Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Conversion on a Suzuki Strom DL1000  (Read 15498 times)

stroming_bob

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2006, 06:56:28 am »

I just purchased a Suzuki Strom and I will be looking to do a few things with it. One is a 520 chain conversion and play with the gear ratios a bit. The other is changing out the seat. The third is changing the 19" front wheel. And maybe going with a different fork setup. Does anyone have any ideas where to start on these items.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:27:44 am »

Unless you got it for a steal, have money to burn, and just want a project, sounds like you bought the wrong bike.

What's wrong with the 19" wheel and forks? Do you want a more dirt-worthy setup or a more street-worthy setup?

I totally don't get the desire for a 520 chain conversion. What's the point?

I put a gel seat on my 650, mostly for the added height (now same height as a stock 1K seat), but the gel padding seems to be an improvement over the stock Suzuki padding. Price is right ($140).

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 09:07:19 am »

Why didn't you just buy an SV? Lol

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Advertisement

OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 09:12:36 am »

Speaking only for myself, if the SV1000N was still available, I'd have one in my garage. What a wonderful machine. Drool

01 VFR- ftw
03 Aprilia Tuono- sold
02 DR650- see above 08 Versys- gonzo
stroming_bob

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:04:29 am »

I am looking for a more street version. I just bought an 05 for 4K. I think I would like the tire selection. I know I would like the stainless steel brake lines.
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:32:31 am »

There are actually some really good ST tires available for our Stroms. Michelin makes Pilot Roads in OE size. There are many other choices. I know of at least one Strom rider who did a track day on Trailwings.

Edit- link added

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181496
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:41:39 am by OnlyVees » Logged

01 VFR- ftw
03 Aprilia Tuono- sold
02 DR650- see above 08 Versys- gonzo
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 10:36:11 am »

It appears you can get Bridgestone BT-020 and Michelin Pilot Roads in a 19" front. Those are both popular sport-touring tires (neither a fave of mine though). I sure stainless brake lines are available for the Stroms from someone like Galfer, but can't say I've ever researched it.

You might have to lower the rear to account for a lower front if you do manage to get a 17" wheel to fit. I have no idea if the SV1K stuff would bolt right on or not, but that'd be my first inquiry.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
tumbler
Science Nerd

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 09' FZ-6, 09' DRZ400S
GPS: Central Indiana
Miles Typed: 277

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 10:54:17 am »

Quote from: OnlyVees;2670
There are actually some really good ST tires available for our Stroms. Michelin makes Pilot Roads in OE size. There are many other choices. I know of at least one Strom rider who did a track day on Trailwings.

I did that same thing this summer, I don't reccommend it. My tires looked like some stuck black gumballs all over them.

I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I cheat real good.
MrMac
Vstrom DL650

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 12:37:20 pm »

Seems the consensus on some of the Strom forums is that the Tourances are as good on the road as any street tire and last just as long if not longer. I have a rear T on my 650 and have been plenty satisfied. YMMV
Baz

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9065

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 09:22:06 pm »

Quote from: stroming_bob;2463
I just purchased a Suzuki Strom and I will be looking to do a few things with it. One is a 520 chain conversion and play with the gear ratios a bit. The other is changing out the seat. The third is changing the 19" front wheel. And maybe going with a different fork setup. Does anyone have any ideas where to start on these items.

1st of all...Chain. I take it the Strom comes with a 530? I would NOT recomend going to a 520, and here is why. I own a modified 2002 Bandit 1200, and when I replaced the chain last, I went with a rather cheap chain (which was rated for the Bandit) Well to make a long story short, the Bandit ate that chain in 10,000 km. As the strom has identicle torque ratings as a stock bandit, I am afraid you would be eating chains like they were going out of style. Unless you plan on living on the track, I see no advantage to going to a lighter chain.

Gearing...well, I have never been happy with any bike variating from stock. (They pick the ratio's that way for a reason). Yes, you will end up with more bottom end, but it also increases vibrations, and will screw with spedometer accuracy. Going taller in gearing will make things nice on the highway but kill city riding fun.

Front forks. Yes, any Suzuki could use better suspension. Springs & Valves do wonders, and you may as well add an aftermarket rear shock.

Front wheel? Why?
GetFuzzy

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 200

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 10:04:24 pm »

For the 17" wheel conversion check out V-Strom Forum - powered by Tex Arts
but you can get excellent rubber for the stock wheel. The strom has a 525 chain stock and you can get a 520 chain that will meet or exceed the stock specs. You will save on weight and will probably get better response but you already have lots of torque. The 520 conversion is better suited for the 650. It seems that most people find that upgrading the suspension is the most worthwhile. Of course ymmv.
MuddDawg
Hooligan in training

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2000 VFR 800,2007 KTM 450 XCW,2008 KLX 140L (Son's)2002 XR100R (Daughter"s)
GPS: Western Wa
Miles Typed: 813

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 10:38:18 pm »

Quote from: stromgal;2569
Why didn't you just buy an SV? Lol

Then his screen name would have to be SVing Bob.. Stroming Bob sounds better.Beerchug

stroming_bob

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 06:29:56 am »

Mine guess is that the 19" wheel will be last on the list. I will be upgrading the windscreen tires  chain and going with a DL650 seat. The chain is not in good shape I come mostly shaft drives but I starting to like chains better cause of low cost and easier changablity. I think I will try to changing the spring setup plus folk oil upgrade first. I really like the big gas tank on DL650 and 87 octane
Dichotomous
Blue Bike Member #1

Reputation 9

Miles Typed: 685

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 11:19:58 am »

convert to belt instead of chain, yes it can be done.  sounds like what you wanted was an SV1000T (touring) which was never made but there are many SV650T's built out there.  but, you got the bike already and it shouldnt be too tough to mod to get it where you want it.  I still dont get going to a lighter chain.... would only help initial torque response cause once it gets moving it wont matter at all.  and the dl1000 has more torque than it ever needs.  you might want to throw an R1/R6 throttle tube on there as well cause they bring down the turn from 1/4 to 1/5th, or at least they do on the SV's so i would imagine it still would work.

Theres just something about a blue bike
Req
Beautiful and Unique Snowflake

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 2004 Suzuki VStrom 1000
Miles Typed: 2546

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 06:04:06 pm »

careful of the windscreen upgrades.  I just set my screen to the lowest setting and accepted a tiny bit of wind buffet.  MOst of the aftermarket ones are HUGE and you have to look through them rather than over them, and that angers my sportbiker side.  Plus the big sail effect of the full-sized screen sucks.

I have Conti RoadAttack! street-only tires on my (stock) Strom 1000 and they work quite nicely.  Huge step up from the deathwings (which dumped me on the freeway, so they HAD to go).

Always two sprockets short of a threesome.
GetFuzzy

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 200

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 07:04:55 pm »

For the buffeting cure get a Madstad bracket and use it with whatever screen you've got (even stock,will improve things a lot). Allows air flow adjustment, when it gets hot lower the screen for more air, up for more protection when it gets cool.
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: FJR1300, KTM 990 Adventure, Triumph Sprint ST, Honda CRF450X, Suzuki DRZ400S
Miles Typed: 306

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 05:45:06 pm »

The gearing on my DL1K is 16/43....much more usable overall than the stock 17/41, and also the benefit of very controllable wheelies under power from about 2700rpm in first gear. Smile

I have a Laminar Lip Touring model extension, as well as a Windstrom. I haven't tried the Windstrom yet, but the Lam Lip really quiets things down very well w/o much additional in the view (at 6'0" then I look right over the top, not through)...not certain what position the windscreen is in, though.

Michelin Anakee is a very good tire, imo...it grips well, doesn't get too out of shape in the crud, and reportedly gets very good mileage...I'm sure that last is reported by people who aren't pulling the front up much, or listening to that great v-twin song at higher rpms.

Steel brake lines, yep yep....must-have for the big strom, just like on a KLR.

I've got a corbin seat...it's nice, but the previous owner had a slightly larger butt than I do, so there's some extra room there. I do have the stocker, but haven't tried it yet.

Handlebars.....mine has bar riser/backs. They are nice, and if it weren't for a bit too much rake at the end of the stock handlebars, then things would stay as they are. I've noticed that people like the Pro Taper ATV High Bend bars quite a bit, but they need a bit cut off each end to avoid colliding with the front at full steering lock....I'm going to give these a shot.

I'm planning to put a new rear shock in, as well as gold valves in the front. That should tighten up the front steering as well as handle a full load.

It's a good bike, and I'm looking forward to a lot of miles on it.....tossup between the DL1K or the KLR to Ushuaia next year, but I have a feeling the DL1k is going to win.

Good luck with yours, be sure to post back about how the mods are coming along!
andmoon

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 353

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 04:00:16 pm »

I thought there still were some new 03 Ns available.
ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 776

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:15 am »

I owned a V-Strom for over two years.  A very good bike, but it just didn't do it for me.

To make a very long story short, an SV650 wheel is a direct bolt-on.  However, you will then have to do something with the front fender.  Good luck!  Lol

I can tell you the Strom, with its 19-inch wheel, will blast up rough roads like no bike with a 17-inch.

Not sure why you'd want to change the gearing.  6th is tall, but I never used it unless I was cruising at 80 MPH or more.

Anyway, maybe you'd have been happier with the '07 Triumph Tiger?
stroming_bob

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 07:28:41 am »

Quote from: ChrisBandit;15175
I owned a V-Strom for over two years.  A very good bike, but it just didn't do it for me.

To make a very long story short, an SV650 wheel is a direct bolt-on.  However, you will then have to do something with the front fender.  Good luck!  Lol

I can tell you the Strom, with its 19-inch wheel, will blast up rough roads like no bike with a 17-inch.

Not sure why you'd want to change the gearing.  6th is tall, but I never used it unless I was cruising at 80 MPH or more.

Anyway, maybe you'd have been happier with the '07 Triumph Tiger?

May be I will be happier with a tiger if they sold for them for 4K and had a larger gas tank.
Rode the Strom to work this week I live in Northern Va. ride in at about 5:30 am. So it's about 20 degrees out ( I have heated gloves and heated vest).  I agree with almost all the stuff here I think my next upgrades are going to be progressive rate springs in the front. I am going to let the wheels and tires be from a few more weeks.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal