Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 174298 times)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15309

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2008, 03:23:26 pm »

That's the part I'm fretting about!  I swear, I must be the only yeti on this site.  Sad

Wax it, baby!!! Banana

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

shygrl

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 88 ZX600R, 2k Intruder 1500
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2008, 11:41:46 pm »

Hey ya'll I've been lurking around here for a little but now I have a question for the gals on this board --

What riding boots or shoes do you find to be the best fit and most comfortable to wear on your bikes? Headscratch
stefrrr

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2008, 09:34:09 am »

I have C-width feet, so I went with men's Alpinestars Ridge boots, because they run narrow. (men's narrow = women's wide) I added a thin gel insole in one boot to make it fit perfectly.

I've learned that coolmax socks are a must.

One weird thing I've noticed though, my legs itch for a while (sometimes the next few days) after wearing the boots for a while. I'm not sure if it's lack of ventilation or what.  Headscratch
I'm going to try BMW's summer boots next year.  Thumbsup
Advertisement

NinjaNoob

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '05 Ninja 250R
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2008, 12:23:40 pm »

Welcome, shygrl Smile

For boots - I actually opted for more dirtish ones from Sidi that came in kids' sizing . . . I'm 5"0 tall, so not only am I a chick, I'm basically a midget :P (not meant to offend anyone, it's just the truth . . .).

For finding what works for you - this is my experience - I went to all the motorcycle shops around me in like a 70 mi radius (good think RockinJC likes to ride heh) - tried on different boots (everything I tried on did not fit, but it was more of a "how does this manufacturer size their stuffs, etc" than anything) - chatted with everyone I could think of who rode - and posted my question here Smile

For the Sidi's I picked up - I did sacrifice some comfort, but picked up a lot as far as protection goes . . . I used to be in grad school for Physiology, so I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to protection of my feet/ankle area/ATGATT . . .

Hmm, I don't believe I actually answered your question though :P
1. "best fit" - All I can say is Alpinestars seem to run smaller than listed, Sidi was the opposite (about a whole size different, 34 felt like a 35 and vise versa), umm, TourMasters were wide? (I think that was the brand).
2. Most comfortable to wear - Err, depends on what your riding position is? - dirt bikes - more straight, sport bikes have different ergos than cruisers, etc - what you want to do with them (ie street primarily, dirt, enduros, etc).

-Oh, and whatever boots I was trying on, I hopped on one of their bikes (most stores had a smallish sportbike I could sit on) to see how they felt shifting/back breaking and such as well.

Hope this helps, Good luck with your search Smile
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2008, 12:46:07 pm »

Some of us that are short wear the Frey Daytona Lady Star GTX boots. They add an additional 1.5" to my height and are really comfortable and well made boots, although they are pricey.

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4575

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2008, 02:00:21 pm »

I'll echo the comment that you really need to go to dealerships and try stuff on. Every foot is different, every boot is different. I've got men's Oxtar (now called TCX) Explorers for summer, SetUp Gran Prix's for the rest of the year. And they're different sizes, because the footbeds are cut differently!

If you lack stores nearby, New Enough has a good return policy. I had to return my Gran Prix's for a different size.

bj

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
shygrl

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:50 pm »

Problem I have is high arches, I have a heck of time with slip-on type boots. are there any women's boots that have internal laces and Velcro flap. I currently have a pair of the Vega Metro sport boot but tough to get into.
stefrrr

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2008, 10:54:28 pm »

I have the same problem, plus a high instep. AND I've sprained both of my ankles, so there are limits to what I can do to get boots on. The Ridge boots work really well for me. For support for your arch, you can see if you can fit an additional arch support cushion in the boot.  Thumbsup
pcrdude

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2007 FJR1300A
Miles Typed: 1300

My Photo Gallery

Always look both ways!

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2008, 01:30:29 pm »

Wax it, baby!!! Banana

I just happened across this hilarious post about that on another forum:

Waxing

(BTW, I glance at this thread occassionally because one of my riding buddies is a woman.

You are just jealous because the FJR is a better ST than your XX/Sprint/VFR.
Southern Belle
Pho Shizzle!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki SV650

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2008, 06:03:14 pm »

Oh my goodness, that story was painfully hilarious!   Lol

I'm Mrs. Tyrroneous.
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Forest, VA
Miles Typed: 361

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2008, 09:42:15 am »

I've used one for years, it used to be called something else (The Keeper I think) and made of rubber instead of silicone. First heard about it when I was racing bicycles.

They're great, but start to leak when they get full, but once you get used to using it that's easy to prevent. Much better than Tampax, though.

Actually, the Keeper is a different brand, and still out there. Just got a Diva cup. LOVE IT!!! So much easier to deal with and the best part (since I'm getting to be that age where I get "false/mini" periods) no leaks, and no being sucked dry by a tampon in the case of a mini period.

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
lionlady

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2008, 09:44:17 am »

Now my question:

For those of you who commute to work regularly by motorcycle--how is that received? I read on CycleAngels about a woman in TX who was asked by her employer to stop doing it, her racing leathers were deemed inappropriate, even to/from the elevator at each end of the day. I've been hypersensitive about my own office since I sprained my ankle biffing the bike last Friday, missing work icing it, and EVERYONE knows.

Not that I'd ever stop (motorcycle parking is free, cars start at $10/day) but I wonder how it's affecting my long-range career prospects at my fairly conservative company.

One great thing about working for an environmentally ACTIVE company is that all I have to do is mention the 45mpg fuel economy my bike gets, and I don't think there will be any "issues."

P

lionlady

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2008, 09:47:02 am »

I have the same problem, plus a high instep. AND I've sprained both of my ankles, so there are limits to what I can do to get boots on. The Ridge boots work really well for me. For support for your arch, you can see if you can fit an additional arch support cushion in the boot.  Thumbsup

Try Oxtar Jupiters. Very comfy with good support. And consider some spendy insoles (pull out what is in the boots and replace them). I've got high arches and have always just expected to add good insoles to whatever footwear that I'll spend serious time in.

P

shygrl

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2008, 08:06:46 pm »

Thanks ladies for your imput on riding boots. I came across a website showing Alpinestar boots. They have a pair called the Recons that I find interesting. I might give them a try.   Bigsmile   And by the way -- Happy belated Mothers Day to everyone!!
Kath
Two Wheeled Mom

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 GSX650F
Miles Typed: 43

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2008, 02:09:31 pm »

Hi ladies!  I was wondering if there was a women's forum...I guess this is it Wink  Just wanted to say hello.  I'm mostly a lurker right now since my bike trips have been on haitus for a bit while I raise my baby.  As soon as I'm ready to leave him with someone for a whole weekend, I'll get back out there for some longer trips again.  I'm enjoying looking at the pictures in the Ride Stories section though!

Oh and to the lady who asked about riding pregnant.  I rode until 20 weeks.  I got too clumsy after that and thought I'd better stop LOL  

Hi Pam!! Smile

~*~Kath~*~
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15309

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2008, 03:01:14 pm »

Hi ladies!  I was wondering if there was a women's forum...I guess this is it Wink  Just wanted to say hello.  

Welcome Kath!  Bigok
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:20:11 pm by DantesDame » Logged

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
lionlady

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2008, 09:20:54 pm »

Hi ladies!  I was wondering if there was a women's forum...I guess this is it Wink  Just wanted to say hello.  I'm mostly a lurker right now since my bike trips have been on haitus for a bit while I raise my baby.  As soon as I'm ready to leave him with someone for a whole weekend, I'll get back out there for some longer trips again.  I'm enjoying looking at the pictures in the Ride Stories section though!

Oh and to the lady who asked about riding pregnant.  I rode until 20 weeks.  I got too clumsy after that and thought I'd better stop LOL  

Hi Pam!! Smile

{kath}

Hi KATH!!!  Burnout

P

jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1509

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:20 am »

I have fine, thin, breakable hair--have to use little-girl ponytail bands--that has recently become long enough to whip into the faceshield during head checks.

So much for my romantic vision of riding down the road with my hair flowing behind me.

Right now I sort of twist it into a wad and try to pull my balclava around it.  I don't think I have enough for the "hair leather" products out there.

'08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Guzzi Breva
stefrrr

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2008, 10:58:33 pm »

I'm sorry if there's another thread about this somewhere.

Who's going, where are you staying, will there be an STN meet & greet? Bigok
Weaselette

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
GPS: Wenatchee, WA
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

ASAT - All Suzukis, All of the Time

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2008, 07:48:23 pm »

Greets, all. Just a quick "hello" to introduce myself. I registered a couple of years ago, but dropped off the radar, and my husband (Portchelanman) lurks regularly.

So here I am, back again, with a spankin' new Aprilia SL750 Shiver to enjoy Inlove and a new body to outfit with gear.  I've gained and lost the same 30 pounds several times over, and now find myself with a load of size 14 gear to get rid of. I'm looking for a summer-weight jacket and pants -- any favourites?

Re: hair breakage: I always ride with a buff pulled over my head like a balaclava 'neath my helmet. It keeps the stray hairs from driving me mad and helps somewhat with helmet hair.

I also commute on my motorcycle (soon as the snow melts in North Central Washington) and my board of director's just fine with it. I usually take professional clothes along, but have even worked in my leathers when I'm taking off for meetings.

I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Sara (Wenatchee, WA)
'09 Suzuki DL650
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal