperience.  The wife and I have basically agreed that once we have payed off the trip (with some other bills), we are heading back...Spain and France most likely this time.  Maybe I'll try to incorporate a job interview in England while I'm there. Smile
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2008, 06:53:19 am »

I want to say thank you to Global Rider for the advice and information which allowed me to feel confident in just renting a bike on my own and riding around.  Great experience.  The wife and I have basically agreed that once we have payed off the trip (with some other bills), we are heading back...Spain and France most likely this time.  Maybe I'll try to incorporate a job interview in England while I'm there. Smile

No need to. Its enough to know that you got to experience some great riding.

That is a problem; the desire to go back year after year.  Wink I'm counting the days myself, especially now that we got dumped on by snow this soon last night.

Sorry if you have and I haven't notice (or maybe I have and forgot - old age you know), but have you posted any pics or a ride report?

All the best,
Alex
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2008, 01:09:07 am »

No need to. Its enough to know that you got to experience some great riding.

That is a problem; the desire to go back year after year.  Wink I'm counting the days myself, especially now that we got dumped on by snow this soon last night.

Sorry if you have and I haven't notice (or maybe I have and forgot - old age you know), but have you posted any pics or a ride report?

I don't think I did a ride report...not much of a writter.  But pictures are available at http://burgifamily.smugmug.com
yotes65

Reputation 6

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 08' Triumph Sprint ST w/ABS & '02 Daytona 955i CE
GPS: Deer Valley Airport - Phx, AZ
Miles Typed: 890

My Photo Gallery

home sweet home...

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2008, 01:43:05 am »

GR... I've only finished the first of 7 pages of this thread. I wanted to "Thank You" for all of the usefully info that you have posted. A few friends and I would love to go across the pond for our own little Adventure. I will be reading more and planning a trip.

Thanks Again!

There are two types of folks in the World... those that Bitch & those that Do... Which are you?

Go Your Own Way - '08 Sprint ST /ABS & '02 Daytona 955i CE IBA #34976
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2008, 11:42:07 am »

I don't think I did a ride report...not much of a writer.  But pictures are available at http://burgifamily.smugmug.com

Same here, I don't do ride reports, instead, I prefer pics with short blurbs under each. You took a lot of pics (a few need to be rotated).

Where was this taken?

All the best,
Alex
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:02 am »

A few friends and I would love to go across the pond for our own little Adventure. I will be reading more and planning a trip.

Well I hope you do go. Anyone that has been will tell you, you won't regret it. You should have all the tools you need to start planning with those ADAC maps at the beginning of this thread.

I've started to add links to maps with some of my pics on my SmugMug site. I've started with the most recent years and will work my way back. Its a matter of spare time.

All the best,
Alex
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2008, 11:55:59 am »

Same here, I don't do ride reports, instead, I prefer pics with short blurbs under each. You took a lot of pics (a few need to be rotated).

Where was this taken?

Cinque Terra.  We didn't have the bike anymore at this point.  We took the train down from Zurich to Luzern (where my Great Grandmother is from) after we dropped off the bike.  Then the next day we took the train to Genova and then transferred to the milk train to Cinque Terra.

I was trying to remember which town this one was and I ran across almost the same picture on Wikipedia.   Lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Italy.Cinque.Terre.Manarola.2.jpg

In doing this trip we did the very first International ST.N meet in Arabba, It.  We meet up with Ant and his friend Gareth (hope I spelt that right).  Those are the two bloks you see in some of the motorcycle shots.

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2008, 11:57:36 am »

On helpful hint from me.  If you are going to be driving or riding around....bring a GPS with European maps if you can.  We bought a Garm just for this trip (well we wanted it for other things but a good excuse) and really that made life sooooooo much easier its hard to express how.  
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:35 pm »

Cinque Terra.

Can you easily walk from one town to the next and do they have a mini-train to get you about?

In doing this trip we did the very first International ST.N meet in Arabba, It.

Yes, I noticed from your pics that you were in Arabba. I was in the area at that time, but somehow things didn't work out.

All the best,
Alex
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2008, 12:31:57 pm »

Can you easily walk from one town to the next and do they have a mini-train to get you about?

There is a train that runs along the coast.

I think I remember reading that it's an hour or so between each town and you'd have to be pretty fit to try to walk all 5 towns in a day.

I think they recommend you hike a couple of hours, then find lodgings in one of the villages, then exploring the village before continuing on the next day.

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »

There is a train that runs along the coast.

I think I remember reading that it's an hour or so between each town and you'd have to be pretty fit to try to walk all 5 towns in a day.

I think they recommend you hike a couple of hours, then find lodgings in one of the villages, then exploring the village before continuing on the next day.

We started at the southern most town and tried to make the northern most.  It was mid to up 90's and very hi humity.  We didn't make it. We made the 4th town and then took the boat back.

Rick Steve's puts the record at around 5-6 hours to do the entire walk.  Its not flat...its pretty up and down and at times you are on the side of a cliff.  It was there I made the comment about personal responsability and how this trail would never exist in the States.   Lol
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal