Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono  (Read 32896 times)

xbud

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Yamaha Super Tenere
GPS: Greensburg, PA
Miles Typed: 368

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:43:57 pm »

I have been eyeing the Aprilia Tuono for some time. I like the looks especially with an Ermax Windscreen, Akropovic Titanium Exhaust, and bar end mirrors. It has a more upright seating position than the Ducati ST4 I currently ride. The wife does'nt ride with me anymore and I never have the oppertunity for overnight trips so the ST4 is not utilized as much as I would like....I guess my question is, is the Tuono worth the switch?

Also keep in mind I can get a smoking deal on the 2007.5 leftover in the Dream Blue and Aprilia still has the 6.9% finincing until 06/30/08

"Sometimes when you look into his eyes, you get the feeling someone else is driving."
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:57:03 am »

In my garage, the 2007 Tuono has made my BMW R1100S obsolete.  I'd rather tour on the Tuono.   Thumbsup Thumbsup

And for short hops, it's just fine two-up.  My 14 year old and I just got back from riding it to the video store.

Does that help?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/raincitysmoothie/tuono.jpg

Tuono lounging around in rural Oregon.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Tuono, KTMs
GPS: Bend, OR USA
Miles Typed: 1544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:36:50 am »

When I bought my 04 Tuono, I was in the  same boat with my Sprint ST. Not enough touring to justify the extra 100+ pounds of bike.

The Tuono makes a fine short trip tourer.

Norcal, en-route to STN WCRM IV - loaded with camping gear even...

Through eastern WA from Grand Coulee Dam last year

And what makes the Touno... the same trip, the day before meeting up with the rest of the STN crew...PIR

Just note that when changing your oil after a track day and before a long trip, it's tough to judge oil level when in a rush...Mr Smooth has that picture I think... (operation-drain-some-oil atop windy ridge) Lol

Is it worth the switch? It depends. I still have my ST but it sadly sees more Stabil and trickle charging than road miles.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:08:46 pm by kurtw » Logged

Kurt's Smugmug
Advertisement

xbud

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:24:15 pm »

That helps a great deal, I just can't see the need for the Sport Touring bike anymore.....I love the pics. I was thinking the same thing with the soft side bags Kurt, those look great by the way. Inlove How is the stock seat for touring?? What are the maintenance intervals on the valve adjustment?? I appreciate the feedback.

"Sometimes when you look into his eyes, you get the feeling someone else is driving."
Mookie
1/31/07 Never forget

Reputation -363

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: Slotard and a Duke
GPS: land of the sea chickens
Miles Typed: 7831

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:35:02 pm »

If the stock seat was anything like my Falco's it's not bad for a stock sport bike. The Sargent aftermarket seat is quite nice btw.

12k per valve check though I've never actually heard of anyone ever needing to actually have them adjusted.  Changing the oil is kind of a convoluted process, but it is a dry sump motor so I suppose you get some plusses and some minuses with that (but on a bike so easy to wheelie, dry sump is good  Thumbsup).

I'd definitely vote to make the switch if you can get a good deal.  The only weak(ish) part of a stock Tuono is the rear shock.  If you can budget in for a fully adjustable fancy shock, or just a stock Mille shock, you'll be in business.

Mookie, the king of stupid Obamunist trolls on STN.
-FiremanBob
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:48:11 pm »

That helps a great deal, I just can't see the need for the Sport Touring bike anymore.....I love the pics. I was thinking the same thing with the soft side bags Kurt, those look great by the way. Inlove How is the stock seat for touring?? What are the maintenance intervals on the valve adjustment?? I appreciate the feedback.

The stock seat is great. Firm, broad, and comfortable for me. Ergos are really good though I wish I had more room to adjust bar position. You might have that with the smaller front fairing. The windscreen, might be a comfort issue if you are cruising above 75 for extended periods. Knees might be an issue as the pegs put your legs in a pretty sporty position (fixable with adjustable pegs if so).

10k (12k? can't remember) valve checks, rarely need adjustment.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:09:30 pm by kurtw » Logged

Kurt's Smugmug
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:03 pm »

I mentioned a few of the annoyances about touring on the Tuono in atypical's which bike thread. It's not built to be a tourer so there are bound to be some niggles.

You may need to top off oil between oil changes (it blows some off into the airbox via the breather and probably burns a little bit). The rear brake is a design issue, developing air bubbles in the caliper due to the caliper being mounted higher than the master cyclinder (by the end of a tour, I may feel my rear brake fading). It's not hard to bleed if you dismount the caliper and bleed from a few different positions.

Reliability of the rotax engine is very good. It's an amazing package.

Kurt's Smugmug
xbud

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:16 pm »

Thanks Kurt, Mookie, and MisterSmooth, I have been following along on the AF1 Forum for info as well....I appreciate the responses.

Bunbun
The Bun

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 02 Blackbird
GPS: College Station, TX
Miles Typed: 570

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 08:59:54 pm »

I got to swap bikes with a friend that owned a tuono.  Rode it for about 100 miles and absolutely loved it.  One of the most memorable times was passing a truck and nailing the throttle at 40-50ish and having the front wheel pop up without effort.  Freakin' awesome bike. Don't think I'd want to pull a 5-600 mile day on it, but as a canyon carver or general purpose bike, I'd definitely get one.

Bun
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 10:58:54 pm »

I got to swap bikes with a friend that owned a tuono.  Rode it for about 100 miles and absolutely loved it.  One of the most memorable times was passing a truck and nailing the throttle at 40-50ish and having the front wheel pop up without effort.  Freakin' awesome bike. Don't think I'd want to pull a 5-600 mile day on it, but as a canyon carver or general purpose bike, I'd definitely get one.

Bun

I've done multiple 480 mile days on mine (although not back to back; longest back to back was 480 followed by about 350).  With the stock seat.

It was fine.  I think my max range on the Tuono is about that, though, about 500 miles.  After that it would seem like work, and that's no good.

At my age 500 miles in a day on a motorbike is enough anyway...

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Dan K

Reputation 110

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:51:33 pm »

Always wanted one, and a buddy bought a blue and white 2007.5.  Great bike.  With the upgraded exhaust and remapped injection, it is more bike than anyone would need, or maybe even want.

BUT - can they be fitted with hard luggage without a bunch of custom fabrication?  I've looked a bit, and while I've seen soft bags, I'd be using it as a daily commuter and a decent sized top case would be a necessity.

Anyone familiar with a Tuono having hard bags?  What about first generation Tuono?

Very curious - may go shopping.  Was going to add a cruiser, but if the Tuono can do it, I may sell the FZ1 and become an Aprilia man.

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
fallzboater

Reputation 10

GPS: Hood River, OR
Miles Typed: 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:06:07 pm »

You may need to top off oil between oil changes (it blows some off into the airbox via the breather and probably burns a little bit). The rear brake is a design issue, developing air bubbles in the caliper due to the caliper being mounted higher than the master cyclinder (by the end of a tour, I may feel my rear brake fading). It's not hard to bleed if you dismount the caliper and bleed from a few different positions.

Very easy to overfill the oil reservoir.  The level will change quite a bit while running, due to transfer between the reservoir and sump.  If there's any oil visible in the sight tube with the motor off, I don't add more.  If you run the level higher, I think it mostly goes into the airbox.

The easy solution to the rear brake is to forget about it.  I only ever use it in the wet.  The twin has tons of engine braking compared with most other bikes.  I suppose with a pillion or loaded rear bags the rear brake might be a bit more useful.

My only issue with long rides is the short seat-peg distance, and minimal wind protection (great in summer).  
fallzboater

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:24 pm »

BUT - can they be fitted with hard luggage without a bunch of custom fabrication?  I've looked a bit, and while I've seen soft bags, I'd be using it as a daily commuter and a decent sized top case would be a necessity.

I have a huge Marsee (old model) strap-on tank bag on mine, and I sometimes also use a courier bag.  There are plenty of tail bags available, and some are probably waterproof.  If I really wanted a hard case in the rear, I think I'd mount a Pelican case to the pillion saddle.  Probably plenty secure if you don't go too large, and easy to pop on and off.  

There are also rack options available.
http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/sports_racks.htm
fallzboater

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 05:40:44 pm »

The easy solution to the rear brake is to forget about it.

I found the better, and easy enough, solution here (see posts #6, 7, 8):
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15500

I just bled my rear caliper using the two positions shown (next two posts in thread) and went from 1 1/8" of lever travel (measured at the brake light switch), down to 1/4".  The only other thing I did was wrap a rag around the mc banjo and crack the bolt while pressing the lever to ensure there wasn't any air trapped at that point (I don't think there was).  Magic.

The only problem is that now I have to learn how to use the rear brake again, and I may actually have to buy rear pads.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 05:47:26 pm by fallzboater » Logged
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 07:02:27 pm »

I found the better, and easy enough, solution here (see posts #6, 7, 8):
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15500

I just bled my rear caliper using the two positions shown (next two posts in thread) and went from 1 1/8" of lever travel (measured at the brake light switch), down to 1/4".  The only other thing I did was wrap a rag around the mc banjo and crack the bolt while pressing the lever to ensure there wasn't any air trapped at that point (I don't think there was).  Magic.

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing for a while. That thread is the gospel. Bigok
It works like a charm. I just need to remember to make it part of my prep before long trips.

Kurt's Smugmug
fallzboater

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 07:54:20 pm »

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing for a while. That thread is the gospel. Bigok
It works like a charm. I just need to remember to make it part of my prep before long trips.

How often do you have to re-bleed?  It seems like if you're careful not to get air in the system when you flush/change the fluid, you shouldn't have to take the caliper back off for quite a while.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 08:10:09 pm »

I have a huge Marsee (old model) strap-on tank bag on mine, and I sometimes also use a courier bag.  There are plenty of tail bags available, and some are probably waterproof.  If I really wanted a hard case in the rear, I think I'd mount a Pelican case to the pillion saddle.  Probably plenty secure if you don't go too large, and easy to pop on and off.  

There are also rack options available.

How about one of these?  My personal favorite.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/raincitysmoothie/IMG_1737.jpg

kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 08:14:23 pm »

How often do you have to re-bleed?  It seems like if you're careful not to get air in the system when you flush/change the fluid, you shouldn't have to take the caliper back off for quite a while.

I've only had to do it a few times, but it always seems to accumulate air when I go for a trip...

Kurt's Smugmug
Dave the slave

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2006 pearly white VFR
GPS: Nirvana
Miles Typed: 768

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 08:34:18 pm »

Didn't want to start a whole new topic for this....  But I kinda wanted to revive this one  Smile

I'd like some more info and feedback on the 2007.5 and newer Tuonos, I've found one for what I THINK is a good deal.  

It's a 2007 with 261 miles on it for about $8500.  Yes that is 261 miles!  Would there be any reason to be extra cautious? Was there anything funky with any 2007.5 bikes?

I really want something new and different (I started a thread about ducatis too -> https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,32905.0.html) and the Aprilia ticks the right boxes too.  

Remember - If at first you don't succeed... don't go skydiving.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »

There's nothing to look for on a 2007 Tuono that you wouldn't look for on any latest generation Aprilia.

And 8500 bones is a fair deal; but I bet he'd take $8,000.  You can buy a brand new one (a leftover) from Moto International in Seattle for $9,500.

If you buy it, ping me and I'll give you the rundown on the most useful mods.  I'm not a pipe and chip guy (the stock T makes plenty of power) but for instance you'll want a 15 tooth front sprocket on it.  Cheap and actually the way the factory wanted to ship them but couldn't for EPA reasons.

Keep us informed...    Bigok

FredE

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '08 Husqvarna 610SM, '07 Kawi ZX10R, '07 FZ1, '07 Tuono, '05 FJR, 1982 Suzuki GS1100E, '00 Triumph Daytona 955i, '96 Duc 944 SS/SP, '02 Bandit 1200, '86 BMW R80RT, '99 KLX300R
Miles Typed: 116

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 01:15:49 am »

Didn't want to start a whole new topic for this....  But I kinda wanted to revive this one  

I'd like some more info and feedback on the 2007.5 and newer Tuonos, I've found one for what I THINK is a good deal.  

It's a 2007 with 261 miles on it for about $8500.  Yes that is 261 miles!  Would there be any reason to be extra cautious? Was there anything funky with any 2007.5 bikes?

Dave, I think you'd really enjoy the Tuono.....it's the perfect compliment to the ZX10R.  

That virtually unused 2007 is being offered at a good price - but I too would offer less...........it's a soft seller's market right now, especially for niche brands like Aprilia.  Hey, it doesn't hurt to try.

As far as quirks/problems, there are a few - but easily/cheaply corrected ones.

1. Too tall gearing - already mentioned..........-1 on the front fixes that.  Mine came with the 15 tooth in the cowl compartment.
2. Spotty rear brake - it needs to be bled properly.  If you wind up buying it, look on AF1's site for the bleeding step-by-step.  Having done it on mine, I can tell you it works.  Costs you an hour of your time, and some brake fluid.
3. The "Brown Connector".............behind the coolant bottle & cover on the right side of the bike - it tends to melt, causing the bike to sap the battery.  You just cut the wires entering/exiting the brown plug-type connector, then re-join them with 16 GA butt connectors - EZPZ, 123Z.  This one sets you back $5 for the connectors and some electrical tape.
4. Rear shock linkage has been known (in a very few cases) to break.  You can buy replacements (around $40) from a couple of different sources - got mine from AF1.  They are also an easy replacement...........worth it IMHO, for the peace of mind.  This fix aslo takes around an hour of time, give or take.
5. Misting dashes/guages - some have them, some don't.  My originals had the misting problem, but the warranty replacements have been mist-free.

Other than that, my T has been flawless.

MilleArp
Microbrew Snob

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2009 K1300GT, 2009 Suzuki DR-Z400S, and soon a S1XR??
GPS: 2 close 2 Detroit
Miles Typed: 641

My Photo Gallery

BEER GOOD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 12:34:40 pm »

In my garage, the 2007 Tuono has made my BMW R1100S obsolete.  I'd rather tour on the Tuono.....  

Headscratch

Headscratch

I have a Mille-R (for sale, btw), love it.  23k miles, original owner, Ti Akro dualies and all.

I have a R1100S, second one, have over 75,000 miles on R11Ss.

I have lusted after a Tuono.

But.......  Headscratch A Tuono "replacing" my R11S ?  I just don't see it!
No ABS.
No heated grips.
MUCH less wind/rain protection.
R11S gives you hand protection via fairing
Lockable factory hard luggage that is as far in, and far forward as possible to give better CG.

You can tack on tankbags and soft-luggage or Givi's to anything, and call it some vartiation of a xxxxx-tourer.

All that sed............ I still want a TUONO ! ! ! !   Inlove

Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 02:00:33 pm »

Dave, I think you'd really enjoy the Tuono.....it's the perfect compliment to the ZX10R.  

That virtually unused 2007 is being offered at a good price - but I too would offer less...........it's a soft seller's market right now, especially for niche brands like Aprilia.  Hey, it doesn't hurt to try.

As far as quirks/problems, there are a few - but easily/cheaply corrected ones.

1. Too tall gearing - already mentioned..........-1 on the front fixes that.  Mine came with the 15 tooth in the cowl compartment.
2. Spotty rear brake - it needs to be bled properly.  If you wind up buying it, look on AF1's site for the bleeding step-by-step.  Having done it on mine, I can tell you it works.  Costs you an hour of your time, and some brake fluid.
3. The "Brown Connector".............behind the coolant bottle & cover on the right side of the bike - it tends to melt, causing the bike to sap the battery.  You just cut the wires entering/exiting the brown plug-type connector, then re-join them with 16 GA butt connectors - EZPZ, 123Z.  This one sets you back $5 for the connectors and some electrical tape.
4. Rear shock linkage has been known (in a very few cases) to break.  You can buy replacements (around $40) from a couple of different sources - got mine from AF1.  They are also an easy replacement...........worth it IMHO, for the peace of mind.  This fix aslo takes around an hour of time, give or take.
5. Misting dashes/guages - some have them, some don't.  My originals had the misting problem, but the warranty replacements have been mist-free.

Other than that, my T has been flawless.

Hey FredE, I'm glad you posted up... I was gonna PM you and ask how well the ZX10 and the Tuono go together.  Particularly after all your comfort modifications to the 10.

So, ARE they different enough even WITH the speigler kit and vortex rearsets?  I guess I'm concerned that once I do the mods to the 10 it would be like having 2 bikes that are standards.  Of course the engines are two different worlds!

Post up some more about the Tuono compared to the 10R or PM me.

Oh... One more question:  If it comes with a 15 tooth front sprocket as a spare, which front sprocket gives you the correct speedo reading?  Would I need a speedo-healer?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:23:21 pm by Dave the slave » Logged

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 05:06:56 pm »

Headscratch A Tuono "replacing" my R11S ?  I just don't see it!
No ABS.
No heated grips.
MUCH less wind/rain protection.
R11S gives you hand protection via fairing
Lockable factory hard luggage that is as far in, and far forward as possible to give better CG.

You can tack on tankbags and soft-luggage or Givi's to anything, and call it some vartiation of a xxxxx-tourer.

All that sed............ I still want a TUONO ! ! ! !   Inlove

Well, as mystifying as it might be, it's true.   The R1100S is indeed a beautiful, charismatic machine.  And the T doesn't come with ABS.  And mine doesn't have heated grips, although I suppose you could mount them.   But.....

Wind protection is overrated.  In my Aerostich one-piece with the electric liner cranked up, I can ride in as cold weather as I'd care to ride in.  I'm good down to 40F or so on long trips, and if it's colder than that I won't ride more than 20 miles on a motorbike anyway.  Rain?  Well, we rode through a bunch of rain on the Chester WCRM and I was plenty dry.

Hard luggage?  Well, the BMW's is ace.  But I tour with less and less stuff as the years wear on.  My goal is to be able to ride up to a given stop, get off the bike and walk away with all my gear.  No tank bag, no luggage, just me, the bike and a backpack of some kind.

On the John Day WCRM last September I toured on my Mille R with just a messenger bag.  And I actually overpacked a little.   Bigok

The Tuono is about 100 pounds lighter than the BMW, too.  I've got OZ wheels on mine now, difference is maybe 120 pounds.  The T is light and nimble as a Chicago cockroach.

So long story, but I sold my R1100S, beautiful and solid as it was, and I still have the Tuono.  If I could only have one bike it would be the Tuono every time.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/raincitysmoothie/IMG_1478.jpg
Tuono in full tour mode.

Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 05:37:16 pm »

Mr. Smooth, do you have much experience with recent liter class sportbikes?  If so what's your take on the comparison of the Tuono and liter bikes.  Personal and anecdotal experience is perfect...  

FredE

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '08 Husqvarna 610SM, '07 Kawi ZX10R, '07 FZ1, '07 Tuono, '05 FJR, 1982 Suzuki GS1100E, '00 Triumph Daytona 955i, '96 Duc 944 SS/SP, '02 Bandit 1200, '86 BMW R80RT, '99 KLX300R

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 11:02:58 pm »

Hey FredE, I'm glad you posted up... I was gonna PM you and ask how well the ZX10 and the Tuono go together.  Particularly after all your comfort modifications to the 10.

So, ARE they different enough even WITH the speigler kit and vortex rearsets?  I guess I'm concerned that once I do the mods to the 10 it would be like having 2 bikes that are standards.  Of course the engines are two different worlds!

Post up some more about the Tuono compared to the 10R or PM me.

Oh... One more question:  If it comes with a 15 tooth front sprocket as a spare, which front sprocket gives you the correct speedo reading?  Would I need a speedo-healer?

Dave, the Ten (with the mods I've fitted) and the T are two different answers to the same question.........both of them correct.  The question being: What relatively light bike will haul ass, handle well, look good, and be comfortable all at the same time......with reliability & sport-touring capability? (also keeping in mind that we'd like to stay relatively high on the performance foodchain)

The Ten is the hammer, and the T is the scalpel............to simplify matters.  The Kwak's brutish motor and absolutely scary top-end rush make it the day's choice when you're needing that adrenalin rush kind of ride.  Not that the ZX10R can't be ridden with decorum - it will perform at a sedate pace if necessary.  Sometimes just knowing that (at your whim) you can light the rear tire, loft the front wheel, and run wailing away from most anything else on the highway is enough.

The Tuono has a differing character..........it's been the most willing partner in finding the fast line through the turns that I've ever owned - and I've had more than a few bikes.  The T corners almost intuitively, and requires less effort to operate at pace than any of my other bikes - by far.  You don't have to muscle the Tuono.......it WANTS to corner.  

As you know, the Ten requires a judicious throttle hand when approaching corner exits.......too much too soon, and - Houston, we have launch!  The Tuono lets you access more of the throttle earlier in the corner, without the fear of dire consequences.  I guess a guy could highside a T - but you'd have to really be ham-fisted to do it.  The Tuono is a much more compliant, forgiving performance platform than the Ten..........which on some days is a welcome thing.

Then there's the whole V-twin vs. I-4 thing............they really are quite markedly different in character.  The Ten is all cold, quick, brutal efficiency - and the Tuono sort of sneaks up on you.....you don't feel like you're going that quickly, but you are.  The motor pulses, vibrations, sounds, and power delivery are vastly differing - but perform (relatively) the same task.  Chocolate and vanilla - apples and oranges - blondes and brunettes, it's nice being able to choose.

If you can swing keeping the Ten and the T, I say go for it - they differ enough in character/performance/look/sound/feel to keep you well interested in the pair of them.  

As far as the which front sprocket is the more accurate with the stock dash - I really don't know.  I just went -1 on the front, switched from metric to the USA readout - and forgot about it.  I'm sure you could do a search on AF1's site and find out more.  As far as that goes, AF1's site is a good resource for all things Aprilia - here's a linky:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/        

bikefreak47

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '94 CB1000,'97 Bandit 1200,'98 Superhawk,'99ZRX1100,'02 FZ-1,'02 Ducati Foggy Monster 916, '02 Ducati 998 Monoposto,'06 Speed Triple,,'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910R Gladio,'07 Tuono,'07 Bimota DB6 Delirio,'08 ZX-10R, '08 SuperDuke
Miles Typed: 145

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 10:08:35 am »

Well put Fred. My '07 Tuono is the most confidence inspiring road bike I've ever owned. Well built and engineered, comfortable, full of personality, and a joy to examine closely. When I ride my '08 ZX-10R I always listen to the little voice that says, "Be cool fool." The powerplant is just outrageous but still has impeccable fueling. But both are far more competent than I'll ever be....
Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 04:21:43 pm »

So it turns out this might be a dealer demo bike... If that's true, what are the chances it's been broken in properly?

Anyone gotta guess?  I know I don't wheelie demos or other harsh stuff, but I don't keep the RPM's low either.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 07:10:42 am »

So it turns out this might be a dealer demo bike... If that's true, what are the chances it's been broken in properly?

Anyone gotta guess?  I know I don't wheelie demos or other harsh stuff, but I don't keep the RPM's low either.

My 2000 RSV Mille was a demo with about 5 or 6 hundred miles on it, from Mototech in Austin, Tx.

They had taken pretty good care of it.

Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 03:39:53 pm »

Well, I haven't got the Tuono yet..... but here's a little update... and I'll start a new thread if it pans out......

I've made a low (albeit reasonable given economy etc) offer on a new left over 2007 RSV Factory.

xbud

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 07:42:37 pm »

Hope it works out for you Dave. When I started this thread I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a leftover 2007.5 Tuono, then the economic slide started to worsen, and like every other American I hesitated on a lot of purchases. Now I am glad I did, the economic front seems to be deepening.

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 11:30:27 pm »

Well, I haven't got the Tuono yet..... but here's a little update... and I'll start a new thread if it pans out......

I've made a low (albeit reasonable given economy etc) offer on a new left over 2007 RSV Factory.

Dave, that's a great bike, too.   Thumbsup

Moto International in Seattle had one for stupid money, just a few hundred more than the base RSV.  And the Factory has the nice wheels and the Ohlins rear shock and various carbon bits.

You can't go wrong with the RSV Factory.   However, I've got a pristine yellow sportbike for sunny days and a black 2007 Tuono, and if I could only have one...it would be the black one.  Black like my sooooooooooul.   Lol

Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 09:35:23 am »

Dave, that's a great bike, too.   Thumbsup

Moto International in Seattle had one for stupid money, just a few hundred more than the base RSV.  And the Factory has the nice wheels and the Ohlins rear shock and various carbon bits.

You can't go wrong with the RSV Factory.   However, I've got a pristine yellow sportbike for sunny days and a black 2007 Tuono, and if I could only have one...it would be the black one.  Black like my sooooooooooul.   Lol

You like the Tuono that much?  Really?  Hmmmmmm..... well the stealership didn't like my offer on the RSV Factory anyway.  Rolleyes  maybe it's back to plan "A".  I guess I just need a test ride Bigok

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 06:03:30 pm »

You like the Tuono that much?  Really?  Hmmmmmm..... well the stealership didn't like my offer on the RSV Factory anyway.  Rolleyes  maybe it's back to plan "A".  I guess I just need a test ride Bigok

Anytime you're in Seattle, you can ride mine.   Bigok

Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »

Took a test ride yesterday.  It was pretty short, but here are some really quick observations of a few minor issues.  Please tell me what you have done for solutions to these minor issues:

Okay - the rear brake really DOES suck.  Worst rear brake I have ever tried, it was literally non-existent (this solution I already know)
Low RPM fueling surged a bit (is PCIII needed or are there other ECU fixes for this?)
Geared to high (obvious fix - but what gearing is recommended?)
Difficult to find neutral (except when I DIDN'T want to find neutral  Rolleyes )
Mirrors seemed to lack the adjustment that I needed (maybe more fiddling would solve this one)

That's it.

Otherwise a very nice SOLID feeling ride.  Does $8700 sound fair for a total OTD price?  Finally, how do I know if it's a 2007 or a 2007.5?

Thanks everyone, if I get this new ride I'll start a new thread and post up pics! Cool

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 02:28:47 pm »

Difficult to find neutral (except when I DIDN'T want to find neutral  Rolleyes )

My Mille's transmission is pretty Japanese like.

Was that a demo you tested? Maybe it's had a rough life.

Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 02:50:14 pm »

My Mille's transmission is pretty Japanese like.

Was that a demo you tested? Maybe it's had a rough life.

I think it IS a demo, but it is the exact bike they would be selling me.  It's very clean otherwise and I looked very hard to see if there were any hidden signs of abuse.  All in All it appeared to be very clean and well cared for.  Total miles AFTER my test ride were 269, so it's not had much opportunity for a rough life.  It might be that I'm just not used to the lever travel, it seems a bit longer than my zx10.

Overall though I'm inclined to buy it.

traveler

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Honda VFR 2000
Miles Typed: 1810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »

Otherwise a very nice SOLID feeling ride.  Does $8700 sound fair for a total OTD price?  

That's a lot of bike for that price. If I really liked how it rode and performed, it would be hard to turn down that deal, assuming it does come with a warranty from Aprilia. After a few minor fixes (sounds like Moto Guzzi Lol), they're supposed to be very reliable, so I've heard.

I wonder if any of the fluids have ever been changed?
FredE

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 09:24:38 pm »

Low RPM fueling surged a bit (is PCIII needed or are there other ECU fixes for this?)

Slip-ons & Map2...........already loaded in the bike - just needs to be activated by use of the Axione hand-held.  Any dealer worth their salt (!) can do this.  Also remove the restrictor at the front of the airbox, where it meets the cutout (ram-air passageway) in the frame.....easy to do.  Pm me if you wind up buying it, and need some further info/help.

Difficult to find neutral (except when I DIDN'T want to find neutral)

Total miles AFTER my test ride were 269

It's not broken in yet............it will get MUCH better.

Mirrors seemed to lack the adjustment that I needed (maybe more fiddling would solve this one)

Unless you like looking at your shoulders, get some bar-ends........I went with CRGs.

$8700 OTD for this bike?  Yeah, that's a more than fair deal.............WAAAAAAAAAAY less than I paid for mine - but then, I had one of the first Gen IIs in the country.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:28:04 pm by FredE » Logged
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 10:34:10 pm »

Took a test ride yesterday.  It was pretty short, but here are some really quick observations of a few minor issues.  Please tell me what you have done for solutions to these minor issues:

Okay - the rear brake really DOES suck.  Worst rear brake I have ever tried, it was literally non-existent (this solution I already know)

That's it.

Otherwise a very nice SOLID feeling ride.  Does $8700 sound fair for a total OTD price?  Finally, how do I know if it's a 2007 or a 2007.5?

Rear brake is a bleeding issue.  The Aprilia forum has a detailed explanation of how to do it.  Some folk have just hung a brick from the pedal overnight and the problem goes away (!).  Mine works fine; I don't use much rear brake anyway so it's no big deal, but mine does work.  The rear on my Mille works fine, too.

Yeah, there's a lean point in the rev range.  Just switching to a 15 tooth front sprocket (from the USA version's 16 tooth) makes a tremendous difference.  Not only is it the original factory gearing, but it puts that lean spot in a place where you never use it.

Gearing?   See above.  My Tuono came with a 15 tooth in the seat cowl.  They used to do that.

Finding neutral can be an issue, especially when the bike is new.    Just slipping down into neutral from second when the bike is moving is the trick.  Fitting an Evoluzione slave cylinder ($180) helps a lot.

FWIW, my 2001 Mille has the Evo slave and finding neutral is no big.  My 2007 Tuono has about 13,000 miles on it and finding neutral is easy now.

Never had a problem with the mirrors.

As to 2007 versus 2007.5, there were slightly different paint schemes but I think the easiest way to tell is the back seat.  The 2007 has a back seat with little plastic grab rails (and came with a seat cowl from the factory).  The 2007.5 has a single piece back seat pad (no grab rails), and the seat cowl is an accessory.

Also, the 2007 has four pad radial Brembos.  I think it was 2007.5 when they went to two pad radial Brembos.  I guess that would make the 2007 about a nanojoule sexier, like any of us can tell the difference between 'em.   Rolleyes

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2009, 10:36:59 pm »

Oh, and $8,700 is dirt cheap.  If you want one, jump on that.  Cool

Purebred liter-sized Italian exotica with a two year warranty for the price of a Japanese 600cc supersport?  Sometimes the recession ain't so bad.  

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 04:59:58 am »

It's not broken in yet............it will get MUCH better.

that jogged my memory.

while I didn't have a problem with false neutrals, the transmission did feel kind of rough or tight.

it did get smoother as the miles accumulated  Thumbsup

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 05:10:33 pm »

My goal is to be able to ride up to a given stop, get off the bike and walk away with all my gear.  No tank bag, no luggage, just me, the bike and a backpack of some kind.

A little thread jack.. but you don't carry any type of emergency tools eg flat tyre repair kit with compressor? I know people who just use a AAA card and credit card for this, but sometimes stuff happens out of cell phone range and/or you don't want to wait 3 hours for the truck to show up.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 05:15:04 pm »

Hard luggage?  Well, the BMW's is ace.  But I tour with less and less stuff as the years wear on.  My goal is to be able to ride up to a given stop, get off the bike and walk away with all my gear.  No tank bag, no luggage, just me, the bike and a backpack of some kind.

that's also my goal, however, I prefer a tank bag to a backpack  Smile

Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »

Okay, I'm this -><- close to buying a Tuono Factory....  I'm not quite there.... anyone wanna try and push me over the edge OR bring me back from the edge of insanity??!!!

traveler

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Honda VFR 2000
Miles Typed: 1810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 08:54:10 pm »

Push Lol

Just do it and get it over with. You know you want it.

Simple.
Buy. Ride. Enjoy.
Virginian

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure, '09 Yamaha Tmax
GPS: The Virginian
Miles Typed: 1984

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 08:47:19 am »

Dave the slave... dude!!!11!!1! Go demo it one more time and the push will come from the Tuono! Sweet bike at a sweet deal with a rock solid drive train. What color combo is it?

Eric

When the world ends, the only thing left will be cockroaches riding Guzzis. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/MotoPhoto2009/BurgerRun2009/BurgerRun2009_128.jpg
scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:26 am »

That's it.

Thanks everyone, if I get this new ride I'll start a new thread and post up pics! Cool

I am about to commit a serious crime: I will speak openly and honestly about my Aprilia experience. Lol
First, leave the rear brake alone.  WTH are you thinking? Lol  Rear brakes are supposed to suck because they do nothing to stop the bike.  If you want to supermoto the thing, that's another story. Bigsmile
The low end surge comes from the bike being EPA compliant.  Go to AF1racing and read about the simple way to uncork the thing.  Problem solved.
You can also read about the various reasons the bike doesn't want to find neutral at AF1 but having owned a Falco for a few years I can tell you I found this to be a pain in the ass.  The clutch slave sucks and needs to be replaced every 7-10,000 miles.  This is a $200 part (If memory serves) and the system needs to be bled frequently (Figure at least twice per riding season).  This is easy to do and requires little time.  Shifting action is greatly improved once the clutch is properly bled.  The Tuono uses the same vacuum operated back-torque limiting clutch as the Falco.  I believe this has something to do with why the bike doesn't like to find neutral.  A few times on the Falco I had to kill the engine to find neutral so this supports my theory.
I think $8700 is pretty damned good.  Buy the thing. Wink

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
fxrbill

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2006 ST1300A, 2002 SL1000 Falco
GPS: Boise Id
Miles Typed: 415

My Photo Gallery

AKA Gem STate ST

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 02:28:15 pm »

Okay, I'm this -><- close to buying a Tuono Factory....  I'm not quite there.... anyone wanna try and push me over the edge OR bring me back from the edge of insanity??!!!

Okay it's been 8 days,I'm waiting for the pics. Razz Razz

One less Harley
Dave the slave

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 07:52:14 pm »

Okay it's been 8 days,I'm waiting for the pics. Razz Razz

right right!!!  Sorry I've been distracted, I got a bunch of swag for my ZX10R and I've been installing stuff etc.  As for the Tuono Factory, it's a no go... just to damned expensive.  BUT the Tuono here locally for $8700 is still on the table.  I just haven't moved on it.  Truth be told I want a "different bike"  so the Tuono, KTM Super Duke, and Speed Triple are all in the running.  the biggest issue I have with buying Aprilia is there is only ONE dealer in my state... and I don't think they're really great.

Sean

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 GSXR, 08 Tuono
Miles Typed: 179

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 03:02:36 pm »

that jogged my memory.

while I didn't have a problem with false neutrals, the transmission did feel kind of rough or tight.

it did get smoother as the miles accumulated  Thumbsup

I had the false neutrals on my 7.5, but they were able to fix it for me at no cost.  
ASV levers solved the late clutch engagement issue and they look sweet too.

I never ride the gsxr anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal