Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: European Sat Nav - Help Please  (Read 1853 times)

Maltese_Wizard
European Wanderer

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Vulcan 1600 Classic
GPS: Warwickshire
Miles Typed: 81

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:02:36 am »

This is probably a regular topic on here but does anyone know of a good Sat-Nav system for bikes? i've got an SV1000s so could do with a system that clips underneath the screen or somewhere around there without blocking the dials...  

preferably one that covers the UK and Europe although i guess theyt can all be programmed to cover any area????  

hope you can help.

thanks

Rob

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid !!
-----------------------------------------------
Kawasaki - VN1600 Classic : )  Honda - GL1500E Goldwing  Yamaha - XV1600 Custom Fat-Boy (Black
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1537

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30:43 pm »

Does anyone know of a good Sat-Nav system for bikes?

Preferably one that covers the UK and Europe.

Sure, a Garmin 60 Cx! It does just about everything and more than some other models except for voice commands during AutoRouting.

I use it on the motorcycle, in the car and when meandering though cities while on foot.

This is what it looks like on my motorcycle...
http://forums.gpscity.com/showthread.php?p=10969#post10969

Look for an old copy of MapSource European Roads & Recreation. This Garmin/MapSource map package doesn't AutoRoute, but it covers all of the UK and Europe...and it can be copied without needing an "unlock" code to install it. Its what I use.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
badger
*deleted*

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 1308

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:49:13 pm »

Sure, a Garmin 60 Cx! It does just about everything and more than some other models except for voice commands during AutoRouting.

I use it on the motorcycle, in the car and when meandering though cities while on foot.

This is what it looks like on my motorcycle...
http://forums.gpscity.com/showthread.php?p=10969#post10969

Look for an old copy of MapSource European Roads & Recreation. This Garmin/MapSource map package doesn't AutoRoute, but it covers all of the UK and Europe...and it can be copied without needing an "unlock" code to install it. Its what I use.

+1 on the 60Cx.  Last summer we went to Italy and Switzerland via UK.  We used a Garmin 60C (older and slower than the 60Cx and no memory card) and City Navigator Europe.  It worked great.  Drove all over Tuscany and Switzerland, in major cities (Firenze, Berne, Zurich, etc) and never had a glitch.  Autorouting is a sweet extra that saved the day several times.

We were driving, but I use the 60C on the bike all the time.

More than  satisfied Stner's
Advertisement

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:55:38 pm »

Bump.

Er, the problem with starting duplicate topics is you don't get all the answers in one place or, worse, get two different answers for the same question.

Gadget topic link

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal