Poll
Question: Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?
YES! - 131 (42.5%)
No, it should be up to each state to choose - 16 (5.2%)
No, it's an idividuals right to choose to wear a helmet - 161 (52.3%)
Total Voters: 300

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print

Topic: Helmet Laws - What's your take?  (Read 29441 times)

saoirseglen

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Still seeking a new mount
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2008, 10:48:01 pm »

I would accept a helmet law as long as all non foot on the ground travel required it, be it riding a horse, bicycle, driving a pickup truck, convertible car, tractor trailer rig or even riding in an airplane.

I wear a helmet voluntarily because I think it is a wiser course of action than not wearing one. However, who am I to force someone, other than a child of mine who does not understand the consequences, to wear one? Besides, I find great irony in that Harley riders generally wear all kinds of leather gear but place a dew rag bandana on their heads while the sport bike riders here in Eastern Kansas wear flashy helmets but flipflops or sneakers, shorts and t-shirts. And then there are the scooter riders who might wear a half helmet, shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.

When are we going to return to the day when people are responsible for their own actions again?

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3380

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2008, 02:31:36 pm »

When are we going to return to the day when people are responsible for their own actions again?

SSSHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  The liberals migh hear you.  They despise responsibility unless it is them making someone else responsible.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
Baron Samedi

« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2008, 03:18:51 pm »

SSSHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  The liberals migh hear you.  They despise responsibility unless it is them making someone else responsible.

ummm..and I thought that liberalism was all about self-responsibility, but also protecting the rights of others-like not having to pay the bill for the hospital/ police/ etc for some un-hatted twat who has munched his brains down the road.
Advertisement

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2008, 03:28:06 pm »

Wait, what?

I'm as liberal as they come, and I detest helmet laws.  Maybe you need to recalibrate your outlook a little.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Ded Fred

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: V2C 650 S United Motors
Miles Typed: 84

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2008, 05:19:30 pm »

I think the more bare headed bikers there are the more likely the Feds
will begin blackmailing the states into passing helmet laws...

Dont forget backed by the helmet manufactuers, like here in Washingrad where not only did they steal our right to choose, they made it so it cant be voted on again.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

that's cause liberals are all about laws that constrain others until it constrains them.

Snerk.  Too bad PO is gone.  Instead, I'll just laugh at you at the irony of it all.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2008, 12:22:48 am »

that's cause liberals are all about laws that constrain others until it constrains them.

check out all the people who voted in a waiting period 3 times longer than the national wait (for guns, etc.) who went to their neighbors begging for a gun during the post-rodney king riots.

Lol

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2008, 12:44:34 am »

Lol

Yeah, kinda like that.   Lol

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2008, 01:11:46 am »

I dunno whut's funnier...

people banging on doors asking if they can borrow a gun for a few minutes

or

liberals asking for more Patriot Acts  Inlove

Bigsmile

02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2008, 01:49:55 am »

ummm..and I thought that liberalism was all about self-responsibility, but also protecting the rights of others-like not having to pay the bill for the hospital/ police/ etc for some un-hatted twat who has munched his brains down the road.

Sorry, the Conservatives are the ones who believe in self sufficiency and personal responsibility and I have to agree with them.
 People should work for what you want/get.  They only ones that should get a free ride are those that cannot do for themselves.  Those that won't should get nothing.  Case in point; Welfare, you want it you need to perform X amount of community service a week and be subject to random drug tests. You have additional kids; SORRY, no additional money, if you are on welfare you should not be having any more kids.  
 People should take responsibility for their actions.  For a general example, look at all the frivolous law suits in this country. If you are a fat ass because you eat 2 Woppers, a supersize fry and soda every day; DO NOT SUE BURGER KING!! They did not hold a gun to your head and make you eat it.  You walked you lard butt in an placed the order every day.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2008, 01:57:38 am »

You walked you lard butt in an placed the order every day.

Nah, drive up. Wouldn't want to waste calories on body transport. I might have to order a third triple-stacker.
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2008, 02:01:55 am »

Nah, drive up. Wouldn't want to waste calories on body transport. I might have to order a third triple-stacker.

Good point, no sense in putting in any more effort than necessary

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2008, 02:19:02 am »

Thread surf'n tonight...

We ('merkins) need to get back to the forced seatbelt use, as in make it optional though promote education as to why voluntary use is a "Good Thing" (tm).
Jeff N

« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2008, 02:19:36 am »

Now I see where the PO forum went.  Lol

We'll just hide it in a helmet law thread.
Baz

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9064

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2008, 02:59:12 am »

See, I have no problem with the concept of letting someone ride without a helmet. I just have a hard time with the concept that I (and other tax payers) will have to support them after they survive the helmetless crash, and are really only good to sit around all day, drool & wet themselves.

Oh yes, and of course there are the ones that think its OK to teach their kids that they don't need to wear a helmet either. I think a law should be in place to protect Jr. from Daddy's bad judgement.

Now if somehow these people who don't think helmets are a good thing can show proof they can support themselves in a vegetative state, I say let em have the right to choose. I don't mind you smashing your head on the ground at all. I just hate the idea of having to pay for it.
RickC1957
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2005 Ducati ST3, 2005 Ducati 620 Monster
Miles Typed: 1479

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: September 26, 2008, 07:16:50 am »

I have no choice when it comes to wearing a seatbelt, in fact riding in a car without feels weird. I grew up in a country that has a helmet law, the few times I have ridden without a helmet, it sucked, the many times I have crashed,  Embarassment , wearing one, it saved me from great harm Bigok So, I say no choice, pass the law, or, but yet give me a 50% discount on insurance rates for wearing one, and charge a 200% premium to the ones who don't Wink

Let's waste time chasing cars.
JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2008, 12:41:12 pm »

It's all about slippery slope government dictations vs. individual choice.

Substitute any "hazard" aside from helmets or seat belts.

How much government dictation do you want?
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2008, 01:09:05 pm »

It's all about slippery slope government dictations vs. individual choice.

Substitute any "hazard" aside from helmets or seat belts.

How much government dictation do you want?

If you do yourself harm, the law shouldn't care.  If you harm others, then the law should care.  

Also, If two people do something to each other consensually, the law shouldn't care either.  

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2008, 01:22:12 pm »

I agree.

The point the "gov required helmet" folks are taking is that if I harm myself and require services that are, in part, funded by "them", then they cry foul.

So we have two issues (?):
1) The slippery slope of government action
2) Resources of one individual transferred to another (group insurance)

Now, for those that do not wish to be involved with group insurance (and may have a grudge in having to pay for services used by others not protecting themselves up to their personal level) they do have a choice - do not purchase / be involved with group insurance. Oh, but the gov requires insurance for X activity - an interesting twist for those saying the gov should require something of the masses. A recognized "self insurance" plan is the next step. Oh, but they don't have the financial resources for a government recognized self insurance plan, maybe they should not be involved with X activity or quiet up and buy group insurance (or get government out of their life).
Oddball

Reputation 34

Motorcycles: '12 Tiger 800 XC, '06 FZ1, '99 R1100RT-P
GPS: Stillman Valley, IL
Miles Typed: 1335

My Photo Gallery

Cats out of the bag just south of cheese.

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2008, 01:31:56 pm »

I think that there are much larger issues here in the states other than a few individuals not wearing helmets.  This is nothing compared to what is going on with all of this bailout talk.  So much for the free world or free economy.

We can not cure stupidity at any level.

IBA# 22015
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal