Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: maint costs  (Read 11138 times)

atypical1

« on: March 07, 2008, 05:42:45 pm »

Yeah, this is a generic question but what are the service intervals and costs for services for Aprilia's? I do two services a year on the Duc. 6k runs around $500 and the 12k runs $1k. Are your costs on par or cheaper than that?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:45:14 pm »

Yo.

I just had the 6K service done (well, about a month ago).  $251.94 with tax and tip.   Thumbsup

Can't tell you about the 12K service until about October.  Wink

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Sign Guy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Aprilia Futura
Miles Typed: 71

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:49:48 pm »

You should see a VERY big drop in your maint. costs. I do everything up to checking the valves on mine (easy if you have any mechanical aptitude). My total money spent for at an Aprilia dealer for bench time is $375.00. The bike just clicked over 26K. Even if you take it in for every oil change you'll still have lots of extra coin for consumables. You can get anything you need from AF1 Racing.

02 Rosso Flame Aprilia Futura
Newnan, GA
Advertisement

atypical1

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:35:14 pm »

Thumbsup
miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:37:17 pm »

James, are you thinking about a Tuono?  Decided that fairings might be overrated?

Three points where two lines meet
atypical1

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:46:03 pm »

We will see. With a baby on the way I need something that costs me less than the Duc does for upkeep. I do love me a Tuono  Inlove

But I like the Speed Triple too. But, I gotta sell the Multi first so no real rush.
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

Aaack!  Parenthood setting in!  

atypical1

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:02:38 pm »

Yeah  EEK!

But, it's not like I am giving up riding or anything crazy like that!
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:03:56 pm »

Nor should you.  You'll definitely need some outlet once the kid comes along.

miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 09:07:14 pm »

We will see. With a baby on the way I need something that costs me less than the Duc does for upkeep. I do love me a Tuono  Inlove

But I like the Speed Triple too. But, I gotta sell the Multi first so no real rush.

You could trade your Multi for an FZ6...  that'd have lower maintenance costs.  Just a thought that popped into my head, that's all.

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 12:17:44 am »

Yo, James, something to consider if you buy a Tuono is to have the dealer throw in the first service with the cost of the bike.

When I bought my Tuono, Moto International here in Seattle included the first service (it's only about $150, but even so) and a suspension setup session with their Aprilia whiz.

Nice thing about that is that for the first 6,000 miles you really don't have any costs but tires.   Thumbsup

Unless you stick a nail in your OEM Metzeler Rennsport rear about two weeks into ownership.  That was an unfortunate twist of fate that contributed to my status as a small, bitter man.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Innocent Criminal

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: FZ6
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 12:27:44 am »

You could trade your Multi for an FZ6...  that'd have lower maintenance costs.  Just a thought that popped into my head, that's all.

Hey, somewhat new parent (2yo and 2month old) as well as new Aprilia owner (falco).  Don't sell any bike until you have the next one because life will be so hectic you may end up bikeless and you will need a bike for stress relief.  Trust me.

As was mentioned the FZ6 is a good bike, being quick and economical, and very low maint.  The valves go over 20k between checks.

I also happen to have one for sale.  The FZ6 is the perfect bike for me in every way, except that it isn't a bike that I lust after.  I just never connected with it and didn't want to sit in the garage and enjoy a post ride beer while staring at it.

Good luck with the baby and your search for the next bike.   Smile
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 12:41:06 am »

...The FZ6 is the perfect bike for me in every way, except that it isn't a bike that I lust after.  I just never connected with it and didn't want to sit in the garage and enjoy a post ride beer while staring at it.

Man, those are honest and perceptive words.  That's really it, isn't it?  Any bike that I buy and ride has to be a bike I take a backward lustful glance at as I walk through the door at the office.

atypical1

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 12:58:41 am »

That's the thing. I really love the Multi. It handles like it is on rails and it always brings a smile to my face. I don't get that from any of the Japanese offerings...thus, Aprilia.

james
thatguy
banned everywhere

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: a few
GPS: Aintree
Miles Typed: 4076

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 10:56:36 am »

My '04 Tuono has 52K on it.I do all my own maintenance and haven't spent any $$$ out of ordinary maintenance costs.Haven't spent a dime on shims yet.Oil/filter every 4K with synthetic.Lemme see here.............plugs every 10K,tires 4-9K depending,chain #1 @ 14K-#2 @ 27K and still going (soon),upgraded battery @37K,brake pads @40K 'cause I wanted to try out something different.That's about it other than unnecessary items I added.I've adjusted/lubed things along the way when time allows and it has sat for the past couple weeks while other things got in the way of fixing a cam cover leak(you are supposed to replace the gaskets every time but these are the originals  EEK!   ) and clean up some winter details.I'll go out and start it up and maybe ride it a bit today or tomorrow just 'cause.All in all the best bike I've ever owned and that's not a short list.

"Speak when you are spoken to,but don't pretend you are right.............."
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 11:24:09 pm »

I'll put my .02 in. I just had a major service done on my 03 Tuono, cost about $850. But, a lot of work was done- Oil/filter w/ Motul 300V, new rocker cover gaskets, valves adjusted, (2 intake valves were actually out of adjustment) 4 new spark plugs, O2/idle adjusted and a new drive chain. It would have been about $100-150 less, but since they did adjust 2 valves, the cams had to come out.
The flip side is I am still in love with the bike after owning it for 12 months. I also have a little one, she just turned three. Keep your bike. I only get to ride a few times every week, but it keeps me sane.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/SolarSRT4/IMG_0338.jpg

01 VFR- ftw
03 Aprilia Tuono- sold
02 DR650- see above 08 Versys- gonzo
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:41 pm »

I do two services a year on the Duc. 6k runs around $500 and the 12k runs $1k.

I'm guessing it's a dealership that's charging you those crazy prices?  Ask around if anyone knows of a good indie shop in your area.  The dood I go to in Signal Hill is half the price of the dealers, with much better work. I pay $700 for a service that the dealers want $1200. This is for my St4s (4V, liquid cooled). Air cooled 2 valve would be a lot less.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
atypical1

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 11:38:40 am »

Those are dealer costs. I take my bike to GP who does outstanding work not just on my bike but also provide me support when something big goes wrong with the bike and I need Ducati help. For example, when I was at Pahrump for Star Motorcycle School the nut for the flywheel managed to come off. This messed with my timing causing lots of internal damage (intake and exhaust valves were bent). The bike is out of warranty but as I am a good customer they went to bat for me and got Ducati to pay for the repair. I am not sure I would have gotten that service had I used an independent shop. I just had my warped gas tank repaired under warranty too. So, I am shaky about going to an independent shop yet.
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 11:44:58 am »

+1 on GP.  Everybody I know who uses them is very happy about their customer service, and as a result willing to pay the higher price they charge.  Sometimes it's just worth it.

OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

I just had my warped gas tank repaired under warranty too

Pinched fuel tank vent?

01 VFR- ftw
03 Aprilia Tuono- sold
02 DR650- see above 08 Versys- gonzo
atypical1

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 07:14:43 pm »

Pinched fuel tank vent?

No, the tank warped for some other reason. There is speculation that it has to do with the gas formula here in the 'States but I don't know that for sure. The tank is plastic.
BizJetGuy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 Aprilia RST 1000
GPS: Raleigh, NC
Miles Typed: 202

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 09:36:11 am »

No, the tank warped for some other reason. There is speculation that it has to do with the gas formula here in the 'States but I don't know that for sure. The tank is plastic.

What color is the tank?  There is a theory that dark, plastic tanks don't handle direct sunlight and hot environs as well as their more reflective brethren.

Billy Ray can't rope worth shit
atypical1

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 10:24:22 am »

Red. Thing's only two years old though and lives in a garage.
BizJetGuy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 Aprilia RST 1000
GPS: Raleigh, NC
Miles Typed: 202

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 10:58:13 am »

Red. Thing's only two years old though and lives in a garage.

Gotcha...

Several Futura's have had a similar issue and a common thread seems to be the black or blue models that have most of the tank warpage.

Sorry to continue the thread jack.

Billy Ray can't rope worth shit
ksann
Super Moderator

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: R12ST
GPS: 49 hours from Jacksonville
Miles Typed: 8389

My Photo Gallery

You are missed my friend. RIP

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 10:59:32 am »

James, Rebel 250. Lower your costs, and you would look great on it.

ken

Proud, & Pretty, father of the worlds most beautiful little girl. The bestest one!
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 11:01:11 am »

James, Rebel 250. Lower your costs, and you would look great like a circus bear on it.

ken

Fixed that for you.

atypical1

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 11:29:37 am »

James, Rebel 250. Lower your costs, and you would look great on it.

ken

Yeah, I'll get one when you do.... Twofinger
ktmmiker
"Motorcycle jones."

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Aprilia Futura, Triumph T100 Bonne, Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
GPS: NH, USA Home of the frost heave.
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 10:37:25 am »

Aprilia's with the Rotax vtwin are among the cheapest performance  bikes to maintain of any, never mind Italian bikes.  Plus, they don't break. Thumbsup
Unless their revved hard ala Mille , Tuono, Falco, Valve check isn't even spec'ed by dealer until 12k and as has been posted, many don't ever seem to need adjusting.

Now the new Aprilia built motors, that seems a different story. EEK!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal