Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Odometer: 75000  (Read 3786 times)

PhilBiker
HOV Commutosaurus

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '95 Kawasaki GPz-1100
Miles Typed: 1235

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:52:06 am »

Just turned 3/4 century the other day on the ol' GPZ.  Bike's running like a top!

PhilBiker
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

1moreroad
Motard Tourer?

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 15 FJ-09
GPS: MidSouth
Miles Typed: 3801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:47:14 am »

Thumbsup  My 6 just rolled 72000 last week.  For 3 months at the beginning of the year, I moaned to all my friends that I wasn't riding enough.  Then I realized that in 14 months, I've ridden 13,000 miles. Bigsmile  

Kawasakis can last forever if you take care of them.  I know bike mechanics that look at the bike, shake their heads, and say, bikes aren't supposed to run that good for the long!

The government can't regulate common sense or outlaw stupidity. -anon
mike goodwin

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1992 BMW K75S
Miles Typed: 1157

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:44:17 am »

Phil and 1moreroad...I have no doubts about either of those bikes you guys have going that distance.
My old air cooled 83' KZ750 went 91,000 miles and never did the engine need to be broken down.
Original clutch,starter,timing chain,no leaks.
I did have to replace my stator at 68,000 miles and adjusted the number 4 exhaust valve at 13k and again at 70k. Lol

How about you guys.
What have you had to repair or replace in those miles??

mike
IBA 8384
Advertisement

PhilBiker
HOV Commutosaurus

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:48:47 am »

The only major engine component that I've had to replace is the cams.  The GPz cams have a history of "pitting" and shedding their nickelplating on the lobes, and mine had gotten so bad that there was nothing left.  Other than that, just basic maintenance, replaced wheel bearings, steering head bearings, etc.  Oh, and a few petcocks - that's a sore spot on the GPZ.

PhilBiker
mike goodwin

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1992 BMW K75S
Miles Typed: 1157

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:19 am »

The only major engine component that I've had to replace is the cams.  The GPz cams have a history of "pitting" and shedding their nickelplating on the lobes, and mine had gotten so bad that there was nothing left.  Other than that, just basic maintenance, replaced wheel bearings, steering head bearings, etc.  Oh, and a few petcocks - that's a sore spot on the GPZ.

How many miles were on the bike when you replaced the cams?
What's the deal on the petcocks??

mike
IBA 8384
PhilBiker
HOV Commutosaurus

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 04:17:48 pm »

How many miles were on the bike when you replaced the cams?
What's the deal on the petcocks??
Cams were just replaced at about 74K.  Petcock leaks chronically and needs regular replacement.

PhilBiker
blackbeltrider

Reputation 12

Miles Typed: 310

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »

I just rolled up 106,000 km (67,000 mi.) on my '01 Concours.

Rrepairs to date are:

1 headlight bulb
1 tail light bulb
1 speedometer cable (my fault for not lubing it)
1 center stand (probably my fault)
1 set of front brake pads
1 right front brake rotor (hit a deer)

I am pretty happy with this machine, for obvious reasons. Hopefully the new ride will be as good, reliability-wise  
1moreroad
Motard Tourer?

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 15 FJ-09
GPS: MidSouth
Miles Typed: 3801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:55:40 am »

Hmmm....  Except for the suspension, I really only have consumables and some plastic due to minor crashes.  The only real "unscheduled" repair was the single screw that backed out of the exhaust hanger.  Most of my maintenance is either by the schedule like oil changes or preventative -- replaced brake pads with maybe 30% of the material right before a track day when I should have been able to safely run them to 15% or 20% on the street.  Changed out the headlight bulbs when I was commuting at night on back highways with lots of deer.  I usually run tires to the wear marks but occasionally change them out a little earlier if I have a track day coming up.  The wheel bearings are a little rough, and I have learned to pack grease every tire change.  Can't detect any roughness in the swingarm or in steering.  I do take it to the local Kawasaki shop for valve checks and always ask for the local mechanic whom I trust to look the bike over.  I usually ask him about specific items (like the swingarm) and he always says they're fine.

Lots and lots of tires.  Maybe 10 or 11 pairs?  Even more oil filters. Smile
Chains last anywhere from 15,000 - 25,000 miles.  More a function of how well/often I clean them than anything innate about the chain.  The OEM chain and steel sprocket did last long times.
Ohlins rear shock, new springs/valves in fork, and braided front brake lines around 35,000 miles.
Spark plugs every other or every third valve adjust (now 18,000 or 27,000 miles).
2 sets of front pads right before track days.  Still on original rear pads with plenty of life left. Smile
1 front sprocket + 1 rear sprocket replaced.
1 screw in one fairing piece worked loose -- my fault for not tightening it enough after an oil change.  1 screw on the exhaust hanger worked loose.
1 windshield and 1 side fairing replaced due to lowside.  2 fairing stays replaced after they twisted in the same lowside.
2 other fairings and headlight assembly plastic repaired due to lowside.
Had new battery installed when I bought it at 3600 miles because original battery was dead when I looked at it.  Replaced that battery around 65000 miles because I wasn't riding it daily to keep it charged.  It felt "weak" for years, but never failed to start when commuting on it almost daily (4 days a week or so).
1 pair of headlight bulbs last year.
The paint has worn around the ignition due to the key ring/fob. Sad

I keep a running record of all work done on the bike and receipts for most of it.  I can tell you when all the oil changes were, etc.  I also keep a running tab on the maintenance costs on the bike.  Having owned the bike 6 years, my $ / mile costs are the same today as they were 3 or 4 years ago -- the bike requires routine maintenance and not much more.  Looking at cost, it is as reliable today as it was in, say, 2004.

Sort of sadly, I'll be cleaning up a little adhesive grime (my Stompgrip pads have shifted slightly) and putting it up for sale here on STN, probably next week.  I want something smaller with some dual sport potential for more local rides as opposed to a more high strung all-rounder like the 6R is.  The 6R has done dirt, but the front end pushes on gravel too much to be fun.  There are too many local dirt roads I'm itching to explore.  Even then, I'll probably do it a little unconventionally (which is to say, look for another all rounder bike that is the best at nothing but could do track days or some light adventure touring or whatever else grabs me at the moment).  I've reached a point where I don't need a bike (like I did for commuting in Los Angeles), but I can't picture myself without one.

Every state visited shown in my sig has been on this bike (and I did Hawaii on a rental Harley).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:09:34 pm by 1moreroad » Logged

The government can't regulate common sense or outlaw stupidity. -anon
jay547

Reputation 253

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2964

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 01:44:47 pm »

Old thread revival:  EEK!

Another Kawie with 75k. It's a 2005 Z750s. I bought it November, 2010 with 6000+ miles on it. It turned 75k July 11, 2015.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
alekkas

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Back to a Connie
GPS: Far West Chi burbs / rural
Miles Typed: 271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 12:59:47 am »

Well?  What did it take to get it there?  The z750S is a very value priced bike - fun motor.  Some springs, maybe a shock and a very sporty / low cost bike.  Would love to here more about it, cause I can see the possibility of one in my future...

Some ride reports:  http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
jay547

Reputation 253

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2964

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 01:03:19 pm »

Engine and suspension is completely stock. It was/is good enough for my purposes. My previous bikes were twenty years or more old so this was like a new Porsche, comparatively speaking. It's been incredibly reliable, never been stranded. In fact, it's never been in a shop except for a valve check and a couple tire changes - I do have a leaky fork seal now though.

None of the aftermarket things are performance related: Corbin seat, bar risers, smoked windscreen, auxiliary lights, soft bags, Givi rack, sliders.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
alekkas

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Back to a Connie
GPS: Far West Chi burbs / rural
Miles Typed: 271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 04:46:25 pm »

Good to hear.  Wink

Some ride reports:  http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal