Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 165340 times)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15223

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:07 pm »

Dan bought me a copy of "10 Years on 2 Wheels"  Inlove

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1509

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: April 21, 2011, 12:25:03 am »

Over the past two weeks, after we finally broke 50 degrees in daytime temperatures here in Puget Sound, I began noticing a new phenonemon in motorcycling:  the female commuter.

Most of the past six years, if I wanted to see another female motorcyclist operating a motorcycle on the road during the weekday commute I'd have to arrange to meet up with her--with the exception of scooters (not to discount those) and perhaps a handful of others.  This week alone I've seen other women commuting on motorcycles every day.  The dead giveaways have been luggage on the bike (regardless of type) and gear--what's on the market in textile jackets for women all look alike to me.  The motorcycle was often in the "practical" category--Versys, or metric cruiser.  Oh, and one DS Sport with full fairing.

I don't remember this occurring the last time gasoline broke $4 a gallon.

'08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Guzzi Breva
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #362 on: April 21, 2011, 08:19:51 am »

Hey, speaking of this thread, Tiez is starting the preliminaries for a woman's riding suit. Currently, the only conversation I know of it over on ADV http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675279

I think I'll ask them to jump in over here, perhaps starting a new thread.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Advertisement

stefrrr

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: April 21, 2011, 05:32:58 pm »

Woooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo! I rode to work last Wednesday. My rain pants - reinforced at the knees - leaked where the reinforcement was sewn on. Rolleyes
My gloves were soaked.The only thing dry were my head, torso, and feet.  
I really, really, really, really, really, really want a one-piece suit. And 'lectrics.  
jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »

Might want to try Rainy Pass for the pants.  They can tape the seams on your rainpants which ought to re-seal them.  They've replaced the zippers on gear and have repaired both of the Gore-tex jacket liners for my BMW jackets and their work has been solid.  For the gloves, Ride West's gear swap is in a couple of weeks and I know at least one pair of waterproof Rev'ITs will be available there.  Wink

Squijummonkey

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '99 Honda CBR 1100XX "Blackbird"
GPS: Covington, Washington
Miles Typed: 640

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: May 22, 2011, 05:15:26 pm »

Hey ladies! Here's something that's been bothering me:

For the times when I'm not riding with my full leather suit on, I ride with regular (on the hip) jeans and, if hot enough, something like a spaghetti strap with a textile jacket (it seems I can't find any jackets that fit over my hips). My problem is, when hunched over on my bike, my jacket and shirt ride up and pants kind of do a dip which results in this awkward "smiley face" on my lower back.  My reach for the handlebars is pretty far, so that is mostly the problem with the top layers riding up. Question I have for all of you, if this is even relevant, is how to avoid this? Keep in mind trying to stay cool in 80-90 degree weather. I thought about buying a leotard from a dance shop (swimsuits dip too low). I haven't ruled out jeans sitting on the waist, problem is, they aren't easy to come by, especially with today's style trends. Then there's always buying shirts 3 times my size to get them to tuck into my jeans...still a little awkward.

Any suggestions?
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: May 22, 2011, 05:22:03 pm »

Hey ladies! Here's something that's been bothering me:

For the times when I'm not riding with my full leather suit on, I ride with regular (on the hip) jeans and, if hot enough, something like a spaghetti strap with a textile jacket (it seems I can't find any jackets that fit over my hips). My problem is, when hunched over on my bike, my jacket and shirt ride up and pants kind of do a dip which results in this awkward "smiley face" on my lower back.  My reach for the handlebars is pretty far, so that is mostly the problem with the top layers riding up. Question I have for all of you, if this is even relevant, is how to avoid this? Keep in mind trying to stay cool in 80-90 degree weather. I thought about buying a leotard from a dance shop (swimsuits dip too low). I haven't ruled out jeans sitting on the waist, problem is, they aren't easy to come by, especially with today's style trends. Then there's always buying shirts 3 times my size to get them to tuck into my jeans...still a little awkward.

Any suggestions?

I'm not normally an old navy fan, but they have some almost tunic length polos and tees that solved this issue for me.  

Lauren
Squijummonkey

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: May 22, 2011, 05:29:43 pm »

I'm not an Old Navy fan either, but they don't seem all that expensive; I'll have to check them out  Bigok
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #368 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:27 pm »

For the times when I'm not riding with my full leather suit on, I ride with regular (on the hip) jeans and, if hot enough, something like a spaghetti strap with a textile jacket

Any suggestions?

Get some textile pants that will zip to the bottom of your jacket? Shrug

Member since 2003
Squijummonkey

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: May 22, 2011, 07:02:41 pm »

Get some textile pants that will zip to the bottom of your jacket? Shrug

Doesn't have a zipper to connect it to pants, although, a new jacket isn't out of the question entirely. I'd rather go that route when I have to retire my current one; I just picked it up last year =\
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #370 on: May 22, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »

Doesn't have a zipper to connect it to pants, although, a new jacket isn't out of the question entirely. I'd rather go that route when I have to retire my current one; I just picked it up last year =\
I understand   Thumbsup

In the meantime, how about new pants and a seamstress who will sew in a good, quality zipper for you from jacket to pants? I always send my stuff to a seamstress to replace the weeny 8" zipper that comes with most gear and give me a 3/4 circumference zipper. It isn't that much $$ and makes me feel much more secure. After all, if you go asphalt sliding, it is not uncommon for the jacket to ride up and leave you with a really nasty "smiley face" on your back  Crazy

Member since 2003
Squijummonkey

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: May 22, 2011, 10:09:21 pm »

That's a great idea. I have a seamstress who doesn't mind doing crazy work for me  Lol it's not the first, nor will it be the last, I'm sure. But you're right, I didn't take into account asphalt sliding =( Maybe new pants will definitely be in order
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #372 on: May 25, 2011, 07:59:52 am »

Tiez has finally introduced their women's textile custom gear. New thread started over here  Thumbsup

Member since 2003
jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: July 03, 2011, 12:23:08 pm »

Ladies--I picked up a pair of Alpinestar race boots at the closeout table at Seattle Cycle (who do online orders) in my boyfriend's size, but when we unboxed the boots, it turns out they're women's race boots.  You'd never know, except for the size tag.  Anyway, they're too big for me--which is something I've NEVER said about women's motorcycle boots--with ankle torsion limiters, toe guards, and replaceable soles.

I'm going to return them this morning, but thought I'd mention them in this thread because I'd never heard of women's motorcycle boots in Euro size 44.  I'm a 43 and have only seen them go up to 41.

rocketbunny
slow n steady wins the race

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Motorcycles: 2005 BMW R1200ST, 2003 BMW F650GS
GPS: Houston, TX
Miles Typed: 438

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: July 10, 2011, 11:44:47 pm »

wah wah

I'm 4 1/2 months pregnant and feeling pretty down tonight. Babybunny is due in December. I was commuting until the nausea kicked in. I'm feeling better now, but with the Texas summer in full blast, I don't even want to do that. I was browsing Riderwearhouse and Twistedthrottle tonight scoping out fun farkles and gear for future trips.

I had to cancel a big trip last year (2010) because of our wedding. Then I canceled a planned 10 day southwest ride in May because of all day morning sickness. Looking ahead, I'm having a hard time envisioning when I'm going to be able to do my next big multi-day ride out of Texas. I'm planning on BF'g...so I guess that means I'll have to wait until baby is at least mostly weaned... Any experiences??? Reassurance???

-Becca

IBA#33634
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01:11 am »

Absolutely no experience or advice, but a BIG HEARTFELT CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Inlove Inlove Inlove

I can relate to the "not riding for a while" part, so I can reassure you that it does suck but that you will be back on the bike.  Bigok

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2011, 03:53:29 pm »

Becca, congrats! Your life will change in unbelievable ways, and you will no doubt experience Mama Lion moments that make you feel like a superwoman.  Wink

I BF both my sons, and although I couldn't take looooong trips, I would go out for rides in the evening when my husband was home, and pump/store milk for weekend moto-trips. I never quit riding, 'though I didn't manage a week-long trip until the kids were on solid food.

It'll work out, honest!

bj

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2847

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »

wah wah

I'm 4 1/2 months pregnant and feeling pretty down tonight. Babybunny is due in December. I was commuting until the nausea kicked in. I'm feeling better now, but with the Texas summer in full blast, I don't even want to do that. I was browsing Riderwearhouse and Twistedthrottle tonight scoping out fun farkles and gear for future trips.

I had to cancel a big trip last year (2010) because of our wedding. Then I canceled a planned 10 day southwest ride in May because of all day morning sickness. Looking ahead, I'm having a hard time envisioning when I'm going to be able to do my next big multi-day ride out of Texas. I'm planning on BF'g...so I guess that means I'll have to wait until baby is at least mostly weaned... Any experiences??? Reassurance???

Congrats on having a little bunny on the way!  I totally sympathize with the morning sickness.  By the time I wasn't sick, I couldn't fit in my gear any more. Thumbsdown

Just weaned my son last month (he's 14 months now).  Haven't had a chance to even do weekends this summer.  Hubby has worked a bunch of weekends or some such nonsense has come up.  I'm still not comfy making someone else take time away from their busy schedules to watch dude for me while I go and have fun.  Thinking of taking a ride tomorrow, since I have the day off and he's legitimately at the babysitter. Lol

You can take weekends away from the baby while you're breastfeeding.  Make sure to stockpile enough milk so your hubby can bottle feed him/her (liquid gold, baby!).  Plan on bringing your pump and stopping every couple of hours to express.  After more time than that, you will feel like you're gonna asplode.  Have a good cooler on the bike for storage.  If you're willing to go through all that BS, your a better woman than I. Wink

If you have any questions or concerns about breastfeeding, feel free to shoot me a pm.  I managed to pump at work successfully for a whole year, and am happy to share tips and tricks.  I feel very proud of the fact that dude never needed formula while he was at the babysitter.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:43:16 pm by jadziadax8 » Logged

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
rocketbunny
slow n steady wins the race

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Motorcycles: 2005 BMW R1200ST, 2003 BMW F650GS
GPS: Houston, TX
Miles Typed: 438

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: July 15, 2011, 10:38:51 pm »

Thanks BJ and Jadziadax8. Very encouraging. Hopefully I'll be able to do some weekend rides this spring... Maybe even Eureka Springs for National in June (it's close enough to make a 3-4 day ride... but that'd be a lot of stockpiling).

Carolyn, sorry for whining... I know your back issues are much bigger and seem to be longer term than this whole temporary inconvenience/baby thing. Sad

Thanks for the "Congrats" everyone!

-Becca

IBA#33634
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:05 pm »

Carolyn, sorry for whining... I know your back issues are much bigger and seem to be longer term than this whole temporary inconvenience/baby thing. Sad

Dude, you weren't whining at all!! Plus, at least I wasn't puking during my back problems!  I'm scared to death that I might wind up with morning (all day) sickness someday!  Crazy Lol

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal