Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 165335 times)

Stargzrgrl
Sticker Fiend aka HelloBorgieStar

Reputation 29

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 BMW F800ST, '77 Honda CB550F Super Sport, '08 Yamaha XT 250
GPS: Back in the mundane
Miles Typed: 2069

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: February 04, 2013, 05:32:10 pm »

I'm here too, just been lurking a lot.  Shrug

Just been a bit bummed not having a core group of riders here that I can go riding with at anytime like back in Region 4.  I would like to do some more dual sport riding with my XT but seeing as I'm not at all familiar with this area and my lack of directional prowess...  I just don't want to be rescued far from home.   Crazy

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
GPS: Sebastian, Florida
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: February 07, 2013, 12:07:33 pm »

Hi ladies, This is my first time on here. I have a question....I am getting a new bike. I have had a Motto Guzzi Breva 750. That was my first bike and I sold it because I am only 5' and I could only get it low enough to get my tip toes on the ground and I felt unsecure. I then bought a ninja 250. I loved that bike and it was a great bike to learn on. Now I am getting something bigger.  My question is What is your opinions...I am deciding between a Ninja 650 and a BMW G650GS. I ride a lot. I live in Florida and I ride to Georgia and the Carolina's. Also I ride all year long. Any input? Smile

Thanks

You just can't ever get enough riding in.
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12:04 pm »

Whichever one you feel most comfortable sitting on.

Lauren
Advertisement

bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: February 07, 2013, 05:24:52 pm »

I am deciding between a Ninja 650 and a BMW G650GS.

Hi!    I don't think you can go wrong with either bike; like cultureslayer mentioned, it'll be whichever you're more comfortable on.  I'm 5'1" and fit slightly better on the stock Beemer than the stock Ninja 650, but I sat on a lowered 650 and it was awesome.  Remember to also check out the reach to the bars and the width of the bars, too.

Either bike would be great for racking up lots of miles. Inlove  I owned a F650GS, the predecessor to the G650GS, and would buy one again in a heartbeat.

I'm no help because I currently ride a Ninja 250 and the Ninja 650 and G650GS are my two top choices in case I ever "upgrade" again, so I haven't decided between them yet either. Lol Lol

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2847

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:37 pm »

Hi ladies, This is my first time on here. I have a question....I am getting a new bike. I have had a Motto Guzzi Breva 750. That was my first bike and I sold it because I am only 5' and I could only get it low enough to get my tip toes on the ground and I felt unsecure. I then bought a ninja 250. I loved that bike and it was a great bike to learn on. Now I am getting something bigger.  My question is What is your opinions...I am deciding between a Ninja 650 and a BMW G650GS. I ride a lot. I live in Florida and I ride to Georgia and the Carolina's. Also I ride all year long. Any input? Smile

Thanks

The Ninja has a very narrow seat which can help a lot with confidence.  I love mine, and have ridden the snot out of it, but at 5'8" tall I've never had any trouble flatfooting it.  I'm kinda not qualified in this arena.   Lol

Also, I can't believe that 'poof forgot to mention her favorite boots for the vertically challenged.  The Daytona Ladystar boots add some height without advertising that you're wearing lifts.

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: February 07, 2013, 10:26:37 pm »

Thanks for the input.  I do have modified boots already...the sole is 1 1/2 inches and still I can't reach the ground on either bike.  Lowering is a must. Though I had to lower my 250 as well. I am so torn between the two. I love the beemer....and that was my first choice....then I sat on the ninja and thought, I could do this one too...LOL. Well I will ponder a little more. I was just wondering if any of you had a preference and why. I just retired and get my retirement money in 3 weeks...I have already sold the 250 and am itching to ride.
I am so glad I found this site. It's nice to have ladies to talk to.

bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: February 07, 2013, 11:02:14 pm »

Also, I can't believe that 'poof forgot to mention her favorite boots for the vertically challenged. 

Doh, you're right!! I'm losing my touch! Lol

Joni, congrats on the retirement!  Bigok  What part of Florida are you in?  

www.bluepoof.com
Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: February 07, 2013, 11:37:32 pm »

Thank you.  I live in Sebastian FL. It's about 2 hours south of Daytona. Do you like the Daytona boots?  I was looking at them before. I just wasn't sure they were going to give me enough height. I met a lady at the races at Daytona a few years ago who told me about having my boots altered. So that's what I did. I kind of look like I should be going to a Kiss concert! LOL. My problem is my inseam is only about 27 1/2 inches.....It makes it really hard to find a bike to ride. I am also a fairly new rider. I have only been riding for about 4 years. I still feel more comfortable having at least the balls of my feet on the ground. All of the men I have talked to say all I need are my toes on the ground. I am sure they are right, but, I am not comfortable that way. Also with only my toes on the groung it makes it hard for me to move the bike.
That's probably silly...but that's me.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15223

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #408 on: February 08, 2013, 03:32:04 am »

Welcome Joni  

I am absolutely no help to you in this regard, so I'll just say Hi and then sit in the shadows until you have a different question  Bigsmile

That's bluepoof on the left and me on the right

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:00 pm »

Damn, I'm short. Lol

www.bluepoof.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #410 on: February 08, 2013, 02:07:35 pm »

Damn, I'm short. Lol

And this is news to you?  :pokestick:   Bigsmile

(but there's just so much *awesome* involved!)

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:44 am »

What a great picture. Poof you are short...but, I am shorter...LOL. That bike looks huge for you.
Well I think I have made my decision, I am leaning towards the G650GS.  I really love that bike. As they say...when I look at it, it blows my skirt up. The other thing is when I sit on it, I can sit up straighter. I am getting to old to be all bent over when I ride. As soon as I get it I will take a picture and post it on here so you can all see me and my new bike.  Well that is as soon as I can figure out how to post a picture.

bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2013, 08:50:33 am »

What a great picture. Poof you are short...but, I am shorter...LOL. That bike looks huge for you.

The KLR in the pic was borrowed and had 4" lowering links. I'm also wearing the Ladystar boots with rise in that pic. Lol

Hooray for the Beemer!! I love that bike.  Inlove

www.bluepoof.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #413 on: February 10, 2013, 10:19:51 am »

What a great picture. Poof you are short...

It probably doesn't help that I'm almost 6' with socks on  Smile

As soon as I get it I will take a picture and post it on here so you can all see me and my new bike.  Well that is as soon as I can figure out how to post a picture.

This link here should help with the photo posting  Thumbsup  Nice choice on the bike - I'm looking forward to seeing it!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:28:01 am by Mrs. DantesDame » Logged

Member since 2003
Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:56 am »

Thank's for the link. Where was that picture taken? I just realized that poof is in CA, and you are in Switzerland. I think it's great that you two met and rode together.
When it comes to buying bikes....I wish I was six foot tall with my socks on...LOL (Great line by the way). Everybody is always trying to get me on a cruiser...I don't want to ride a cruiser. (just not my style)
Now if I could just find good gear for women. They have all the girlie stuff (but most of that is not for girls that ride, only for the show pieces on the back of the bike). Finding gear made to fit woman and be water proof and have the right armor is not as easy. Most of my gear is men's and I make it work.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2013, 11:10:44 am »

Thank's for the link. Where was that picture taken? I just realized that poof is in CA, and you are in Switzerland. I think it's great that you two met and rode together.

I used to live in Seattle and met poof at an STN event a long, long time ago and we became good friends ever since  Inlove  That photo was taken at Tehuya off road park on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.

Finding gear made to fit woman and be water proof and have the right armor is not as easy. Most of my gear is men's and I make it work.

Poof might come back and tell you about her custom made Tiez suit....  

Member since 2003
Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »

That's great. I wish I had females to ride with. My boyfriend and I ride...but not as often as I would like. He works nights and sleeps most of the day. Now that I am retired, I have all the time in the world to ride and no one to ride with.
Seattle is beautiful....I bet the riding is great there. My Ex-daughter-in-law and grandson live there.
I will wait to hear from poof about riding gear. I have talked to all of the major companys and they say they can not customize down enough. They only will cut off so many inches..and of course it is never quite enough.

bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:12 pm »

Hee!  OK, I'm back! I'm back!  Lol Lol

Gear, oh my.  I've had the same problem with Aerostich not customizing enough.   I finally spent the money and got a fully customized suit from Teiz Motorsports:  http://store.teizms.com/revolution

Here's my review when I first got it.

I love it -- it's pretty much the same price as a 'Stich but is 100% custom.  My only problem is that I've lost almost 25 lbs since I had it made and it's big in places now.  I'm afraid to get it re-sized because I have no idea whether I'm going to regain the size (silly pregnancy/baby/breastfeeding got things all wonky).  Lol

The other gear that I've had good luck with is FirstGear HT Overpants (though if you're really skinny as well as short, they only go down to a size 6) and BMW jackets.  The jackets are spendy compared to other manufacturers, but I've found that they have sizes that actually fit small women.  My Santiago jacket fits in the arms and the elbows don't wander around, which happened with every other jacket I've ever had.  Rolleyes

www.bluepoof.com
Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2013, 02:10:52 pm »

Thanks for the info Poof....I tried stitch...and Gerbings, firstgear and road crafter. I do have a gerbings jacket...I just can not wear it right now. I have had 2 heart attacks and with all the medicine I take I have put on 50 pounds. If I am completely honest most of that is from the medicine and some is from depression Embarassment. Better now decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back in action...lol. Just the action is a little slower with the extra weight....LOLOL. Funny though...it doesn't want to come off as easy as it went on. Oh well such is life. I will go to that link and see what I can do. Thank you so much for sharing it with me.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 81

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2013, 02:37:42 pm »

'Poof and Dante, tag teaming from opposites sides of the earth.  Lol

Member since 2003
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal