Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Garmin 2610 Error Code  (Read 2537 times)

ZZR Rob

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 02 Concours
GPS: Sharpsburg, MD
Miles Typed: 773

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:48:53 pm »

Just got back from a 1K ride thru PA's twisties and during the ride on the second day I missed a turn and got off course, the unit tried to recalculate but kept coming up with error codes. If I turned the unit off, and reactivated the route it would tell me how to get on route, needless to say that's aggravating as shite. Had to deal with that for 500 miles of backroads. Got home and contacted Garmin, they had me "reset" the unit which wiped out all tracks and routes on the unit but it seems to be working now. Anyone have this experience?  They gave me a repair number to send it in if that didn't correct the problem but I am concerned that this might happen again out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:12:46 pm »

Was there a code # you can google?

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&$@! oil light keeps coming on..."
ZZR Rob

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:44:50 pm »

No code just "Recalculation Error"

Advertisement

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:48:18 am »

I am not sure but I think that is a mapping error. Garmin will more then likely ask you to just reload the maps.

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&$@! oil light keeps coming on..."
ZZR Rob

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 01:24:01 pm »

Thanks XX

Huron52
I wanna ride

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2004 FJR1300, 2008 WR250R
GPS: Left Coast of Ontario....
Miles Typed: 742

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:44:24 pm »

No code just "Recalculation Error"

Yes that happened to me if I didn't stay on the route I was on.  I found I had to to the same thing... what I did was shut it off and restart it.  Didn't lose anything.
 About the reset thing... no I didn't do that!

Haven't used the routing feature for a while... but I am just about to head out on another trip.... Will post back up if it happens again.  
ZZR Rob

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:10:05 pm »

This was one of the longest routes I've loaded...725 miles and 103 via points. Anyone know if this might have anything to do with the error?

cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 766

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:16:56 pm »

Actually it could. I have seen on past units where they would freeze while recalculating and I found on a longer trip that it took forever for it to recalc the entire route. Maybe you sent it haywire by jumping off the route again before it could finish recalculating. I think what it does when it recalculates is that it takes your current position and goes with it as the start point. Now, if you've gone down the road apiece and missed a turn it will have to immediately recalc again. Maybe this sort of scenario occurred to and cause a recalc error you describe. Did you ride that full 700 odd miles in a day? If not, you might want to consider breaking the routes into smaller ones, maybe 3 or so separate routes.

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:27:10 pm »

This was one of the longest routes I've loaded...725 miles and 103 via points. Anyone know if this might have anything to do with the error?

Actually, I think you've nailed the cause of your problems.  It's not so much the length of the route as the number of waypoints.  Unless you wanted to zig and zag all over the countryside, you probably could have weeded out 25-50 of those waypoints and still had the same route.  Anyway, the 2610 seems to get cranky with lots of waypoints in a route.  

Added: And if you really need all those waypoints, breaking the route up into two or three routes strung together (change routes at a gas stop) will help avoid the slows.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:29:15 pm by RBEmerson » Logged

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
ZZR Rob

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:38:48 pm »

No, our ride for the day was 440 miles. But we didn't know how much riding we could fit into the day since we never rode the roads and were flying by Microsoft's/Garmins mapping software. That route is the longest I have ever entered and from what you experienced it sounds like I have to cut a route of that size in half. I have lots of other routes in the 200 to 400 mile range and never had a problem. Thanks.

ZZR Rob

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:05 pm »

Zig-Zag is the way to go if your trying to tie the ride route into the MotorcycleRoads.us best ride routes. Twisties, Sweepers and Scenic. Thanks for the help. Bigok

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 08:16:10 am »

General thoughts about 2610 routing: I find that a couple of waypoints to get pointed in the right direction, a couple of waypoints to get to a specific destination, and a handful in the middle will usually get the job done.  "Betty" tends to pick a really odd route out from my house and to the local slab (usually, I just go the "right" way and ignore her comments - "Dave, we really should talk about this"...  Wink ), for example.  Once on the road, though, it's fairly simple to use literally three or four waypoints to keep on an intended route.  It helps to use "shortest route" or even the customized routing tool (too bad that disappeared after the 2610) to avoid slabbing it.  Even if you're duplicating a published tour, you probably need fewer waypoints than you think.  

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal