Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 [77]   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Official S-T.N Digital Camera Thread  (Read 285418 times)

JReazor

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1520 on: September 24, 2013, 03:10:12 pm »

My Canon G9 was absolutely fantastic. It gave me all the control I wanted and produced excellent results. If I were going to buy another P&S, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the G15 or G1x. The only reason to go with the S120 (IMO) is to have something that is easily pocketable. The Gs are a little large for that.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Thundergod

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki C14
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 2623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1521 on: May 10, 2014, 09:44:42 am »

Just picked up a Canon 6D -- Refurbished from Canon w. Warranty -- Free 2day shipping just by asking nicely -- $1200.
Full Frame 20MP CMOS Sensor -

Was waffling between Nikon and Canon.

Then I realized that we still have 5 lenses for the old Canon EOS Film Cameras in storage.
Picking up a new Sigma 8mm Fisheye lens this morning.

Start at mile zero.
NotDeadYet

Reputation 8

GPS: over yonder
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!

Ignore
« Reply #1522 on: May 11, 2014, 12:09:32 pm »

Just picked up a Canon 6D -- Refurbished from Canon w. Warranty -- Free 2day shipping just by asking nicely -- $1200.  Full Frame 20MP CMOS Sensor - Was waffling between Nikon and Canon.
Then I realized that we still have 5 lenses for the old Canon EOS Film Cameras in storage.
Picking up a new Sigma 8mm Fisheye lens this morning.

That's a nice piece of kit - you're going to love it.  Be sure to post up some pics.  

Here's a shot I took the other day with my Pentax K5 and a DA10-17 lens.  I've been waiting for Pentax to bring out a full frame sensor.  I have too much Pentax glass to change brands now.  I have been coveting the new K3 but it's not much different than my K5 except for the increase in MP - my K5 has 16.3 and I think the new K3 has 23.35 but still not a full frame sensor.  I have too many expensive hobbies.

[/url]
IMGP7312 by picante express, on Flickr/img]

[img]IMGP7312/img]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:18:27 pm by NotDeadYet » Logged

There is no next time, it's now or never.
Advertisement

NotDeadYet

Reputation 8

GPS: over yonder
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!

Ignore
« Reply #1523 on: May 11, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »

Unlike Corbeau---who made the leap to the world of DSLRs---I'm about to do the opposite...and SELL all my DSLRs to buy a really kickass point-and-shoot. Why would I do such a thing? Mainly because in the past few years, I've barely used my DSLRs. For all the stuff I do, I just find them way too big and bulky. I end up using my iPhone for 90% of the photos I take...which is starting to irritate me because the photo quality is crap (compared with a DSLR or the best POS cameras).

I've also decided I really want a GPS-enabled camera...because I'm tired of forgetting where most of the pics I take were. (While the iPhone can add location data, I never have its GPS turned on because it kills battery life bigtime.)

SO...what I'm looking for is a small/compact/pocketable camera that has...
• GPS
• excellent low-light capability (fast lens + low-noise, high-ISO capability)
• REALLY important: a VERY short/fast autofocus and interval between shots (I want to be able to press the shutter button once per second and have the camera keep up!)

What I don't care much about (anymore) is...
• zoom (most of my pics are either wide scenic shots, or I "zoom with my feet" to get something closer)
• video (I rarely shoot video just because editing takes too much time and data storage requirements are kind of insane, even with 2TB drives for $100.)
• touchscreens (or any other new fangled additions)

So here are a few of the cameras I've singled out as possibilities:

Panasonic Lumix LX7 - can be had for under $400 and gets rave reviews for its fast lens and superb image quality:

Nikon P7700 - also costs around $400:

Canon PowerShot S120 - around $450:

...or if I really decide to spend the big bucks, I might look at one of these:

Canon G15 (around $500 I think?)

...or what appears to be, currently, the undisputed king of high-end point-and-shoot cameras...the Sony RX100, which costs around $600-650:

Of course none of these have built-in GPS...so if I want that, it looks like my best option is the...

Olympus TOUGH TG-1 - $400

I'm really liking this one, as it has GPS, gets good reviews for low-light capability, fast autofocus, and is waterproof, shockproof, coldproof, you-name-it-proof.

Any thoughts? Comments on any of these?  Bigok

Scott

I've been researching the same class of point and shoots.  I've decided to go with the Sony RX100.  Now I have to decide if I want the RX100ii (the second generation) or go for the price discounts being offered on the original model.  I don't generally need the latest and greatest.  I think for the price discount I will get the first generation.  I think it can be bought for $400 bucks new and for slightly less if you can find a used one.

There is no next time, it's now or never.
Thundergod

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki C14
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 2623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1524 on: July 14, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »

Here are some shots taken with the Canon 6D. Some of these are in RAW, unprocessed.
This camera is just simply fanstastic -- and I haven't even firmware hacked it with magic latern yet!

Daytime Exterior

this is the pollution during sunrise in Beijing--

Humid haze over a lake...no, pollution smog.

Nighttime shots - no flash - just pure beauty, all handheld shots.

Daytime- Interior - this is where the 6D just set me back on my heels - these shot were DARK, VERY DARK interiors. When I saw this exposure, it looks like full daylight was pouring into the shot, barely any noise - WOW!

Start at mile zero.
timgray
Not a Typical BMW rider

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW K1200LTC 2003
Miles Typed: 63

My Photo Gallery

Keeping the rubber side down for 35 years.

Ignore
« Reply #1525 on: July 29, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »

I have several cameras,  Canon T2i Canon T4i, Canon 5D MK II, Canon G12 and a Nikon AW110 and a go pro hero 2

The cameras that are always used motorcycling are the G12, the AW110 and the go pro.  The DSLR's are just too much of a bother when riding and too bulky.   I will tell you that the Canon G12 takes photos as good as the Canon 5D does.  It's an absolute fantastic camera in every way.  My wife even has no trouble using it from behind me on the pillon seat with gloves on.

We recently got the AW110 because it is waterproof and has a Compass and a GPS. My wife and I like the idea of the GPS so that each photo has exactly where it was taken embedded as well as the direction we were facing.  It has a wider angle lens on it but does not take very good photos compared to the Canon G12.  and when it's not full sunlight out, it takes horrible photos.  the G12 seems to be able to take photos in almost total darkness.

The GO-PRO will take fantastic photos if it is high noon in full sun. and works great for some awesome candid shots while mounted on the bike.

Samples from the G12...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HctSEp1huA8/U7f11TnDFZI/AAAAAAAALtg/FFXpBY9ePKA/w759-h569-no/FRG-5189.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_SatB2rGhIU/U52tILC8U1I/AAAAAAAAK3M/YDiaTLSKgeQ/w759-h569-no/IMG_1714.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--ayIhPYDQRU/UdNUD1VmaYI/AAAAAAAAIFM/hfy4_5vYyQw/w759-h569-no/IMG_0978.jpg
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:33:53 pm by timgray » Logged

Been riding and wrenching on bikes for as long as I can remember.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 [77]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal