Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: UK Satellite Tracking  (Read 13143 times)

Yankee Dog

Reputation 18

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 05:53:54 pm »

It's hard to believe something so unpopular cannot be reversed by a public outcry or an angry electorate.

Why does it seem that the people are powerless to do anything about it?

Why doesn't one of the political parties run on a platform of reversing Big Brother?

Because it is all done for our own good.  Think of the Childern for God's sake.  

See the post above about sheep.  We are doomed.  

Yankee Dog

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

sweeney todd

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 08:31:05 pm »

It's hard to believe something so unpopular cannot be reversed by a public outcry or an angry electorate.

Why does it seem that the people are powerless to do anything about it?

Why doesn't one of the political parties run on a platform of reversing Big Brother?

Why doesn't one of yours?  Same technology.  Same scenario?

We'll see what happens but I can't help thinking practical considerations will outweigh the 'Orwellian' ideal.  It would be nice to apprehend speeders, for instance, without even taking a photo but national and local governments will be much more interested in getting errant 'road charging' avoiders if this system becomes more widespread as is vaunted.

As to the guy who is moving to France to avoid the argument (and presumably all worries Lol).  Get real!  Just go la la la and ignore the whole thing wydontcha?
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 09:50:01 pm »

Why doesn't one of yours?  Same technology.  Same scenario?

I wasn't trying to sound disparaging.

I was just wondering why it just seems to be a foregone conclusion.

In the states I'd imagine there would be auto groups lobbying Congress while there would be much hand-wringing amongst civil liberties groups about infringements on their rights....sure, it might pass in the end because the insurance companies have deep pockets and Congressmen love their yachts but not before a brouhaha.

As a road tax solution, I have no qualms. Although, doesn't the tax disc thingie collect enough? As a satellite mounted speed camera...I can't imagine enjoying a jaunt on an empty road out in the countryside, then finding a ticket in the post a week later.

That would totally suck  Sad

Advertisement

Snowbird
evil minion

Reputation -179

Motorcycles: '01 Futura, '06 FJR
GPS: Man cave.
Miles Typed: 7767

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 11:09:08 pm »

Seems to me this is the best way out for any democratic nation.

At the same time also very unlikely since corporate money elects pols and the Big Brother technologies make the corporations money.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 11:11:09 pm by Snowbird » Logged

Two wheels or four, weight is the enemy.
FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 698

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 04:55:05 am »

That would totally suck

It would truely, as you say, suck.

It would, in fact, be time to give up personal transportation. What's the point of having a stupid power-to-weight ratio if you can't abuse it from time to time?

Anyway, with international terrorism and home-grown yobbery, the majority of the voting public feel all warm and cuddly knowing that Big Brother is watching over them. (It doesn't stop the crime, but boy do we catch the buggers quick! R.I.P. Jean Charles de Menezes)

As my dad likes to say, "If you don't do anything wrong, what's the problem?"
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 06:46:18 am »

It would truely, as you say, suck.

It would, in fact, be time to give up personal transportation. What's the point of having a stupid power-to-weight ratio if you can't abuse it from time to time?

Anyway, with international terrorism and home-grown yobbery, the majority of the voting public feel all warm and cuddly knowing that Big Brother is watching over them. (It doesn't stop the crime, but boy do we catch the buggers quick! R.I.P. Jean Charles de Menezes)

This is the problem, I have no qualms with ID cards and so on and so forth as I don't do anything wrong. Most countries in the world already have such a system, I just know that our Government would make such a monumental f**k up of implementing anything like this that it'd just be a waste and achieve nothing.

As for the speeding issue -  Withstupid
Speeding is the only law I... ummm... dodge and it would be a shame if this vice was removed, I can see a not-too-distant future where you find that if you crash your bike you're not insured since you've been over the speed limit about an hour ago (so not the cause of the accident)
Snowbird
evil minion

Reputation -179

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 08:51:14 am »

Well, one thing these new technologies will cause is appreciation of the value of older vehicles. Next time you upgrade your bike, consider holding onto the old one.

Same with older vehicles. I'm still driving my 1996 Tahoe 11 years later because I like it better than the newer ones. I will NOT buy a new GM vehicle with OnStar.... and I think they all have it now.

Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 01:39:58 pm »

That depends on what is defined as 'wrong'. If the government decides that any speed over 50mph is socially irresponsible I suppose we would all be wrongdoers and therefore potential recipients of speeding tickets on a daily basis. Lots of revenue for the government and presumably not so many vehicles on the roads if driving bans follow the speeding fines. Just another form of road pricing really when you think about it.... EEK!

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

Motorcycles: 2006 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
GPS: Cold side of conus
Miles Typed: 2686

My Photo Gallery

06' 'strom: world's bestest bike.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 12:11:50 pm »

That depends on what is defined as 'wrong'. If the government decides that any speed over 50mph is socially irresponsible I suppose we would all be wrongdoers and therefore potential recipients of speeding tickets on a daily basis. Lots of revenue for the government and presumably not so many vehicles on the roads if driving bans follow the speeding fines. Just another form of road pricing really when you think about it.... EEK!
 Rolleyes Yeah, because the words "intent" and "purpose" have no meaning.  Nuts  

Some of you people sheeple are not thinking this through very well.  "Not against a national ID"?  Maybe you'd be fine with the government inserting a tracking device in your forehead then?  Ever heard of RFIDs?  The use of such technologies applied to Gov't I.D.s can track what you eat, what you purchase, how often and on what days you go grocery shopping, and ALL KINDS of other information unnecessary for any "government" to successfully fulfill its civic responsibilities.  

Maybe you don't care if someone is able to track your whereabouts/habits.  There is only one type of entity that desires this kind of information: a hunter.  What value do you think such an entity would be hunting for?  Headscratch  Ponder it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:15:45 pm by forester » Logged

For a forester, EVERY day is Earth day.
               SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 09:37:29 pm »

Rolleyes Yeah, because the words "intent" and "purpose" have no meaning.  Nuts  
 Headscratch  Ponder it.

You really should take online tact 101.

Do you have to address everyone as if they're idiots and you're here to correct their misguided attempts at muddling thru life?

Ponder that.

Boxerdawg

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: BMW R1100S
GPS: Top Dead Center
Miles Typed: 402

My Photo Gallery

D'OH!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 11:15:44 pm »

If the sat. tracking goes in operation It'll be interesting to see what creative evasion technologies evolve from it.  

Chaos, Panic & Disorder: My Work Here is Done.

Formerly: twinzrule
sweeney todd

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2007, 08:02:49 pm »

I wasn't trying to sound disparaging.

I was just wondering why it just seems to be a foregone conclusion.

In the states I'd imagine there would be auto groups lobbying Congress while there would be much hand-wringing amongst civil liberties groups about infringements on their rights....sure, it might pass in the end because the insurance companies have deep pockets and Congressmen love their yachts but not before a brouhaha.

As a road tax solution, I have no qualms. Although, doesn't the tax disc thingie collect enough? As a satellite mounted speed camera...I can't imagine enjoying a jaunt on an empty road out in the countryside, then finding a ticket in the post a week later.

That would totally suck  Sad

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion Orson.  We are having a brewhaha as we speak and understandably so.  Apparently we are one of the most video'd nations on earth but there is no system or real integration, just a lot of city councils, shops, ammenities etc all doing their own thing.  In reality in some places (cities and towns) you may be captured on several cameras but coverage is almost non-existent in most places.

There is a big debate about speed cameras here.  They've proliferated over the past decade and the government is presently scratching it's head wondering why there is no real evidence of road casualty reductions over this period.  They've stayed around the same level as before the introduction of cameras.  Speed zealots still say it's because there aren't enough cameras but even the densest are beginning to realise that drivers/riders behaviour is a lot more complex than they had anticipated and meanwhile, police presence on the roads has declined (don't need 'em.....got cameras.... goes the argument) and drink driving/general bad driving is on the increase.

On the tracking front.  I have sat nav and a couple of mobile phones.  I believe I can already be tracked using this technology although I'm no expert?  Road charging has already started in inner London and has been proposed in several other places although there have been several local 'no' votes most recently in Edinburgh.  The government would like to see it in place for congestion reasons and also increasingly, as some sort of carbon tax.  I think their thinking is a bit muddled and there is plenty of resistance to such measures.

All the technology could be used by any future 'bad' governments to do nasty stuff to their citizens and that alone is good enough reason for me to resist some of the measures but each individual initiative is usually laden with perfectly good other reasons to object such as cost and effectiveness in the case of things like ID cards.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:04:37 pm by sweeney todd » Logged
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

Motorcycles: 2006 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
GPS: Cold side of conus
Miles Typed: 2686

My Photo Gallery

06' 'strom: world's bestest bike.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2007, 05:31:54 am »

You really should take online tact 101.

Do you have to address everyone as if they're idiots and you're here to correct their misguided attempts at muddling thru life?

Ponder that.

Don't you have some oil to drill or something?  Lol

For a forester, EVERY day is Earth day.
               SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
Snowbird
evil minion

Reputation -179

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 07:33:31 am »

Some of you people sheeple are not thinking this through very well.

Imagine that... the "everythings ok" crowd not thinking things through.   EEK!

Wink

Maltese_Wizard
European Wanderer

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Vulcan 1600 Classic
GPS: Warwickshire
Miles Typed: 81

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 08:03:27 am »

looks like you can sign a petition against this Big Brother crap, i can't see them being able to do it to be honest...  Headscratch Sad

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid !!
-----------------------------------------------
Kawasaki - VN1600 Classic : )  Honda - GL1500E Goldwing  Yamaha - XV1600 Custom Fat-Boy (Black
Snowbird
evil minion

Reputation -179

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 11:12:19 am »

looks like you can sign a petition against this Big Brother crap, i can't see them being able to do it to be honest...  Headscratch Sad

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

At least the Brits are petitioning their govenment. But, unlike the US, they have no constitutional right to do so. Correct me if I am wrong. A statutory right is not a substitute.

Cpl Punishment

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07, '08
GPS: The Queen Mother's Lap
Miles Typed: 5062

My Photo Gallery

27.23 GBP Sock Puppet, and harbinger of reason.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2007, 01:29:14 pm »

Some good news. Speed cameras will be reduced in number come April. The petition against road pricing by cagers has worked. For the rest...I'm thinking of buying an Enfield... Bigsmile

So, what is a sock puppet?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal