Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Anybody ride/own the new GSX650F?  (Read 114395 times)

Less

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Vulcan 800 Classic
GPS: West of Boston
Miles Typed: 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 12:06:45 am »

I still have my Vulcan in the garage for the winter, But as soon as we get a warm weekend day I'll fire it up, then I'll be able to really start looking.

Less

"Spring will be here soon"
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Dichotomous
Blue Bike Member #1

Reputation 9

Miles Typed: 685

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 10:29:34 am »

if its the ergos you are wondering about, remember that the bikes with handlebars can be easily swapped out for a different set that place you differently on the bike, and its harder to change the position with clipons (like the SV650s) but not THAT hard where if you liked everything else better and ergos were the one problem... well convertibars can give you ANY bar position you want, and you can change and adjust it anytime.

so go with the bike that has the power and handeling and fuel economy you want, look too.  THEN worry about ergos since they are too easy to change to suit.  I mean really, do you buy a car based on where the seat was when it was in the showroom?  no you adjust it back or forward.  why bike manufacturers dont figure this out.....?

Theres just something about a blue bike
GooseMan

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Los Angles, CA
Miles Typed: 742

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 11:52:54 am »

I got a very short test ride one evening of a used 2007 from a private person, but he was asking way too much. He did have frame sliders, touring windshield from Yamaha, and extended warranty for 3 years.  Compared to my bike, it was great, but anything would be...I think I would be happy with either bikes. I decided to go with the Yamaha because: 1)slightly better reputation 2) lighter and more maneuverable in the city 3)standard center stand 4)excellent FZ6-Forum.com while the GSX doesn't have one yet 5)GSX is fairly new and I am just a little worried that there maybe small glitches (I do know it is based on the Bandit 650S) 6)peer pressure  Headscratch What I like more on the GSX is the instrument panel with gear indicator, full fairing, and motor that is tuned more for low-mid range.
Anyway, I am sure either would make me very happy and I am still not sure I made the right choice. They still haven't located a bike for me. I'll post comments when I get it.
Dani

Cool cool. How did the clutch feel on the one you rode? I heard its a bit of a touchy clutch. Either way, between the GSX650F and the FZ6, I think the FZ is the better choice. I beleive the FZ-6 can accept the GIVI V35, which is their NICEST hardbags! (then again...so can the Suzuki Lol )

Advertisement

dankatz

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR, 2009 Monster (wife's)
GPS: Boston
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 12:50:27 pm »

The clutch had a very narrow engagement range which I think will take me some time to get used to. Otherwise, the transmission was fine.  It was a while since I rode it and it was a short ride - though, more than I would have gotten at a dealer around here.  These givi bags look nice...
Dani
08Cruiser
God said so, Thats why

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Suzuki GSX650F
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 06:45:41 am »

Hi to everyone here. New to the board. I wanted to post because I just bought a new GSX650F on monday. After reading through this thread, I dont know as much about other bikes as some of you do. But, I love this one. Its a balst to ride. Of course I am still in the breakin period. Cant go over 6K for 600 miles. I can wait though. I've had many bikes in the past, but all cruisers. With the exception of a 78 GS750. This bike has a lot of torque. And for a 6'1" 240 pound guy like me, it works great.

Some People are Just to Stupid to be Working on Their own Cars, and you cant fix Stupid.
JamesG
Home again!

Reputation -66

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Columbus, GA
Miles Typed: 4912

My Photo Gallery

vroom.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 07:31:43 am »

Katana syndrome strikes again... Crazy
dankatz

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 12:18:25 pm »

Congrats on your GSX650F - let me know how you are enjoying it. I ended up getting an FZ6 because most of my riding is in town and I thought it would be a better bike for that. So far I am very happy.
Dani
zc1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Alberta, Canada
Miles Typed: 71

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 12:53:24 pm »

They're both great bikes and will serve you well.  Enjoy!

Not all who wander are lost -- JRR Tolkien
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2008 Yamaha WR250R
gritsngravy

Reputation 4

Miles Typed: 1037

My Photo Gallery

Motors: BKing! - VFR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 02:44:59 am »

I like the idea of a large real world sized 650.  There are tons o' choices for the dainty Diva's on this board that prefer fly weight bikes but few normal sized machines for riders taller than 5'6".   Nice bike Suzuki.  
08Cruiser
God said so, Thats why

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 06:09:25 am »

Being a big guy, I was afraid of looking like a monkey humpin a football on a sport bike. I'm ~6'1" and 250. Not fat, but a big guy. But I love riding this bike. I only have around 150 miles on it so far so I'm far from getting it broke in before I can really ride it. But, I am very happy with it so far. Its been a little cold at 6:00am leaving work, but the 40+ MPG I'm getting vs the 15mpg my truck gets makes up for the little cold breeze.

Love the bike, the fit and ride is perfect. Bigok

Some People are Just to Stupid to be Working on Their own Cars, and you cant fix Stupid.
mancub

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: gsx650f, husqvarna tc450, suzuki rm125
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 12:31:30 pm »

Ok Iím new hear so bear with me.  This will be my first review.

Ok first a little background.  This is the first street bike I have owned, so I have no experience on some of the other bikes, like the SV, Bandit, FZ6 or Ninja650, save short test rides.
   However I do not consider myself a rookie, as Iím a motor officer and have been so for the last five years.  I ride every day at least 8 hours a day.  I started on the Kawasaki KZ1000 and then the RT1100.

Now first off I will concede that there are better sport touring bikes out there.  If you are looking for shear horse power this is not the bike for you.  But lets be honest,  I chase down and catch R1ís every day.  The R1, ZX10, GSXR1000.Ö.. Are great bikes and have enough hp to turn me into a little speck in there rearview mirror. But as everything it all depends on the rider.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest lets begin.  If you are looking for a good commuter, light sport touring bike this should be high on your list.

The pros:  
   FI excellent power delivery almost to the point that it feels like an electric motor vs. an internal combustion, it is butter smooth.
   Excellent torque for a I-4,650. The sweet spot for feathering the clutch on the slow speed stuff is easy to find.
   Horse power is also very good for what I like to do, mountain and county two lain.  I have no problem keeping up, if not leading, my friends on 1100 and 1300ís
   Hydraulic clutch has a good feel and does not fade with abuse.
   Seating comfort is good Iím 5í10Ē with a 31-32 inch inseam and I can stand flat footed on this bike.
   Exhaust I know Iím strange I like a quiet bike.  This bike is quiet and yes the muffler is a bit large but I really donít mind. An no Iím only in my early 30ís

Suspension  Iím 185, 210 with my gear.  Twistyís  are no problem, highways no problem when you set it up correctly.  City ridingÖjust a little harsh.Önot bad believe me the BMW, FJR and ST are more plush in the slow seed stuff but the GSX is not bad.

Wind protection is middle of the road.  This is not an open face helmet bike.  The wind protection is good but could be great if they ever make a taller or spoiler type windshield. Hint hint.

The Cons:
   The fact you have to remove the cowling to change the oil.

Front breaks good rear breaks little weak. Not bad hard to lock it up which is a good thing, suppose.  For that matter ABS would be a big plus.

Handel bars need to be about an inch taller and moved back about 1.5 inches, for my preference but it should be said that I have been on some 3 hour rides and never got a cramp in my back from the stock set up.  So yes it is comfortable but not my ideal seating position.  This is however easily fixed for about $100 with a 7/8 to 7/8 riser.

The lack of hard luggage.  It looks like the bike shares the bandits frame and rear body work so I think that the Suzuki luggage for the 1250gt will fit but I have not received a definite yes form any one as of yet.
   For some the weight may be an issue but I ride the big bikes all the time and like the weight of them, you have to ask yourself.  For a new rider do you want a little bit heavier bike or a light weight bike keeping in mind how much you get blown around when a tractor trailer passes you in the other direction at 65-70mph.  That right there can discourage a new rider more than a dropped the bike in the parking lot.
   Mirrors give a great view of your elbows and forearms but as for vehís directly behind you not so good.  You will have to move your arms every now and then to get a good view when coming to a red light.  
In conclusion Iím very impressed with this bike.  For the amount of money I spent and the overall package I really like it.  Yes I wish it was a 1000 or bigger but I have had no problems with the power as of yet.  I will say you better pay attention to your speed on this bike.  It is so smooth and comfortable on the hwy you can find yourself over the speed limit without even knowing it.

If I missed any thing let me know I will try and answer any questions people have just keep in mind that Iím not a tech.  I do not do any work on my bike save for emergency stuff.  

dankatz

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 05:50:45 pm »

Thanks for the review. When I was looking for a new bike I would have appreciated more reviews like that. I ended up going with an FZ6 which I crashed today. The bike had 150miles on it.  Sad I had my full gear as I always do and I walked away. i think the bike is totaled. Now, I am back to thinking about getting a new FZ6 vs. the GSX...I'll wait to see what the insurance company says.
Dani
08Cruiser
God said so, Thats why

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2008, 06:18:04 pm »

After riding around alot to today, I am still impressed with the bike. However, I think I will look into the riser for that bars. Just a little up would help the hands. Anybody have info on risers. Where to get, and how to's?

And, with 226 miles on the OD and my first re-fill at the pump. I got 42MPG. I was hopeing for better. Headscratch Maybe it will get better as it gets broke in.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:25:05 pm by 08Cruiser » Logged

dankatz

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 06:43:55 pm »

I am sure your fuel economy will improve as the mileage will increase. How is it in town and at slow speeds? Do you feel the weight around town? Dani
08Cruiser
God said so, Thats why

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 06:51:14 pm »

It feels fine to me. I was used to riding a Goldwing, so this thing feels pretty light. Maybe a smaller person would feel it more.

dankatz

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 09:18:35 am »

I came from a Ninja 500, so it was a "big" concern for me. Now, I have ridden the FZ6 for the past two weeks, so have a different baseline to compare to. I wish just someone would give me a test ride! I suppose I could wait until Laconia in NH in the hopes of testing a bike there...But, I don't want to remain bike less for so long.
Dani
GooseMan

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Los Angles, CA
Miles Typed: 742

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 11:23:41 pm »

Oh crap! You crashed the FZ-6? What happened?  Crazy Sad

I should finally be getting a ZZR in the next week or so. I almost decided to just keep my Bandit another year, but found a CRAZY deal on a semi-crashed ZZR ($500 in parts to get it 100% again), and I couldnt pass it up!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope ya get up and running again soon man!
mancub

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: gsx650f, husqvarna tc450, suzuki rm125
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 11:03:04 am »

After riding around alot to today, I am still impressed with the bike. However, I think I will look into the riser for that bars. Just a little up would help the hands. Anybody have info on risers. Where to get, and how to's?

hear are the ones i like.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2016/584/
dankatz

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »

Those look good.

I was riding on sat at about 30-35mph and this little old lady came out of a Trader Joes plaza and made a left turn.  She didn't see me and I crashed right into her. She received a citation. We are both OK. Her car also needed to be towed since I think I bent her driver's side front wheel.  Needless to say my bike did not look good....The appraiser came today. I am not sure yet if it is totaled or not.  I'll probably know in a couple of days. There is easily $3k damage if not more. I sort of hop that it is totaled at this point.
rauchman
Capt Ugachaka

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV1000S / 2013 Harley Davidson Switchback
GPS: Teaneck, NJ
Miles Typed: 612

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 08:33:39 am »

Ok Iím new hear so bear with me.  This will be my first review.

Ok first a little background.  This is the first street bike I have owned, so I have no experience on some of the other bikes, like the SV, Bandit, FZ6 or Ninja650, save short test rides.
   However I do not consider myself a rookie, as Iím a motor officer and have been so for the last five years.  I ride every day at least 8 hours a day.  I started on the Kawasaki KZ1000 and then the RT1100.

Now first off I will concede that there are better sport touring bikes out there.  If you are looking for shear horse power this is not the bike for you.  But lets be honest,  I chase down and catch R1ís every day.  The R1, ZX10, GSXR1000.Ö.. Are great bikes and have enough hp to turn me into a little speck in there rearview mirror. But as everything it all depends on the rider.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest lets begin.  If you are looking for a good commuter, light sport touring bike this should be high on your list.

The pros:  
   FI excellent power delivery almost to the point that it feels like an electric motor vs. an internal combustion, it is butter smooth.
   Excellent torque for a I-4,650. The sweet spot for feathering the clutch on the slow speed stuff is easy to find.
   Horse power is also very good for what I like to do, mountain and county two lain.  I have no problem keeping up, if not leading, my friends on 1100 and 1300ís
   Hydraulic clutch has a good feel and does not fade with abuse.
   Seating comfort is good Iím 5í10Ē with a 31-32 inch inseam and I can stand flat footed on this bike.
   Exhaust I know Iím strange I like a quiet bike.  This bike is quiet and yes the muffler is a bit large but I really donít mind. An no Iím only in my early 30ís

Suspension  Iím 185, 210 with my gear.  Twistyís  are no problem, highways no problem when you set it up correctly.  City ridingÖjust a little harsh.Önot bad believe me the BMW, FJR and ST are more plush in the slow seed stuff but the GSX is not bad.

Wind protection is middle of the road.  This is not an open face helmet bike.  The wind protection is good but could be great if they ever make a taller or spoiler type windshield. Hint hint.

The Cons:
   The fact you have to remove the cowling to change the oil.

Front breaks good rear breaks little weak. Not bad hard to lock it up which is a good thing, suppose.  For that matter ABS would be a big plus.

Handel bars need to be about an inch taller and moved back about 1.5 inches, for my preference but it should be said that I have been on some 3 hour rides and never got a cramp in my back from the stock set up.  So yes it is comfortable but not my ideal seating position.  This is however easily fixed for about $100 with a 7/8 to 7/8 riser.

The lack of hard luggage.  It looks like the bike shares the bandits frame and rear body work so I think that the Suzuki luggage for the 1250gt will fit but I have not received a definite yes form any one as of yet.
   For some the weight may be an issue but I ride the big bikes all the time and like the weight of them, you have to ask yourself.  For a new rider do you want a little bit heavier bike or a light weight bike keeping in mind how much you get blown around when a tractor trailer passes you in the other direction at 65-70mph.  That right there can discourage a new rider more than a dropped the bike in the parking lot.
   Mirrors give a great view of your elbows and forearms but as for vehís directly behind you not so good.  You will have to move your arms every now and then to get a good view when coming to a red light.  
In conclusion Iím very impressed with this bike.  For the amount of money I spent and the overall package I really like it.  Yes I wish it was a 1000 or bigger but I have had no problems with the power as of yet.  I will say you better pay attention to your speed on this bike.  It is so smooth and comfortable on the hwy you can find yourself over the speed limit without even knowing it.

If I missed any thing let me know I will try and answer any questions people have just keep in mind that Iím not a tech.  I do not do any work on my bike save for emergency stuff.  

Cool to see someone with this bike.  Since you ride big bikes already, can I ask why you didn't go for the Bandit 1250?  My understanding is that weight wise both the GSX650 and the B1250 are roughly the same weight.  I'm thinking about getting a new ride this spring and the 1250 is high on my list.  I had/started on a SV650S, that at the time, wished it had more hp.  On reflection, it was a terrific ride.  I can understand getting a little less ooomph in a bike, so one can really ring it out on the street.  Can also understand wanting more torque/hp, since...well, it's a hell of a lot of fun too.

Don't pee into the wind!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal