Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Where to park my bike near Kiawah Island, SC?  (Read 4003 times)

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:05:40 am »

My family has been vacationing on Kiawah Island, South Carolina for over 20 years. (They're renters, not owners.) I've been going down there with them on and off over the years, but I've always driven down.

This year, due to insane gas prices, I thought I'd ride the motorcycle down to join the family for a long weekend...but NOOOO---the snootie rich bastards on Kiawah do not allow motorcycles on the island.  Mad2 Apparently the noise and sight of motorcycles offends their delicate sensibilities. (For those who aren't familiar with Kiawah, houses there start at $3 million.) Either that, or like most of the population, Kiawah Islanders equate "motorcycles" with "Loud Harleys."

So I'm thinking I might just ride down anyway and try to find someplace just off the island where I can leave the bike for 2-3 days. I wish I could leave it in a garage...(I know, I'm spoiled by my garage at home)...but heck, even a parking lot in a safe area would probably be okay (and I could pack a cover for the bike).

If anyone knows that area at all and has any suggestions, let me know!

Thanks,
Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

TRaGiK

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2002 FZ1
GPS: Central NC
Miles Typed: 621

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:15:32 pm »

Are you kidding me???

I visited Kiawah last year with the inlaws. I'm supposed to go back down this year, and was going to take the bike. I had no idea they didn't like bikes.

Looks like I won't be going back this year. Smile
tjhess74
Burning old dinosaurs is what I do

Reputation -17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: North Charleston, SC
Miles Typed: 2160

My Photo Gallery

two of my favorite things...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 11:15:42 pm »

im in north charleston, you can park it in my garage next to my c14 and my friends cb750.  not exactly next door but close enough i guess.  really, no bikes on kiawah?  if they accept fed/state money for road maint. they cannot ban a federally regulated vehicle, no matter what the type (provided you havent changed any factory items or added non dot approved upgrades).  if its private property then i guess your sol. let me know, ill be around. 843.697.3632 tom.

i ride.  to work, to home, to the store, to kill time.  doesn't matter when, what the weather, or with who.  i ride.

Iron Butt Association #30337
Advertisement

dark_isz
◄─┤۞├─►

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2007 Yamaha FZ6
GPS: Charleston, SC
Miles Typed: 830

My Photo Gallery

What we think, we become.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:15:53 am »

Yeah, Kiawah is like the epitome of a "Gated Community". Not only is there a 24hr manned security gate on the only road leading onto the island, but it's a freakin island! Plus, the development company owns the entire island, which is it's own township. Yep, nice place to visit...

I was just riding down there yesterday and noticed a storage facility about 5 miles from the Kiawah gate. The closest commercial lot is the Freshfields shopping plaza, or whatever. Looked like the kind of place that would tow a bike if left overnight. I was able to ride my bike up the the gate, but turned around at the sales office before I made it to the guards. They may let you park in the parking lot of the sales office, could be worth a call to the gatehouse to see?

If I'm in town when you're down here, I could also make room in my garage. I am in West Ashley, about 45 minutes from Kiawah.

2007 Yamaha FZ6
It is better to travel well than to arrive. ~Buddha
meh
photomd
Thread Killa

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '06, '08
GPS: In the Land of Cotton (SC)
Miles Typed: 2146

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:20:55 am »

I'm fairly sure you can leave it at the gate, but if you don't feel comfortable with that you're welcome to a spot in my garage as well. I could throw a rock and hit the intersection of I20 and I95 (Florence, SC). If that's convenient, just drop me a PM and we'll get ya taken care of.  Also PM me when you're gonna be there. We'll be at the beach later this summer and you're welcome to park it Garden City if our vacations are the same week.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:25:50 am by photomd » Logged

98 CR250
96 R1100RS
88 R100RS 79 V-1000SP
CafeTBird
Limey Lovin' Member

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1996 Triumph T-Bird Cafe Racer, 1996 Triumph Super III, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T, 1973 Triumph TR7RV, 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR
GPS: Holly Springs, NC
Miles Typed: 501

My Photo Gallery

Bound for the Playground...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 11:21:14 am »

Yep, I am sure you can largely blame the loud Harleys and the Myrtle Beach Bike Weeks on this mostly.  There are many condo complexes down in Myrtle Beach now that don't allow motorcycles for this reason....

Scot Dail, IBA #31533
http://www.dothetontriangle.com
"A thoroughbred Cafe Racer will ride all night through a fog storm in freeway traffic to put himself into wha
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:46:32 am »

Thanks *very* much everyone for the generous offers of a place to keep the bike.  Thumbsup I'm going to give Kiawah a call and haggle with them, see if they suggest leaving the bike outside the gate (at the gas station there, which would be safe). There's also the Bohicket Marina Village, which has a good-sized, well-lit parking lot.

But if everyone acts like a jerk about it, I'll be in touch!  Thumbsup

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:02:41 pm »

This is just the tip of the iceburg of sportbikes and cruisers with straight pipes ruining it for the rest of us.  

A customer of mine owns a house there and asked me down last year.  When I found out I couldn't ride on the island, I told him, "thanks, but no thanks."  
TaylorMara

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Taylor
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 03:33:02 pm »

Is anyone on this thread still available to help out with a spot for parking near Kiawah?? I've been here since Tuesday & hubby is on his way down now - on his bike - we had no idea you couldn't have a motorcycle here! Or does anyone know where paid parking is?? The guards said we absolutely cannot park by the entrance 🤦🏻‍♀️
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal