Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 77   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Official S-T.N Digital Camera Thread  (Read 285427 times)

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '02 Triumph Trophy
Miles Typed: 2244

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2007, 10:47:16 am »

I will be ready this summer I also was in the forgot my camera club, now that I have my ram mounts I will mount my camera everytime I leave or at least have it in my tankbag. Now I just have to learn how to take good photos.  Bigsmile

First lesson in taking a good recreational photo: What other people will think of the image should be of no concern. It is your eye, and your image.

Ya just whomp dat sucka right up da ol' schmegeggie.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2007, 11:54:16 am »

First lesson in taking a good recreational photo: What other people will think of the image should be of no concern. It is your eye, and your image.

Clap
Avigar
What coffee meet?!?

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 FJR1300
GPS: Way North of Chiraq
Miles Typed: 621

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2007, 01:02:17 pm »

Agreed. If I have time, I will visualize and compose it in my head. Here's a photo that was taken in Door County this past summer. I used my Olympus C5050 on this shot.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/avigar01/DC3.jpg

--Ben

It's not the destination, but the journey, that counts. A sport-tourer's ride between two points is seldom a straight line. He will often seek the most convoluted route possible to reach his destination.
Advertisement

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2007, 01:25:16 pm »

So... is this turning into a show your good photography thread? If so, here's my contribution, taken with my Canon S2IS and then some post processing in Photoshop.

Jeff
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2007, 01:40:50 pm »

So... is this turning into a show your good photography thread? If so, here's my contribution, taken with my Canon S2IS and then some post processing in Photoshop.

Jeff

Nicely done. Just out of curiosity- What focal length was the lens at? I'm guessing more towards wide angle.

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2007, 01:43:18 pm »

Agreed. If I have time, I will visualize and compose it in my head. Here's a photo that was taken in Door County this past summer. I used my Olympus C5050 on this shot.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/avigar01/DC3.jpg

Ben, well done. Thats exactly how I do it- I think most photographers do in situations like that. Just a suggestion- Play with a circular polarizer to darken the sky and enhance the reflectivity of the water the next time you encounter a similar scene like that.
If you havent done it before you will be pleasantly surprised by the potential results.

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:02 pm »

Oh and one other thing- I've noticed that some really great and helpful discussions can result regarding shooting while out on tour and I've PMd Neal (UFO) about creating a forum here that is specific to shooting and gear.

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2007, 01:49:27 pm »

Nicely done. Just out of curiosity- What focal length was the lens at? I'm guessing more towards wide angle.

Thanks! I really like the way this one turned out, and I knew it the moment I pushed the button on the camera.

From the EXIF info:
Make    Canon    
Model    Canon PowerShot S2 IS
Aperture Value    f/2.7    
Color Space    sRGB
Exposure Bias Value    0 EV    
Flash    No Flash
Focal Length    6 mm    
Metering Mode    Center Weighted Average
Shutter Speed Value    1/39 sec    
Date/Time    01/21/07 12:21:24

In doors, I pretty much shoot strictly fully wide angle, because, as you zoom in the max (or is it min) aperture decreases. If I zoomed in at all, I would've only had an aperture of f/3.5 or 5.6 or who knows what.
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2007, 01:59:18 pm »

Thanks! I really like the way this one turned out, and I knew it the moment I pushed the button on the camera.

From the EXIF info:
Make    Canon    
Model    Canon PowerShot S2 IS
Aperture Value    f/2.7    
Color Space    sRGB
Exposure Bias Value    0 EV    
Flash    No Flash
Focal Length    6 mm    
Metering Mode    Center Weighted Average
Shutter Speed Value    1/39 sec    
Date/Time    01/21/07 12:21:24

In doors, I pretty much shoot strictly fully wide angle, because, as you zoom in the max (or is it min) aperture decreases. If I zoomed in at all, I would've only had an aperture of f/3.5 or 5.6 or who knows what.

Thats a defining shot, when you know it as soon as you take it.

Just to let you know- In portrait shooting I use an 85mm (X1.6 crop factor = 136mm) f1.8, stopped down to 2.8 or maybe 3.5 to achieve the same effect without the wide angle effect. I use my 17-40 f4 otherwise, much like the effect I got with the horse shot on my website.

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

Oh and one other thing- I've noticed that some really great and helpful discussions can result regarding shooting while out on tour and I've PMd Neal (UFO) about creating a forum here that is specific to shooting and gear.

This would be cool I have alot to learn.

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&$@! oil light keeps coming on..."
Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2007, 02:56:38 pm »

A photo forum would be cool.
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2007, 03:10:18 pm »

I've seen some really great images taken by many of the riders here so to have the input of such a diverse group with varying levels of experience can only enhance things.

Avigar
What coffee meet?!?

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2007, 03:52:14 pm »

Ben, well done. Thats exactly how I do it- I think most photographers do in situations like that. Just a suggestion- Play with a circular polarizer to darken the sky and enhance the reflectivity of the water the next time you encounter a similar scene like that.
If you havent done it before you will be pleasantly surprised by the potential results.

Thanks, Fred. Unfortunately, I didn't have a polarizer with me on this one. With a little tweaking, I'm sure I can make it look much better. On the Photo Forum suggestion, this would make a great addition to the Off Topic area. Great idea!!  Thumbsup

--Ben

It's not the destination, but the journey, that counts. A sport-tourer's ride between two points is seldom a straight line. He will often seek the most convoluted route possible to reach his destination.
Avigar
What coffee meet?!?

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2007, 03:54:28 pm »

Jeff

Very cute. Tha's a terrific shot, Jeff.

--Ben

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2007, 04:08:56 pm »

Very cute. Tha's a terrific shot, Jeff.

Thanks very much Ben!
torags v2

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '04 BMW R1150RS, '07 XR883
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 945

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2007, 10:31:12 pm »

Thanks, Fred. Unfortunately, I didn't have a polarizer with me on this one. With a little tweaking, I'm sure I can make it look much better. On the Photo Forum suggestion, this would make a great addition to the Off Topic area. Great idea!!  Thumbsup

A polarizer is one of the problems with small cams. You can't get one on them. I had a New Sony T9, with a Zeiss non telescoping lens. The camera fit easily in my shirt pocket.

I photographed a woody boat show on Lake Tahoe. It was a disaster - the glare blew every shot.

I rigged a Rube Goldberg style polarizer for my LX1, that can work on other cams. I'll post a pic if there's any interest.

BTW, the best moto photo site I have found is Pashnit.com. I think this site would benefit from a photo thread as others have suggested.

These photos can inspire you to take bike trips. I went to photograph caverns to test a new low light lens after seeing a bikers photos. It was a great trip 150 miles out to an interesting destination, with nice rural winding roads - a good day.

Rags
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2007, 12:20:01 am »

A polarizer is one of the problems with small cams. You can't get one on them. I had a New Sony T9, with a Zeiss non telescoping lens. The camera fit easily in my shirt pocket.

I photographed a woody boat show on Lake Tahoe. It was a disaster - the glare blew every shot.

I rigged a Rube Goldberg style polarizer for my LX1, that can work on other cams. I'll post a pic if there's any interest.

BTW, the best moto photo site I have found is Pashnit.com. I think this site would benefit from a photo thread as others have suggested.

These photos can inspire you to take bike trips. I went to photograph caverns to test a new low light lens after seeing a bikers photos. It was a great trip 150 miles out to an interesting destination, with nice rural winding roads - a good day.

I'm rearranging my stable to combine photography with riding. I'm thinking of getting a KLR 650 so I can get out in the mountains a little more.

Yea I think we should do a MC related photo area. It would work fine as long as people didn't expect to upload them here. We could just do like dpreview does and you have to link to them remotely.

BTW, we've been talking point and shoots. Here's one I took in Italy with a Pentax P&S before I got my Canon XTi - somewhat MC related.  Smile

Somewhere around the Cinque Terre
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2007, 02:18:20 am »

I should have been more specific- I agree that any images should be remotely linked. My idea for the forum is more along the lines of a knowledge base and help resource.

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2007, 11:05:11 am »

I like outdoors photos I am using a point and shoot Sony P73 I bought it for $25. used. Is there a way to adjust it to even take better pic in the settings menu? Heres a example of a pic. The lights in the background are blurry is there a setting I could use to not get something like that?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Photonut1/93cfc27f.jpg

another

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Photonut1/DSC02725.jpg

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&$@! oil light keeps coming on..."
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2007, 11:08:30 am »

Were you using a tripod?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal