Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: FJR-1300 WINDSHIELD MODIFICATION QUESTION  (Read 15406 times)

motorcyclelarry

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST-1300, BMW 1200 GSA, BMR R 800 GS, NT-700
GPS: SIMI VALLEY CA
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:41 pm »

I have a 2007 FJR and an ST-1300.  The windshield on the ST is not at a steep angle as the FJR so when you buy a tall screen you get more height.  Due to the angle of the FJR you don't gain as much in height when you increase say 4 inches in height.  I am 6'4" and would like to get out of the wind on my FJR as I have some long trips planned this summer.

If when I am driving I push the screen ahead just even 3/4" with my hand the wind flow stops.  My idea is to make some arm extenders for the upper arms that will push the windshield forward enough to raise it and decreases some of the wind from hitting the driver.  Without cutting the shield you are held to how far you can push it forward due to the mirrors hitting in the downward position.

Question is has anyone seen something like this already?

Thanks
Larry

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

jwhite518

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 05 FJR1300, 96 BMW R1100RS
GPS: SF Bay Area
Miles Typed: 4644

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:50:32 pm »

You might want to check over at fjrforum.com.

IBA #386
jude
Refried Confusion

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Miles Typed: 2119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:38:10 pm »

You might want to check over at fjrforum.com.

*snerk*
Advertisement

drjfjr
FJR Rider

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2004 FJR1300; 2002 SV650
GPS: Louisville, Ky
Miles Typed: 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:40:10 pm »

Rifle supplies a tuning block with their windscreens and someone may let you borrow one to try. I tied it on my stock 04 windscreeen and liked it better without. I have also an currently am using a Ceebaileys 4+3 flip. When raised it creates quite a pocket. I plan to go back to the stock screen for summer though. I have grown to like the stock windscreen lowered position during the summer and the Ceebaileys to cut the wind in the winter.
Baz

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9033

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:21 pm »

Most will say that tuning blocks are not required on the 06-08 FJR.

I am 5'11" and just purchased a C baily 4" tall & 1" wders than stock screen. Leaves you with quite a dead space. I only have to place the shield half way up to geat clean air. I would think you should be fine with this of a +6" screen.

They do look hideous though, but work well.

Ric in Sac

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 Yamaha FJR; 2002 Triumph T-Bird
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:13:24 pm »

Skyway at the FJR forum makes a spacer that accomplishes what you are asking for.  It changes the angle of the shield to increase its effectiveness.  I don't have them because I am only 5-8 and the stock shield works pretty good for me.  
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:59:55 am »

The Laminar Lip comes to mind,

http://www.laminarlip.com/fjr13.php

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Baz

Reputation 22

Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9033

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 02:19:47 am »

I actually just abandoned the Laminar lip for the Cee-Baily. At 5'11" & the seat in the high position, I was getting buffeting with the Laminar lip. If I was 6'4", it would have been much worse.

Here are some photo's

Stock screen with Laminar lip (I found the laminar lip annoying to look through & hard to clean)

Now the Cee-Baily +4"H & +1"W screen

Now here is a comparison of the stock screen versus the Cee Baily +4H & +1W

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:52:03 am by Baz » Logged
cjgauthier

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '05 FJR1300 '84 V30 Magna
GPS: Hudson, NH
Miles Typed: 1692

My Photo Gallery

Now available in Hi-Viz Yellow

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:41:34 pm »

At 5'8" Cee Baileys +2 x +2 with flip is good in the cold , too warm in summer.

Motorcycling is the non-narcotic cure for ADD.
Stray Cat

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2001 "Damn Sexy" Honda CBR1100XX
GPS: Isle of Cat, Pugetopolis
Miles Typed: 2570

My Photo Gallery

Weeeeeee!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 11:04:52 pm »

I'm about 6' 3". I had the Cee Baileys +2 with the flip, and it helped slightly. I also had the Laminar on the stock screen. Not effective at all. In the end the buffeting was a factor in my desicion to sell the bike (among other things not bike related). I've heard the Cal Sci might be a good solution, but I don't have any first hand experience.
I think that the issue is the screen is to far forward. Getting the top of it back towards the rider would make a huge difference. If I moved my head forward and down a little the buffeting went away. The arm mod tries to acomplish this by pushing the bottom of the screen out and the top in. You can do the same with a spacer or some washers. It will hit the fairing if you go to far though and IMO you need to go farther then what the fairing will allow.

BTW I had your risers and fork brace on my FJR. I was the one that pointed out the issue with the ABS block contacting the brace and thought that you did a great job resolving the problem.
Huron52
I wanna ride

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2004 FJR1300, 2008 WR250R
GPS: Left Coast of Ontario....
Miles Typed: 742

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 02:27:12 am »

Skyway at the FJR forum makes a spacer that accomplishes what you are asking for.  It changes the angle of the shield to increase its effectiveness.  I don't have them because I am only 5-8 and the stock shield works pretty good for me.  

Oh don't get me started on that vendor Crazy

I guess that maybe you haven't read the fuel cell buy thread over there?
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 09:27:02 am »

Oh don't get me started on that vendor Crazy

I guess that maybe you haven't read the fuel cell buy thread over there?

That's why I didn't mention the spacers even though I like mine.

I think, though, it's fair to get started on him now.  But I'll let you guys who were in on that deal tell your tale.

Back to the original post -- there is a guy on fjrforum who has been working on a paralever type deal for the windshield bracket.  Don't know how well it's coming along.  And on his gen 1 bike, Tom Barber moved the hole in the lower bracket back to change the angle of the shield and was pretty pleased with the result.  I think that's documented at fjrtech.com

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
Pappy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 FJR1300
GPS: Collierville, TN
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 06:34:28 pm »

Keep in-mind that Skyway has stolen something like TEN THOUSAND dollars in deposits from users on the FJR forum. I wouldn't spend a dime on anything he sells.

Pappy

2013 BMW R1200RT 90th  Anniversary Edition (a.k.a. the Batcycle)
ratbagg
crate builder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 11:25:04 am »

Keep in-mind that Skyway has stolen something like TEN THOUSAND dollars in deposits from users on the FJR forum. I wouldn't spend a dime on anything he sells.

Was he banned from the forum or does Skyway still retain the Ignacio/FJRforum certified stamp of approval?
FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1753

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

where did you get this information?

I've ordered from him before and he sent what I ordered.  Mostly he is waaaaaaay back-logged on work.
Mike-H

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: KTM 530 EXC, YAMAHA XT250, HONDA CB1100F, DUCATI 900SS FE, YAMAHA FJR 1300
GPS: Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 3304

My Photo Gallery

Aspiring back to a dirt donk

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 05:02:06 pm »

where did you get this information?

I've ordered from him before and he sent what I ordered.  Mostly he is waaaaaaay back-logged on work.

Before you start yappin go check the threads on the other forum....keeping the crap off this one....

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
AaronSS

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW G 310R, Honda Africa Twin
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 06:50:10 am »

Here you have designed for FJR 1300 windscreens. Good price, high quality, I hace experience with this site already and I can recommend it.
https://www.motorcyclescreens.eu/615-motorcycle-windscreen-windshield-yamaha-fjr-1300
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal