Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 187612 times)

jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: February 10, 2013, 03:54:32 pm »

Thanks for the info Poof....I tried stitch...and Gerbings, firstgear and road crafter. I do have a gerbings jacket...I just can not wear it right now. I have had 2 heart attacks and with all the medicine I take I have put on 50 pounds. If I am completely honest most of that is from the medicine and some is from depression Embarassment. Better now decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back in action...lol. Just the action is a little slower with the extra weight....LOLOL. Funny though...it doesn't want to come off as easy as it went on. Oh well such is life. I will go to that link and see what I can do. Thank you so much for sharing it with me.

The weight can come off!  I lost 90 lbs between June 2011 and June 2012 while doing WeightWatchers.  I highly recommend!  I have kept the weight off a full 6 months now, and feel great.

I feel your pain when it comes to gear.  They all cheap out on the women's stuff.  When I have kept the weight off a year, I plan on treating myself to a custon Teiz suit (as long as I haven't gone bankrupt with all the stuff going wrong with my new house).

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Joni234
Ride Girl Ride

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
GPS: Sebastian, Florida
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Love My Ninja

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: February 10, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »

EEK! Darn houses can break you so fast...Will send good thoughts your way to stop the house problems. I have been thinking about joining weight watchers...I have tried so many different things. So far nothing has worked (for the weight that is...however, emptying my wallet...they have all worked very well). Well I hope the house doesn't break you, you deserve a new suit. Good luck

You just can't ever get enough riding in.
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: February 16, 2013, 11:16:00 am »

EEK! Darn houses can break you so fast...Will send good thoughts your way to stop the house problems. I have been thinking about joining weight watchers...I have tried so many different things. So far nothing has worked (for the weight that is...however, emptying my wallet...they have all worked very well). Well I hope the house doesn't break you, you deserve a new suit. Good luck

Paleo has worked for me for maintaining my weight and dropping a few lbs (I've got thyroid problems, so I'm afraid if I put on more than a couple lbs it won't come off again).  I've heard that food addicts uses similar principles of eliminating processed sugar and incorporating fat into your meals so you feel satiated.  http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/

The house stuff made me miss the last ESTN and has really cut into my riding time.  At least we bought it planning to renovate so there haven't been too many surprises.

Lauren
Advertisement

jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2013, 04:57:47 pm »

At least we bought it planning to renovate so there haven't been too many surprises.

We planned on renovation as well, but weren't expecting to have $4000 in plumber's bills!  All the plumbers were supposed to do was put in 2 toilets and 2 faucets.  Two days of work later we still ended up installing our own toilet.

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1509

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: May 10, 2013, 02:40:58 am »

I have not much to contribute, other than I lost 40 pounds on weight watchers in 2011 and have kept it off, and recommend the program.  Still go to meetings and it's rather neat what they're emphasizing now.

The F twin motor is terrific; and just gets smoother with age.  I think there are sizing options with the GS series; BMW was big on promoting that last year.

'08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Guzzi Breva
Poniesatemybagel

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda CM200T, Honda VFR, Kawasaki Concours
Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2013, 03:37:25 pm »

Hi ladies, I don't mean to intrude. I had a quick question, what got you into riding?

My wife rides pillion with me and in a bit less than 3 weeks we're doing a fly and ride to pick up my new C14 in Georgia and then ride it back to CA. She really likes working on bikes and riding pillion, I think she would enjoy riding her own more though. She's really nervous about the idea and in general doesn't have a lot of self confidence. I was thinking of getting some small scooters or something and doing some riding around town so she could try and get used to the idea of her own bike. I'm trying really hard not to push her, it's just about every 3 weeks or so she tells me she wishes that she knew how to ride. I'd have her take the MSF, but she has social anxiety problems and I think it would freak her out/put her off of it.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #426 on: May 17, 2013, 03:52:30 pm »

Hi ladies, I don't mean to intrude. I had a quick question, what got you into riding?

It won't help you, but since you asked, here's my story

Any suggestions/recommendations?

It's too bad that she won't take the MSF. I have no idea, but is there a way to have her take a private-type lesson? Maybe buddy up with an MSF teacher and ask him he'd show her the course on her own? Not to get certified, but just to see if she likes it and if she does, to give her the confidence to go the class. I'd really push for this, because putting her on the street, even on a small scooter, without proper training is not a good idea. Just like you shouldn't try to teach her yourself  Embarassment
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:56:07 pm by Mrs. DantesDame » Logged

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Poniesatemybagel

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda CM200T, Honda VFR, Kawasaki Concours
Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: May 17, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »

It won't help you, but since you asked, here's my story

It's too bad that she won't take the MSF. I have no idea, but is there a way to have her take a private-type lesson? Maybe buddy up with an MSF teacher and ask him he'd show her the course on her own? Not to get certified, but just to see if she likes it and if she does, to give her the confidence to go the class. I'd really push for this, because putting her on the street, even on a small scooter, without proper training is not a good idea. Just like you shouldn't try to teach her yourself  Embarassment

Neat story!

I recently retook the MSF after the DMV screwed up my license and I lost my class M. I tried to get her to go with me, but she just can't stand the idea of that many people around her. She's really social phobic, I actually have all the course-work from the MSF and was considering just teaching her myself. We've taught each other a lot and I don't think it would be to bad. I've been riding over 20 years and although you can always improve I feel like I could teach her the basics without her developing bad habits.

We've ridden 50's together before, she really enjoyed that. She loves to ride, she's just scared she'd be to klutzy on the bike and the idea of being around people prevents her from getting the training advantage MSF offers.
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:50 pm »

I think Dante's suggestion of private lessons is a good one -- would she be open to that?  I don't have social anxiety in particular, but I've wrestled with anxiety and panic disorder my whole life and I can totally see where a big MSF class experience might be scary at best and dangerous/counterproductive at worst.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:05 am »

One of the schools around here offers women-only BRC classes.  One session was in the next range over when I was taking the ERC or ARC (can't recall which).  I know it filled up early and had a woman instructor and vanna coach.  Can't remark on anything else except it seemed like a typical BRC.

I am torn between wondering if social anxiety would be a liability riding--sometimes you have to be assertive riding and of course, pretty always feel free to express an opinion or offer unsolicited advice when you stop for any kind of errand on the motorcycle--or really empowering.

I'd say don't push. My fiance scuba dives and I tried taking a class as I'd like him to have a reliable dive partner but had a terrible time and found I'm not really interested at this time. It may be something I want someday, but not now.

Motorcycling I came around to on my own, and I think that was key for me.  I loved staying up late to watch CHiPs when I was a kid, and always wanted to learn, but was terrified to do so.  One year I just decided to do it.  I think I was terrified of my own lack of experience for most of the first year riding, but practiced and added experiences when I thought I was ready (except for night riding, but that's a story for another time). I decided to learn out of the blue--was single and didn't have any friends who rode motorcycles.  There have been some disadvantages to learning that way as well;  group rides make me nervous, especially when I know how little it takes to get endorsed.

If your wife is happy riding pillion then I would leave it at that.  If she does decide to learn to ride, she won't want to ride as a passenger every again. :-)

jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: May 21, 2013, 11:02:08 am »

Came to the thread to share my thoughts about the Roadcrafter women's models.

I went to Aerostich's Seattle event last Saturday.  Prior to then, I wasn't even aware that Aerostich was making a women's line.  While part of me thought that was cool, I also suspected that I wasn't the target market, as I don't have a problem finding gear.  At 5'10" I'm tall enough and my frame carries enough weight that I can fill out a lot of the gear.  Still, I hoped the women's line would have sizing that made sense for the typical American woman, whose average size is 14.

In this I was disappointed.  I could zip into the Size 8 and Size 10 just fine.  They were too short in the sleeves and legs and torso, which I would expect, but the Roadcrafter suit was snug in the shoulders and chest, which I wouldn't.  I don't have particularly broad shoulders and am certainly not endowed.

If I were shorter and had more of a willowy build the suit would have fit great, but so would most Italian manufactured options by Dainese and Spidi.  The fit and finish and features were on par with the men's gear and the price was the same so Aerostich deserves kudos for that.

bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:54 pm »

So, if you were built like a small man, it would be great! Oh, Aerostich, you make it too easy to mock you.  Lol

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
medjen

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 250
GPS: Mitten Land
Miles Typed: 68

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:18 pm »

So, protection and function are very important, but my current MC overpants look remarkably like snowpants.

Do any of you ladies have a slim-ish fitting pair of protective pants that you're fond of? I'm was researching Kevlar jeans, but my options there seem to be super skinny (Dainese) or really baggy (just about all other Kevlar jeans).

Basically I'd like something that I can wear into a restaurant (not a NICE restaurant, just a restaurant) and not look like I've come in from a blizzard.

Suggestions? Budget is flexible for the right item, but preferably <$200.

jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2013, 01:34:25 pm »

I have a pair of Hein Gericke G-Line leather pants which have the slim CE armor over the hips.  They're pretty much summer only, though--the leather isn't competition weight.  They're long enough for me though and have a high-enough waist with a zip connector.  

I also have a pair of Rallye Pro pants.  The BMW pants have Cordura panels so don't look too much like snowpants.

I stay away from riding jeans as I don't really trust them over about 30mph, and the waist is too low.  They look like Carhartts, only less comfortable.

Will you wear your riding pants over street clothes, or by themselves?

medjen

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 250
GPS: Mitten Land
Miles Typed: 68

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2013, 01:40:22 pm »

I have a pair of Hein Gericke G-Line leather pants which have the slim CE armor over the hips.  They're pretty much summer only, though--the leather isn't competition weight.  They're long enough for me though and have a high-enough waist with a zip connector.  

I also have a pair of Rallye Pro pants.  The BMW pants have Cordura panels so don't look too much like snowpants.

I stay away from riding jeans as I don't really trust them over about 30mph, and the waist is too low.  They look like Carhartts, only less comfortable.

Will you wear your riding pants over street clothes, or by themselves?

Thanks! I'll look into the G-Line and the Rallye Pros...

I'd like a pair to wear by themselves (over some leggings or the like if necessary). I think trying to wear something over my street clothes is part of the bulk problem.
kitkite

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: SV650, XT225
GPS: garmin
Miles Typed: 84

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »

i am in need of all new riding gear,  all my gear is too big,  in the past i wasn't impressed with women's gear, just didn't seem as much protection.  rt now i cinch the waist of my pants  they are so baggy now, and my jacket flaps in the wind.  wt loss is great  but   replacing the gear sucks.    4 different riding suits and none fit  LOL  what is a girl to do.     i have gone from a size 16/18 to 4
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: August 15, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »

i am in need of all new riding gear,  all my gear is too big,  in the past i wasn't impressed with women's gear, just didn't seem as much protection.  rt now i cinch the waist of my pants  they are so baggy now, and my jacket flaps in the wind.  wt loss is great  but   replacing the gear sucks.    4 different riding suits and none fit  LOL  what is a girl to do.     i have gone from a size 16/18 to 4

Go try lots of brands on.  With that much weight loss you will probably find that you need a different brand now.  The smaller sizes are sometimes an odd fit.  Joe rocket jackets look like they are supposed to be 3/4 sleeves on me.    I'm so sad that teknic has gone out of business because all my jackets were from them and now I have no idea what to buy for my long arms. Sad

Lauren
kitkite

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: SV650, XT225
GPS: garmin
Miles Typed: 84

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2013, 06:36:57 pm »

Go try lots of brands on.  With that much weight loss you will probably find that you need a different brand now.  The smaller sizes are sometimes an odd fit.  Joe rocket jackets look like they are supposed to be 3/4 sleeves on me.    I'm so sad that teknic has gone out of business because all my jackets were from them and now I have no idea what to buy for my long arms. Sad

I plan to start trying on gear soon  to see what fits, i tried on a womans jacket at the bmw shop and the shoulders were so tight on me,  and the womans pants have big hips,  mens small seem to be a great fit.   all the jackets i have the arms are too long  LOL
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:46 pm »

I feel your pain.  I did the same amount of weight loss about a year ago, and have cobbled together gear for riding that fits OK.  I'm saving up the cash for a custom suit from Teiz.  They make a women-specific 1 piece suit called the Revolution that I have heard good things about.

jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: September 08, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »

I just ordered the Dainese women's chest protector, the pro version.  Anyone use one of these?  I'm not even sure how it will fit.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal