Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 77   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Official S-T.N Digital Camera Thread  (Read 206811 times)

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2007, 11:07:28 am »

Thunder7 if you take requests for your site put up more outdoors stuff like the black and white you have now. Those like all the rest of yours are great shots.  Thumbsup

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&[email protected]! oil light keeps coming on..."
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '02 Triumph Trophy
Miles Typed: 2240

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2007, 11:10:11 am »

Thunder7 if you take requests for your site put up more outdoors stuff like the black and white you have now. Those like all the rest of yours are great shots.  Thumbsup

Working on it..... Those and my night shots have gotten me an invitation to exhibit in Turkey in June.

Thanks.

Ya just whomp dat sucka right up da ol' schmegeggie.
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2007, 11:17:23 am »

Working on it..... Those and my night shots have gotten me an invitation to exhibit in Turkey in June.

Thanks.

Congrats. and very frickin cool

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&[email protected]! oil light keeps coming on..."
Advertisement

Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2007, 11:19:04 am »

http://www.pbase.com/aero65

Here's a corrected link.

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff!  Thumbsup

The debate about dslr versus point & shoot will probably never end. Each has its advantages, and for motorcycling the small size of p & s cameras is an undoubted advantage but I get so much more from my photography since I started using my dslr that I just don't use my Olympus p & s digital camera any more. I consider the extra possibilities afforded by the dslr to be worth the extra space in my tank bag, although I will usually just take one lens unless I know that I will probably have reason to use more than one lens.
If all you want to do is document a trip then a compact camera will in most cases be fine, but I am trying to explore just what I can do with my photography and for me it has to be a dslr.

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2007, 11:21:06 am »

Thanks for that Jeff!  Thumbsup

The debate about dslr versus point & shoot will probably never end. Each has its advantages, and for motorcycling the small size of p & s cameras is an undoubted advantage but I get so much more from my photography since I started using my dslr that I just don't use my Olympus p & s digital camera any more. I consider the extra possibilities afforded by the dslr to be worth the extra space in my tank bag, although I will usually just take one lens unless I know that I will probably have reason to use more than one lens.
If all you want to do is document a trip then a compact camera will in most cases be fine, but I am trying to explore just what I can do with my photography and for me it has to be a dslr.

Thats the way to go. Well said.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:24:51 am by Thunder7 » Logged

bsd43

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '02 VFR800A (no mo')
GPS: San Francisco Bay Area
Miles Typed: 1559

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2007, 05:21:05 pm »

I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate on that one.....  Headscratch

I just meant that there's going to be different camps of thought on this issue. I personally prefer shooting JPEGs, just because you don't have to spend time doing post-processing on each image. In my uses, the JPEG image produced by the camera is good enough, and it can be instantly used straight from the memory card. Now, my dad does wedding photography, and he has a different take on it.

Sport-Touring.Net Admin
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2007, 06:37:08 pm »

I just meant that there's going to be different camps of thought on this issue. I personally prefer shooting JPEGs, just because you don't have to spend time doing post-processing on each image. In my uses, the JPEG image produced by the camera is good enough, and it can be instantly used straight from the memory card. Now, my dad does wedding photography, and he has a different take on it.

Of course there are. You have an excellent point.

Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2007, 09:19:09 am »

I have a Canon EOS 350D (I think its the Digital Rebel XT in the states?) D-SLR and was contemplating buying a cheap point and shoot to cart around on the bike. I see though that some of you are taking your D-SLRs in your tankbags; aren't you worried about damaging the optics in the lenses by being against the tank vibrating etc? Or am I just being needlessly paranoid?

Wondering whether to get a RAM mount and either a cheap digital camcorder or a cheapish digital camera for mounting to the bike itself for long trips but I think I'll start another thread on the benefits/pitfalls of that - bit off the point of this thread.
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2007, 09:23:55 am »

I have a Canon EOS 350D (I think its the Digital Rebel XT in the states?) D-SLR and was contemplating buying a cheap point and shoot to cart around on the bike. I see though that some of you are taking your D-SLRs in your tankbags; aren't you worried about damaging the optics in the lenses by being against the tank vibrating etc? Or am I just being needlessly paranoid?

Nope, I'm not worried about it. These cameras are pretty rugged. If it breaks I'll have it fixed or buy another one.  Smile
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2007, 09:33:27 am »

Wondering whether to get a RAM mount and either a cheap digital camcorder or a cheapish digital camera for mounting to the bike itself for long trips but I think I'll start another thread on the benefits/pitfalls of that - bit off the point of this thread.

The 350D= Rebel XT is correct.

As far as vibration goes, most high quality tank bags are well padded. More often than not I have all my camera gear (In a proper case) in my trunk or bungeed to the pillion. Once in a while I will keep mine in the tank bag if I know I will be stopping a lot for a time.

To address the potential for vibration damage- The great majority of DSLRs' are built to withstand a certain amount of abuse, as is their film counterparts. That would extend to the lenses as well. If it got out that they were getting damaged by that slight bit that would take place on a modern S-T bike (Well, anything short of a Milwaukee Vibrator) or anything that could achieve the same results, that manufacturer would probably be driven to take the offending item(s) off the market and replace them with something more robust.

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2007, 09:39:29 am »

IME the digital cameras (point and shoot) and my MiniDV tape camcorder are extremely resiliant when RAM mounted to the handlebars.

One item I do appreciate in the digicam market is for the unit to have an "attachment ring" to attach a barrel with UV filter - keeps the dust and bugs off of the lens. The UV filters will become pitted (rocks, sand, hard bugs?) but can be easily replaced. The Canon PS A620 is one model that has this.
johnnyb
My favorite thing in the world was made in China

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 02 GSF600S Sport bagger, 02 GSX-R750 Track bike
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 602

My Photo Gallery

Giddyup

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2007, 11:07:19 am »

Just to kind of steer this thing back on track.  Try this link...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2006-camera-guide.htm
Good info.  Covers the gamut from point and shoots to compact DSLR.
I'm a Nikon guy but for point and shoots I'd recommend Canon.  Real tough to beat.

Hey Fred...You haven't told anybody to Fook off in a while.  I'm startin' to worry about you man  Bigsmile

I'm either the "slow fast guy" or the "fast slow guy".
Either the "old young guy" or the "young old guy".
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2007, 12:25:39 pm »

Quote from: johnnyb link=topic=2894.msg71969#msg71969 date=1169741239

Hey Fred...You haven't told anybody to Fook off in a while.  I'm startin' to worry about you man  Bigsmile
[/quote

You're just bitter because you have to use Canon equipment for work, John.   Lol

johnnyb
My favorite thing in the world was made in China

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 02 GSF600S Sport bagger, 02 GSX-R750 Track bike
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 602

My Photo Gallery

Giddyup

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2007, 12:33:26 pm »

[quote author=johnnyb link=topic=2894.msg71969#msg71969 date=1169741239

You're just bitter because you have to use Canon equipment for work, John.   Lol

Well, you know.....They make dandy paperweights Razz

I'm either the "slow fast guy" or the "fast slow guy".
Either the "old young guy" or the "young old guy".
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2007, 12:42:54 pm »

Well, you know.....They make dandy paperweights Razz

Lol

torags v2

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '04 BMW R1150RS, '07 XR883
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 945

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2007, 09:08:35 pm »

Nice capture XLR8.

I take my dslr on the bike for the same reasons as Thunder7. But I also take my P&S for my breast pocket when I can stop wo dismounting for a shot I would miss digging for my D70S.

As a photo noob, I found the interest in photography gave me a bunch of new reasons to ride my bike. I'm still working on good image quality.....

On the way home from the Baja 1000 along the Cal coast .........

Rags
evilmedic13
Fantastic and sarcastic!

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: FJR1300,R1200GS Advenure
Miles Typed: 894

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2007, 04:22:45 am »

The 350D= Rebel XT is correct.

As far as vibration goes, most high quality tank bags are well padded. More often than not I have all my camera gear (In a proper case) in my trunk or bungeed to the pillion. Once in a while I will keep mine in the tank bag if I know I will be stopping a lot for a time.

To address the potential for vibration damage- The great majority of DSLRs' are built to withstand a certain amount of abuse, as is their film counterparts. That would extend to the lenses as well. If it got out that they were getting damaged by that slight bit that would take place on a modern S-T bike (Well, anything short of a Milwaukee Vibrator) or anything that could achieve the same results, that manufacturer would probably be driven to take the offending item(s) off the market and replace them with something more robust.

+1

I carry my 7d w/ me all the time. Only time it's not on the bike is if I'm going out to eat and the wife is coming w/ me. Other than than that, the few times I didn't bring it  on the bike I ended up missing some gorgeous shots that I still kick myself for. I even bring it to work w/ me and a CFD ambulance in Chicago is definitely NOT what the engineers had in mind, but the last time I forgot it there was a waterspout about 2mi off the beachfront Crazy. Hell I even have a battery charger in my tankbag that hooks into the powerlet because I carry it so often(another lesson learned the hard way!). Now if I can only shoot like Fred................

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2007, 05:09:20 am »

Nice capture XLR8.

I take my dslr on the bike for the same reasons as Thunder7. But I also take my P&S for my breast pocket when I can stop wo dismounting for a shot I would miss digging for my D70S.

As a photo noob, I found the interest in photography gave me a bunch of new reasons to ride my bike. I'm still working on good image quality.....

On the way home from the Baja 1000 along the Cal coast .........

Cool shot! Just keep shooting. Dont be afraid to experiment and/or ask questions. I've been shooting for more years than I care to admit and I still run into situations where I have to ask somebody. One of my closest friends is one of Chicago's fashion photographers and he has been my greatest teacher.

I'lll keep my DSLR in my tankbag if I think I'm going to be shooting stuff where I olny need to stop, but not dismount.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:10:53 am by Thunder7 » Logged

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2007, 05:16:02 am »

+1

I carry my 7d w/ me all the time. Only time it's not on the bike is if I'm going out to eat and the wife is coming w/ me. Other than than that, the few times I didn't bring it  on the bike I ended up missing some gorgeous shots that I still kick myself for. I even bring it to work w/ me and a CFD ambulance in Chicago is definitely NOT what the engineers had in mind, but the last time I forgot it there was a waterspout about 2mi off the beachfront Crazy. Hell I even have a battery charger in my tankbag that hooks into the powerlet because I carry it so often(another lesson learned the hard way!). Now if I can only shoot like Fred................

Ed, if I kicked myself for every time I didnt have my camera for certain opportunities I'd never be able to sit down. I should carry a high quality point and shoot but should that op arise and I dont have my system wiht me I'll be pissed I wasnt able to get it at the maximum quaility I'm used to. Its a double edged sword, I tell ya!

Funny how when I saw your air show images I was thinking how I have never been able to get shots like those!

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2007, 10:31:41 am »

I will be ready this summer I also was in the forgot my camera club, now that I have my ram mounts I will mount my camera everytime I leave or at least have it in my tankbag. Now I just have to learn how to take good photos.  Bigsmile

Joe.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal