Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2007 Vancouver Island Ride Thread  (Read 8724 times)

Solusar
A rider with a dual-sport

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '87 Honda Transalp
GPS: Van. Island, BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 47

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 09:19:29 pm »

I would've or even could've, but then I didn't have to work either. So....I didn't either. Figures it would rain though.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

00buck

Reputation 0

GPS: Victoria, BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 70

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 12:07:54 am »

Does anyone want to ride into the hills to see a crashed WW2 bomber?

It's still there scattered on the top of Mt Bolduc near Lake Cowichan. The six airmen were all killed and are buried in a cave at the site. It is very humbling to view this.

A paved ride from Victoria to Honeymoon Bay then about 20 KM of gravel logging road with a steep grade near the top. Ok for V-Stroms, a GS, any dualsport or even mid size street bikes.

Come join us at Tim Hortons near Costco in Langford (Victoria) Sunday the 23rd at 0800.  Bigok

likes dirt
bubba zanetti

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 01:01:55 am »

I have long heard about this crew and ride ... I only wish I could partake and pay my respects to those who gave their lives.

Do take photos and please ... please include my thoughts when you are near their remains.

Having flown a few hundred hours over the area myself, I can understand how a forced landing could go so easily wrong ... yikes.!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 01:04:31 am by bubba zanetti » Logged
Advertisement

ToadRide

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2014 V2
GPS: Nelson BC
Miles Typed: 1113

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 07:58:50 pm »

Damn. Wish I had my Duelly now. Damn.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!
00buck

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 10:56:17 pm »

Doug, you could ride with us from Victoria to Honeymoon Bay on your B12. Or further if you don't mind getting the B12 a little dirty.  Bigsmile

Another pic of the on-site memorial. Hope you can read it.

It used to be difficult getting to the crash site....ride up as far as possible then hike up the last 1,000 ft.  

Now the logging rd goes right past it making it easy for anyone to get to. It's marked with a sign stating...

This is a war grave. Do not take anything from this site.... so guess whats happening.

likes dirt
00buck

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 12:59:46 am »

I have long heard about this crew and ride ... I only wish I could partake and pay my respects to those who gave their lives.

Do take photos and please ... please include my thoughts when you are near their remains.

Having flown a few hundred hours over the area myself, I can understand how a forced landing could go so easily wrong ... yikes.!

Will do Bubba. They were flying too low in fog and clipped the trees at the top of the mountain..

Did you know the logging rd from Port Renfrew to Lake Cowichan has just been paved?  Makes a nice street bike circle trip of 300 km from Victoria. Lots of twisties on that stretch but watch out for bears.  Crazy

likes dirt
bubba zanetti

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 06:48:30 am »

That was a Lockheed Ventura. A coastal patrol aircraft. Thanks I did some Google.

No, I did not know the road had been paved. Wow. My old stomping grounds as we used to fish Harris Creek for steelhead and Len's Creek for trout. I know the area very well.  Time to buy property in Port Renfrew !!
00buck

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 11:18:53 am »

It's too late. Property in Port Renfrew has skyrocketed. A big developer bought half the area.
Even Jordan River is expanding with new subdivisions. Western Forest Products is selling the beautiful beach campground which really has people pissed off. Some developer might fill it with houses and condos. It should have been turned into a seaside park or provincial campground.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=bb395139-5c48-4ad0-a8c8-e104f179564e

We will ride back on Gordon Main through PR and JR today. Our old stomping grounds is changing fast due to high land values.  Crazy

likes dirt
bora80

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1990 Honda VFR 750
GPS: Victoria, BC
Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 12:30:27 am »

It's too late. Property in Port Renfrew has skyrocketed. A big developer bought half the area.
Even Jordan River is expanding with new subdivisions. Western Forest Products is selling the beautiful beach campground which really has people pissed off. Some developer might fill it with houses and condos. It should have been turned into a seaside park or provincial campground.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=bb395139-5c48-4ad0-a8c8-e104f179564e

We will ride back on Gordon Main through PR and JR today. Our old stomping grounds is changing fast due to high land values.  Crazy

Well that sucks, one of the last of the free camping is going to disappear Sad  I can just see the resort that will go up.

Live Life Once, Don\'t Wait For A Second Chance !
rocketdoc
Hi ho Cerulean Silver

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: FJR1300A
Miles Typed: 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 04:43:21 pm »

Anyone interested in a Remembrance Day Ride?  Victoria start to ?  Gold River? Campbell River?  Tofino?  Early start say 8-8:30 from Tim's at Future Shop...  Dually's welcome but I'm not taking the FJR into the mud!!

Grip it and Rip it.Burnout
Hi ho Cerulean Silver..............................awa y!!
ToadRide

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2014 V2
GPS: Nelson BC
Miles Typed: 1113

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 11:26:29 am »

Too bad my B12's in hibernation, Doc. The Rdoc and Rjock could have gone for a spin.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!
rocketdoc
Hi ho Cerulean Silver

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »

The day ride to Gold River is going on Nov 12, Monday!  Meeting at Timmie's at 8 am, coffee up and blast off.

00buck

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 01:55:23 pm »

Thats a long haul in November  Bigok  See you there for a coffee RD.  It's been awhile!

likes dirt
rocketdoc
Hi ho Cerulean Silver

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 12:23:24 am »

Hey Mike , don't remember the fog ride home we had two years ago?  Long day, but without the fog it would have been sweet.
you comin'?

00buck

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 02:38:58 am »

I remember John, it was a good ride! I am planning to go all right.  I'll PM a few of the other guys too. Have you ridden the chip sealed route from Lake Cow to PR yet?

likes dirt
00buck

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 02:42:18 am »

Too bad my B12's in hibernation, Doc. The Rdoc and Rjock could have gone for a spin.

You will have the new KLR by then Doug so bring it out. I'll be on the DR650 since the FZ1 is uninsured now.

likes dirt
00buck

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 11:24:16 pm »

Well the weather looks ugly for a street ride. I was out in the mud today...it was cold, wet and windy, good fun... but the trucks heater felt mighty good afterwards!

likes dirt
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal