Poll
Question: Which do you choose and why?
Suzuki GSX650F - 88 (33.1%)
Kawasaki 650R - 102 (38.3%)
Yamaha FZ6R - 76 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 265

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: head to head lightweights: GSX650F vs. 650R vs FZ6R  (Read 170192 times)

SVNET

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: Cruiser
Miles Typed: 281

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »

As a point of reference, State Farm rates bikes by displacement.

My 2005 FJR costs $491 per year.

My 2007 Burgman (400) is $208 per year.

I'm 32, married, good driving record. Those are both full coverage quotes.

Curious what the State Farm quotes come back as...

I have not pull the trigger on anything yet because too many factors involved.

I just got a quote with State Farm and I like it...

The deal with State Farm is that they just pulled out all their HO line out of FL and with that they are loosing a lot of their customers who also had HO/Auto packages so they are hurting for business now, got to get them while they are down...

If I move all my personal Auto (cars) with them, which I will, I get their better rate on the bike.

2008 Suzuki GSX650F  $183 / 6mo or $366 per year.
2009 Kawasaki Versys  $186 / 6mo or $372 per year.
2009 Kawasaki 500R    $174 / 6mo or $348 per year.  This one makes no sense...

Given the above numbers I can make the following conclusions...  I am lost.
I am all confused when it come to insurance and State Farms seems to be on their on league...

I guess with State Farm I no longer have to limit myself to a 500cc but I can get any of the 3 bikes,
which ever I like best because they are all being rated just about the same...
I am also 32, Married with a just OKAY record, not bad, but not a clean driving record.

At this point everyone is to make their own conclusion...  I am choosing State Farm.

I called Geico again to confirm the quote on the Versys, guess what... Magically desaperance...
The lady I talk to today advised there are no records of any of my last week quotes.
She requoted the bikes for me, both Versys and 500R rate the same at $540/YR.

The lady advised that the 500R is a very popular bike that attracks a lot of inexperience riders and also have a very high ratio of theft, they get stolen a lot and have a high rate of accidents. Now win there...

I guess I am scratching the 500R and Geico all together...  The best choice will be Versys/State Farm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:40:10 pm by SVNET » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Zerosum

Reputation 6

Miles Typed: 2733

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2009, 04:55:34 pm »

Yeah, just don't make a claim against them.  State Farm adjusters are reknown in the industry for being collosal pricks.  

I was hit by a woman who was insured with them... they're snakes.

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
SVNET

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: Cruiser
Miles Typed: 281

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2009, 05:35:10 pm »

Yeah, just don't make a claim against them.  State Farm adjusters are reknown in the industry for being collosal pricks.  

I was hit by a woman who was insured with them... they're snakes.

What I have to say to that is, they are all the same, they are all evil, just pray that nothing goes wrong...

3yrs ego I had a bike wreck.
Per the dealer, my bike was total, it had major frame damage.
Brand new bike with only 500mi, Dealer said it would be cheaper to buy new then to repair.
Geico adjuster was a snake as well, he refused to total the bike or pay for shop repairs.
I had to hire an attorney to get Geico to pay the repair shop, so that they would release the bike.
The bike never ran straight after that, it always pulled to the right, Frame in fact was twisted.
The whole thing was a complete mess between the shop trying to milk and Geico not wanting to pay.
The best insurance you can have is, do not get into any wrecks...  That is full proof coverage.

The only thing that makes it or breaks it for me, is customer service.
If you quote me a rate yesterday, don't tell me today that you can't find no record of it on your system.

After the experience I had with State Farm today, I am sold, not only for the lower rates, but because the way I was treated and all their efforts into earning my business...

I just got the quote back for all my Autos, I will be saving $280/YR with all matched coverages, plus I am getting the discounted rate for the bike. 10/20/10 LIB, UM, $500 DED Comp and Collision.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:42:32 pm by SVNET » Logged
Advertisement

artyboy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '71 cl175, '92 Virago, '08 GSX650F
Miles Typed: 74

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2009, 08:01:56 pm »

I've heard some great things from State Farm.  All of those recommendations came from motorcyclists.  They were just a little high for me to go with them, though when I was shopping but I'm probably going to give them another shot with all of my cars and everything else included.
FlashZer

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2009, 10:18:53 am »

If I was to go down in displacement I'd aswell absolutely wish to go down in weight, so that would advance me appear the 650R. The administration aswell seems nicer, and the all atramentous looks VERY nice. And account is cheaper. Just seems like a bigger buy.

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR, 2009 Monster (wife's)
GPS: Boston
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2009, 10:15:10 pm »

Anybody read BiKE October, 2009 comparison between the FZ6R, GSX650F and Ninja 650? (who cares about the Mana GT) curious who won...
Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2009, 02:20:41 pm »

I am certainly finding that out.  

A data point for prospective buyers to consider-  Result of a 50mph lowside on a 650r?  No damage to frame, engine, forks, and ten minutes of work to the transmission.  These bikes feel cheap when you first sit on them, but they're stout as hell.

Total cost to replace fairing, frame & axle sliders, windshield, etc is about $1500.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:25:44 pm by Fourstring » Logged

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
pamfs1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: GSX650F
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2009, 07:46:36 pm »

Hello everyone! Smile

I justed wanted to say that I have bought Suzuki GSX 650F (2008 model) as my first bike! Smile Partially thanks to this forum thread Smile

I actually got my education on Ninja 600R, but i find it quite nervious and very light weighted...

Suzuki, is very balanced, very stable, i feel very safe having the weight under me Smile It is very calm, i am able to release the gas without any problems and keep going... i am actually used to keeping my right hand free more than the left one - cougld't do that with Ninja.
GSX650F is yet quite powerful, it was always able to get me going fast! Aceleration is a blast ! and i am still running within the first 1000km, so i can't go up in to the high revs...but i must say, this bike forgives you the wrong gears, and i am able to drive on 4-5th gear about 40 km/h without realizing it...

it may be a little bit heavy for newcommers, or short people...but it has really grown on me...I have stoped feeling it after about 100 km. It was heavy on the feet though, at the first week. But i did manage to do the figure of 8 and etc for the driving exam on kawasaki 600R without anyproblems on the first go after driving Suzuki...

Sure GSX650F is not very agile, but on the motorway it is extremely pleasent to drive, and even in the city it takes the curves great!  it is just not light enough for traffic madness...but maybe, it's just me not being skilled enough.

Breaks are great, and the engine aids a lot in stopping power. Plus you feel almost no vibrations from the engine.

in total - GREAT bike, i love it. I actually bought it without ever trying it...and i was pleasently surprised!

The funny thing is: At first my driving instructed said it was a bad idea getting a big bike as the first...he said it is too clumsy, too big for the city...so i gave him to try it for 30 minutes in the city traffic. And he told me that when i decide to sell it in the future...i should talk to him Smile Haha ha He was very impressed with it too...

And just if you are interested ...why km and all...I am Russian, and I live and drive in Italy Smile

PS: i was considering Yamaha too...but i saw a FZ6R crashed on the day i was getting a motocycle...and i thought it was a bad sign...

PSS: GSX650F is not a common bike...which means that it is less likely to be stolen. Cause here a lot of motorbikes are stolen and then sold for parts at the black market...especially this is common for popular models....

I will be glad if someone finds my comments usefull.- oh...GSX650F also has a fuel and gear gauge...very useful to me Smile
bogdani0405

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Suzuki RF400
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2009, 09:16:20 pm »

Hi all,

I'm a rider from Romania, and yes we speak English and write in this language also. That being said, I want to tell you that I'm leaning towards the GSX650F becaue I think this bike manages the town traffic and the long rides also. I'm more of a practical guy and I think this bike has the corect price/performance/quality ratio. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, try a smaller engine for the start. I started with my '96 Suzuki RF 400, a great bike for a beginner.

I can recommend for whoever wants a new bike, but not to a beginner, the SV650SF, a very nice bike. My brother has one and he likes it very much, good MPG(or Litres/100Km in the European system), I have some friends with Ducati Monster who are jealous on the SV's mileage, and now with the crisis and the big prices for gas, we are paying 1,33 dollars/litre(that means ~5,05$/gallon) in a country where minimum wage is around 180$, the less a bike drinks more Km(or miles) we ride.

Best weather

You eat, you die, you don't eat you still die... you drink you die, you don't drink, you still die...

Don't ride faster than your angel can fly...
pamfs1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: GSX650F
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2009, 10:38:36 am »

Hi all,

I'm a rider from Romania, and yes we speak English and write in this language also. That being said, I want to tell you that I'm leaning towards the GSX650F becaue I think this bike manages the town traffic and the long rides also. I'm more of a practical guy and I think this bike has the corect price/performance/quality ratio. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, try a smaller engine for the start. I started with my '96 Suzuki RF 400, a great bike for a beginner.

I can recommend for whoever wants a new bike, but not to a beginner, the SV650SF, a very nice bike. My brother has one and he likes it very much, good MPG(or Litres/100Km in the European system), I have some friends with Ducati Monster who are jealous on the SV's mileage, and now with the crisis and the big prices for gas, we are paying 1,33 dollars/litre(that means ~5,05$/gallon) in a country where minimum wage is around 180$, the less a bike drinks more Km(or miles) we ride.

Best weather

I must say thet having it as the first bike never brought me trouble, i actually love the extra weight, as it makes me feel more secured... the only time i droped it, was when i had all the bags packed with 40kg of extra weight and with a full tank...and it was my own falt, i forgot about the extra weight on it and had my legs relaxed.

The drop didn't do any damage at all actually, as the lights popped inside the fairing, which was designed to do so by the enginers. (the indicator lights have a rubber mount that holds them in place, with extra presure they pop inside, and can be easily restored to the original position with a screwdriver).

PS: I was able to lift it up on my own! and quite quickly as well. Just lifted it up on one side and pushed as much as i could. Was ready to go in 5 minutes. (i still had to take off all the bags though, but it didn't take long)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:51:20 am by pamfs1 » Logged
gwrx64

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: GS500F SV650N

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2009, 03:52:29 pm »

Great info shared on these bikes.

I currently have a 2004 GS500F and a 2007 SV650N.  I really like the handling of the GS since it is very communicative and relaxing to ride even in the twistys of N. GA mountains.  The SV is obviously much faster, quicker, and newer electronics, but the handling is terrible.  I feel like I'm riding a knife's edge and any turn/curve requires full attention and constant corrections.  When I'm done riding it, my mind is more tired than my muscles. Crazy

Of the three bikes in the poll, I've only riden the FZ6R and that was a demo at Road Atlanta so real world experience is none.  I can say that it was a refined bike but lacking in the power departement.  My top speed in the back straight was 113mph and then the engine's rev limiter prevented higher speed.  Again, riding it all out on the track, I dont know what it would be like in stop-n-go or just touring.

Can anyone make a comparison of one of the poll bikes to the GS500F?  I'm 6' 180lbs. and can flat foot most bikes I've sat on.  If I can find the characteristics of the GS only with more power, FI, and better gauges (read as gas gauge or light Wink), I think I will have found nirvana.  Based on this thread, I'm hoping the GSX is the answer.
dankatz

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2009, 07:32:57 pm »

European Bike magazine compared the three and the Aprilia Shiver GT. The Shiver GT won, but is much more expensive and is much less reliable. The Ninja 650 (the new 2009 model) was dead last. The GSX and the FZ6R ties each with their own strengths. Yamaha's quality suspension and better fuel economy vs the Suzuki's larger and more powerful engine. Yamaha atad more flickable, but Suzuki is better for gobbling miles.  Each bike would suit different people. I think the newer Ninja is a big improvement both in vibration damping and in instrumentation. Still, I would probably get the Suzuki for its wonderful engine/transmission. Currently I ride an FZ6S2 which I really like. Much more powerful, but needs to be revved compared to the others.
As for your comments, best suspension is on the Yamaha, but you would need to rev it. The GS650F has better suspension than tha SV and newer SVF. I don't think you would be disappointed in the GSX650F unless you are looking for a much racier bike. In that case i would recommend the GSXR750.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:37:02 pm by dankatz » Logged
wolf46

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: vtx1300c(gone), FZ6R
GPS: Rhode Island, USA
Miles Typed: 193

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2009, 08:23:28 pm »

European Bike magazine compared the three and the Aprilia Shiver GT. The Shiver GT won, but is much more expensive and is much less reliable. The Ninja 650 (the new 2009 model) was dead last. The GSX and the FZ6R ties each with their own strengths. Yamaha's quality suspension and better fuel economy vs the Suzuki's larger and more powerful engine. Yamaha atad more flickable, but Suzuki is better for gobbling miles.  Each bike would suit different people. I think the newer Ninja is a big improvement both in vibration damping and in instrumentation. Still, I would probably get the Suzuki for its wonderful engine/transmission. Currently I ride an FZ6S2 which I really like. Much more powerful, but needs to be revved compared to the others.
As for your comments, best suspension is on the Yamaha, but you would need to rev it. The GS650F has better suspension than tha SV and newer SVF. I don't think you would be disappointed in the GSX650F unless you are looking for a much racier bike. In that case i would recommend the GSXR750.

Yes the FZ6 that you have needs more revving to start from stop but the FZ6R doesn't, much lower torque band. The GSX650F for highway miles does seem more comfortable and lower revs but for 2 lane blacktop for hours on end the FZ6R is comfortable AND fun.  Bigsmile

dankatz

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2009, 08:28:33 pm »

Yeah, I read that the FZ6R has 20% more power at 6k rpm than my FZ6S2 which is very difficult for me to believe (how can you chop off 20hp and still get 20% more power at 6k rpm!). I would be very curious to ride the FZ6R at some point. I also hear tha transmisison and clutch engagement is a little smoother.
wolf46

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: vtx1300c(gone), FZ6R
GPS: Rhode Island, USA
Miles Typed: 193

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2009, 07:07:49 am »

Transmission little better than last bike (VTX1300) but the clutch is butter smooth and lightest pull I've ever used.

mescol

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Suzuki GSX650F
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2009, 05:16:13 pm »

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1603/img1023if.jpg

My precious Smile
aTahmission
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: CBR600rr, R6
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 74

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2010, 11:35:17 am »

I think the FZ6 would be my choice, though I believe the fact it's engine is essentially a detuned/retuned R6 mill, it's perhaps not the ideal choice for someone who's looking for his or her entry into the wonderful world of sport touring.  I think the "R" is likely built to fit that niche, as I assume the standard FZ6 has a peaky powerband and enough umpf to get an inexperienced rider into trouble.

Where do we come from?  What are we?  Where are we going?  I don't know about you mortals, but it's pavement I seek.
knolltop314

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 GSX650F
GPS: NW of St Louis
Miles Typed: 1015

My Photo Gallery

So, what's the problem?

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »

My precious Smile

Hehhhhhhhh Mescol, fancy seeing you here!
And that's one sweeeeeet lookin bike you have there.

+-+-Michael-+-+
Crackedpot

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 06 Katana 750
GPS: Albany, NY
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:17 pm »

My precious Smile

Wow! Suzuki needs to sell a black one like this!
mikeswitzer12

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: suzuki, kawasaki

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2010, 07:04:00 pm »

Okay let me break it down:
I currently own the 650f and the 650r 2009's, here is my opinion on which bike is better.

A friend and I raced on the drag strip 100 yard dash and a circle track. I used the 650f first and he used my 650r, i beat him with the 650f on both of the races. Then we switched and i rode the 650r and he rode the 650f, he ended up smashing on me with the 650f! on both Tracks.....

Conclusion: The 650f is all around a better bike, the engine is basically bulletproof. I keep reading that people say it is heavy..... when your riding it you cant tell the different between both of the bike's weight.
The 650f has more torque and power, plus your gonna smash on the 650r in the long run because the 650f is a 4cyclinder while the 650r is only a twin. You got to realize both these bikes ARE NOT track bikes!!! they are sport/touring. If you want a track bike then get a gsx-r600 or a zx6r.

FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE WEIGHT- if you plan on taking the bike on the freeway your gonna want more weight so your don't get blown around like a feather! try taking a light bike on the freeway and you'll know what i'm talking about. my 2cents  Bigok
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal