Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: So I rented a 2008 StreetGlide.  (Read 5260 times)

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:43:46 pm »

My g/f had never been on a Harley, so I rented a 2008 Street Glide on Saturday.  This is a model that I thought was pretty cool so I thought, why not?
The bike was rented from Route 66 in Marina Del Rey, CA.  Really nice peeps to deal with, it was $145 for the day, unlimited miles.  They put on a pillion back rest when they saw I was going to have a passenger which was a nice touch.
First impressions, beautiful bike.  Sits low, really easy to handle and turns very nicely.  Surprising that the touring bikes  IMO turn better than any of the other smaller bikes.  Something to do with the triple trees..
The bike started instantly, Harley really has the FI down.  The new 6 speed gear box is great, much better than any of the older ones that I have ridden.  Goes into gear with a surprising solid metallic 'ting'.  Gear shift lever has a nice shortish throw.  I only used the front part of the lever and shifted the way you would shift a regular bike, I can't stand the heal part of the toe and heal shifter, but this is just personal preference.
Clutch now is super light and smooth, wow what a change!  With the instant torque this is a really easy bike to pull away from a stop on.  Vibes like a MOFO at idle and when you pull the clutch in, smooths out nicely when on the gas.
Really easy to ride slowly, balance and manouver.  Mirrors amazingly stay vibe free.  Best new part - the brakes!  The 2008 have Brembos and this one had ABS.  The bike now has two finger front brakes, really good stuff and about time.  Front really well balanced with the back brake and it makes it confidence inspiring to ride.
Ok, back to moving off, the bike pulls away surprisingly hard given it's size, and is up to 70mph in a matter of moments.  The 96 cube motor finally has given the bike the power it needs.  Roll on accelerating on the freeway was easy from 70 to an indicated 90mph.   Never felt this before on other touring Harleys that I had ridden.  Bike swings easily into bends, really nice to get a mellow grove on.  I even averaged 48mpg 2 up, so with the new 6 gallon tank that gives an almost 300 mile range.  Most excellent.
Ok, the downside....
I'll take this from inconsequential to serious:
1/ The stereo's readout was ineligible.  I couldn't see the LCD type in daylight or night.  I'm guessing there is a setting to change the contrast but it wasn't my bike and I didn't have the owner's manual.
2/  The security proximity key fob makes no sense.  You need it to start the bike, but if the bike is running and for some reason you leave on the bike (or someone takes it) but the rider does not have the fob, the bike will continue to run until it is turned off.  Then it will not restart.  Which could be the aforementioned 300 miles away..
I don't know why they don't just make them like Ducati keys where the chip in the key itself communicates with the ECU.  No correct key, bike does not run.  Flashing light on the dash shows the system is 'armed' when the key is out. Simple, and nothing extra is needed.  I guess it's a way for the mfg to sell you another $500 accessory.
3/  The windscreen gives you the most insane head buffeting I have ever experienced.  I'm 5'10, and anything over maybe 40mph is torture.  And yes, I was wearing earplugs the entire time.  As is (stock) the bike is only  useable (for my dimensions) around town until a different shield is added.  But how do you know how big a shield is needed?  Seems like an expensive game of trial and error.

4/ The suspension well and truly bites.  What happened to the damping?  This thing crashes over bumps and ripples bang through to the rider.  Not cool.

5/ The bike runs crazy hot.  It was a 65 degree day and I was wearing full leathers.  I was moving the entire time, not in stop and go traffic, and still the underside of my right thigh was roasted.  I had never experienced this on any other Harleys, but they were pre 96 cube models.  Apparently the stage 1 kit is the fix, apparently, but if this is the case then why is that not offered as stock?  If it was my bike I would insist on this as a warranty claim.  Anyone out there know if the stage 1 kit is emmissions legal?  IMO the bike would be unrideable in moderate summer weather unless this issue is addressed.

In summary:
Pros: looks great, motor has perfect torquey power for it's mission, great brakes (bless Brembo!), great gas mileage, easy handling, great clutch, nice gearbox, smooth belt drive.

Cons: lousy suspension, buffeting, heat.  For $20K, at least 2 out of those 3 should be fixed!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:10:49 pm by atadaskew » Logged

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

chornbe

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:38:07 pm »

The suspension is "industrial", but works well enough. I'm hitting up Traxxion later on for mine. I have the 9" shield and a Laminar Lip.  Thumbsup

Yeah, the heat is an issue. There are ways to correct it, but they're all ass and require $$$. I'm living with it for the time being. I'll likely just toss a Power Command in it to richen it a little, and call it done.
Galo
Non cogito, ergo zoom

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Yes
GPS: Just West of PDX
Miles Typed: 4586

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:41:32 pm »

I'll likely just toss a Power Command in it to richen it a little, and call it done.

Thumbsup

Not all who wander are lost....
JRR Tolkien
Advertisement

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:28:05 pm »

I dunno, a guy on motorcycle-usa.com claims he can't tell any difference with the heat with the stage 1 kit (filter, remap, pipes).  Still describes it as a furnace.
If it cooked me through leathers on a 65 degree day while in constant motion, I don't think that there's much that richening the mixture is going to do in hot weather.  The dealership suggests a heat shield which they are happy to sell to you...
Does anyone know if that works?

st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:28:43 pm »

3/  The windscreen gives you the most insane head buffeting I have ever experienced.  I'm 5'10, and anything over maybe 40mph is torture.  And yes, I was wearing earplugs the entire time.  As is (stock) the bike is only  useable (for my dimensions) around town until a different shield is added.  But how do you know how big a shield is needed?  Seems like an expensive game of trial and error.

Try a 2003-2005 FJR with stock screen: Brutal is the only way to desribe the pounding on the top of the head and the pushing from the back you have to deal with at highway speed.

4/ The suspension well and truly bites.  What happened to the damping?  This thing crashes over bumps and ripples bang through to the rider.  Not cool.

Can be fixed with aftermarket bits, like many other bikes, right?

5/ The bike runs crazy hot.  It was a 65 degree day and I was wearing full leathers.

96 cubes with cooling fins for 88. The extra fin area needed was judged too wide by the designers. The best part of the 96 is the improvements in the cam chest: plain bearings and IIRC better cam chain tensioners. BIG improvemnt over the 88.

Good write up.  Thumbsup

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:26 pm »

I have the 9" shield and a Laminar Lip.  Thumbsup

Do you have pics of that?

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:36:20 pm »

Can be fixed with aftermarket bits, like many other bikes, right?

Yeah, the suspension would be the easiest thing to fix, but call me crazy thinking that if I just dropped $20K on a bike that I would expect a decent ride. Wink
The funny thing is that the brakes are freakin' great now so anyone that mentions Harleys have crap brakes hasn't ridden a Brembo equipped 08 model.  Now give it boingers that would justify the 'Glide name!

chornbe

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 05:52:05 am »

Concerning the heat, the bottom line is this: It's a circle of life kind of thing. Due to Harley's stupid single-pin crank and goofy firing order (thus causing "the sound" that people seem to love so much), the bike is almost always in a state of partial mis-fire, thus increasing emissions of unburned fuel. So, rather than piss people off by fixing the engine design and ruining "the sound", rather than change the engine so it runs right, they leaned the bike out farther and farther, decreasing emissions, but increasing the heat, and only INCREASED the poor idle behavior. Harleys idle on a wing and a prayer. They've got a really good fuel injection system going and things are working the way they are, but between the heat and ever-increasing emissions standards, there's only so far they can take that engine before they have to redesign, or re-spec the engine to idle at like 2000rpm  Bigsmile

It's a stop-gap solution at best. They have to change the engine next, or they have to lobby to have the emissions standards altered so the bike's output is measured above-idle rather than at-idle like currently they are.  

Do you have pics of that?

I can snap a few. Here's one that you can *almost* see.

Here's the bike as stock. That stock shield, while looking VERY cool, lasted all of about 2 or 3 days on the bike. Bleh!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:00:04 am by chornbe » Logged
st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:58:19 am »

Yeah, the suspension would be the easiest thing to fix, but call me crazy thinking that if I just dropped $20K on a bike that I would expect a decent ride. Wink...

You do have a decent "Harley" ride: keeps you in touch with the handling realities.  Smile I found with my old Dyna, if I rode it within its limits, it rode well. Start pushing it, and , well, I now have a Ducati.  Smile

You left out one very vital bit of information from your excellent review: Did the GF like the bike? I find many if not most women are polarised when it comes to HD. It's a love hate thing. My daughter LOVES HD, and most other bikes except metric cruisers, and my X-wife HATES HD, thinking only "trashy" people ride them. I did mention she's my X right?  Wink

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 01:51:48 pm by st ryder » Logged

Regards,

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:17:45 pm »

You left out one very vital bit of information from your excellent review: Did the GF like the bike?  

She loved the idea of the bike, having never ridden on a Harley before.  She loved the sound and the look and the novelty of the stereo.  She hated the seat (but I told her that that is easily fixed by just picking a Sundowner out of the HD catalogue) and the ride.  She mentioned that she was far more comfy on the back of my St4s which rode much smoother over bumpy roads.  Guess that's what Ohlins does for you.  She also did not like the vibes which I thought was a bit surprising cuz for me the vibes were only there at idle or when I pulled the clutch in.  On the throttle it was smooth.  I guess it's different depending on where you sit on the bike.  She described it as one of those coin operated vibrating beds...
I have a couple of really cute pics of her on the bike. I should post at least the one with her helmet on, just to give her a little privacy..

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 11:17:55 pm »

ok, her on the Harley:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/XHog.jpg

And on her normal ride:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/Duc1.jpg

st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 08:32:42 am »

ok, her on the Harley:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/XHog.jpg

And on her normal ride:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/Duc1.jpg

You're a lucky guy.  Thumbsup

Regards,

chornbe

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 10:05:42 am »

I'm not sure how *anyone* who's not specifically looking to enjoy a Harley for what it is ever could after riding that Duc. Talk about different worlds. Smile
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 11:14:15 am »

I'm not sure how *anyone* who's not specifically looking to enjoy a Harley for what it is ever could after riding that Duc. Talk about different worlds. Smile

Oh no, it was her idea to rent one as it looked so much fun to her.  Wanted to try the mellow cruise thing.  They are different worlds, and that is the whole point!  Does not mean that her comments about vibes and a rough ride are not valid.
You can see the smile on her face, sorta.  It's cuz she's diggin' it despite the rough edges. Thumbsup

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal