Poll
Question: Which do you choose and why?
Suzuki GSX650F - 88 (33.1%)
Kawasaki 650R - 102 (38.3%)
Yamaha FZ6R - 76 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 265

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: head to head lightweights: GSX650F vs. 650R vs FZ6R  (Read 163819 times)

See red

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: fz6r
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »

I had a hard time deciidiing between the gsx-f and the 650r, I test rode both extensively. I mean EXTENSIVELY! like a for an entire weekend for each one. ( my buddy owns a dealer) I then road my friends FZ6R. That was it.... power is right between them, weight is dead nuts in the middle. It pulls good all around, I like the feel, it tracks the curves without fan fair, it is just plain smooth.

I do like the gsx, but I do a lot of low speed in town driving, as well as highway for road trips.

Picture this as a smaller version of an FJR.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Jay S.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2009 Concours
Miles Typed: 169

My Photo Gallery

Life is a highway...

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2011, 04:17:27 pm »

I had a hard time deciidiing between the gsx-f and the 650r, I test rode both extensively. I mean EXTENSIVELY! like a for an entire weekend for each one. ( my buddy owns a dealer) I then road my friends FZ6R. That was it.... power is right between them, weight is dead nuts in the middle. It pulls good all around, I like the feel, it tracks the curves without fan fair, it is just plain smooth.

I do like the gsx, but I do a lot of low speed in town driving, as well as highway for road trips.

Picture this as a smaller version of an FJR.

Thumbsup

My sentiments exactly. I had the luxury of riding all three and the FZ6R was the clear winner for me. GSX650F next and 650R last. Just this man's humble opinion.
jfusaro

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducat Multi Touring S Red
GPS: Western Ct.
Miles Typed: 416

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2011, 08:43:54 pm »

torque and touring the GSXF
Advertisement

02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3380

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »

For use as an all-around bike I would opt for the baby Bandit.  Then again, I am biased as I have the Bigger Bandit.  

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
See red

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: fz6r
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2011, 11:46:50 am »

This is my Fz6r, 7500 on her in this summer, I have had it out on maybe 5 good trips this year.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s42/redwrex/my%20bikes/0913111856.jpg

I liked it best since the gsx_f is gone, and it does an admirable job on expressways. I think for me the slightly moore weight, and the slightly better highway feel is what nudged out the 650r.
RayLiota

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Aprilia Shiver
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2014, 12:34:04 am »

I know this is a really old thread but I just sold my 08 Shiver and my next bike WAS going to be one of these three....

I am in Canada.   Just turned 40, 6'1.5 and 180lbs

I think its pretty cool and speaks highly of these three bikes that they are still around a worth buying... At least I thought so anyways.  I've Have spent parts of the last year researching which one I would buy... Seems odd??  Well we have brutal long winters here, not much else to do..  Also my Shiver was keeping me thoroughly entertained.

My reason for switching bikes was I wanted some fairing... Tired of wind blast..  Also my Shiver was starting to make me nervous with small problems.. Being said I loved the Shiver would recommend it to anyone AMAZING motor as long as not is Sport mode.

GSX-F:
Going in this was the bike I sort of wanted to win.. It was my favorite from what I read about it and how it looked on the showroom floor.. When sitting on it in the showroom I found my legs didn't quite fit in the tank indentations where your legs are supposed to go.. Mine rode a little higher.. While I had read that this was the best bike for taller riders I found it the opposite when just sitting on it anyways.  Yes it was heavy, but very manageable for myself.  Loved the styling.  Liked the fact it had ABS.  When I finally got to ride it I was extremely disappointed because what mildly odd seating position in the showroom turned into any comfortable demo ride.  My legs still didn't fit quite properly but I found the seat kept sliding my nuts into the tank.  I was constantly shifting in the seat trying to get comfortable.. maybe the fact my legs were too long for it meant I could hug the tank to keep my ass further back in the seat, I'm not sure.. but I was sure after the demo ride I couldn't live with it.  I was quite disappointed because I thought this was the next bike I'd buy...  Loved the engine and handling.. brakes seemed good.

Ninja 650r:
I felt like I was too big for this bike on the showroom.. It felt the smallest under me but my legs were more comfortable then on the GSXF.. Bike was nimble on the road, overall I didn't mind it but I didn't find it had some vibration to it... Not a deal breaker but didn't really like the buzz.. I think cause it was a twin I kept comparing it in my mind to the shiver, where the motor just doesn't compare.  If I was smaller it probably deserved a longer look... I thought this bikes quality level was a little low... but I can only really fault it for the vibrations the engine produced in the chassis..

FZ6R:  
Styling wise I liked this one the least, but only because of the racy paint schemes..  The styling to me was nice and it looked more expensive then it was in the showroom anyways.  Lots of leg room, and very comfortable seating position and ergos for my size.  Road nice enough, felt a little light for me, but engine was smooth... tranny was slightly notchy, didn't shift as nice as GSXF but very liveable..  wind protection was OK but again not as good as GSXF...  Engine sound was very quiet..  Overall I liked it but didn't love it.  Nothing that I couldn't live with though.. did wish it had ABS.... oh well... This was the bike I Was going to buy.... ALMOST

While shopping for my FZ6R I stumble across a brand new 2012 Honda CBF600SA in a small out of town dealer... Price was very good..  $1000 less then the left over 2013 GSXF and FZ6R I was looking at...  I never considered the bike really because I never saw one on the road and all the Honda dealers in my city never had one...  I think 2012 was the last year Honda brought them to Canada..  I decide to drive out and see it..
Ergos are awesome, very comfortable for me...  Had ABS.....  I couldn't ride it though... Wouldn't let me.  I end up buying it anyways mostly for the price and the fact it had ABS over the FZ6R I thought was going to buy... also I have to admit I had maybe more faith in Honda t hat it would be a good riding bike...

Happy to report the bike is great!  very smooth, great wind protection and the tranny is BY FAR the better then the FZ6R...  So I am very happy..

If anyone has more specific questions about these bikes let me know and I'll try my best to help.  In the meantime don't rule out the CBF, was perfect for myself.  Cheers and good riding!
RayLiota

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Aprilia Shiver
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2014, 11:46:39 am »

Picture taken through glass, sorry Smile

nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2014, 03:20:36 pm »

Very nice!  That's actually the first of that variant that I've seen.  I was wondering what you would end up with.  Nothing wrong with ending up with something slightly different than what you started looking for.  I just did that this past week when shopping for a car...

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2014, 10:59:03 am »

I've never ridden either of these but I voted for the GSX based on what I've read about the very broad torque curve.

This... lower peak HP with better low end torque gives it more usable juice for typical street riding.

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at itů
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal