Topic: GSX650F  (Read 11296 times)

anthonyd5189

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: GS500F
Miles Typed: 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:04 pm »

Hey guys, brand new on this site.  I'm looking to get the GSX650F in a couple months for my next bike.  I'd like to use it for 3-4 day trips and just every day use.  What do you guys think?  I know is based off the Bandit 650, with slight differences.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:26:04 pm by anthonyd5189 » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

JGreb

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '08 FJR, '08 650R, '07 Super Duke
Miles Typed: 384

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:39:16 pm »

I like this bike alot and my wife wants this or the Kawi 650R for her first bike. There doesn't seem to be alot out there on it yet since it is so new. It is a little heavy and if that bothers you the 650R might be something to look at.

From what I have read on this forum people love the Kawi 650R and it gets awesome gas mileage in the 50-55 mpg range.

I haven't seen any ride reports for the GSX650F yet on STN. It is so new we need someone to  buy it and report back, so maybe you should pick one up let us all know how it rides.
anthonyd5189

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: GS500F
Miles Typed: 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:27:16 pm »

Haha..I just might have to do that.  I have found two reviews on it from sources out in Europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2007/11/24/nosplit/mfbike24.xml

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Motorbikes/Bikes.aspx?cp-documentid=6903095
Advertisement

rauchman
Capt Ugachaka

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV1000S / 2013 Harley Davidson Switchback
GPS: Teaneck, NJ
Miles Typed: 612

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:38:46 am »

While at the IMS show this year, my primary focus was on the Bandit 1250, yet, I really liked the 650 version.  It seemed like a very comfy mount that I'm sure could zing down the road but in a more practical manner.  I'm sure it's fast enough to get the blood pumping but not a torture rack like the super sports.  Should make a fun bike that you could tour on.

Don't pee into the wind!!!
rauchman
Capt Ugachaka

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV1000S / 2013 Harley Davidson Switchback
GPS: Teaneck, NJ
Miles Typed: 612

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:35:04 am »

Just got the new Rider magazine in the mail yesterday and they have an article on it.  Came down to budget suspension and brakes, but comfortable, good wind protection and fun.  I was surprised that it only dyno'd at 73.3hp and 42ftlbs.  Very smooth arc lines on the dyno though.  Comes in at 532lbs wet.  Tank range good for just over 200 miles.  Also has a 160 tire in the rear.  Would probably make a decent ST.  I'm sure the heft gives good stability and the 160 tire makes for easy turn in.  Personally, I have to believe that an SV650S w/ helibars would make a more entertaining ride.  Roughly the same power but somewhere around 100lbs lighter.  But the GSXF650 is marketed for someone that just completed the MSF course and wants a sporty ride, but not a machine that is too over the top for them.  Actually, the SV fits this criteria as well.  Overall, the review was positive.  I really like Rider magazine's reviews.  They are based more for real world riding rather than top speeds at the track.  They do touring w/ the bike they are reviewing and they give great input from an ST perspective.

Don't pee into the wind!!!
Zerosum

Reputation 6

Miles Typed: 2733

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:54:29 am »

You've gotta hand it to Suzuki.  They (and to a lesser extent Kawasaki) really cater to the practical, non-cruiser, non-squid rider.  They have a complete line of V-twin and inline-4 streetbikes to choose from.  They're definately my favorite manufacturer these days.

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
Fudge
Cam Hed

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: R1200R
GPS: Far from Mountains
Miles Typed: 334

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:01:04 am »

You've gotta hand it to Suzuki.  They (and to a lesser extent Kawasaki) really cater to the practical, non-cruiser, non-squid rider.  They have a complete line of V-twin and inline-4 streetbikes to choose from.  They're definately my favorite manufacturer these days.

I agree. Thumbsup Suzuki produces a variety of nice quality bikes at very reasonable price points.
FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1753

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:41:38 am »

+1 - That's why I have owned four Suzuki's and own one now.

The GSX650F looks good and got good reviews in this months Rider mag - its a bike you can ride around all day without having to see a chiropractor at days end.

Lon
Mower

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 Concours 14, '08 DL1000, '10 KTM 690 E-R
GPS: Hudson, NH
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 11:19:30 am »

Hey guys, brand new on this site.  I'm looking to get the GSX650F in a couple months for my next bike.  I'd like to use it for 3-4 day trips and just every day use.  What do you guys think?  I know is based off the Bandit 650, with slight differences.

After reading the Rider review of it - I almost fell in love with the dang thing.

* 480lb load cap.  That's after you fill it with gas and oil.  That's more than a Gold Wing.  Plenty available weight capacity for *anything* you could ever want to bolt on, even 2-up (assuming you and your passenger are average weights).

* Full fairing - horray, wind protection.  I love fairings. Smile

* Sporty without being a superbike - like the Katana, but even more upright (like the bandit).  Newer FI engine.

* Big gas tank.  5 gallons should take you quite a ways on that bike.

Heck, all it's missing is ABS - and I'd be quite tempted.

'10 Concours 14 / '10 KTM 690 E-R / '08 DL1000
AMA / ST.N / DoD / RoK
JamesG
Home again!

Reputation -66

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Columbus, GA
Miles Typed: 4912

My Photo Gallery

vroom.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 11:31:35 am »

Eh, It would have been really cool back in 1996.  Headscratch

Now its kind of dated for a 2008 model.  Yeah its cheap, but you can probably find a left over YZF600R or even ZZR600 for around the same money and get MUCH more bike. And the lightly used VFR and such are in that range too.

I see it snagging the same customers the ol' Katana did.  Newbies who only look at the "crotch rocket" bodywork and don't do any comparison shopping.

Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 12:21:26 pm »

I agree that the concept may be "1996", but as the Super Bowl commercials and most of what's on TV right now shows, everything old is new again!  Lol

Seriously though, when I got into riding a couple of years ago, all I wanted was a mid-sized, mid-displacement ST bike, with enough power to cruise comfortably on the freeway - too much power would be wasted on a guy who rides like I do - and a bike with good wind protection that I could take on a couple of long trips each year without feeling like I got the sh*t kicked out of me at the end of a 400-500 mile ride.

In 2004, that bike more or less didn't exist. The Wee-Strom was close, and I went that direction, but what I originally envisioned was something more along the lines of the Honda Deauville (I know, I know, "Dull-ville" to most everyone in the U.S.)

The GSX650F still isn't quite the bike I'm looking for, but its the closest anyone has come yet here in the States. I'd rather it was just a  little lighter (hell, my Sportster is only 30lbs heavier wet then the GSX650F!)  But outside of that, and luggage options, it's damn close to what I originally had in mind.

Maybe when gas hits a consistent $4 a gallon, we might start to see more "commuter" type bikes in the U.S. Until then, the GSX650F will fit the bill competently.  Smile
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:23:11 pm by Nodaclu » Logged

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
Indy Raven YZF

Reputation 0

GPS: Greenwood, IN
Miles Typed: 250

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 07:48:48 pm »

I'm pissed this didn't come out last year.  Would have replaced the YZF600R perfectly, almost as much power but I could actually ride it without killing my wrists.  That's why I bought the Z750s, so this is just as good, but has a full fairing (even though it is down about 20 hp on the Z750, but that doesn't really bother me).

2006 Yamaha FZ-1
Cale_Kat

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 03 DL1000, 00 Katana (sold)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 293

My Photo Gallery

Bear Curse Cured

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 01:57:28 am »

There was a black one and a blue one on the local dealer's floor today. I talked with the owner about luggage options because I just can't see throwing soft sided luggage on a brand new bike. He hemmed and hawed about Givi stuff must fit, "The same stuff that fits the bandit will work, won't it?" he asked his senior salesman. They then proceeded to steer me towards a Bandit 1250. I don't get it? They talk about how the GSX650F isn't powerful enough for sport touring but I'm not buying that line. My dealer is trying to cultivate the GSX650F as a choice for MSF grads but I'll bet it would make a nice little sport tourer. They sound off with that "you're man enough for a Bandit 1250 crap" because it moves people into more expensive bikes. I like the smaller bikes.

It felt like a really comfy cockpit and the gauges are clean. The mirrors are a big improvement over those on the old Katana.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:00:38 am by Cale_Kat » Logged
Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:02:45 pm »

Got to sit on one today.

It's replaced the Ninja 650R as the most comfortable "small" bike I've ever at on. Even though it's heavier then the 650R, it didn't feel that way. Fairing was nice and wide like the V-Strom, but without all that damn height.

Seat feels ever so slightly higher then the Bandit, and the bars are just a little lower. Really gave it more of an ST feel, and to me felt like the exact midpoint between the SV650S, and the V-Strom.

Range looks good (225 miles to reserve is my best guesstimate) seat felt far better then the stock seat on my V-Strom did. Wind protection seemed excellent, gauge cluster had a shift indicator built in (can't remember the last time I saw that on a "budget" bike).

It really seemed like a bike I could spend all day on.

Lots of people are using 650R's, SV's, and DL650's as ST bikes, and power isn't a concern for any of them. The power to weight ratio on this bike is in the same ballpark, and should return mileage at or a little above 50mpg if you aren't constantly wringing the throttle.

Tell the sales droids they have it backwards, that you're *man* enough to ride the GSX650F, because it does 90% of what the Bandit does, for $1,300 less, with much better gas mileage and operating costs.

I also have concerns about luggage. If that gets sorted out positively, I believe this will be my next bike. It's close to everything I want in a mid-displacement commuter/sport-tourer at a reasonable price.

I hope they sell a bunch of these so they stick around a while. The black in particular is very striking.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
dankatz

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR, 2009 Monster (wife's)
GPS: Boston
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 08:49:27 pm »

Did anybody get a GSX650F? I wonder how it will compare to a different bike, the FZ6 that I am checking out.  I wish there were more reviews. Can anybody scan the article and email me?I need to subscribe to this rider magazine.  Coming from a Ninja 500, the 2007 FZ6 is:
smoother engine (i-4)
much much better brakes
Slightly taller seat and bike with a slightly more upright position
Better instrument, of course
transmission is accurate, but clutch friction zone small and requires getting used to
I have to be careful downshifting and breaking since it was easy to look the rear wheel

My other close contender is the GSX650F which I don't know if I'll be able to test ride.
I'd probably get a better price on the FZ6 as there are leftovers. Also, it has a center stand (one is available for the suzuki in Europe, but not in the US)
Dani
JGreb

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '08 FJR, '08 650R, '07 Super Duke
Miles Typed: 384

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 10:19:22 pm »

I was considering the GSX650, but got the Ninja 650R for my wife instead, and couldn't be happier with the decision. This new Liquid cooled 8 valve, fuel injected parallel twin on the Ninja and Versys 650 is one of the best motorcycle engines I have ever experienced.

I didn't really get a chance to look closely at the GSXF but I am happy with my choice for her because an inline 4 doesn't have the character of a twin and that is what I wanted. I am sure the Suzuki will be a great bike though.
November

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: DL650K7, '06 GS500F
Miles Typed: 446

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 10:41:35 am »

+1 Totally agree!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal