Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono  (Read 38651 times)

xbud

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Yamaha Super Tenere
GPS: Greensburg, PA
Miles Typed: 368

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:43:57 pm »

I have been eyeing the Aprilia Tuono for some time. I like the looks especially with an Ermax Windscreen, Akropovic Titanium Exhaust, and bar end mirrors. It has a more upright seating position than the Ducati ST4 I currently ride. The wife does'nt ride with me anymore and I never have the oppertunity for overnight trips so the ST4 is not utilized as much as I would like....I guess my question is, is the Tuono worth the switch?

Also keep in mind I can get a smoking deal on the 2007.5 leftover in the Dream Blue and Aprilia still has the 6.9% finincing until 06/30/08

"Sometimes when you look into his eyes, you get the feeling someone else is driving."
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:57:03 am »

In my garage, the 2007 Tuono has made my BMW R1100S obsolete.  I'd rather tour on the Tuono.   Thumbsup Thumbsup

And for short hops, it's just fine two-up.  My 14 year old and I just got back from riding it to the video store.

Does that help?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/raincitysmoothie/tuono.jpg

Tuono lounging around in rural Oregon.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Tuono, KTMs
GPS: Bend, OR USA
Miles Typed: 1544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:36:50 am »

When I bought my 04 Tuono, I was in the  same boat with my Sprint ST. Not enough touring to justify the extra 100+ pounds of bike.

The Tuono makes a fine short trip tourer.

Norcal, en-route to STN WCRM IV - loaded with camping gear even...

Through eastern WA from Grand Coulee Dam last year

And what makes the Touno... the same trip, the day before meeting up with the rest of the STN crew...PIR

Just note that when changing your oil after a track day and before a long trip, it's tough to judge oil level when in a rush...Mr Smooth has that picture I think... (operation-drain-some-oil atop windy ridge) Lol

Is it worth the switch? It depends. I still have my ST but it sadly sees more Stabil and trickle charging than road miles.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:08:46 pm by kurtw » Logged

Kurt's Smugmug
Advertisement

xbud

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:24:15 pm »

That helps a great deal, I just can't see the need for the Sport Touring bike anymore.....I love the pics. I was thinking the same thing with the soft side bags Kurt, those look great by the way. Inlove How is the stock seat for touring?? What are the maintenance intervals on the valve adjustment?? I appreciate the feedback.

"Sometimes when you look into his eyes, you get the feeling someone else is driving."
Mookie
1/31/07 Never forget

Reputation -363

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: Slotard and a Duke
GPS: land of the sea chickens
Miles Typed: 7831

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:35:02 pm »

If the stock seat was anything like my Falco's it's not bad for a stock sport bike. The Sargent aftermarket seat is quite nice btw.

12k per valve check though I've never actually heard of anyone ever needing to actually have them adjusted.  Changing the oil is kind of a convoluted process, but it is a dry sump motor so I suppose you get some plusses and some minuses with that (but on a bike so easy to wheelie, dry sump is good  Thumbsup).

I'd definitely vote to make the switch if you can get a good deal.  The only weak(ish) part of a stock Tuono is the rear shock.  If you can budget in for a fully adjustable fancy shock, or just a stock Mille shock, you'll be in business.

Mookie, the king of stupid Obamunist trolls on STN.
-FiremanBob
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:48:11 pm »

That helps a great deal, I just can't see the need for the Sport Touring bike anymore.....I love the pics. I was thinking the same thing with the soft side bags Kurt, those look great by the way. Inlove How is the stock seat for touring?? What are the maintenance intervals on the valve adjustment?? I appreciate the feedback.

The stock seat is great. Firm, broad, and comfortable for me. Ergos are really good though I wish I had more room to adjust bar position. You might have that with the smaller front fairing. The windscreen, might be a comfort issue if you are cruising above 75 for extended periods. Knees might be an issue as the pegs put your legs in a pretty sporty position (fixable with adjustable pegs if so).

10k (12k? can't remember) valve checks, rarely need adjustment.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:09:30 pm by kurtw » Logged

Kurt's Smugmug
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:03 pm »

I mentioned a few of the annoyances about touring on the Tuono in atypical's which bike thread. It's not built to be a tourer so there are bound to be some niggles.

You may need to top off oil between oil changes (it blows some off into the airbox via the breather and probably burns a little bit). The rear brake is a design issue, developing air bubbles in the caliper due to the caliper being mounted higher than the master cyclinder (by the end of a tour, I may feel my rear brake fading). It's not hard to bleed if you dismount the caliper and bleed from a few different positions.

Reliability of the rotax engine is very good. It's an amazing package.

Kurt's Smugmug
xbud

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:16 pm »

Thanks Kurt, Mookie, and MisterSmooth, I have been following along on the AF1 Forum for info as well....I appreciate the responses.

Bunbun
The Bun

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 02 Blackbird
GPS: College Station, TX
Miles Typed: 570

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 08:59:54 pm »

I got to swap bikes with a friend that owned a tuono.  Rode it for about 100 miles and absolutely loved it.  One of the most memorable times was passing a truck and nailing the throttle at 40-50ish and having the front wheel pop up without effort.  Freakin' awesome bike. Don't think I'd want to pull a 5-600 mile day on it, but as a canyon carver or general purpose bike, I'd definitely get one.

Bun
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 10:58:54 pm »

I got to swap bikes with a friend that owned a tuono.  Rode it for about 100 miles and absolutely loved it.  One of the most memorable times was passing a truck and nailing the throttle at 40-50ish and having the front wheel pop up without effort.  Freakin' awesome bike. Don't think I'd want to pull a 5-600 mile day on it, but as a canyon carver or general purpose bike, I'd definitely get one.

Bun

I've done multiple 480 mile days on mine (although not back to back; longest back to back was 480 followed by about 350).  With the stock seat.

It was fine.  I think my max range on the Tuono is about that, though, about 500 miles.  After that it would seem like work, and that's no good.

At my age 500 miles in a day on a motorbike is enough anyway...

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Dan K

Reputation 110

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:51:33 pm »

Always wanted one, and a buddy bought a blue and white 2007.5.  Great bike.  With the upgraded exhaust and remapped injection, it is more bike than anyone would need, or maybe even want.

BUT - can they be fitted with hard luggage without a bunch of custom fabrication?  I've looked a bit, and while I've seen soft bags, I'd be using it as a daily commuter and a decent sized top case would be a necessity.

Anyone familiar with a Tuono having hard bags?  What about first generation Tuono?

Very curious - may go shopping.  Was going to add a cruiser, but if the Tuono can do it, I may sell the FZ1 and become an Aprilia man.

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
fallzboater

Reputation 10

GPS: Hood River, OR
Miles Typed: 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:06:07 pm »

You may need to top off oil between oil changes (it blows some off into the airbox via the breather and probably burns a little bit). The rear brake is a design issue, developing air bubbles in the caliper due to the caliper being mounted higher than the master cyclinder (by the end of a tour, I may feel my rear brake fading). It's not hard to bleed if you dismount the caliper and bleed from a few different positions.

Very easy to overfill the oil reservoir.  The level will change quite a bit while running, due to transfer between the reservoir and sump.  If there's any oil visible in the sight tube with the motor off, I don't add more.  If you run the level higher, I think it mostly goes into the airbox.

The easy solution to the rear brake is to forget about it.  I only ever use it in the wet.  The twin has tons of engine braking compared with most other bikes.  I suppose with a pillion or loaded rear bags the rear brake might be a bit more useful.

My only issue with long rides is the short seat-peg distance, and minimal wind protection (great in summer).  
fallzboater

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:24 pm »

BUT - can they be fitted with hard luggage without a bunch of custom fabrication?  I've looked a bit, and while I've seen soft bags, I'd be using it as a daily commuter and a decent sized top case would be a necessity.

I have a huge Marsee (old model) strap-on tank bag on mine, and I sometimes also use a courier bag.  There are plenty of tail bags available, and some are probably waterproof.  If I really wanted a hard case in the rear, I think I'd mount a Pelican case to the pillion saddle.  Probably plenty secure if you don't go too large, and easy to pop on and off.  

There are also rack options available.
http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/sports_racks.htm
fallzboater

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 05:40:44 pm »

The easy solution to the rear brake is to forget about it.

I found the better, and easy enough, solution here (see posts #6, 7, 8):
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15500

I just bled my rear caliper using the two positions shown (next two posts in thread) and went from 1 1/8" of lever travel (measured at the brake light switch), down to 1/4".  The only other thing I did was wrap a rag around the mc banjo and crack the bolt while pressing the lever to ensure there wasn't any air trapped at that point (I don't think there was).  Magic.

The only problem is that now I have to learn how to use the rear brake again, and I may actually have to buy rear pads.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 05:47:26 pm by fallzboater » Logged
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 07:02:27 pm »

I found the better, and easy enough, solution here (see posts #6, 7, 8):
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15500

I just bled my rear caliper using the two positions shown (next two posts in thread) and went from 1 1/8" of lever travel (measured at the brake light switch), down to 1/4".  The only other thing I did was wrap a rag around the mc banjo and crack the bolt while pressing the lever to ensure there wasn't any air trapped at that point (I don't think there was).  Magic.

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing for a while. That thread is the gospel. Bigok
It works like a charm. I just need to remember to make it part of my prep before long trips.

Kurt's Smugmug
fallzboater

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 07:54:20 pm »

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing for a while. That thread is the gospel. Bigok
It works like a charm. I just need to remember to make it part of my prep before long trips.

How often do you have to re-bleed?  It seems like if you're careful not to get air in the system when you flush/change the fluid, you shouldn't have to take the caliper back off for quite a while.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 08:10:09 pm »

I have a huge Marsee (old model) strap-on tank bag on mine, and I sometimes also use a courier bag.  There are plenty of tail bags available, and some are probably waterproof.  If I really wanted a hard case in the rear, I think I'd mount a Pelican case to the pillion saddle.  Probably plenty secure if you don't go too large, and easy to pop on and off.  

There are also rack options available.

How about one of these?  My personal favorite.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/raincitysmoothie/IMG_1737.jpg

kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 08:14:23 pm »

How often do you have to re-bleed?  It seems like if you're careful not to get air in the system when you flush/change the fluid, you shouldn't have to take the caliper back off for quite a while.

I've only had to do it a few times, but it always seems to accumulate air when I go for a trip...

Kurt's Smugmug
Dave the slave

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2006 pearly white VFR
GPS: Nirvana
Miles Typed: 768

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 08:34:18 pm »

Didn't want to start a whole new topic for this....  But I kinda wanted to revive this one  Smile

I'd like some more info and feedback on the 2007.5 and newer Tuonos, I've found one for what I THINK is a good deal.  

It's a 2007 with 261 miles on it for about $8500.  Yes that is 261 miles!  Would there be any reason to be extra cautious? Was there anything funky with any 2007.5 bikes?

I really want something new and different (I started a thread about ducatis too -> https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,32905.0.html) and the Aprilia ticks the right boxes too.  

Remember - If at first you don't succeed... don't go skydiving.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »

There's nothing to look for on a 2007 Tuono that you wouldn't look for on any latest generation Aprilia.

And 8500 bones is a fair deal; but I bet he'd take $8,000.  You can buy a brand new one (a leftover) from Moto International in Seattle for $9,500.

If you buy it, ping me and I'll give you the rundown on the most useful mods.  I'm not a pipe and chip guy (the stock T makes plenty of power) but for instance you'll want a 15 tooth front sprocket on it.  Cheap and actually the way the factory wanted to ship them but couldn't for EPA reasons.

Keep us informed...    Bigok

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal