Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: What is the best month for a Colorado ride. June or August?  (Read 7656 times)

CA1200

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: BMW KGT, Honda CB 550, Buell X3, Honda 110T
GPS: CO Springs
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 10:40:51 am »

I would say forget CO and go to CA Cool. If it isn't cool winter here it is raining in summer Bash.
I am still off my bike and wondering if there ever was any goo weather to ride in, in this state. Bash

Why does rubber have to wear out Burnout
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bluedogok
Ride to Eat - Eat to Ride

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: Aurora, Colorado
Miles Typed: 629

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 08:28:35 pm »

We went to Denver at the end of July beginning of August last year and it was near 100 everyday, but it had never been that hot when I had been up there before. It felt like a cool front had hit us coming from Austin where it was consistently near 105 with 50-60% humidity. It felt great up there with the 10-15% humidity, with the mesh gear it was very comfortable to me. It felt like I rode more in my week in Colorado than the whole summer here in Texas. It was also only 65 on the top of Mount Evans.

My friend and I grew up in Oklahoma City so the "heat" up there didn't bother us but his Colorado native wife didn't like it too well. Summer weather is one of the main reasons for us relocating to Denver in the next few years.

Scott
Conspiracy of One

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 04:50:21 pm »

My friend and I grew up in Oklahoma City so the "heat" up there didn't bother us but his Colorado native wife didn't like it too well. Summer weather is one of the main reasons for us relocating to Denver in the next few years.

I moved from Tulsa to Denver in 1990 and was there until 2005.  As much as I loved the summers in Colorado, I could not take winter any longer.  In 2005 I moved to Northern California (Lodi, 40 miles south of Sacramento) and have not looked back.  Yes, it was a little more expensive but not as bad as people think.  We have no winter to speak of; yes it rains a little but not enough to make you want to park your bike for more than a few days.  The best part is two fold; some of the best riding in the US is within a two hour ride and ..................NO SNOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray

Raymond Dell'olio
Wappingers Falls,, NY
'00 K1200LT
Advertisement

Powder Addict
Colorado Snow Addict

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400
GPS: Western CO
Miles Typed: 642

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 10:54:03 am »

As mentioned, June and Aug both have the pros and cons.  I live in CO, so I'll just repeat what everyone else has said :P

June:  The roads should be mosthly clear, but you can still get some storms up high.  Runoff and gravel can cause problems, so you need to be wary on high windy roads.  I have had some great rides in June.  Obviously, late June will have better travel conditions high up then early June, 2 weeks can make all the difference.  It can still get very hot, but not as oppressively so as in August.  Personally, this is my favorite time of the year to ride.

August:  You'll want to stay in the high country.  I've parked at a rest stop in August, taken about a 10-15 min break, then gotten back on my bike just to have my balls roasting from the heat the seat soaked up sitting in the sun.  It was bad enough that I pulled over and cooled the seat off with water.  I now keep a rag or shirt with me to place over the seat while riding (I learn things the hard way :P).  I have been caught in a snowstorm over Independence pass during August as well.  No matter what keep a pair of warm gloves with you.  

Riding the bike in the summer, snowboarding in the winter, CO is a great place to live!!  

The best powder is pure white Colorado snow!!

Current Ride 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 Old Friends - 2001 KLR 650, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 Ninja 650r, 2001 Triumph Sprint, 1996 Seca II, 82 XS650
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal