Poll
Question: Should all states make helmets mandatory for all riders?
YES! - 131 (42.5%)
No, it should be up to each state to choose - 16 (5.2%)
No, it's an idividuals right to choose to wear a helmet - 161 (52.3%)
Total Voters: 300

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
Print

Topic: Helmet Laws - What's your take?  (Read 29439 times)

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 10:43:44 pm »

I LOVE AMSOIL!!

I'm not afraid to admit it, neither.

Who wants a hug?   Inlove

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Black Ice

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 ZZ-R 1200 "Diana"
GPS: In your head
Miles Typed: 4364

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 10:45:45 pm »

Where's the sport in that? Next thing ya know you'll want to sticky a dino v. synth thread too.

Don't make me start a(nother) tire thread, buddy.   Twofinger
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 10:48:25 pm »

My Bridgestones can kick your Michelins' assens!

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Advertisement

doug06z

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 06 Kawasaki Z750S
Miles Typed: 487

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 10:54:41 pm »

Ho hum  Sleepy
Black Ice

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 ZZ-R 1200 "Diana"
GPS: In your head
Miles Typed: 4364

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 10:59:05 pm »

My Bridgestones can kick your Michelins' assens!

Yeah?  Well, my Rotella beats the crap out of your oil every day of the week and twice on Tuesday!  And my beer can beat up your beer!
StacyT

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '08
Motorcycles: 2005 Yamaha FZ6
GPS: Monroe WA
Miles Typed: 572

My Photo Gallery

This ^ is Not Me, it's a picture of me. Sort of.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:45:36 pm »

You may have to link 'em, Dred...matter of fact, I'm thinking a sticky may be the only way to prevent this subject being dragged up every few months...!!  Rolleyes   Lol

Those are last years posts!  I wanna uses this years posts.

Smile

Objects in the review mirror may..... Uh-Oh!!
HoosierFZ1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 FZ1 sold, 98 11GS, 03 Falco
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 01:31:35 am »

A co-worker of mine is sitting in a coma right now from hitting a deer on his bike without a helmet on.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 08:47:11 am »

A co-worker of mine is sitting in a coma right now from hitting a deer on his bike without a helmet on.

Mandatory helmets on all deer may have prevented this.

Fast Blue

Reputation 10

GPS: Ontario Canada
Miles Typed: 687

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 09:08:50 am »

Givin that I would wear a brain bucket 99.9% of the time

I  still would like to have individual choice .

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 09:37:59 am »

Helmets are better then nothing but it doesn't mean its going to save your life, too many factors play a role. Not saying I am a expert or any thing.

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&[email protected]! oil light keeps coming on..."
rabbott5

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1998 Kawasaki Concours,2008 Honda Goldwing
GPS: North Central Illinois
Miles Typed: 568

My Photo Gallery

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbott5

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 10:31:28 am »

While I always wear a helmet, I think it's everyones right to wear one or not.  Same as the seatbelt laws.  I do think that it is up to the insurance companies on how they pay out in the event of an injury.  Yes helmets and seatbelts reduce some injuries and even lower the risk of death.  I have been a firefighter for 28 years and have seen the results.  There are a few times the accident was so severe a seatbelt/helmet would not have mattered.  If we choose to not use available protection, then insurance companies should also have an option for payout.  I am NOT a fan of insurance companies, I just feel that if I can protect myself a little its worth it.  Law NO  Choice YES.

"Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy **** what a ride!"
AMA#1077701
IB
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 10:46:34 am »

If we choose to not use available protection, then insurance companies should also have an option for payout.

Until the health insurance companies decide to define "available protection" as a roll cage and/or airbags, and stop paying out on cycle collisions.  Or mountaineering falls.  Or horseback riding get-offs.

rabbott5

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1998 Kawasaki Concours,2008 Honda Goldwing
GPS: North Central Illinois
Miles Typed: 568

My Photo Gallery

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbott5

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 01:23:53 pm »

Until the health insurance companies decide to define "available protection" as a roll cage and/or airbags, and stop paying out on cycle collisions.  Or mountaineering falls.  Or horseback riding get-offs.

I know this is an open ended topic.  Healthcare and insurance beats all of us up.  We pay for the stupid people everytime we pay our premiums.  Because payments are made to those who are in a coma for not wearing a helmet as well as the guy sitting at a stop light and gets taken out by a cage.  Its really not fare.  I'm just saying that if I choose to not wear a helmet, the insurance company has the right to charge more or give me a discount for wearing one. Just my opinion.  Again Law NO Choice YES

"Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy **** what a ride!"
AMA#1077701
IB
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

I know this is an open ended topic.  Healthcare and insurance beats all of us up.  We pay for the stupid people everytime we pay our premiums.  Because payments are made to those who are in a coma for not wearing a helmet as well as the guy sitting at a stop light and gets taken out by a cage.  Its really not fare.  I'm just saying that if I choose to not wear a helmet, the insurance company has the right to charge more or give me a discount for wearing one. Just my opinion.  Again Law NO Choice YES

I don't disagree, but I really think the deer need to wear helmets.  I'd mandate leathers for them too, if they weren't already covered with leather.

jwhite518

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 05 FJR1300, 96 BMW R1100RS
GPS: SF Bay Area
Miles Typed: 4644

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 02:06:54 pm »

I don't disagree, but I really think the deer need to wear helmets.  I'd mandate leathers for them too, if they weren't already covered with leather.

You crack me up, Dred. rofl

IBA #386
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 02:46:08 pm »

I think kangaroo leather is stronger, maybe they would try that??

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 03:24:16 pm »

I think kangaroo leather is stronger, maybe they would try that??

Now you're being silly.  There are no such thing as kangaroos.  They're just a figment of some mad cartoonist's dream after one too many cans of Fosters while on holiday in Australia.  No more real than these "moose" the Canadians keep speaking of.

Now, Canadians make good leather.  Must be from all the blows they receive while playing hockey, and the effects of the cold upon their skin.

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 03:28:26 pm »

Now you're being silly.  There are no such thing as kangaroos.  They're just a figment of some mad cartoonist's dream after one too many cans of Fosters while on holiday in Australia.  No more real than these "moose" the Canadians keep speaking of.

Now, Canadians make good leather.  Must be from all the blows they receive while playing hockey, and the effects of the cold upon their skin.

oh, yea..... I hear jackalope hide is pretty tough

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3380

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 02:43:53 pm »

I marked no (maybe because I am not a dumbocrat who thinks he/she knows what is best for all of us), but I still wonder at the thought process that leads someone to ride with out a helmet.  

I agree with previous posts in that your insurance should include a clause to limit what the insurance company has to pay if you are injured and not wearing a helmet.  Stupid is as stupid does and stuid should foot the bill for it!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:57:40 am by 02Tac » Logged

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 02:59:32 pm »

If a deer were on my bike I'd hit it too.

Coz a deer on a bike looks sexxxy without a helmet.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal