Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 156333 times)

stefrrr

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 10:19:04 am »

I'm glad that there are more women's options but I have found that the sizing is usually way off.

I am a plus size woman and even though I find some women's gear in my size (18) it does not fit. I tried on a size 18 jacket once and couldn't zip it over my chest. That was a nice kick to the stomach.  Embarassment

Have you tried Tourmaster stuff? Also, the Olympia jacket is sized large.  Thumbsup
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

BarbRN

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2004 Yamaha FZ1
Miles Typed: 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 06:21:42 pm »

International Female Ride Day, first Friday in May (May 2 this year)

http://www.motoress.com/femalerideday2008.asp

Cool, never heard of this until now.  I will definitely try to ride to work that day.
Mrs.BMW-K

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 F650GS
GPS: SoCal
Miles Typed: 210

My Photo Gallery

Balancing flawed certainties with perfect unknowns

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 11:49:15 pm »

I just picked up a First Gear Jacket, and I'm happy to say it actually fits... the sleeves are the right length, and the elbow armor actually fits on my elbows!  At 5'4", it's been a challenge to find sleeves that don't reach past my finger tips.  It's the TPG, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Riding is a visceral experience; each mile brushes across you physically and imprints itself on you.
--~0
-_ /-_ (*)>(*)            (image credit to nwscubamom @ ADV)
Advertisement

katego

Reputation 2

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW R1150GS
GPS: Rat City
Miles Typed: 1019

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 01:07:30 am »

I am on my 2nd first gear jacket. It actually does fit. It also fits to zip on to my men's-size first gear pants, though those will be too big when it is time to take the winter liner out.

-k

Squaring off tires and tipping over bikes since 2005

Riding more is better. It makes you happier especially when it is dark and the weather is just atrocious. - Mr. Subjective (January 2007)
Mrs.BMW-K

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 11:55:11 pm »

Okay Ladies... I have a question for you.  Do you find that you ride worse on the day or so before your period, and on the first day or two of your period?  I didn't make the connection at first... just thought I was having a really bad day, but then it happened a couple more times, and each time it was on those days for me.  Anyone else have the same experience?  

Riding is a visceral experience; each mile brushes across you physically and imprints itself on you.
--~0
Stargzrgrl
Sticker Fiend aka HelloBorgieStar

Reputation 29

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '07 BMW F800ST, '77 Honda CB550F Super Sport, '08 Yamaha XT 250
GPS: Back in the mundane
Miles Typed: 2069

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 12:17:59 am »

Okay Ladies... I have a question for you.  Do you find that you ride worse on the day or so before your period, and on the first day or two of your period?  I didn't make the connection at first... just thought I was having a really bad day, but then it happened a couple more times, and each time it was on those days for me.  Anyone else have the same experience?  

Oh, I'm an emotional wreck the day before my period.  I shouldn't be anywhere near anyone unless they want to have their heads ripped off.  Crazy  If I'm on the bike the day before my period I find riding exhausting and can not focus.  So, I tend to know it's time to park it.  

I try not to ride the first day of my period as it's really uncomfortable for me if not distracting.  I have to make more bathroom breaks and dealing with that kind of takes away the joy I get about being on the road as I'm thinking more about what's going on down below than the ride.  

And if I'm crampy all bets are off, I'm staying in being a hermit.

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 01:15:53 am »

OK, since someone else mentioned periods...I decided to try a Diva cup instead of lugging around a metric ton of tampons this summer.  Anyone use one?  Anything I should watch out for?  Headscratch

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15149

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

This ought to keep the boys out!  Lol

Trina - I've never noticed any difference when riding for different times of the month, but then again, I rarely notice those times anyway (yes, I know how lucky I am)

And Carolyn - I don't even know what you're talking about!  Crazy

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Stargzrgrl

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 01:26:40 am »

Ok, I googled Diva Cup:

http://www.divacup.com/

Stargzrgrl

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 01:33:57 am »

Well, I think I'm sold.  

From their website:

Will The DivaCupô work for an active lifestyle?

Yes! It's fantastic for swimmers, outdoor enthusiasts, aerobic classes, cycling, travelers, campers, and so on. You will feel fresh, secure, and liberated. No feminine hygiene products to pack (or run out of). No worries about staying close to a bathroom. No restrictions on physical activity. And since you can wear The DivaCupô longer than tampons or pads you have the convenience of not having to think about your period all day long!

Now all I need is to find a remedy for the sometimes blinding cramps I get that won't put me to sleep.  Crazy

Stargzrgrl

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

Are all the women on this forum in, ahem, synchronicity?

Egads!  I hope not otherwise STN may implode!  Lol

LicketySplat
Not the droid you're looking for

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 YZF600R, '05 SV650S
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 07:36:43 am »

I'm at the age when I'm moving beyond this stuff...

but 1. yeah, not every month, but definitely my cycles have affected my ability to ride. That can happen directly (hormonal influence on emotions) or indirectly (worse allergies or lack of sleep making me fuzzy).

and 2. yes, I use(d) a Diva cup and would recommend it. There's a little bit of a learning curve, so I wouldn't recommend getting one right before a long trip. Also, if you have heavy periods and expect to have to empty the thing in public restrooms, evaluate your own level of squeamishness, and be aware that it's much easier with a little preparation before you go into the stall.

Hold my beer and watch this.
Mrs.BMW-K

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 11:35:22 am »

Ladies... I love you guys!  If this doesn't scare the guys off... nothing will  Lol

Yosh...  my sister... thanks for the affirmation...  the lack of focus, the discomfort, the bathroom breaks... ugh!

Poof... Diva Cup??  You'll have to tell me how it works for you.  Do you have to order those, or can you get them at the local pharmacy?  I'm completely fascinated by the concept.

Dante... ah yes... I remember the days of care free periods...  the good old days!  It was a breeze until about 4 years ago... not anymore!  But, I guess I should just be glad I still have them.

Lickety... I do have heavy periods, but I'm not squeamish... just what sort of prep are we talking... a mop and bucket???

--~0
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 11:56:41 am »

Poof... Diva Cup??  You'll have to tell me how it works for you.  Do you have to order those, or can you get them at the local pharmacy?  I'm completely fascinated by the concept.

I got mine at Whole Foods, in the cosmetics/bath stuff/lotions section.  They also have unbleached tampons, cloth pads, etc.

(TMI BELOW)

I'm actually giving it a shot right now, so I could test it out in my cycle before the long bike trip.  It's great so far!  WAY more comfortable than tampons, even just on my 14-mile-each-way commute.  

You only need to change it twice a day and, since it doesn't absorb anything or chafe, you can put it in ahead of time so you don't get that "is that it? what about now? ack!" thought 15 times a day on the first day. Lol

I think it's going to work out great for long distance riding.  It would even work for backcountry camping -- no used materials to pack back out! Though you would need bottled/potable water to rinse the cup out.

I stumbled upon this LiveJournal community when I was researching it, and it's really helpful.   Thumbsup

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 12:43:17 pm »

I just picked up a First Gear Jacket, and I'm happy to say it actually fits... the sleeves are the right length, and the elbow armor actually fits on my elbows!  At 5'4", it's been a challenge to find sleeves that don't reach past my finger tips.  It's the TPG, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I just bought and I'm returning the pants for that jacket.  I donít understand why so many ladies pants are so tight at the bottom, who wants tapered pants for motorcycle riding, they should make them all boot cut if the pants are intended to be worn on the outside of the boot  Shrug I can barely zip these over my boots, and they are too short and the butt area is too large. Itís like the proportions are all messed up.

These pants are great is you have a large rear end area but have an inseam of 28Ē or less and have super skinny boots and ankles. The quality of the pants are OK.

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 01:00:22 pm »

Now all I need is to find a remedy for the sometimes blinding cramps I get that won't put me to sleep.  Crazy

As for the cramps Aleve is the best, take 2 pills, not only does it alleviate the cramps for up to 12 hours but youíll bleed lessÖ. way less. But you have to take it as soon as you think you're getting your period.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:05:46 pm by VIVID1 » Logged

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
ReynoldsFH439

Reputation 0

GPS: Illinois

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 01:15:40 pm »

You only need to change it twice a day and, since it doesn't absorb anything or chafe, you can put it in ahead of time so you don't get that "is that it? what about now? ack!" thought 15 times a day on the first day. Lol

I got "The Keeper", another brand of menstrual cup that's also available at Whole Foods, in June or July of last year.  It definitely takes some getting used to, but I haven't had any leakage problems since I figured it out.  I can't speak for riding with it since I don't ride (I've been tacking on "yet" to that statement with more certainty recently, though) and I haven't ridden pillion with it yet either, but it seems to hold up to other activities.

In the TMI category:

+1 on the putting it in ahead of time, and it's also nice for the end when it's light enough to feel like a waste of a tampon but still going to require extra effort on laundry by going without. Personally, tampons always seemed to suck me dry at that point making removal a little like ripping off a bandaid Crazy ...not an issue with The Keeper.

photomd
Thread Killa

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '06, '08
GPS: In the Land of Cotton (SC)
Miles Typed: 2146

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 01:31:13 pm »

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this...stupid males. Bash

Anyway, here's a suggestion about the cramps. They're thought to be caused by prostaglandins. You can decrease the prostaglandins with anti-inflamatory doses of NSAID's: ibuprofen. This is 600-800mg taken three to four times daily, and it must be taken every day for several days. If you buy the 200mg generic tabs, start with 3 at each meal when you feel your cycle coming on. It won't be the "magic bullet" like an antibiotic for a UTI, but it should take the edge off (said like a true male  Wink  ). You can dose up to 800mg 3 times a day at the next cycle if the above doesn't work. Don't go above 800mg four times daily...it's hard on the kidneys. I hope this helps. And I'm very glad I'm male, especially after treating women who suffer with bad cycles.

98 CR250
96 R1100RS
88 R100RS 79 V-1000SP
stefrrr

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 01:14:05 am »

I'm with Vivid - Aleve (naproxen sodium) is an NSAID that helps with the cramps and the pain. Plus, it doesn't cause as much damage to the stomach lining as ibuprofen. I've known one or two people who said it made them sleepy, but I don't think it's a "normal" side effect.

Me, I'm pretty out of it. I get cramps, extremely anemic, distracted, the works. I can't and don't ride for two or three days usually. I missed some good riding right in the middle of my ten-day trip last summer.  Sad

Eating a high-fiber, low-fat diet seems to be the best solution. It's also the hardest.  Crazy
Mrs.BMW-K

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 12:52:22 pm »

I really try to stay away from the carbs, and stick to high protein/high fiber - the carbs just make the fatigue worse for me.  I can still manage to ride, but let's just say it's a good idea for me to stick to nice straight roads, and not attempt anything twisty, unless I'm at golf cart speeds.

--~0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal