Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Xexon (HID) light for your ride? under $100??  (Read 8566 times)

03K12RS
Short trips = 300 mi.

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2003 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Buffalo, NY (born) - Milwaukee, WI (raised)
Miles Typed: 131

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2006, 07:53:41 am »

Xexon (HID) light for your ride? under $100??

Just passing along to let you know there is an option to light up the roadway for a good price, under $100 (motorcycle kit) and replacement bulbs are $40. You can read up on it from a BMW site: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7985&page=1&pp=10, but the product is not BMW specific. The company is CQLight.CA and can be found here: http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.php?cPath=32_45&products_id=69 and shipping is free!  Bigok

03K12RS
Joel Callan
Milwaukee, WI pictures: 03K12RS homepage: http://
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

BrianM

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 02:02:18 pm »

Yet Another 'bulb replacement' kit....  Silly consumers.  Soon as they start coming with Lenses designed for the way HID bulbs work, then there'll be a product worth buying.
03K12RS
Short trips = 300 mi.

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 03:11:35 pm »

I'll try to get the before and after pictures on my bike. But have seen it on others and those "silly customers" got much better output compared to stock H7 bulb. Twofinger

03K12RS
Joel Callan
Advertisement

throttlemeister
formally afterburn

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: R1100S, K1200S
GPS: Netherlands
Miles Typed: 320

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 05:29:10 pm »

Yet Another 'bulb replacement' kit....  Silly consumers.  Soon as they start coming with Lenses designed for the way HID bulbs work, then there'll be a product worth buying.

It depends on the bike. I fitted my S with HID, and the lens works like it was build for it. Lots and lots of light, very sharp cut-off where it needs to be and no light going where it shouldn't be going.

If I ride next to a car at night, it is like the car with its 2 halogen bulbs isn't running low beams at all. I love it. Best investment I did to my bike.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 05:32:23 pm by throttlemeister » Logged

2003 BMW R1100S 'Bumble Bee' | Heavily modified...
2007 BMW K1200S 'ICBM' |[/COLOR
chaserkeywest

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: CBRXX 1200 Bandit Ducati Monster
Miles Typed: 67

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 05:31:59 pm »

Xexon (HID) light for your ride? under $100??

Just passing along to let you know there is an option to light up the roadway for a good price, under $100 (motorcycle kit) and replacement bulbs are $40. You can read up on it from a BMW site: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7985&page=1&pp=10, but the product is not BMW specific. The company is CQLight.CA and can be found here: http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.php?cPath=32_45&products_id=69 and shipping is free!  Bigok

Just found out about this, how much better??  Sounds like a good deal!
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 10:38:50 pm »

Nice "Kits" Too bad the company does not sell 4300k kits.

P.S. If you want the most usable light anything above 4500k in color looks cool but actually produces less light.
       That and the BiXenon (HID and Halogen mix) SUX big time, the low beam (HID) is great but the high beam (halogen) is worthless. Ask me because I know from experience.

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Tritium
Now POSIX compliant!

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: BMW R1200GS
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 615

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:57:52 am »

I've read a lot of positive anecdotes on the pelicanparts forums about HIDs and R1100S reflectors working very nicely.

These are on my "safety to-do list" along with a stebel air horn and a BRAKE! LED taillight. Smile
bpg

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 Honda CBR1100XX '08 Yamaha WR250R (sold :( ) '78 Honda XL250S
GPS: Born/raised/sometimes summer in Clarion, PA; work in Charlotte NC
Miles Typed: 680

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:12:29 am »

Hmmm - was looking at these already - keep us posted!

HID bulb replacement kits work great with the XX reflector, and low beam is all I need (I want to run a modulator on high beam)...

- Brendan

Will travel for twisties...  What is this mysterious "service shop" you speak of?!?
Penforhire
'08 R1200RT

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 05:07:15 pm »

My dual HID H4 conversion works great for low beams on my FJR.  Night-and-day difference.  Beam spread is just about perfect and side-by-side on-a-wall-at-the-same-distance tests make it look like my friends' ST1300 and K1200RS are lit with candles.  I have a bi-xenon (shuttered) set-up but the high-beam addition is not worthwhile.  YMMV.
woodyfjr

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:44:41 am »

My dual HID H4 conversion works great for low beams on my FJR.  Night-and-day difference.  Beam spread is just about perfect and side-by-side on-a-wall-at-the-same-distance tests make it look like my friends' ST1300 and K1200RS are lit with candles.  I have a bi-xenon (shuttered) set-up but the high-beam addition is not worthwhile.  YMMV.

Where did you get your convertion from as I,m looking for an extra Mod for my Fjr?
Penforhire
'08 R1200RT

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16:34 pm »

Was a group buy from a Chinese supplier over a year ago (sorry, no linkie), around $300-even for a dual bi-xenon kit delivered.  If I had it to do over again I'd get the low-beam only kit for $100 less.  Keep an eye open for group buys.  I think the FJR board had one a couple of months ago?
03K12RS
Short trips = 300 mi.

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 02:29:03 pm »

Bike has HID light installed, sorry no pictures until plastic is back on and wheels back from powdercoating.  Wink

Will post when all work is done. CP quick disconnects on, still waiting on CF Pyramid hugger for rear wheel.  Razz

Group buy for HID light puts cost closer to $90 from www.k-bikes.com website.  Bigok
http://cqlight.ca/product_info.php?cPath=32_45&products_id=69

03K12RS
Joel Callan
03K12RS
Short trips = 300 mi.

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 03:13:41 pm »

Installation of Hyperpro steering damper completed. (picture attached showing steering damper, front Ohlin, Piaa light and dual Fiam horns)
Fuel line quick disconnects completed (no picture yet)
Powdercoated wheels in progress (no picture yet)
Rear Pyramid carbon fiber hugger (no picture yet)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:15:56 pm by 03K12RS » Logged

03K12RS
Joel Callan
automag928

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 FJR1300A
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 09:58:23 am »

That and the BiXenon (HID and Halogen mix) SUX big time, the low beam (HID) is great but the high beam (halogen) is worthless. Ask me because I know from experience.

Just want to clarify with you on this...Bi-Xenon is NOT HID & halogen mixed.  Maybe you are referring to some other kit or something, but when manufacturers such as Acura or BMW refer to bi-xenon it is ALL HID lighting (the same bulb actually).  Bi-xenon headlamps use a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam.  Bi-xenon works with a butterfly type shutter...When you use the low beam the shutter is down, covering a portion, when you hit the highs, the shutters open and give you high beam pattern.  The same light is on, just now "unblocked" to give you more light.  Some HID setups use HID for low beam, and halogen as high beam - that is NOT bi-xenon.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 11:53:07 am »

Just want to clarify with you on this...Bi-Xenon is NOT HID & halogen mixed.  Maybe you are referring to some other kit or something, but when manufacturers such as Acura or BMW refer to bi-xenon it is ALL HID lighting (the same bulb actually).  Bi-xenon headlamps use a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam.  Bi-xenon works with a butterfly type shutter...When you use the low beam the shutter is down, covering a portion, when you hit the highs, the shutters open and give you high beam pattern.  The same light is on, just now "unblocked" to give you more light.  Some HID setups use HID for low beam, and halogen as high beam - that is NOT bi-xenon.

When I referred to BiXenon (HID high beam and Halogen low) --hint hint look at the description---  
There are a few types of "BiXenon" if you look around you will see there are ones like the lights you are describing (moving bulb-or shutter) and there are the two HID bulb type as well as the HID low and Halogen high. A quick look on E-Bay will illuminate this point for you.  Twofinger

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
automag928

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 FJR1300A
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 12:29:15 pm »

When I referred to BiXenon (HID high beam and Halogen low) --hint hint look at the description---  
There are a few types of "BiXenon" if you look around you will see there are ones like the lights you are describing (moving bulb-or shutter) and there are the two HID bulb type as well as the HID low and Halogen high. A quick look on E-Bay will illuminate this point for you.  Twofinger

That is incorrect.  hint hint look at the description... The prefix ‘bi’ comes to us from Latin and means ‘two’,  so bi = two; two-xenon, not 1 xenon and 1 halogen....Yes there is a "bi-xenon" with TWO bulbs per lamp, and then there is bi-xenon with a shutter or moving bulb...But either way, bi-xenon uses xenon for both low and high beams....I guess Ebay is the end all be all of education these days...  Rolleyes Lol
Penforhire
'08 R1200RT

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 07:47:27 pm »

Mine has the butterfly shutter but I have also heard of in-out motion on the capsule, which is better for the lighting because the typical H4 reflector high-beam focal point is different.  The downside is, reportedly, worse longevity to the mechanism.
03K12RS
Short trips = 300 mi.

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 10:14:00 am »

Sorry for the delay in posting.

I went to get pictures of upgrades to bike yesterday but batteries froze and no power to camera means no pictures yet (damhik). Guess I need to make up for that soon. Winter project for upgrade done and will post pictures this week.   Smile

03K12RS
Joel Callan
03K12RS
Short trips = 300 mi.

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 06:28:39 pm »

Long delay since I posted about install of HID Xenon light
Pictures are under similar conditions, though I was more straight on for the HID light (blue tint)
First picture is stock H7 lamp with Piaa 1100 lights, second picture is with HID Xenon light and Piaa lights.

03K12RS
Joel Callan
FuturaPilot

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 03:28:17 pm »

Looks like a nice upgrade, light produced looks very similar to the 1100x's.  I have had two sets of the PIAA's in the past and they are worth their weight in gold!
JCIII
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal