Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Official S-T.N Digital Camera Thread  (Read 203322 times)

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 Triumph Trophy
Miles Typed: 2240

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1460 on: February 16, 2010, 12:48:56 am »

That's great, Fred!  Bigok  Congrats. So, this is your own private studio setup?

Mine and a business partner. Its just a hair under 1600 sqft and the doorway is 35" wide so I'll be able to get most bikes in there.

Ya just whomp dat sucka right up da ol' schmegeggie.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: March 11, 2010, 11:02:47 pm »

I'mma have to start reading this thread now.

My GF just handed me my combination late holiday/birthday/early father's day gift, a Canon Eos Rebel XSI/450D.  Of course, Fred knew about this long before I did.  Razz  Thanks for giving her advice Fred!   Thumbsup

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: March 11, 2010, 11:07:19 pm »

Learn RAW, my friend. Learn RAW.

Advertisement

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:45 pm »

Learn RAW, my friend. Learn RAW.

Which means relearning all the exposure and time and aperture elements first, I guess, since RAW is disabled in the auto modes.

I'll be reading the entire "methods" thread now.  Pardon me while I lose the next 3 weeks of my life Bigsmile

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1464 on: March 11, 2010, 11:23:37 pm »

Aperture, shutter speed and composition havent changed a bit.

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: March 11, 2010, 11:27:13 pm »

Which means relearning all the exposure and time and aperture elements first, I guess, since RAW is disabled in the auto modes.

I'll be reading the entire "methods" thread now.  Pardon me while I lose the next 3 weeks of my life Bigsmile

Shoot in Program mode anyway. It's like auto, only better, with more flexibility. And you can shoot RAW - at least you can with the Nikon D90.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1466 on: March 11, 2010, 11:36:27 pm »

Aperture, shutter speed and composition havent changed a bit.

Doesn't change the fact that I don't remember how to put them together in harmony.  Smile  That's why I said re-learn.

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1467 on: March 11, 2010, 11:39:36 pm »

Ok. Let me know if I can help.

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: March 11, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »

As soon as I know what questions to ask, I will.   Bigok

JReazor

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1469 on: April 16, 2010, 11:31:32 pm »

Ok, I've finally admitted that this whole Digital Photography thing may not be a passing fad. I'm done waiting for silver to make it's triumphant return.

I've decided to take the DSLR plunge. The new Canon T2i seems to hit all the right notes at the right price. I wandered in to my local camera shop to pick one up, no dice. They don't have one in Wilmington, their Newark store doesn't have one, they don't know when they're getting them. I stop at Ritz Camera on the way home. No dice. Best Buy? Same story. I get home and search the interwebs. A few places have the kit in stock but I certainly don't need the 18-55 kit lens. It's only $100 more then the body only but it would be such a waste. I'd rather put that money towards a decent flash or a battery grip.

I was going to give my local shop a call tomorrow, I'd rather buy from them anyway and ask them to give me a buzz as soon as they got one in. Then I saw this. Hmmm...

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1470 on: April 17, 2010, 12:15:25 am »

I love my Nikon D90.

I also recommend www.centralcamera.com

Jeff
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1471 on: April 17, 2010, 03:06:05 am »

I love my Nikon D90.

I also recommend www.centralcamera.com

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. For those of you who dont know- I work there.

We had two T2i camera bodies come in yesterday and one sold almost right away. Its virtually a lock that the other will selll today (Sat).

JReazor;

I'm a Nikon shooter by trade (Vehement brand loyalty is in most cases for amateurs) but I highly recommend the T2i if you want to stay on a budget. Not only is the Nikon info seen online purely speculative, right now while I prefer their gear I can safely say that I utterly HATE the company. Why? Nikon has told the great majority of their dealers (The ones who have done millions of dollars worth of business for years) to go screw themselves. Yes, Nikon makes a great product but they have decided to take the "Ok, that was the last 40 years-What have you done for us lately?" crap and made it very difficult to do business with the exception of a select few NY retailers, Amazon, Best Buy and Costco. My employer was instrumental in putting Nikon on the map in the Midwest and they just dont care. Is Nikon great gear? Yes, it certainly is.

If I could sell all my Nikon gear without incurring a huge loss and go back to Canon I would in a NY second just to tell Nikon to go screw themselves.

Canon on the other hand has been loyal to a fault and understands that supporting their specialty dealers are a good thing. Also, the reason why you had no luck at Ritz is that they are no longer Canon dealers and wont be for the foreseeable future. This is because when Ritz went Chapter 11 last year, they stiffed Canon to the tune of about 15-20 million dollars and Canon told them to take a hike. There is no explanation as to why they show Canon on their website. If you go to Canon's site and look up authorized dealers, Ritz (And their affiliates) never comes up. Ever.

Truthfully, both companies make great gear. I support Canon because they are helping me keep my job. If you like, call me at the store first thing in the morning (8:30- Opening time) and I'll be happy to get the ball rolling on shipping you a T2i body. I dont make any commission on any Canon gear but I will always be happy to sell it. 1-800-421-1899 and my name is Fred.

JReazor

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1472 on: April 17, 2010, 11:42:07 am »

Thanks for the info Fred. That's good to know. The response I got from Ritz was "We won't be carrying the T2i in this location". I thought that was a little odd at the time. Makes perfect sense now.

All other things being equal, Canon definitely has the edge for me simply because I have a bunch of Canon glass from my old A2 and I know the Canon interface pretty well from the G9. I am kind of interested in the four thirds cameras from Panasonic though. Any opinion on those?
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15126

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1473 on: April 17, 2010, 11:56:26 am »

I'm going to take this opportunity to pimp my camera that's for sale in the Non-Bike stuff thread  Embarassment

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1474 on: April 17, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »

Thanks for the info Fred. That's good to know. The response I got from Ritz was "We won't be carrying the T2i in this location". I thought that was a little odd at the time. Makes perfect sense now.

All other things being equal, Canon definitely has the edge for me simply because I have a bunch of Canon glass from my old A2 and I know the Canon interface pretty well from the G9. I am kind of interested in the four thirds cameras from Panasonic though. Any opinion on those?

I'm highly impressed with the Micro 4/3 cameras from Panasonic and Olympus. We considered becoming a Panasonic dealer in order to carry them but Panasonic's "application process" was a complete joke. I actually told them to f*ck off as it was my job to sign us up. We couldn't even speak to anybody. We had to email a rep with our letter head, company resume and a letter of intent. While we dont take the angle of "We are the oldest camera store in the US (We are) but to have to jump through the hoops that they wanted was out of the question.

That aside, those cameras are excellent and so are their optics. The Olympus EP1 and 2 are as well. You cant go wrong with either of them. Everybody I've encountered with them have been happy. I've seen some very impressive results.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15126

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1475 on: April 17, 2010, 07:40:43 pm »

I'm highly impressed with the Micro 4/3 cameras from Panasonic and Olympus.

Glad to hear that, as I'm replacing the Olympus listed above with a Panasonic Lumix GF1  Thumbsup Thumbsup

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1476 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:45 pm »

In Brooklyn tuesday with some time to kill.

evilmedic13
Fantastic and sarcastic!

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: FJR1300,R1200GS Advenure
Miles Typed: 894

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1477 on: May 28, 2010, 05:30:03 pm »

Look at came in the mail for me today, no not the sleeping cutie in the background. Stork dropped him off a few months ago.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/evil54/cd91cded.jpg

birdrunner

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4847

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #1478 on: June 01, 2010, 09:59:13 am »

Glad to hear that, as I'm replacing the Olympus listed above with a Panasonic Lumix GF1  Thumbsup Thumbsup

My Panasonic takes awesome pictures.

Me??? Not so much.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1479 on: June 04, 2010, 12:06:18 am »

Just wanted to impart a little experience when it comes to cleaning DSLR sensors. I've never farmed it out. Why? It generally costs about 2-3 times as much as a fine cleaning kit.

I've used three different products from two different manufacturers over the years and here is what I've found:

First off; RTFM, RTFM and RTFM. For those of you who are going WTF???? It means Read The F*cking Manual.

My first experience was with the original "Dust Aid" dry cleaning kit that came in a metal "Band Aid" type of box. I first used it on my Canon 30D a few years back and it worked very nicely. Used it again with the Nikon D300 that replaced the canon
and scared the hell out of myself because the cleaning pad stuck itself to the sensor, which was my fault for not making sure it was stuck fast to the wand.

Second experience was with the Photographic Solutions "Digital Survival Kit", which is a wet system which I used on my current beast- The Nikon D3. Now you can imagine how nervous I was, full frame sensor and by far the most costly camera I have
ever owned. Because I was nervous, I ended up having to use two cleaning wands. Cleaning done after holding quite the breath. A temporary lack of dexterity on my part was the culprit.

Third and most recent experience: Dust Aid "Platinum" system. This is very similar to the original but the cleaning media is "safer" (IMO) to work with. I just cleaned my D3 sensor and it only took about 30 seconds.

My recommendation is to have both types in your arsenal primarily because both have their own advantages and disadvantages but used properly and carefully will do the trick.

Photographic Solutions: http://www.photosol.com/

Dust Aid: http://www.dust-aid.com/

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal