Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Added the Stage 1, FuelPak and pipes.  (Read 17038 times)

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:40:45 pm »

Added the stage one filter kit, Vance and Hines FuelPak and slip ons..
Biggest pain was the FuelPak, which I did first.  There just is so little space under the seat of the Dyna with all the other electrical connectors that it took a while to get everything to fit.  It really helped to watch their video online, and if I did it again it would be a peace o cake as I now know the best way for all of it to fit together.
After plugging it all together, programming it was the easiest thing there is, just following the instructions.
Then, I added the airfilter kit.  A piece o cake, and just makes you wonder why the stock one isn't like this...  Rolleyes  This filter can suck air in from all sides, the stocker has a small opening that feeds it.  I then reused the stock cover (cuz i think it's purty) and did NOT put in the orange Screaming Eagle emblem as that is just ugly IMO.
Next, the slip ons.  I did not want to add pipes but there is no option with the Dyna if you do the Fuel Pak.  The b1tch was getting the 'old' ones off.  Once that was done everything went smoothly.
Then, fired 'er up.  Actually I let my 4 year old nephew do this as a reward for eating all his lunch!  Man does this thing rumble like a hot rod now, and burbles sweetly on the overrun.  The FI is perfect, Vance and Hines really did a good job with the set up.  The best part is that when I'm sitting at a light, it is noticeably running cooler.  No more toasty thighs!
p.s. my Ducati St4s is louder...

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

chornbe

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:31:09 am »

Awesome. Glad you noticed the difference, too. Bigok

Yeah, that FuelPak should be a design model for a LOT of other after market bits. Easy. As. Pie. Simple product, basic but good and functional assembly. And 2/3 the price of the Power Commander. I give it Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Oh, that Screaming Eagle trim ring makes better decoration on the toolbox than on the bike. I couldn't bring myself to put that hideous piece of crap on my machine.
st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:58:03 am »

Added the stage one filter kit, Vance and Hines FuelPak and slip ons..
Biggest pain was the FuelPak, which I did first.  There just is so little space under the seat of the Dyna with all the other electrical connectors that it took a while to get everything to fit.  It really helped to watch their video online, and if I did it again it would be a peace o cake as I now know the best way for all of it to fit together.
After plugging it all together, programming it was the easiest thing there is, just following the instructions.
Then, I added the airfilter kit.  A piece o cake, and just makes you wonder why the stock one isn't like this...  Rolleyes  This filter can suck air in from all sides, the stocker has a small opening that feeds it.  I then reused the stock cover (cuz i think it's purty) and did NOT put in the orange Screaming Eagle emblem as that is just ugly IMO.
Next, the slip ons.  I did not want to add pipes but there is no option with the Dyna if you do the Fuel Pak.  The b1tch was getting the 'old' ones off.  Once that was done everything went smoothly.
Then, fired 'er up.  Actually I let my 4 year old nephew do this as a reward for eating all his lunch!  Man does this thing rumble like a hot rod now, and burbles sweetly on the overrun.  The FI is perfect, Vance and Hines really did a good job with the set up.  The best part is that when I'm sitting at a light, it is noticeably running cooler.  No more toasty thighs!
p.s. my Ducati St4s is louder...

Congrats on successfully paying the "Harley Tax", which is a "must" IMO, ie "Stage 1" in order to get them to sound like a HD should, and running better than the EPA settings.

I'm not sure about newer Dynas, but on my 2003, there were "service loops" parts of the wiring harness than could be pulled out of the frame to ease electrical work. One at the front in the back bone by the headstock, one at the rear above the swing arm *IIRC.* Look for squarish rubber plugs in the frame to access the loops, ie pull them out. They stretch out considerably, and it allows for more slack for working with those underseat components.

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
Advertisement

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:28:19 am »

Congrats on successfully paying the "Harley Tax", which is a "must" IMO, ie "Stage 1" in order to get them to sound like a HD should, and running better than the EPA settings.

I paid that 'tax' on my Ducati too, and judging by all the people I know who have Japanese bikes, they pay the 'tax' too to fix their surging/lean FI systems and fill the dips in their powercurves.  Whether they are riding GSXRs, CBRs, Yams etc etc.  I had to on my Suzi TL.
Butt hay, that's ok.  It's only an 'tax' if it's a Harley...

gritsngravy

Reputation 4

Miles Typed: 1037

My Photo Gallery

Motors: BKing! - VFR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:02 pm »

For God's sakes ST Ryder do not speak ill of the Holy Harley for the very air...... nay our very lives will be meaningless and frought with damnation if we criticize such greatness.  
chornbe

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:55:20 pm »

For God's sakes ST Ryder do not speak ill of the Holy Harley for the very air...... nay our very lives will be meaningless and frought with damnation if we criticize such greatness.  

Uuuh. No. Criticize implies some level of objective understanding of the product being discussed.

Most Harley bashers are just in it because it's what all the cool kids are doing.

The king of the block (in this case, the block is cruiser-style motorcycles) is always the easy Target. Look at Microsoft, DuPont, and Nike. Anyone at the top of their market segment is always going to draw the most ire. Ducati and BMW have among the highest failure rates and most atrocious  warranty service satisfaction, but since they're both underdog heroes, the apologists and devotees bash the bashers the hardest.

But goodness forbid someone who actually can speak with authority on Harleys dare open his mouth and discount the baseless rumors.... (sigh)

How's this for blind Harley faith for ya... I'm a little over a year and 20k miles in to my Harley ownership experience... I've had to pay lots of $$$ to cool down my '08 machine, the '09 redesign fixes a LOT of decade-old problems with the previous generation bikes that should have been addressed years ago and STILL there are no reasonable radial or low-profile tires available for the Harleys (pre-'09), the Soft Tail "B" engine should be the primary engine style due to shaking and Harley's fear of the core demographic going away is holding them back from real progress away from their conventional engine design. And all of this makes me angry, as a customer who owns $25K+ worth of Harley machines. But they're still better than the competition in TCO, and many other facets.

Oh, and Harley doesn't build sport bikes, so why the hell people keep comparing them to things like FJRs and Z750s and C14s is beyond me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:01:18 pm by chornbe » Logged
ray6576

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: EletraGlide Classic 2007
GPS: Unionville, VA
Miles Typed: 418

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:12:57 am »

Oh, and Harley doesn't build sport bikes, so why the hell people keep comparing them to things like FJRs and Z750s and C14s is beyond me.

They just like to go faster than their brains can think. Lol Lol Sad

I would rather die standing on my feet as a free man than to live on my knees as a slave.
st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 09:27:18 am »

Oh I wasn't trying to be facetious when I said "congratulations" re paying the "HD tax", I meant congratulations for taking the IMO  inevitable "next step" of HD ownership and freeing up that Big Twin's breathing from the EPA gag order and letting it sing. Oh, and I'm not talking straight/race pipes either, but rather a nicely tuned system that's not obnoxiously loud. Some folks actually keep their HD BT's stock, and others debate the pros and cons for a while, (I did for a year) but when one goes "stage 1" it's a great feeling when you hear those pipes rumble and realise "that's my bike making that sweet music. " Smile

Oh, and though I agree "stage 1" *can* be done on almost any bike, some actually need it while others don't benefit nearly as much. As HD's have that elusive "soul" made palpable through their signature rumble, they really benefit from getting rid of the "souless bureaucracy's'" imposed restrictions, but soulless bikes just get louder. Smile I can't tell the difference between an idling Hayabusa with a pipe, or an idling 600cc super sport with a pipe  Headscratch but I can sure tell the difference in sound when a BT is set free.  It stirs the soul. Smile
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:29:09 am by st ryder » Logged

Regards,

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:03:37 am »

Back to it, me and the g/f were just tooling around LA and the south bay yesterday (Sunday).  Started out early, rode to a breakfast joint in El Segundo that we had never tried before. but the sign for $2.99 breakfast special sucked us in.  2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 bacon, 2 sausage.  Screaming deal! Good too, we'll be back.  Same thing in LA 'proper' is about $10...
But I digress, after that rode around Palos Verdes peninsula, then headed back.  Still wanted to keep going so we decided to ride to Hollywood to check out a costume store (Halloween coming up etc).  Basically an excuse to keep riding.  Anyway, the city traffic was more horrible than normal as parts of the Melrose area was closed off for a 'special' event.  So we spent an awful long time idling in traffic.  Before the stage 1 kit was added, I would be feeling some serious heat.  But now there honestly was very little discomfort.  This was the first real test and I have to say that I am more pleased than I could have imagined.
To anyone thinking about it, do the stage 1 and add the V&H Fuelpak.  It really does make that significant a difference. More powah, more long term reliability + much less heat.

gritsngravy

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 01:20:54 am »

Uuuh. No. Criticize implies some level of objective understanding of the product being discussed.

Most Harley bashers are just in it because it's what all the cool kids are doing.

The king of the block (in this case, the block is cruiser-style motorcycles) is always the easy Target. Look at Microsoft, DuPont, and Nike. Anyone at the top of their market segment is always going to draw the most ire. Ducati and BMW have among the highest failure rates and most atrocious  warranty service satisfaction, but since they're both underdog heroes, the apologists and devotees bash the bashers the hardest.

But goodness forbid someone who actually can speak with authority on Harleys dare open his mouth and discount the baseless rumors.... (sigh)

How's this for blind Harley faith for ya... I'm a little over a year and 20k miles in to my Harley ownership experience... I've had to pay lots of $$$ to cool down my '08 machine, the '09 redesign fixes a LOT of decade-old problems with the previous generation bikes that should have been addressed years ago and STILL there are no reasonable radial or low-profile tires available for the Harleys (pre-'09), the Soft Tail "B" engine should be the primary engine style due to shaking and Harley's fear of the core demographic going away is holding them back from real progress away from their conventional engine design. And all of this makes me angry, as a customer who owns $25K+ worth of Harley machines. But they're still better than the competition in TCO, and many other facets.

Yikes!!!   Back away from the Harley and get fitted for your jacket sir!!  
chornbe

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:02:36 am »

Your inability to handle rational discussion is not my problem.

Move along, moving along.
Geoff

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: Harley Fat Boy, Honda ST1100
GPS: Northern Illinois
Miles Typed: 1847

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:10:18 am »

People are jealous of Harley's success.   Wink
gritsngravy

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 03:06:02 pm »

Your inability to handle rational discussion is not my problem.

Move along, moving along.

We all ride for various reasons....me it's all about fun.  Same thing with the interwebs, especially a bike site like this.    You and a few others here seem to be ultra sensitive to any comment YOU deem to be incorrect or somehow critical of a particular machine.   Hey if that's your bag, keep living in it.  

Hate to use an over quoted line but it's just soo appropriate......lighten up Frances.
chornbe

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »

We all ride for various reasons....me it's all about fun.  Same thing with the interwebs, especially a bike site like this.    You and a few others here seem to be ultra sensitive to any comment YOU deem to be incorrect or somehow critical of a particular machine.   Hey if that's your bag, keep living in it.  

Hate to use an over quoted line but it's just soo appropriate......lighten up Frances.

There is a difference between having an informed opinion and just plain being wrong.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 05:23:30 pm »

Like I said earlier:

I paid that 'tax' on my Ducati too, and judging by all the people I know who have Japanese bikes, they pay the 'tax' too to fix their surging/lean FI systems and fill the dips in their powercurves.  Whether they are riding GSXRs, CBRs, Yams etc etc.  I had to on my Suzi TL.
Butt hay, that's ok.  It's only an 'tax' if it's a Harley...

Look at how many people go to Dale Walker/Holeshot to 'fix' their Suzuki Bandits.
Or how many people remove the butterflies from their ZX14s
Or or or

But as they're not Harleys then it's ok.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.  (ok maybe not finest but pretty high up there   Razz  )
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:25:01 pm by atadaskew » Logged

chornbe

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 05:48:56 pm »

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:15 am »

Like I said earlier:

Look at how many people go to Dale Walker/Holeshot to 'fix' their Suzuki Bandits.
Or how many people remove the butterflies from their ZX14s
Or or or

But as they're not Harleys then it's ok.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.  (ok maybe not finest but pretty high up there   Razz  )

Yes, but those are "race pipes" to improve performance for serious, skillfull riders, not just "loud pipes" to be another poseur in the gay pirate parade.  Wink

Regards,

ray6576

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: EletraGlide Classic 2007
GPS: Unionville, VA
Miles Typed: 418

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 08:57:35 am »

Yes, but those are "race pipes" to improve performance for serious, skillfull riders, not just "loud pipes" to be another poseur in the gay pirate parade.  Wink

Are you sure that they are skillfull or just getting attention just like the "loud pipes saves lives" group.
 Headscratch Lol Lol

I would rather die standing on my feet as a free man than to live on my knees as a slave.
chornbe

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:18 am »

Are you sure that they are skillfull or just getting attention just like the "loud pipes saves lives" group.
 Headscratch Lol Lol

Methinks thou meter of sarcasm needs finer adjustment. Wink
rockinjc

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ducati ST3s, M750
GPS: Mid Michigan
Miles Typed: 610

My Photo Gallery

Problem between seat and grips

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 11:24:34 am »

Sport-Touring bikes are what this site is about!

j

Yes, red IS faster
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal