Poll
Question: Every child college bound is.....
a great mission statement - 9 (16.7%)
is ridiculous considering the circumstances - 36 (66.7%)
is ok if you consider McDonalds to be college - 4 (7.4%)
ok if you consider working in college janitorial services going to college - 5 (9.3%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Every child college bound  (Read 3613 times)

county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:46:01 pm »

So this is the new theme for Memphis city schools.  They are putting it on the side of city buses.

Considering the state of Tennessee has threatened to assume control of about a dozen Memphis schools for failure of  graduates to pass the state competency exams I find this silly.

Do you have an opinion?

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bizarro

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:14:21 pm »

Do you have an opinion?

No.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:16:51 pm »

Yeah it's unrealistic.
Advertisement

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:46:46 pm »

and unnecessary

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:48:31 pm »

Having just put my teenager through the public school system, I know the system we have nationwide is incredibly flawed.  It does NOT prepare kids to go to college.  Many kids pass even though they don't deserve to pass.  They systematically make the High School Exit Exam easy (5th grade level) so as not to offend people who's kids are not smart enough to pass.  In today's public school system, the children's parents are required, REQUIRED, to play a very active part of their child's education.  Without that participation, the child is simply "shoved" along the system until they get puked out into the real world having only a 5th grade education!  Many are unable to compose a paragraph and spell correctly.  Many do not have basic Math skills other than adding and subtracting.  The result is that students with actively participating parents regarding their education and their future are the ones who have the best chance of getting out of HS with near-college level skills to at least get through the first semester of college.  After that, if they even make it into college, many drop out like flies.  That's because most never develop the discipline nor the skills on how to properly study, read, write, and make complex calculations.  This doesn't even take into consideration the cost of college education.  

So every child college bound?  Not in a long shot.  I read somewhere that only 30% of HS graduates go to college.  Even then another 10% of them drop out after the first 2 years for a variety of reasons.  Cost and lack of skills are high up there.  So only 20% actually graduate with a skill and/or degree.  And in general, that 20% become the movers and shakers of this country's economy.  They become the kings and queens of industry--the people that make things happen so we end up with companies to work for, design modern machines, command our military and our government, etc.  

Today, being a HS puke is just a beginning.  If you are a college puke you're already ahead of the game.  

Rogue
RexRider

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:53:25 pm »

Not everyone WANTS to go to university.  After all, there is a need for people who can build and maintain the HVAC systems, electircal systems, all the infrastructure of the country and economy.  I think one of the most short sighted things our government ever did was to scrap publicly funded vocational education.  There are still some Community College programs, but it's near impossible to work full time (gotta pay the rent, right?) and complete them, and the alternative is expensive places like AMI and the like.  IMHO, Europe has it much better figured out with apprenticeship programs at most corporations, and a two pronged education system that takes care of both the college bound and the vocational.
Tar Snake
Lord of teh Typo!

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 1988 BMW K75s
GPS: Laguna Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4233

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 02:38:17 pm »

Not everyone WANTS to go to university. After all, there is a need for people who can build and maintain the HVAC systems, electrical systems, all the infrastructure of the country and economy.  I think one of the most short sighted things our government ever did was to scrap publicly funded vocational education. There are still some Community College programs, but it's near impossible to work full time (gotta pay the rent, right?) and complete them, and the alternative is expensive places like AMI and the like.  IMHO, Europe has it much better figured out with apprenticeship programs at most corporations, and a two pronged education system that takes care of both the college bound and the vocational.

Bigok

Well said, 4 years of college would have been wasted on me. I wanted to learn a vocation and start working. I took a lot of vocational classes in HS and ended up going with electronics which as worked out well for me. In the meantime if I've wanted to learn about something I take a course at the JC or hit my boss up for training.

I think trades could still be viable today, many people today pay somebody to do everything for them from the most basic; lawn care, house cleaning, to HVAC, plumbing, car repair, computer repair, and all the home remodeling stuff.

If you're good with your hands as well as your mind there should be some opportunities for the non-college bound and Auto Techs and such are in demand since schools don't send people down the vocational path anymore.

Go soothingly by

Chris  
Baz

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9020

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 02:59:52 pm »

I agree fully that not everyone is college material. Actually, 3 of the richest people I know have not even finished high school. There is also nothing wrong at all with being a tradesman. In fact, where I live there is a severe shortage of them & I know of one case where a welder was getting paid $1000.00 a day plus living expenses.

I do believe though that future middle class jobs are not going to be in the trades area (since we decided to move all of our manufacturing jobs to China) As the middle class jobs continue to get exported, you may actually need a college education to get hired at MacDonald's in the future.

So as the mission statement goes, I think it's a much better one than lets say "Everybody will pass grade 8". Is it obtainable? probably not.

I do believe though that our kids are going to have to have a higher skill set when they enter the workforce than we did.
Shhted
gustatus similis pullus

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08
Motorcycles: '95 R1100R
GPS: Mini-apple-ish
Miles Typed: 2128

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 03:04:49 pm »

and unnecessary
+ a brazillion.  

So what does the Memphis School Super drive and is it funded by taxpayers?  I think the lease might be up finally on the Cadillac Escalade that they gifted to the worthless sack o' shyte that used to run Mpls schools.  Nice gig if you can get it.

Drink beer.  As much as you like.  Mostly good stuff.
Johnny Monsoon

Reputation -116

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 3621

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 03:09:54 pm »

Yeah it's unrealistic.

True, and would completely devalue the college graduate.  Gotta have 'haves' and 'have-not's'.
Zerosum

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '88 Hawk GT, '97 VFR750, '06 V-Strom 650
GPS: Baltimore, MD
Miles Typed: 2732

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 03:37:27 pm »

I remember when I hit college back in 1995.  I slacked though high school, got decent grades, but had no idea how lax it really was.  College kicked my ass.  I buckled down and didn't flunk out, but man it was hard.  Looking back, it really was sort of a waste, though.  I had no idea what I wanted to do... I liked science, so I was studying biology, but had absolutely zero plans on a "carreer."  

In the end, I had to drop out of the private college and go to community college because of money issues.  It was at community college (on my own dime!) that I figured out what I wanted to do and did it.  I feel kind of bad when I think about how much $$$ was spent for me to basically dick around for those first two years.  I did make some good friends and had a lot of fun goofing off, but that's about it.

This whole "mandatory 4 years of college after high school" idea is so dumb.  Unless they're super-focused, I think most "college bound" kids should do the first two years at community college, figure out what you want to do THERE, then transfer to a "real" school.  Or just get an AA and run with it.  That's what I did, and I (somehow) wound up doing way better then most of the people I know with BA degrees.

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
Bubwheat

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 03:41:10 pm »

As a mission statement no problem. But, I'm thinkin' a few people don't know what a mission statement is all about.  Wink
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 04:14:05 pm »

So as the mission statement goes, I think it's a much better one than lets say "Everybody will pass grade 8". Is it obtainable? probably not.

How about "Every child able to read, write, balance a checkbook, and point at all seven continents on a map?"  Not catchy enough, I suppose.

KeS
Mydlyfkryzis

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1976 CB360t; 1991 CB750 Nighthawk
GPS: Northern NJ
Miles Typed: 939

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 04:15:31 pm »

How about "Every child able to read, write, balance a checkbook, and point at all seven continents on a map?"  Not catchy enough, I suppose.

KeS

+1
cbsnbiker
I speak only for myself.

Reputation -383

Motorcycles: BMWs: '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6, '07 F650GS; '06 F650GS (RIP), '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now).
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 5693

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 07:33:22 pm »

Every child* should have the opportunity to go to college.

That is not the same as saying that every child should go to college.

*(Every child who is able, of course.)

BMWMOA Life Member, MSF-certified RiderCoach, etc.

Sorry I'm not going to read your link. If it contradicts what I&
DrD
[eom]

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '15 BMW S1000R
GPS: Reston, VA
Miles Typed: 1502

My Photo Gallery

Just passing by

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 09:50:11 pm »

Since the late 1950's about 25% of the population aged 24+ in the US has an undergraduate degree or above. [Look up the census data.]  The economy can't use much more than that and the cost is prohibitive for many.

100%?  Give me a break.

cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 09:59:15 pm »

Every child* should have the opportunity to go to college.

That is not the same as saying that every child should go to college.

*(Every child who is able, of course.)

Yup.

I am tired of people forgetting about vocational education.  It's not a bad thing, and you'll make more after learning how to run a CNC mill than 4 years to get a BA in English.

Lauren
highside

Reputation 11

GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 4293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 11:10:17 pm »

All you have to do is drastically lower the standards for entering college, and accept that you will end up with PhDs flipping burgers.
Snowbird
evil minion

Reputation -179

Motorcycles: '01 Futura, '06 FJR
GPS: Man cave.
Miles Typed: 7767

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 08:12:12 am »

Yup.

I am tired of people forgetting about vocational education.  It's not a bad thing, and you'll make more after learning how to run a CNC mill than 4 years to get a BA in English.

Two of my brokest friends have degrees in english... yet one is going for her Phd. She hopes to land a job paying about $30k teaching.

Who will work on our cars and motorcycles, build our houses, grow our food?

Two wheels or four, weight is the enemy.
5OUTTA6
Let's be safe out there

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '09, '10
Motorcycles: KLR, CT90
GPS: Somewhere on Earth
Miles Typed: 581

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 08:30:26 am »

Every child is a PhD candidate once they enter kindergarden.....
Let's face it. All kids are not bound for college. We still need tradespersons and grocery clerks. But will even these type jobs be available in the future?
I think many colleges have changed from being institutions of higher learning to that of big business.
$200 for a college textbook?  Football coaches making in the millions, very low interest  real estate loans to professors, yada yada yada.
We are headed for a two class society.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal